Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar

What are you playing now?

I enjoyed reading this thread before the board was reset, so I'm bringing it back. So, what's everyone spending their gaming time on?

I haven't had much gaming time lately and can manage to squeeze out 15 minutes here and there most nights. A few weeks ago I got myself the latest Raspberry Pi 3 and set up RetroPie, so I've been having fun playing some old SNES games. I'm currently towards the end of a full play-through of Final Fantasy II (FF4) and will follow it up with Final Fantasy III (FF6). It has been years since I last played either of those so it's been fun reliving those times.

As for current games, I think my next purchase is going to be Final Fantasy 15 as soon as I'm freed up to have some more gaming time. I really want to dig into that game entirely so I'll hold off for now.

Nice, Final Fantasy has been a mountain that I have always stared at, thought about but never actually tried. If I was to give it a go where should I start?

I have been really short on gaming time lately but would love to be playing God of War, am about a quarter of the way through it and it is excellent.

I'm hoping to finish it by Red Dead 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Nice, Final Fantasy has been a mountain that I have always stared at, thought about but never actually tried. If I was to give it a go where should I start?
    They're all similar in style but since they don't overlap when it comes to stories or characters or anything like that, it doesn't matter much where you begin. You don't have to play them in any specific order - just pick one and go.

If you want to try one of the 8- or 16-bit era games, I'd go with Final Fantasy VI. For the Playstation era games, most people would vouch for Final Fantasy VII but I enjoyed Final Fantasy VIII and IX a lot too so I'd vote for any of the PS1 games. I never played the MMORPG versions of the game so those are complete unknowns to me.

I might have a look at doing what you did with your phone.

I've previously played a few gameboy games on it and really enjoyed that. The only thing I dislike is controls but in a non-precision game like Final Fantasy I think I could get away with it.

I'm enjoying playing the Xbox Game Pass, sort of a Netflix subscription service that lets you play up to 100 or so games. Some real good games on there, such as Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive and ReCore. However there's also some hidden gems, such as Late Shift, which I am playing now. It's a full motion video (FMV) adventure, so real actors act out a story and you decide what action they take. Not for everyone, but it's British based and the scenes are filmed in such a way that it only rarely cuts away from the action abruptly. Few different endings too, which is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    I have been really short on gaming time lately but would love to be playing God of War, am about a quarter of the way through it and it is excellent.

I'm hoping to finish it by Red Dead 2.
    Exactly this

The Brain
    The only Final Fantasy I have played is X, but I had a blast with it and would highly recommend it. Great, great game. Final Fantasy VII is first on my list, probably when I get through the WWF section of the Heenan series.

Currently playing through Danganronpa V3 with a buddy. I've really enjoyed the series a lot, it's got a really interesting story and each game has a really unique mystery, both overall and on a chapter-to-chapter basis. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the style of game, which isn't gameplay heavy in the traditional sense but still provides a challenge while telling a good story.

I'm still on Horizon: Zero Dawn. The completist in me has me running around collecting the flowers and vantages; I already have the cups and Banuk figures and I have one more power cell to go; which I think I get in my next main story mission. I don't think I'll ever get all the blazing suns, though.

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    I'm still on Horizon: Zero Dawn. The completist in me has me running around collecting the flowers and vantages; I already have the cups and Banuk figures and I have one more power cell to go; which I think I get in my next main story mission. I don't think I'll ever get all the blazing suns, though.
    Another one I would like to give a go at some point. It got really amazing reviews when it came out and seems to be a mash up of a few games I really like and others I don't dislike.

It's a great game. I will play the others you mentioned in your post and I will likely buy RDD on game day, as it's the sequel to my favorite ever game, but for the most part I don't care about buying games when they first come out, so GOW will wait until I'm ready to play it and can--likely--get it on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    The Blazing Suns were too much for me, waaaay too tedious. My buddy told me if you get them all, you get a real sweet gear set though. The best gear in the game comes from collecting all the power cells and completing that side quest. For me the most fun I got was from clearing all the bandit camps, and the Machine camps.

Sam once you play this game you wont be able to think about anything else until it is done. Even then... one of the best games ever imo.

The Brain
    Finished Danganronpa V3. Enjoyed it a lot... up until the end, which honestly I hated, and that's pretty bad for a game that hangs almost entirely on it's story. I really love the series up to that point but I guess I'll have to pretend this one just doesn't exist. Lame!

Not sure what I'll play next. My brother's coming into town next week so probably find something to do with. I've got a copy of "A Way Out", and it looks like that might be fun.

Finished Horizon: Zero Dawn yesterday. What a fantastic game! For a palette cleanser, I am going to play Hue next.

Hue was a lot of fun. If you're looking for a 2D side-scrolling puzzle platformer, you could do worse. The Swapper is better, but this was still really good; if frustrating at times--a cool concept well executed. I will probably go back to Agents of Mayhem next.

Still trying to finish Lego Batman 2, which is amusing to me.

Someone gave me a game to play... Dark Souls or something. Need to try and find a bit of time to try that one out. Anyone know it?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Not much, but it's quite a leap from Lego Batman 2...

That much is clear from comparing the covers!

I am broke as fuck until late August, so I am playing an old Harvest Moon: Tot game for Wii.

But, when I get my money right, by god, I will be playing Persona V.

The Brain
    My housemate and occasional LOPR co-host Joe Schmoe loved that game. I saw him play a bit of it and I think it'll be right up your alley, Mystic.

Last winter break I played Persona IV. It was one of the best down-time breaks I've had. Way things are going, it will probably be winter break 2018 when I play V. People love IV but many say V is the best.

Joe Schmoe is the man.

The Brain
    I showed him this conversation, and this was his response:

Yes and YES.

P4 was the first one I played and I've mentioned it before but it was one of the best video games I've ever played. It brought me back to my old days of playing rpgs. it sucked me right in and I was easily invested in the world of persona.

P5 is just as good if not better. I would definitely rate it higher than P3 even if some hardcore fans disagree.
    Really interested to hear your thoughts as/after you play it. It's on my radar to play as well, eventually.

I wish I could go back to playing WoW religiously but that would mean buying a new laptop (My current one won't handle it). I really, really, need to by a new one anyway. The freakin thing is falling apart and it wasn't very good to begin with. (CeX are bastards).

I loved that game since the 00's and still do. I'm not very good at it, but it's loads of fun anyway. Sometimes I just used to go mining in various areas late at night and it calmed me down when I was feeling shitty.

There's finally a spiritual successor to the crash mode in Burnout 3: Takedown and Burnout: Revenge and then the spiritual successor to the racing part comes out in October under the title Dangerous Driving. Not a great name, but apt, I suppose. So, playing Danger Zone 2 now, it's every bit the blast Crash Mode should be, even though they can't call it that. Why EA killed Burnout, I'll never know.

The Brain
    Currently playing the original Dead Rising for the first time. I put off playing it for a long time because somehow I got the impression I wouldn't like it, but I've got to say it's extremely fun. Anybody else a fan?

Mass Effect Andromeda. Put it off for so long as it got terrible reviews when it came out, so picked it up last week for a few quid.

It's nowhere near as good as the previous 3 games admittedly, but it's very enjoyable so far. The lore is what holds it back story-wise, as it takes place in a completely different galaxy and so most of the things learnt from the previous games are not really applied here. The combat is snug, and there is now finally a jump mechanic.

I picked up Final Fantasy XV for 50% off during the Steam Summer sale and have been spending my free time on it. I had seen a couple of less-than-favorable reviews for the game when it was first released, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it. I'm in the next-to-last chapter already.

The battle system is really fun, the main world is a joy to explore, the graphics on the PC are great, and the story is simple but interesting. I thought that just having more or less the same party members throughout the whole game would be horrible but I've dug the main characters and the trials and tribulations they go through as the game progresses.

I can see how some people didn't like it compared to other Final Fantasy games. The main story is kinda short - I've logged in about 30 in-game hours and it feels like more than half of that time was in side quests. There are way too many senseless side quests where you barely get anything in return. The car drives can be a slog, especially when you can't fast travel to a point yet and have to spend five minutes just waiting. But these are all minor things. As a new experience and not comparing to previous games in the series it's been a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    I picked up Final Fantasy XV for 50% off during the Steam Summer sale and have been spending my free time on it. I had seen a couple of less-than-favorable reviews for the game when it was first released, but I've been enjoying the hell out of it. I'm in the next-to-last chapter already.

The battle system is really fun, the main world is a joy to explore, the graphics on the PC are great, and the story is simple but interesting. I thought that just having more or less the same party members throughout the whole game would be horrible but I've dug the main characters and the trials and tribulations they go through as the game progresses.

I can see how some people didn't like it compared to other Final Fantasy games. The main story is kinda short - I've logged in about 30 in-game hours and it feels like more than half of that time was in side quests. There are way too many senseless side quests where you barely get anything in return. The car drives can be a slog, especially when you can't fast travel to a point yet and have to spend five minutes just waiting. But these are all minor things. As a new experience and not comparing to previous games in the series it's been a treat.

Get ready for the tear jerker finale!

Some of the best/hardest content is post storyline also. There is a woman that gives you keys to all the private dungeons (the doors at the end of each regular dungeon that you cant get into.) Each one of those dungeons has at least one brutal boss fight and some awesome top tier weapons.

And if you keep up with the Monster hunting, rank all the way up, you get to fight bosses like Genbu. There is a quest NPC in the big city that once you get high enough rank as a monster hunter he gives you quests that are just boss fights, but all the bosses are insanely fucking hard, at the end of each one he crafts you sick weapons from the material you collect.

My favorite part of all FF games was always side top boss fights and collecting top tier weapons, and FFXV is oustanding in that regard. People gave this game too much flack, it is a lot of fun.

The Brain
    Haha, someday maybe I'll play more FF games. I've only played 10, and I've got 7 slated to play soon, if I can find the time!

Finished Dead Rising, really liked it overall but I thought the final stretch was weak, it removes you from all the game mechanics you got good at and forces you to do some different stuff. Why do I have to fistfight the final boss? I spent the whole game hoarding chainsaws, don't take them from me arbitrarily!

Also played through the game Super Hot, which was short but extremely fun. I previously tried out the VR version and that was even better gameplay-wise, but it's got a miniminalistic but really interesting story mode too so I was really happy to blow through that in a couple hours.

Thinking of trying out Quantum Break next, I dig Remedy and I've been interested in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Get ready for the tear jerker finale!
    I haven't been spoiled about what happens but I have been told that I should keep a box of tissues nearby for the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Some of the best/hardest content is post storyline also. There is a woman that gives you keys to all the private dungeons (the doors at the end of each regular dungeon that you cant get into.) Each one of those dungeons has at least one brutal boss fight and some awesome top tier weapons.

And if you keep up with the Monster hunting, rank all the way up, you get to fight bosses like Genbu. There is a quest NPC in the big city that once you get high enough rank as a monster hunter he gives you quests that are just boss fights, but all the bosses are insanely fucking hard, at the end of each one he crafts you sick weapons from the material you collect.

My favorite part of all FF games was always side top boss fights and collecting top tier weapons, and FFXV is oustanding in that regard. People gave this game too much flack, it is a lot of fun.
    That's awesome to hear. I've been planning on sticking with the game a little more after I'm done with the main story just to go through some of the side quests that I missed and rank up as a hunter. I've been surprised how much I've enjoyed the whole monster hunting segment of the game. I thought it was just going to be a slog but it's been fun to do since it's challenging enough. I'm at Level 5 right now so it's still a bit to go but I'll get there.

My eventual ultimate goal in the game is to beat Adamantoise - I already ran into it accidentally, thinking that it was going to be a simple quest. Boy, was I wrong.

Finally finished Lego Batman 2 and before I knew it the mrs had bought the last two Wii Lego games that we didn't have from some second-hand shop online, so I imagine I'll be playing those for the foreseeable.

Still haven't gotten around to trying that Dark Souls....

Dark Souls is one of the most difficult rpgs ever made. You will die, a ton. When you die, you lose resources unless you can retrieve your corpse (which, at times, is impossible). And to compound problems, your life is tied into the currency system. At times, particularly against bosses, you will feel the urge to rip your hair out. They intentionally made the game exceedingly difficult- it is like the litmus test for hardcore gamers.

The thing is though, when you finally get through a particularly difficult spot, or boss, it is one of the most gratifying accomplishments you will experience playing a video game.

The Brain
    I will second that Dark Souls is both very difficult and also very, VERY rewarding. Was ultimately one of the best gaming experiences I've had in recent memory, though I was certainly frustrated during the actual playing at times!

It might not be the game for me at this point in time then. I don't tend to get a lot of time to play and tend to need fairly quick incentives to keep going. But I'll give it a shot.

The other half has dived headlong into Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 so I imagine that will be all I have to talk about for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I will second that Dark Souls is both very difficult and also very, VERY rewarding. Was ultimately one of the best gaming experiences I've had in recent memory, though I was certainly frustrated during the actual playing at times!
    I've never played it, but I couldn't even get through the first level of Bloodborne, so I don't think I ever want to.

I just finished the fantastic God Of War and am now waiting for Red Dead 2. Was thinking about going back to No Man Sky now it has been updated or running through The Last of Us again in preperation for the sequel which I assume will be out next year.

My PS4 has had a lot of issues lately. I get my quarterly bonus check from work on August 24th, so I think I'm going to pre-order the new Spiderman PS4 Pro. It looks pretty sweet.

Assassins Creed Syndicate. Was a free Xbox Live Gold game a few months back (I always download them, just in case). It's not bad, but can tell the gameplay formula had started to dwindle. Anyone played Origins? Any better than the previous AC games?

I saw in reviews that Origins did change the formula a bit, making it a bit more of an rpg.

Some said it got a bit grindy as a result though.

The red color on that Spiderman PS4 looks awesome.

I've lost track of all the Assassin's Creed games. I really enjoyed the first 2-3 of the series but it seems like they make more games than I have time to play them. I'll get to some of them down the road, when they're cheap.

I just finished the main story of Final Fantasy XV this morning. I'm still processing how I feel about the game as a whole. Personally, I really dug the game. As someone who's played most of the Final Fantasy games (except the ones that were first only available in Japan or the MMORPG ones), I think I can safely say that XV is in my top five of the series.

The game has its fair share of issues, and there are a lot of fairly obviously plot holes in the game that never get answered even up to the end (which I won't spoil in case someone still wants to play it). The latter part of the game also turns very linear, which is a bit annoying having to "travel to the past" if you want to get back to other sections of the game. However, the things that it does right, it does really well. For all the unanswered questions and simplistic storyline, I loved every minute of it. It's been a long time since a game got me so involved emotionally with the characters. I'll fully admit that the last scenes of the game made me tear up.

I'll still be playing this game for a while to do some more side quests and levelling up. I think later this year or next year there will be some of the DLC that was done for the console versions released on the PC, so I'll be getting to those when they're available.

The Brain
    I did end up cracking through Quantum Break. It was pretty fun but I was a little let down, I'm a story-in-gaming guy but it felt at times like they would have much rather made a movie or TV show than a game, to the point where big chunks of the game were just watching real life actors going through the story of the side characters, which is... yeah, not the best. I mean, it was sort of interesting because the choices you make in the game affect the scenes, but still it was just excessive. The game had some really fun gameplay but also had a tendency to take control away from you, which isn't something I really appreciate. I did have fun, just not as much as I was hoping.

Also played through a couple short games. The first was What Remains of Edith Finch, which is what some would call a "walking simulator" insofar as you basically explore the area and hear a story, but I actually really liked this one a lot. It was beautiful visually and musically, and there were a lot of creative mini-levels as you play through the memories or imagination of past family members as you uncover the poignant history of your eclectic relatives. I would definitely recommend it.

The other was Doki Doki Literature Club, and I've got to say, I loved it. I don't know if I would recommend it to everyone, it's a very unusual "game", but it will really stick with me. For anyone who doesn't know, it very closely mimics an anime-styled "dating simulator" game at first, and it sticks to that for a pretty long time with only very subtle hints that there's something more going on. But man... once you hit the first truly big moment, it's hard to put down. Definitely requires some patience and some willingness to learn about characters in a way that might seem tedious at first, but I think it's worth taking a chance on.