Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nia Jax

Nia Jax

Why is Nia playing the challenger in the match against Rousey, when she is the champ? Dumb.

Also having Nia and Rousey w/o mouthpieces is terrible.

It was a nice moment at Mania, genuinely emotional and heart warming but since then it has gone downhill fast, very fast. Unfortunately the fears most had about her inexperience have proven very true and the thought of her in the ring with Rousey really worries me, especially since she was pulled out of 1-1 house matches with perhaps the most experienced hand in the locker room Mickie James.

The Brain
    I really liked the run up to 'Mania but yeah, it seems like Nia isn't a good choice for a long term champ right now. If they are serious about going all in on Rousey right away, maybe the match will be very short? Then she can have longer matches with more experienced hands. I still feel like some shenanigans will keep the belt off Rousey, but if they feel there is a risk with Nia there's no way they're going to put Rousey in danger.

I wonder what is next for Jax, if she gets dealt with decisively there isn't much for her to do, a giant stripped of their dominance is one of the hardest characters to rehab properly particularly without a mid card or tag team division to hang out with.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Why is Nia playing the challenger in the match against Rousey, when she is the champ? Dumb.
    Because as far as WWE are concerned Rousey > All. Nia should be priviliged just to be considered by Rousey to share a ring with her, so they have to make her appear like she's challenging Rousey rather than Rousey 'lowering' herself to Nia's level.

The simplest thing to do with this match is have Nia truck through Rousey and dominate her. Suggest that Rousey has more to do to really hang with the top of the women's division, and assert Nia as the dominant woman on Raw.

You can then have Rousey build herself back up, either through working her way through the division to earn a new shot, one that is coated with a redemption arc as she goes up against Nia again. Nia can continue to dominate the other women on Raw in title matches in the mean time.

WWE have completely booked themselves into a corner, because there's the train of thought that Rousey shouldn't lose now because then she just becomes 'one of them' in the roster of women, instead of being 'Ronda Rousey'. But her whole MMA to WWE story has been about finding redemption for her losses in MMA, she even brought it up in interviews after WrestleMania - I think with ESPN - that she could finally contextualise them and be thankful for them because they had brought her to WWE and this point. So I think they can build on that into something really meaningful, a storyline that helps her develop as a character within the WWE world that's more than just 'Ronda Rousey - fangril' and is actually 'Ronda Rousey - complex character'.

The Brain
    I think it's a difficult balance, because Rousey does have a special appeal, and part of that is being seen as one of the most dangerous women in the world, a title she's already earned despite the way her UFC career finished up. So I'm not sure what the best strategy is. Definitely agree WWE is in a corner, and I'm really not sure what the best solution is.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan
    I think it's a difficult balance, because Rousey does have a special appeal, and part of that is being seen as one of the most dangerous women in the world, a title she's already earned despite the way her UFC career finished up. So I'm not sure what the best strategy is. Definitely agree WWE is in a corner, and I'm really not sure what the best solution is.
    Non-finish or DQ finish!

Twitter: @libsuperstar

The Brain
    Yeah, that's the best thing I can think of. That or the MITB cash in option.

Looks like Nia is heel again. So she is going to be The Big Show of the women's division.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    Looks like Nia is heel again. So she is going to be The Big Show of the women's division.
    In more ways than 1. Nia, like Show, should be an unstoppable monster, who when she gets beat in a match, it should be by some shenanigans, i.e. countout, DQ, run-in, etc. But no, the WWE is going to waste her size and athletic ability for nothing, by feeding her to Rousey right now.

Also, it doesn't help Nia's cause that she cannot use the microphone at all. She makes a young Roman look amazing. Why can't we have Heyman as her mouthpiece

I feel like unless you want them to be a long running champion a giant is a very difficult beast to book over a long period. The whole point of them is that they are going to get beaten by a hero but every time a hero finally beats them it becomes a little less special.

Years ago they could just disapear for a few months or go to another territory but nowadays they have to turn up to the show the next week after they finally got conquered and find a way to keep their unstoppable aura even though they just got stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    I feel like unless you want them to be a long running champion a giant is a very difficult beast to book over a long period.
    Yep, absolutely. There's a reason Andre wasn't really ever booked as a world champion for more than about 30 seconds.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I feel like that's a manufactured problem, to a certain extent. If the giant is popular enough to be champion, just let him or her be champion and roll over people until the crowd starts to get tired of it, then serve them a rare loss to whoever is hot below them.

I don't know if Nia is that kind of giant anyway, but I do wish they actually gave her a decent reason to turn heel. This smacks of the laziest kind of writing.

That's probably a decent enough attitude in today's market, where it's really something of a sausage making machine, coming up with all that TV. In the old days, people were thinking ahead a lot more and working to protect the in-ring assets a lot more, so burning through someone with a 'we'll do something else later' was less of a thing.

But yeah, for most of wrestling's history that's totally been a thing. Gorilla Monsoon, Andre, Haystacks Calhoun, Bundy... take your pick, that kind of act didn't win the big one and rarely held singles titles of any kind to my knowledge. Of course back then it was easily explained away, 'big names won't take the match, how are they supposed to climb the rankings', etc.

Though as you say Nia might be a different case. It's certainly a different time.

The Brain
    Solid point about the history of the giant character, but there were a lot fewer title reigns in general back then, and there was always a clear better option with those guys (Bruno, Hogan, Big Daddy, Hogan again, etc). Not sure if that's necessarily true today, with more people winning titles and less of a clear cut hot character that keeps the title all the time.

A reasonable point - but I'd say that's something to add in addition to what I'm saying, which is just that I've heard it said that it was a pretty widely held belief that those guys were 'special attractions', you didn't really beat them unless you absolutely had to (and sometimes not even then), and that you didn't put titles on them. It's absolutely something that a lot of old promoters believed: titles weren't for that kind of act.

As you say, very different time now - both in terms of attitudes to the product, to how it's written, and like you say, to the number of championship reigns that take place. And let's be honest, in the WWE if you booked Alexa to squash Nia like she was the lovechild of Khali and Kurrgan the same number of people would probably tune in the following week.

Either my reference to Alexa being the lovechild of Khali and Kurrgan killed the thread, or people really don't care about the whole thing with Nia chasing to get the title back.

The Brain
    She does feel like the afterthought at this point, surely the story is mainly focused around Ronda and Bliss at this point?

I was never a fan of hers (though I can appreciate the notion of having a big monster woman, just like how men have bigger dudes too). I thought her title program was atrocious, particularly the bullying promos, and I don't understand why Carmella and Jax are being given main event booking slots for the females, when they have much better all-around performers such as Sasha, Becky, Bayley, Asuka, Ember, etc., languishing in nothing feuds. They finally have a female roster worthy of being treated seriously, and they're still defaulting to the most greenest awful performers who would have struggled to stay afloat during the worst of the Diva's era? I don't get it. Then there's also the awful idea of jobbing both Asuka and Charlotte to Carmella. Just unfathomable.

Rumour is Jax has been in rehabilitation for a leg injury and will likely return soon.

I saw somewhere a Nia Jax/Roman Reigns Mixed Match Challenge team. I think it was fake but damn that would be badass.

All the mix match challenge teams have been selected as far as I know.

Seems like they are riding the backlash against Jax for the Becky incident and it looks set for Nia vs Rousey at TLC.

It's good that they are turning a negative into a positive, even if it makes me angry inside that Becky is sidelined because of her. They can use this as build up for a Mania match. Have Becky relinquish the SD womens title and then have her return at the Rumble to a big pop and she can win it. Then she can choose to take on Nia for the title at Mania. This is assuming Nia wins the Raw womens title against Ronda Rousey at TLC, which can happen. They could have Charlotte cost Ronda the belt and set up their Mania rematch. If Charlotte costs Ronda the match...

1. Ronda is protected even in a loss
    2. You plant the seeds for a rematch between Ronda and Charlotte, which doesn't need the title on the line
    3. You give Becky added incentive to go after Nia and you give her a payoff for (assumably) winning the Mania match
    4. You get the SD belt on someone other than Charlotte and Becky.

I know some people won't like the idea of Nia getting the belt and I know a Becky vs Nia match isn't as stellar as Ronda and Becky, but Ronda can challenge Becky down the line.

Ronda vs Becky is the match that the fans want. Anything else, including a triple threat with Charlotte (as rumors are circulating) is not what the fans want either.

Ronda vs Becky is the match that the fans want. Anything else, including a triple threat with Charlotte (as rumors are circulating) is not what the fans want either.
    Since when does Vince do what we want? =S

I know, but even with Charlotte taking center stage with the beat down on Rousey, sets up a Rumble match, and then Becky get Rousey at Mania.

I know, but even with Charlotte taking center stage with the beat down on Rousey, sets up a Rumble match, and then Becky get Rousey at Mania.
    I suppose so. Who does Charlotte face at Mania? (assuming the triple threat doesn't happen).

I don't know - part of me has an interest in any of the options. The truth is the fans just want Becky - it's not a case of Becky vs Ronda being wanted, but being what we were excited for because Becky has become the new hotness and that was a high profile bout we felt she deserved.

In all honesty, a big part of me wants a Charlotte Rumble win (assuming there is a Rumble) and move to Raw to do Ronda vs Charlotte II, while Becky gets challenged by Asuka. I'm pretty sure we haven't seen that second combination yet, and it interests me.

The only thing I don't expect WWE to do is put the title on Nia - sure, it's a heat magnet and easy to do, but I think they've already been to the well with Nia being champ once, and done Nia vs Ronda once already too, and it wasn't especially good. Part of that was around the storyline which...y'know, it always bothered me that WWE ran with that storyline, because Alexa's been very public about her eating disorders, and Nia about body positivity, and they ran a whole Total Divas episode about the two of them and that, plus the two were known as best friends in real life and did interviews together where they said they supported each other and, like, I get it, easy heat, whatever, make it look like a real dissolution of a friendship, but for me it was just not a good look for WWE? It takes very little to trigger someone who is surviving with an eating disorder, and I thought it was a bit too close for comfort to something that could have put the performers in harms way.

So anyway, yeah, I think with Nia tried as the champion and essentially not thriving in that role, I'm not sure they take the title from Ronda to put on her, especially when Ronda now has not one but two hot storylines coming in to Mania season.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Seems like they are riding the backlash against Jax for the Becky incident and it looks set for Nia vs Rousey at TLC.
    Warning... conspiracy theory coming...

Are they (management) pushing towards Ronda/Nia as retribution for Nia fucking up the SS plan of Ronda/Becky? Like... maybe they’re going this route and telling Ronda on the down low to shoot on Nia and fuck her up? Would be sweet justice and a lesson taught about being unsafe. Just a thought...

/conspiracytheory

I highly doubt that, if for no other reason that recipt if it comes, should come from Becky... But Nia broke her face lol so you're not going to intentionally send someone out there to hurt another co worker.. As much as I think Nia should have been punished, having anyone else do it is cheap.

I agree the receipt should come from Becky. And as bad as she (Becky) is... I don’t think she could really deliver a proper shoot on Nia. Hence... sending Ronda after Nia instead.

This isn't the 60s and 70s tho or even the 90s. Its likely deemed an accident and further, if Ronda shoots on Nia and Nia doesn't know its coming, you've got a shit show on your hands. Its not a good idea.

Yeah, you’re probably right.

The best way to treat this, is the pure wrestling way. Have Rousey squash Nia in under 2-3 minutes and have her tap that quickly. Then you depush her and job Nia out for a year. If she keeps her mouth shut and pays her price, then she can be rebuilt and made into a star.

This sound familiar? It was the punishment done to HHH for the Curtain Call. He took his punishment, while his best friends were pushed to the moon. HBk as champ, and Hall and Nash in WCW. BUT HHH took his punishment and his depush, and then he went on to become a mulit-time champion, and heir to the throne.

Well Hunter was about five months, rather than a year. And H still had TV squashes in that run to balance things out. Push it that long in the current TV climate and I'm not sure you could rebuild her anymore.

Hunter also had HBK to get him out of the doghouse sooner rather than later. Does Nia have somebody like that?

Alexa Bliss. And if she wanted to, Becky could go to management and come to Nia's defense that it was an accident.

Are Bliss and Jax as tight like HHH and HBK were?

I actually don't think much is really going to come from it either way.

Edit: I don't know if they are as tight but safe to say no one has the influence on management HBK had in '96.