Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm a good 30 hours in now, and in terms of the main quest (which as with anything in the game is completely optional) I'm about halfway. All things considered, to do it 100% would take over 150 hours I think...

It's grown on me a bit more now, as you progress in the game the weapons and gear 'breaking' does ease up as you get more durable gear.

Even so, it's still immensely good and worth the money. I complain about the gear, but that's the ONLY thing to complain about. Everything else is gaming at it's finest.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

The Brain
    Starting playing through Cuphead again with my friend. I beat it once with my brother, who is amazing at video games, and he carried a lot of the load, so now it'll be more pressure to actually get good enough to beat the dang thing! Super fun game though, wonderful design.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Even so, it's still immensely good and worth the money. I complain about the gear, but that's the ONLY thing to complain about. Everything else is gaming at it's finest.
    Thanks for the update! That's a pretty glowing review, I think I'll be getting this game relatively soon. I love me some JRPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Starting playing through Cuphead again with my friend. I beat it once with my brother, who is amazing at video games, and he carried a lot of the load, so now it'll be more pressure to actually get good enough to beat the dang thing! Super fun game though, wonderful design.
    Cuphead is another one of those games that I really want to play, but worry that I'll end up entirely dejected!

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Thanks for the update! That's a pretty glowing review, I think I'll be getting this game relatively soon. I love me some JRPGs.
    Yeah, it deserves the plaudits it received when it came out. Perhaps I just needed to adjust my expectations as traditionally in Zelda games the items you find are set in stone, you don't use/break them. And you feel that in the first hours when all you have is a tree branch or club that breaks after a few swings...

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

The Brain
    Cuphead is another one of those games that I really want to play, but worry that I'll end up entirely dejected!
    It's definitely worth it! There will be some frustration but also incredible satisfaction when you get the victory, and it's very easy to keep at it even as you die a lot.

How's Trails in the Sky so far for you? I've had the game on my Steam wishlist for a while now after I stumbled upon it since it has really positive reviews there. I'm always on the lookout for good JRPGs I haven't played or heard much of.
    It very much depends what you play for. I don't think the battles are changing anyone's lives. It is a mix of strategy and turn-based play, with a system where you line up orbs that you get along the way in order to give your fighters different kinds of magic.

Above all else, the game is DIALOGUE heavy. I love that but many don't. The NPCs often have lives of their own and their dialogue develops with the series. (For instance, in game 2, with your final save carrying over, many of the NPCs interact with you based on what you did or didn't do for them/with them in game 1.) It is a very CHARACTER driven game. You will have seen shades of the characters and the plot before, but the interaction and the small details is what makes it special.

The game starts SLOW, as they are building the world. For me, it pays off again and again. Not only am I super familiar with the world based on my characters and their journey, but this is the same world that gives us Trails of Cold Steel, so, should you like the game, you have something like 6 or 7 games to look forward to between the Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel games. (There is even another series but it hasn't been localized.)

If you eventually try the game, you have to give it time, but, if you care about characters and dialogue and running around doing silly/serious things for a range of people, then it will be well worth it eventually.

I am super hooked, but it's a game right up my lane. Has a Grandia feel. Has Tales of like interactions. And even slightly gives me a breath of fire feel with what some of the world and battles look like at times.

After playing Red Dead and its slowed down style Witcher 3 seems impossibly twitchy, particularly when it comes to walking and riding on your horse.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday. It's pretty much the same as the previous game from 2013, but it was fun.

I then picked up a game that was on a Steam sale called Hypnospace Outlaw. I had my eye on this game for a bit after seeing an online review just for it's uniqueness. It's 1999, and there's this new tech that lets people go online while they sleep. You play the role of an enforcer taking on tasks to clean up things like copyright infringement and harassment from people's websites for cash. It's a simple concept with a bit of a storyline but the game is amazing in how it portrays the whole Internet of the late 90s, all the weird, simplistic HTML websites, chat services, and so on. As someone who was deep in the Internet during that era it really hits me deep with the nostalgia factor. I love these games that are so out of the norm.