Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm a good 30 hours in now, and in terms of the main quest (which as with anything in the game is completely optional) I'm about halfway. All things considered, to do it 100% would take over 150 hours I think...

It's grown on me a bit more now, as you progress in the game the weapons and gear 'breaking' does ease up as you get more durable gear.

Even so, it's still immensely good and worth the money. I complain about the gear, but that's the ONLY thing to complain about. Everything else is gaming at it's finest.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

The Brain
    Starting playing through Cuphead again with my friend. I beat it once with my brother, who is amazing at video games, and he carried a lot of the load, so now it'll be more pressure to actually get good enough to beat the dang thing! Super fun game though, wonderful design.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Even so, it's still immensely good and worth the money. I complain about the gear, but that's the ONLY thing to complain about. Everything else is gaming at it's finest.
    Thanks for the update! That's a pretty glowing review, I think I'll be getting this game relatively soon. I love me some JRPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Starting playing through Cuphead again with my friend. I beat it once with my brother, who is amazing at video games, and he carried a lot of the load, so now it'll be more pressure to actually get good enough to beat the dang thing! Super fun game though, wonderful design.
    Cuphead is another one of those games that I really want to play, but worry that I'll end up entirely dejected!

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Thanks for the update! That's a pretty glowing review, I think I'll be getting this game relatively soon. I love me some JRPGs.
    Yeah, it deserves the plaudits it received when it came out. Perhaps I just needed to adjust my expectations as traditionally in Zelda games the items you find are set in stone, you don't use/break them. And you feel that in the first hours when all you have is a tree branch or club that breaks after a few swings...

The Brain
    Cuphead is another one of those games that I really want to play, but worry that I'll end up entirely dejected!
    It's definitely worth it! There will be some frustration but also incredible satisfaction when you get the victory, and it's very easy to keep at it even as you die a lot.

How's Trails in the Sky so far for you? I've had the game on my Steam wishlist for a while now after I stumbled upon it since it has really positive reviews there. I'm always on the lookout for good JRPGs I haven't played or heard much of.
    It very much depends what you play for. I don't think the battles are changing anyone's lives. It is a mix of strategy and turn-based play, with a system where you line up orbs that you get along the way in order to give your fighters different kinds of magic.

Above all else, the game is DIALOGUE heavy. I love that but many don't. The NPCs often have lives of their own and their dialogue develops with the series. (For instance, in game 2, with your final save carrying over, many of the NPCs interact with you based on what you did or didn't do for them/with them in game 1.) It is a very CHARACTER driven game. You will have seen shades of the characters and the plot before, but the interaction and the small details is what makes it special.

The game starts SLOW, as they are building the world. For me, it pays off again and again. Not only am I super familiar with the world based on my characters and their journey, but this is the same world that gives us Trails of Cold Steel, so, should you like the game, you have something like 6 or 7 games to look forward to between the Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel games. (There is even another series but it hasn't been localized.)

If you eventually try the game, you have to give it time, but, if you care about characters and dialogue and running around doing silly/serious things for a range of people, then it will be well worth it eventually.

I am super hooked, but it's a game right up my lane. Has a Grandia feel. Has Tales of like interactions. And even slightly gives me a breath of fire feel with what some of the world and battles look like at times.

After playing Red Dead and its slowed down style Witcher 3 seems impossibly twitchy, particularly when it comes to walking and riding on your horse.

I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday. It's pretty much the same as the previous game from 2013, but it was fun.

I then picked up a game that was on a Steam sale called Hypnospace Outlaw. I had my eye on this game for a bit after seeing an online review just for it's uniqueness. It's 1999, and there's this new tech that lets people go online while they sleep. You play the role of an enforcer taking on tasks to clean up things like copyright infringement and harassment from people's websites for cash. It's a simple concept with a bit of a storyline but the game is amazing in how it portrays the whole Internet of the late 90s, all the weird, simplistic HTML websites, chat services, and so on. As someone who was deep in the Internet during that era it really hits me deep with the nostalgia factor. I love these games that are so out of the norm.

... And I just finished Hypnospace Outlaw. It took me less than six hours of gameplay. Really fun and nostalgic game, pretty difficult at times, but it kinda sucks the game was so short.

Still not sure what to play next. I have the last Tomb Raider game installed on my PC (Shadow of the Tomb Raider) so I might go ahead with that since the game isn't too long and it'll let me complete this recent trilogy. If not I'll dive back into Witcher 3 and finish the Blood and Wine expansion.

Finished Zelda BOTW story over the weekend. Incredible game really, and once you get the Master Sword my grievances about weapons breaking were largely diminished. Plus once you expand the weapon inventory, it becomes a non-issue.

Was surprised to see that even though I had found a fair few Korok seeds and completed all 120 shrines, I was only at a measly 28% completion. Turns out there is waaaaaay more Korok seeds than I thought. Will do my best to track them down, but I've seen theres about 900 and I fear I will lose interest eventually.

Does anyone know if the DLC is worth a look at? I hate paying extra when the content is little more than new skins or meaningless quests...

Started playing Minecraft again for the first time in a few years. Crazy how much it has changed, it's still one of the most frustrating games when things go wrong though. Losing a bunch of stuff at the bottom of a shaft and then losing more again trying to get it back is maddening.

The Brain
    Beat Cuphead again, with a new partner, and it's just as fun as ever. Hugely recommended. Figuring out what to play next, looking at Dark Souls (which I've beaten before) or else Catherine or the Zero Escape series.

With Cuphead I had one look at the difficulty of it and decided I wouldn't enjoy it and it would just make me mad. How did you find it initially Mizzy? Obviously you got past the maddening part of it.

The Brain
    It can absolutely frustrate you at times but I think the more you stick with it, the more rewarding it becomes. The feeling of finally completing a tough level is super satisfying. There's also a LOT you can do as a player to increase your chances of winning, the more you play the more you notice patterns and come up with better strategies and you end up doing better and better each time. If you can accept the facts that you're gonna eat a lot of losses on the way, I really do recommend giving it a second try!

I recently finished The Witcher 3's expansion Blood and Wine. It was awesome, I really enjoyed the story. I'm amazed that an expansion pack could offer gameplay that's more expansive and immersive than a lot of full-priced games.

With Witcher 3 finally done for me, I moved on to the most recent Tomb Raider game. I enjoyed the previous two so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too since it seems to be pretty much similar.

When I'm done with this Tomb Raider game, I'll finally dive into Grand Theft Auto V. I got it for cheap on a Steam sale and had been wanting to play it for a long time. That should tide me over for a long time until the next few new games I want to play are released, particularly Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077.

The Brain
    I loved GTA 3 but never ended up playing much farther in the series, not for lack of interest but because I always seem to end up doing other things. One day I'll pick up a new one and check it out!

The only thing I'm really playing at the moment is Gears of War 3. It's reasonably fun but made much better for the fact that I can play the campaign both locally with my friend and online with my brother at the same time. Seems like more games should have that option!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I loved GTA 3 but never ended up playing much farther in the series, not for lack of interest but because I always seem to end up doing other things. One day I'll pick up a new one and check it out!
    I get that. It's very difficult to make time for everything. Only thing I've played lately is the Legends of Heroes Trails series and my only problem is it's too good for its own good. They released a trilogy (Trails of the Sky), then a two-game series (Crossbell series), then a four-game series (Trails of Cold Steel). Problem is Trails of Cold Steel III is coming to U.S. in October and it features many of the characters from the Crossbell series and spoils the Crossbell series (because events in the world were taking place at a similar time), but the Crossbell series, to this date, has yet to make it to North America. Everyone says you shouldn't play Trails of Cold Steel III before that series, but that's the game I'm getting. So I can either stop the series for now and hope the other games come to the US or I can spoil a bunch of stuff while also not getting as much out of Cold Steel III because many of those characters won't yet matter to me.

I recently finished The Witcher 3's expansion Blood and Wine. It was awesome, I really enjoyed the story. I'm amazed that an expansion pack could offer gameplay that's more expansive and immersive than a lot of full-priced games.

With Witcher 3 finally done for me, I moved on to the most recent Tomb Raider game. I enjoyed the previous two so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too since it seems to be pretty much similar.

When I'm done with this Tomb Raider game, I'll finally dive into Grand Theft Auto V. I got it for cheap on a Steam sale and had been wanting to play it for a long time. That should tide me over for a long time until the next few new games I want to play are released, particularly Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077.
    I'm playing the latest Tomb Raider game too. Don't know whether it's due to me coming in off the back of a few different third person games, but am finding it really clunky to play. Visually it's very good, but so far (4 hours in) the story is not gripping me.

The Brain
    Started playing Resident Evil 6 with my brother... the story seems to be quite the hash of nonsense, even by Resident Evil standards, but the gameplay is fun, especially the co-op aspect!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    I get that. It's very difficult to make time for everything. Only thing I've played lately is the Legends of Heroes Trails series and my only problem is it's too good for its own good. They released a trilogy (Trails of the Sky), then a two-game series (Crossbell series), then a four-game series (Trails of Cold Steel). Problem is Trails of Cold Steel III is coming to U.S. in October and it features many of the characters from the Crossbell series and spoils the Crossbell series (because events in the world were taking place at a similar time), but the Crossbell series, to this date, has yet to make it to North America. Everyone says you shouldn't play Trails of Cold Steel III before that series, but that's the game I'm getting. So I can either stop the series for now and hope the other games come to the US or I can spoil a bunch of stuff while also not getting as much out of Cold Steel III because many of those characters won't yet matter to me.
    Oh, that's a heartbreaker!! I don't envy you that choice. I think I would try to make myself wait but sometimes that's just not gonna happen.

Both expansions for this game were amazing. Witcher 3 stands out as one of the very best open worlders to date imo.

Just starting the newest Spider-Man game. The kids saw it and demanded I play it so they could watch me. Weird generational thing- kids now dont want to play, they wanna watch others play.