Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar

What are you playing now?

I enjoyed reading this thread before the board was reset, so I'm bringing it back. So, what's everyone spending their gaming time on?

I haven't had much gaming time lately and can manage to squeeze out 15 minutes here and there most nights. A few weeks ago I got myself the latest Raspberry Pi 3 and set up RetroPie, so I've been having fun playing some old SNES games. I'm currently towards the end of a full play-through of Final Fantasy II (FF4) and will follow it up with Final Fantasy III (FF6). It has been years since I last played either of those so it's been fun reliving those times.

As for current games, I think my next purchase is going to be Final Fantasy 15 as soon as I'm freed up to have some more gaming time. I really want to dig into that game entirely so I'll hold off for now.

LOP Freebirds Buddy Roberts SirSam's Avatar
    Nice, Final Fantasy has been a mountain that I have always stared at, thought about but never actually tried. If I was to give it a go where should I start?

I have been really short on gaming time lately but would love to be playing God of War, am about a quarter of the way through it and it is excellent.

I'm hoping to finish it by Red Dead 2.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Nice, Final Fantasy has been a mountain that I have always stared at, thought about but never actually tried. If I was to give it a go where should I start?
    They're all similar in style but since they don't overlap when it comes to stories or characters or anything like that, it doesn't matter much where you begin. You don't have to play them in any specific order - just pick one and go.

If you want to try one of the 8- or 16-bit era games, I'd go with Final Fantasy VI. For the Playstation era games, most people would vouch for Final Fantasy VII but I enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII and IX a lot too so I'd vote for any of the PS1 games. I never played the MMORPG versions of the game so those are complete unknowns to me.

I might have a look at doing what you did with your phone.

I've previously played a few gameboy games on it and really enjoyed that. The only thing I dislike is controls but in a non-precision game like Final Fantasy I think I could get away with it.

I'm enjoying playing the Xbox Game Pass, sort of a Netflix subscription service that lets you play up to 100 or so games. Some real good games on there, such as Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive and ReCore. However there's also some hidden gems, such as Late Shift, which I am playing now. It's a full motion video (FMV) adventure, so real actors act out a story and you decide what action they take. Not for everyone, but it's British based and the scenes are filmed in such a way that it only rarely cuts away from the action abruptly. Few different endings too, which is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    I have been really short on gaming time lately but would love to be playing God of War, am about a quarter of the way through it and it is excellent.

I'm hoping to finish it by Red Dead 2.
    Exactly this

The Brain
    The only Final Fantasy I have played is X, but I had a blast with it and would highly recommend it. Great, great game. Final Fantasy VII is first on my list, probably when I get through the WWF section of the Heenan series.

Currently playing through Danganronpa V3 with a buddy. I've really enjoyed the series a lot, it's got a really interesting story and each game has a really unique mystery, both overall and on a chapter-to-chapter basis. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the style of game, which isn't gameplay heavy in the traditional sense but still provides a challenge while telling a good story.

I'm still on Horizon: Zero Dawn. The completist in me has me running around collecting the flowers and vantages; I already have the cups and Banuk figures and I have one more power cell to go; which I think I get in my next main story mission. I don't think I'll ever get all the blazing suns, though.

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    I'm still on Horizon: Zero Dawn. The completist in me has me running around collecting the flowers and vantages; I already have the cups and Banuk figures and I have one more power cell to go; which I think I get in my next main story mission. I don't think I'll ever get all the blazing suns, though.
    Another one I would like to give a go at some point. It got really amazing reviews when it came out and seems to be a mash up of a few games I really like and others I don't dislike.

It's a great game. I will play the others you mentioned in your post and I will likely buy RDD on game day, as it's the sequel to my favorite ever game, but for the most part I don't care about buying games when they first come out, so GOW will wait until I'm ready to play it and can--likely--get it on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    The Blazing Suns were too much for me, waaaay too tedious. My buddy told me if you get them all, you get a real sweet gear set though. The best gear in the game comes from collecting all the power cells and completing that side quest. For me the most fun I got was from clearing all the bandit camps, and the Machine camps.

Sam once you play this game you wont be able to think about anything else until it is done. Even then... one of the best games ever imo.

The Brain
    Finished Danganronpa V3. Enjoyed it a lot... up until the end, which honestly I hated, and that's pretty bad for a game that hangs almost entirely on it's story. I really love the series up to that point but I guess I'll have to pretend this one just doesn't exist. Lame!

Not sure what I'll play next. My brother's coming into town next week so probably find something to do with. I've got a copy of "A Way Out", and it looks like that might be fun.

Finished Horizon: Zero Dawn yesterday. What a fantastic game! For a palette cleanser, I am going to play Hue next.

Hue was a lot of fun. If you're looking for a 2D side-scrolling puzzle platformer, you could do worse. The Swapper is better, but this was still really good; if frustrating at times--a cool concept well executed. I will probably go back to Agents of Mayhem next.

Still trying to finish Lego Batman 2, which is amusing to me.

Someone gave me a game to play... Dark Souls or something. Need to try and find a bit of time to try that one out. Anyone know it?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Not much, but it's quite a leap from Lego Batman 2...

That much is clear from comparing the covers!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I am broke as fuck until late August, so I am playing an old Harvest Moon: Tot game for Wii.

But, when I get my money right, by god, I will be playing Persona V.

The Brain
    My housemate and occasional LOPR co-host Joe Schmoe loved that game. I saw him play a bit of it and I think it'll be right up your alley, Mystic.

Last winter break I played Persona IV. It was one of the best down-time breaks I've had. Way things are going, it will probably be winter break 2018 when I play V. People love IV but many say V is the best.

Joe Schmoe is the man.

The Brain
    I showed him this conversation, and this was his response:

Yes and YES.

P4 was the first one I played and I've mentioned it before but it was one of the best video games I've ever played. It brought me back to my old days of playing rpgs. it sucked me right in and I was easily invested in the world of persona.

P5 is just as good if not better. I would definitely rate it higher than P3 even if some hardcore fans disagree.
    Really interested to hear your thoughts as/after you play it. It's on my radar to play as well, eventually.

Everyday is Exactly the Same The Dude's Avatar
    I wish I could go back to playing WoW religiously but that would mean buying a new laptop (My current one won't handle it). I really, really, need to by a new one anyway. The freakin thing is falling apart and it wasn't very good to begin with. (CeX are bastards).

I loved that game since the 00's and still do. I'm not very good at it, but it's loads of fun anyway. Sometimes I just used to go mining in various areas late at night and it calmed me down when I was feeling shitty.