Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    If you enjoy single player first-person shooters enough, the Wolfenstein series is fun to play, and the older games in the series like The New Order and The Old Blood should be plenty cheap by this point. I wouldn't classify them as "must-play", though.

EDIT: Started Ori and the Blind Forest today and that opening scene hit me right in the feels hard. A tear might have flowed from my eyes. I was not prepared for that.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 02-05-2020 at 09:21 AM.

The Brain
    Oh MAN, that opening... thanks for reminding me!

I just wrapped up Ori and the Blind Forest. What a lovely game that was. Everything was on point. The controls and the game mechanics is fluid, the graphics are gorgeous, the music is outstanding, and story is simple but very touching. I really can't say a bad thing about it, besides that it took shorter than I expected. It took me about 9 hours of game time, and I covered 87% of the map. I'm not a completionist with games and don't go out of my way, so it surprised me I got that much coverage.

The sequel, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, drops on March 11. I'm seriously thinking of getting that on release day.

Not sure what game to play next. I have a couple of old games in my backlog that I bought on Steam sales but never got around to playing. But the temptation of new games always calls...

The Brain
    I had such a great time in Ori just wandering around and figuring out how to get to all the areas on the map and collect all the good stuff therein. Will definitely try out the sequel.

As for what to play next, I can only stump for Control again. I liked it so much I'm now watching my buddy play through it just so I can relive the experience!

I decided to play a few of the games I already have instead of splurging for a new $60 game - I'll get to Control eventually!

I chose to play Metro 2033 Redux, based off the novel of the same name. It's an older game, originally released in 2010 and remade in 2014 with some updates. I got it for cheap a while back and it garnered some good reviews back when it was released so I had been curious about playing it. I'm about an hour in and it's a pretty cool so far. The atmosphere of the game is great, and it has a lot of survival elements where ammo is scarce so you can't really blast your way through levels. I'll stick with this one for now.

So I started playing Witcher III last week... after about 4 hours I just had to give up. I couldn't stand the combat system, the cut scenes fading to black at the beginning really drew me out and the quests seemed to follow a similar structure.

Am I being too harsh? I know it won countless awards at the time, maybe it's just not for me!

I almost gave up on Witcher III entirely the first time I played it. After about five hours I couldn't grasp the combat system, alchemy, or anything else that's key to complete the game so I stopped playing it for a while. I don't know what compelled me to go back, but I gave it a second chance and for some reason it all clicked after that and I ended up enjoying the hell out of the game and its story. Between the base game and the expansion packs I spent over 100 hours on the games, which is really rare for me to do these days.

I've seen a lot of people say the same as you recently since the game got a sudden spike of interest thanks to Netflix, so don't worry about it - you aren't the only one who thinks that way. Just because a game has countless awards and acclaim doesn't mean everyone has to enjoy it. Like you said, maybe it's not for you. There are plenty of awesome games to enjoy out there. Life's too short to spend on games we don't like!

I might give it another go later in the year, it's rare for me not to like a critically acclaimed game.

In the meantime, I've moved onto Batman The Telltale series season 2. Season 1 was fine, if very glitchy, but I put that down to playing it on an ipad instead of a console. Got season 2 as part of Xbox Live Gold for free so we'll see how it turns out.

I just finished Metro 2033 Redux. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The game itself is pretty short. It took me 9 hours total game time to finish it. The gameplay is nothing special - not a whole lot of variety when it comes to enemies or what you can do. There's a lot of stealth involved, which frustrated me at the beginning but I eventually learned that upgrading weapons to use silencers helped a lot. The star of the game is its story and atmosphere, well worth playing the game by this alone. It was much better than I expected, and made me pick up the novel to read since it really grabbed my interest. I love a good post-apocalyptic read.

Not sure what game to pick up next. I might continue the series with Metro Last Light, but I feel like something less series is in order during this time. I still have a lot of freebies in my Steam account that I never touched. I have a few short indie games and RPGs that look fun so I may go with one of those to breeze through them in a couple of hours, and then I'll pick up something "heavier".

The Brain
    Never heard of that one, sounds quite interesting...

I usually don't do this, but I actually picked Control back up to see what other little nooks and crannies I can find in the game. Already stumbled across a few more little bits of dialogue I didn't find, and some non-story missions I can play through. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Never heard of that one, sounds quite interesting...

I usually don't do this, but I actually picked Control back up to see what other little nooks and crannies I can find in the game. Already stumbled across a few more little bits of dialogue I didn't find, and some non-story missions I can play through. Good stuff!
    I'm in a similar place. Replaying Trails in the Sky--one of my favorite video games of all-time. Because it's New Game +, I'm getting to see all the rapid NPC updated dialogue that happens throughout the game if you pay attention.

My computer freezes every five minutes, but I keep playing. If the Gov. sends me a check, I aim to buy a computer that can handle Steam games and go on the greatest entertainment binge I've been on since childhood.

Bet.

The Brain
    If you do, please share here! I'd love to hear about what you get up to...

I played through the game Limbo this weekend. It's an older game, I think about 10 years old at this point, but I never got around to playing it. Since I had it in my Steam backlog (I got it for about a buck last year at a sale) I figured I go for it since it had great reviews on release. It was a surprisingly fun game puzzle / platform game. It was also short, about three hours of gameplay, which is what I wanted. The game isn't too difficult to figure out, although the last few sections were tricky. It was a nice way to spend a few hours during the weekend.

I realized I also have the follow-up game, called Inside, from the same developer. I have no idea what games I've bought in the past since they're so damn cheap on Steam. Since Inside is also a short game I'll play through it this week too before picking something else up.

The Brain
    Definitely do play Inside!! In some ways I liked it even more than Limbo. Both great games.

I finished Batman Telltale series, not bad, and an interesting take on the Joker (he can essentially be at your side!) but a little underwhelming too.

I'm playing Yakuza 0 now, which is ridiculously fun. Great start point apparently for those who've never played a Yakuza game (me). The sidequests take the glory at the moment, in between serious gang warfare in Tokyo and Osaka, you're encouraged to help a kid to retrieve a videogame cartridge which is stolen by three different thieves before finding the third one... and it's the kids dad!

Cool game to just forget about the shit outside world...

The Brain
    Damn shame about Telltale shutting down. Really liked the Walking Dead games, without ever having gotten into the show.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Definitely do play Inside!! In some ways I liked it even more than Limbo. Both great games.
    I played about an hour of Inside last night and I'm enjoying it a lot more than Limbo. The slightly more colorized graphics make the game look awesome, and other elements of interactivity like the guards and dogs chasing you down make the gameplay a lot more intense in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I'm playing Yakuza 0 now, which is ridiculously fun. Great start point apparently for those who've never played a Yakuza game (me). The sidequests take the glory at the moment, in between serious gang warfare in Tokyo and Osaka, you're encouraged to help a kid to retrieve a videogame cartridge which is stolen by three different thieves before finding the third one... and it's the kids dad!
    The Yakuza series is one that I really want to get into, but there are so many at this time that it was a bit overwhelming to figure out which one to begin with. Good to hear Yakuza 0 is a good starting point - I'll have to take a look at that one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Cool game to just forget about the shit outside world...
    We all need games to forget about all the craziness for a while!

Yeah if you do want to begin the series, definitely start with Yakuza 0, as it's a prequel to all the other entries (I think there's 6 more?)

The Brain
    The final stretch of Inside is sooo good. I remember it more than anything from Limbo. Can't wait to hear what you think of it, Deg!

Has anyone ever purchased a game that is in a language they don't speak, but used a patch for translation?

Do I just buy the game through Steam, then download the patch and everything magically works or do I need to have some clue about something to do some thing? :-)

https://geofront.esterior.net/downloads/

The Brain
    I'm afraid I never have! From what I understand the patch should work ok but without having tried it myself, I'm not sure what issues you might run into... let us know if it works though (unless anyone else knows better! Deg, maybe?).

Not sure about this particular game since I can't find this game on Steam, but patches for PC games can be tricky. Some are straightforward installations, others need you to jump through hoops. Your mileage may vary.

This one seems to be straightforward, though. They built an installer that looks like it will take care of things for you: https://geofront.esterior.net/2020/0...-zero-out-now/

The comments there look like there isn't much of a problem getting it installed, so it's just a matter of installing the game, then the patch, and that should be it. Try it out!

Thanks, mizfan. Thanks, Deg.

Will absolutely try it out. This game is one of two that sit in the middle of the 3-game "Trails in the Sky" series and the 4 game "Trails of Cold Steel" series. Everything except the two games in the middle were released in NA. So, you know, they probably kind of matter.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Picked a PS4 up for myself a couple months ago and played Spider-Man. Finished it some time back but have been rounding off the DLC. Man, did I love it. It's the real first sandbox RPG I've found to be irresistible! Absolutely wonderful piece of work - emotional story, addictive gameplay, even the music I loved. Only downside was those irritating moments you had to sneak about as MJ or Miles.

I really wish platform exclusivity didn't exist, much less exclusivity that isn't timed. I miss out on so much because of it, and I'm not willing to buy more stuff just to play a game or two.

I finished Inside this morning. It was really good, maybe slightly better than Limbo but not by a whole lot, they're both really fun to play. I somehow found this game a lot simpler than Limbo, but I'm not sure if it's because the game is more straightforward or because I'm used to that style gameplay already. The puzzles were not that difficult but I appreciated how clever a lot of them were. The final few sections of the game has one of the weirdest segments I've ever seen in any game, if not the weirdest. I don't know how the developers managed to pull off something so strange and make it work within the game. Overall it's a great game to play if you can find it for cheap.

The Brain
    Glad you liked it, definitely recommend it to all as a very fun and super interesting game!