Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar

Maz Kanata's Watering Hole - The Star Wars Thread

Star Wars Thread is back! And we've moved locations; no more scum and villainy here. At least of the wretched kind.

Star Wars Day was last weekend. Anyone do anything to celebrate? Probably not I exp CT, but I sat and did a marathon of my Machete Order! 7, R1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 8! It was pretty epic. Turned a linear story into a Game of Thrones style epic that swept across a century of galactic history!

Maz Kanata's Watering Hold, where is the love for Dex's Diner?

I'm really interested in giving your machete order a shot at some point especially with how I think it will really enhance the new trilogy.

For my part on May 4th I did Star Wars games at my Youth Group and watched The Last Jedi. I stand by my original judgement that it is amongst the best Star Wars films, I love the way it deconstructed the Jedi, Luke and subverted everything about Rey. On reflection I think the people who were getting annoyed about Luke's fall miss how he acted in the Throne Room. He did give his Father a second chance but he also lost it and only managed to just pull himself back from ending Vader. What happened with Kylo was actually quite predictable, he was tempted, went to the edge and pulled back at the last second, Kylo just woke up at exactly the wrong moment.

I am very curious to see what we get when we go back to JJ for IX, I don't think I could take it if he went back to what I imagine was his original vision, hopefully he builds off Ryan Johnson's work. I say that not because I don't want Luke to be a legend and I want Rey to be no one special I just don't want a hard swing back after the hard swing away form the traditional 'Star Wars' mythos VIII made.

The Brain
    I had to look up Maz Kanata, so I guess my credibility as a Star Wars fan is already in question!

Love the original series, particularly the Empire Strikes Back. I think Return of the Jedi is very underrated, I love the early stuff with the assault on Jabba's palace, and I was never bothered by the Ewoks like some seem to be. Sure, they're for marketing, but basically everything was in those films anyway? You think they didn't want to sell a butt load of Han Solo and Darth Vader figures?

I know some people (Plan, mostly) staunchly defend the prequels, but I just can't get into them. I find them worse by pretty much every metric. I dislike how heavily they rely on CGI, I think the acting and especially the writing is generally of lower quality, I think the direction is worse, I dislike how elements of the original trilogy are sprinkled in for no reason (why did Anakin build C3PO???), and I just generally don't enjoy them that much. I do think certain scenes are well done and there are some cool design elements. Darth Maul in Phantom Menace stands out, especially in his final duel, and the third one is generally much better than the first two.

I do enjoy the new films, though I don't regard them as standalone classics like the original films as they tend to be bit derivative. VII was pretty much a rehash of IV, but I didn't hold that against it, and honestly it may still be my favorite of the new batch. Rogue One is a film I liked for the most part, though the ending drives me a little nuts from a continuity perspective. Vader just saw you blast out of the rebel flagship, Leia, how are you gonna say 10 seconds later you were on a diplomatic mission?!? I also really disliked the Peter Cushing homunculus, it was technically impressive but just seemed WRONG. Last Jedi was a little more mixed for me, it felt very disjointed at times, and the way Luke ended up didn't really satisfy me. It had many good elements too, and I'm still interested to see how IX comes out.

I have to say, I'm VERY excited for the Solo movie, possibly just because Donald Glover as Lando looks absolutely amazing and fully worthy of getting his own film. I do think the actor playing Solo, whose name I forget and am too lazy to look up, is doing a good job working in some Ford tendencies to his performance, at least based on the trailer. Will definitely be going out to see that one.

There's so much in your post that makes me went to bicker with you! Haha.

Regarding Rogue One, there's no reason Vader had to assume that Leia's ship was the one in the fleet at Scarif. Those blockade runners are everywhere, and as we know from TLS, hyperspace tracking at the time was impossible. It's also worth noting that Captain Antilles isn't specifically mentioned by name, and that R2 and 3PO were at Yavin when the fleet took off - so it's quite possible Leia transferred ships to avoid pursuit as best she could!

And Anakin building 3PO did feel a little needless, but at the same time it demonstrates how, even as a small boy, he showed signs of being the control freak that ultimately played a massive part in catalysing his fall to the Dark Side.

The Brain
    That's a lot of justification about the ship! Vader was looking right at the ship and followed them right away, so I'm just not sure I buy it. At the very least, it feels like a lot of assumptions for the audience to have to make just so they could have the visual of that same ship leading right into the first shots of New Hope.

And I'm sorry, no argument can convince me that a slave boy felt the need to build a protocol droid!

All I'm saying is that the bigger continuity error is seeing R2 and 3PO on Yavin after Leia's ship has left.... So now that can irritate you too! 😁

And even a slave boy in a hub of intergalactic commerce and gambling working in a junk shop who will undoubtedly meet hundreds of aliens he hasn't been educated about because he's a slave?!

The Brain
    Yeah, that actually did bug the crap out of me too!

If Anakin really built a droid to teach him how to behave (how would he have even programmed him for protocol anyway??), you'd think he wouldn't be asking random women if they're angels.

It's not about behaving but about having a translator for all those alien customers! And I imagine he knew how to programme it for protocol because of some spare droid parts in Watto's junk shop. 😁

Or maybe Maz helped him. Seriously, if you look carefully you see a statue in Anakin's room that looks EXACTLY like Maz from Episode VII!

The Brain
    Now that's actually a cool connection that I wouldn't mind them exploring a bit more.

To jump in here while I think the prequels are unfairly trestled a but I still feel like they are very far from perfect films.

One major thing that has always bugged me is how Anikin's fall was handled, it all happens far too quickly for my liking. He goes from still very conflicted and planning on doing the right thing to the wholesale slaughter of younglings within the space of an hour.

You're conflating motivation; Anakin doesn't kill Jedi because he wants to save Padmé.

Anakin wants to prevent Padmé from dying in childbirth per his visions. Palpatine plays on that fear to tempt Anakin to the Dark Side by promising him a solution. Crucially, though, at the same time he manipulates the situation with Anakin and the Jedi Order expertly by playing on the prejudices and predictable reactions of both. This means that when Anakin pledges himself to the Chancellor to save Padmé, the seeds have been sown for the Chancellor to very quickly solidify Anakin's turn because of his own priority - creating a distrust in the Jedi; especially as the Order - "even your friend, Obi Wan Kenobi..." - presented a high chance of pulling Anakin away from his temptation before the Chancellor could solidify his hold.

It's not just personal emotion in play with Anakin's fall but politics as well. Killing younglings is a result of distrust sewn between Anakin and the Jedi on a political front; it has nothing really to do with Padmé. The Dark Side is a poison in the soul that drives you to extremes.

And all of this is possible because, ultimately, Anakin was afraid of losing Padmé like he lost his mother and, as we know, fear (of losing Padmé) leads to anger (at his sense of helplessness and inability to prevent it), anger (also felt towards the Jedi for apparently not wanting or being able to help him) leads to hate (of the Order Palpatine drives him to resenting), hate (of an Order his rapidly growing paranoia now convinces him is seeking to overturn democracy) leads to suffering (killing the Jedi and their future).

Yeah I understand what you are saying but I felt like the swing of allegiance was just way too quick. He went into that room at least trying with all his heart to walk in the light, wanting to arrest Palpatine and merely stops Mace Windu from killing him, he doesn't even attack Windu,that is all Palpatine. His distrust of the Jedi is cemented by Windu's actions however I have never bought Anakin, who baulked at killing Dooku, a smith lord, at the start of the movie and who actually just saved Palpatine, just walks out of that room with his entire moral compass reversed, immediately ready to kill a bunch of kids.

I guess I just wish the fall had taken longer, I like how Anakin is isolated from the Jedi he respects and trusts and how Palpatine so expertly manipulates him but perhaps there should have been a greater demonstration of Palpatine's power to further convince Anakin that the light side was too restrictive beyond just the story he spins at the opera.

I do love talking about the prequels, I genuinely love those movies and think that with just a few edits here or there they could have been something really amazing. They had so much ambition and really broaden the scope of the galaxy.

The Brain
    I think the moment would have come across better if someone had explained to Hayden Christensen about "acting".

I've just started working on a long-ass explanation of the New Order I've been watching the films in now for around two years, which I fully intend to post as a bit of a blog series over in the Non-Wrestling Writing subforum once they're all squared away and ready! It might be a while before then, but I'm excited to share my long list of observations about the way the films change when you see them through the eyes I've seen them through!

Solo: A Star Wars story (will contain spoilers)

I'm doing what we did for TLJ here. The other thread will be free to discuss Star Wars generally and will be free of the more recent spoilers, and then there'll be this thread here to discuss the new movie in as much detail as you like. In a few months time we'll merge the two.

It has already been seen by some people, at various festivals and things. Early reports sound overwhelmingly positive, with a few criticisms in parts.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

i have not read anything on the movie yet, but I had to watch the trailer prior to A.I.W., but I have my tickets for next Thursday. I hope it's good....

Comes out Thursday next week here in Australia. Reviews look good and it will be cool to see something that is truly just a stand alone story in the Star Wars universe.

I just got back from seeing Solo, and I have to say that it was bland. Don't get me wrong, it was a good entertaining movie with tons of references to the original trilogy, but it felt like a made for TV movie. It did not feel like a "big" movie. It felt small.

Apparently there is going to be a Bobba Fett movie put together by the same guy who made Logan.

I'm so torn, I love the idea of a very serious Star Wars movie along the lines of Logan but I just think it is an opportunity missed to do an Obi Wan movie in between Revenge & Hope.

Seeing Obi-Wan grappling with the betrayl of a man who was his brother as well as the destruction of everything he believed in could be something really special.

Yeah, I have even less interest in a Fett movie than I did in the Solo movie. I feel like the franchise is just being hijacked by a single generation of fans intent on pumping out glorified fan fiction. There's no interesting story to really tell with Fett as far as I can see - part of his original appeal was the sinister mystique he carried. Why do we have to have everything explained away?

I'll inevitably see it, of course, because I'm a fan, so I shouldn't really complain. I just fear this is all we're going to get from now on - movies based on a single character rather than an interesting story (like Rogue One told). I'd love an Obi Wan movie, but at this stage my first preference is for original material. There's so much untapped in the Star Wars universe that it seems silly to me to just develop this blinkered vision over a handful of characters.

Having said all of this, I can't help but feel like the ending of Solo is designed to feed into Fett....

Bland is the perfect review. I went to see it late last night and while there were elements to it and parts of the story I enjoyed, for the most part I was distinctly underwhelmed. I can totally see what Power means by calling it TV-movie like. Dare I say this is another instance of studio interference ultimately destroying a film because of the resultant need to blend two distinct creative visions?

On the downside, I didn't mind the simple and old fashioned adventure story, but I did think the writing was uncharacteristically poor for the Kasdans. Why introduce one set of characters in the first twenty minutes only to kill them all off for next to no effect (because we never get to know them, and because their deaths do not inform a single minute of the film thereafter)? Then to introduce us to a whole other set of characters thereafter, with whom we follow for the rest of the story...it was just weird.

I also thought it sucked how Han was basically a sidekick in his own film, and to various people. I never once felt like he was the driving force behind anything, but just reaction to what more important people were doing around him. Then there's the inherent issue with this and any other character-centric film set before the OT: the action had zero tension, because you know Han, Chewie, Lando and the Falcon are all going to survive regardless. The rest of the characters I didn't care enough about (primarily because everyone in the film excepting Han and Chewie were basically bad guys).

Lando's droid irritated the hell out of me every second it was on screen as well. Shrill, unfunny and annoying, I was pleased to see it get killed off relatively quickly. I'd watch Jar Jar over that droid any day.

Maul's cameo had me scratching my head more than anything - how it marries to where he is at the end of Clone Wars and where he is when we meet him again in Rebels best get explained with something pronto, because otherwise it's going to bug the hell out of me!

My biggest gripe, though, was the soundtrack. The OST to Rogue One did well to do its own thing but heavily invoke the spirit of John Williams and, by extension, Star Wars. Solo's soundtrack - with the exception of the Kessel Run sequence - was a hot mess that never seemed to match what was happening on screen and certainly didn't feel like a Star Wars soundtrack. It shocked me how much of the spirit of the franchise was lost as a result - I think it's a major reason as to why it felt so bland, actually.

But there was also a lot of aspects I really liked. I thought Alden Ehrenreich was absolutely excellent as Han. I felt like I was watching Han but never a Harrison Ford impersonation, so major kudos there. His chemistry with Chewie was great as well. So very impressed. I loved how they had Han and Chewie meet as well, and seeing that relationship start to develop was a lot of fun. I loved the entire Kessel Run sequence, and finally getting to see Han do something other than fly in a straight line or list lazily to the left to prove how good a pilot he really was proved to be very welcome. And we need to take a moment to appreciate Donald Glover's amazing showing as Lando - he felt more Lando than Billy Dee Williams at points! I kind of wish the entire film had been a Han / Lando buddy-up to be quite honest. Great chemistry there.

I didn't hate it. I didn't love it. I was underwhelmed by it, but I'll be happy to revisit it on blu-ray, if not in any hurry.

I did think it was telling that it was opening weekend and there were only around 12 people in my showing, though.

Great thoughts there Plan and I will side with the main thought here, bland. It was just such a normal movie.

Was it a bad movie? Absolutely not, it had a fun cast of characters (although the point about introducing that band only to kill them off stands out), an exciting story and some cool action but when I left I felt like I had watched just a generic movie that happened to be set in the Star Wars Universe.

I'm so used to Star Wars movies being different, they have always had a certain kind of magic about them. Whenever I've left one I have always had so many thoughts buzzing through my head, questions that I wanted to answer, things I wanted to discuss with other fans. That was true when I was a boy watching the OT, a kid/teen watching the prequels and now an adult watching the New Trilogy and Rouge One however I walked out of Solo feeling absolutely nothing. It was like watching a Mission Impossible or Oceans movie, great fun at the time but nothing to really sink my teeth into fan wise or anything that would make it worth a re-watch.

I'm not sure what left it feeling like it didn't have the 'magic' of Star Wars, it could have been the lowering of the stakes from galaxy wide to far more personal, it could have been the removal of the force and the jedi/sith dynamic from the equation or it could have simply been how haphazrdly the Star Wars parts were implemented. However I have gone through old star wars books and video games with all those problems and never left with that feeling before so I'm going to lay it at the feet of the chracters and writing. Apart from Qi'ra the characters didn't feel focused, while the acting was great for them Lando & Han felt more like they were having their backstory boxes checked off than that they were actual living characters whose actions had consequences and the less said about Woody Harrelson's character the better. The appearance of Dath Maul at the end was just weird to me and Plan you are right in saying that they soundtrack is pretty bland compared to any other Star Wars.

They say that movies are getting more like TV shows, well if this was a TV show it would be episode 6 in a 12 episode season and if this was a colour it would be beige. This wasn't Star Wars killed off, this was Star Wars corpratised.
    Last edited by SirSam; 05-27-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Sorry for the double post but here is a really interesting concept for a review by one of my favourite internet reviewers Jeremy Jahns wrapped up in a meta joke about the divisive internet commentary.

Basically as you watch each section he introduces the next part and you click if you liked it or not and he then delivers the kind of line that will agree/disagree with you.

The Brain
    Saw Solo this weekend! Thought it was very fun, not mind blowing but extremely well cast with a solid adventure story. Made me want to rewatch the original trilogy too, they did a great job connecting visually with that era. The reveal at the end was certainly unexpected!

I admit, I'd very much like to see a Boba Fett movie. I love the character and dislike what they did with him in the prequels (surprise, surprise!). In an ideal I'd start the movie with him blowing his way out of the Sarlaac Pit and go from there.

I'd definitely be down for an Obi-Wan movie too. Pretty much any Star Wars story is going to interest me at this point, and honestly I think I'm more invested in the standalone stories within the universe than I am in the new trilogy continuing!

Enjoyed it fine for what it was. It did forget it was meant to be fun at times and as with all Star Wars movies, there's some crummy dialogue in places. Some of them really hurt it and it took a while to recover.

Interestingly, I did not really think the casting was great on Han. Thought they had someone who looked like him rather than who brought the same kind of screen presence, which I was longing for at times.

Gun to my head I'd probably choose to watch it again before either of episodes 1 or 2. Saying that I've kind of reached the point where I don't rewatch any of them anymore.

Seems like box office has been a bit of a bust with Solo.

Like with wrestling by no means to I think mass populatiry or money making always equals quality or poor business equals low quality but I think in this case there is a big correlation. For the last few Star Wars movies there has been considerable buzz and lots of people have gone to see it twice or more. I'm guessing that hasn't happened anywhere near as much with Solo and I wonder what it means for the future of at least the Star Wars Stories section of the franchise which have often been plagued with creative tension and problems.

I don't think it'll end up losing money overall, but there's obviously some rethinking needed in how they time, promote, whatever. They're not blaming franchise fatigue at Disney, I've noticed.

I'd be taking a good look at that proposed Boba Fett movie if I was in charge, and thinking... maybe not. It's funny because the most unnecessary films - the odd on to a trilogy that was already quite clearly wrapped up and finished, and that had books out there for the hardcore few who really needed to know what happened next - have done very well. I've often thought the future of the franchise on screen needed to be in this kind of story that branches off from the main narrative, and yet they haven't performed as well as the mainline and this probably raises some questions about what they'll do next.

No time to panic yet, though. If the next one underperforms then there'll be panic.

One thing that could be an option is to reduce the budget. It worked for Star Trek between TMP and TWOK. Not only does it reduce the pressure at the box office because it's easier to turn a profit but you can end up with something that has a bit more grit to it. Obviously I'm not saying you can take an axe to the budget because these films do probably have to compete with Marvel et al in the days of blockbusters, but trimming down and forcing directors to deal with the challenge has produced good results in the past, and might well do again.

I think it has to do with the movie being Bland. While I enjoyed it, it was clearly not spectacular. Alden Ehrenreich did the bes the could, but for me and many, many others, he was NOT Han Solo. One of the main things was his voice. he did not sound like Han. On the other hand Donald Glover WAS Lando. He spent time with Billy Dee William learning his manner of speech and mannerisms. Ehrenreich just was not convincing.

The plot had some major inconsistencies.

Like why did they introduce that Han enlisted in the Imperial Flight Academy? There was absolutely no mention of this in later movies. Han and his attitude in the original trilogy, he would have clearly said at some point that the was formally in the Imperial Flight Academy and he knows how they operate. His ego would have definitely let that slip.

AND the other point that made me question the writer's choice was why did Han end up partially/initially funding the resistance? When we meet Han in Star Wars he clearly has no love for the Empire, and he also has absolutely no love for the resistance? Why? He practically started them by giving them enough all the money. It doesn't make sense. Again with his ego, Han would have said something along the lines of "The resistance? No way, Those guys are no better. I funded them in their beginnings and then they turned on me as well."

Those two points are revisionist history and change the Solo character. Everything we knew about Han was that he was a smuggler, and a clear independent only out for Himself, Chewy and money. But in this movie, he was an Imperial and sort of founder of the resistance. It makes him less outlaw, and that changes the way that people view him.

The flight academy thing has been a part of Han's backstory for as long as I can remember - it's definitely Lucas-written, even if it wasn't in the original movies. I suspect it's in there for the superfans.

As to the other point... I assumed they were building off the tendency in the original three movies for Han to fly into the rescue when he could just leave, or to lead dangerous assaults for the rebels, do heroic things, etc. Essentially I think it was always slightly implied that Han is less outlaw and more 'good' than he thinks he is, and they decided to really make that the core of the film. It was a bit heavy-handed but I don't think it was inconsistent with the later films, especially if you imagine that all the stuff in between with Jabba would probably have made him tougher still, harder to reach.

But yeah, just because I don't think it was inconsistent doesn't mean I think it was good. It was fine. Quite diverting. No better than that. I seem to remember liking some of the Solo books more, though I was a lot younger then.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 06-01-2018 at 08:11 AM.

However, all the books prior to Disney buying Lucasfilm are no longer cannon. So unfortunately, none of that can be taken into account.

Canon. Not cannon. That's a big gun.

Which bit, the Solo books? Yeah, I know that. And to be honest I just glanced at a plot summary of the first one and it doesn't sound great, so I don't think it holds up. I'm more bothered about the better books being junked out, the Solo stuff.... eh, who's really that bothered. They were fun at the time though.

If you mean the Solo backstory... I mean that wasn't just in books, that was sort of written into everything that I can remember. Character guides, games, novelizations, you name it. From what I understand, Han was always written with the idea that he was an ex-Imperial Pilot that was too unruly to fit in. It was, in a way, another point of distinction between the rigidness of the Empire and the freedom of the Republic/Rebellion. And it's quite clearly a Lucas idea because it appeared so early, and so widely in the Universe. So it's not a surprise to see it included, really.

The Brain
    I feel like people were down on Solo long before it came out, for one reason or another. I think that had more to do with a lower than normal box office than the actual quality of the film, though word of mouth/reviews could still have had some effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I feel like people were down on Solo long before it came out, for one reason or another. I think that had more to do with a lower than normal box office than the actual quality of the film, though word of mouth/reviews could still have had some effect.
    Replace the word Solo with any WWE PPV and you are probably right. Isn't it sad that modern fan culture has done this. I know it isn't the case for every Star Wars movie and Solo is genuinely pretty poor but it is still sd that the people who once loves something the most can become so disenfranchised.

As to thee plot inconsistencies, I think the most agregious is him helping whatever faction of the resistance that was. I do agree that he is generally a better guy than he pretends to be but it should have rated a mention, particularly early on when he is bragging to Luke and Obi Wan or at least to Princess Leia.

I don't think there's any way it's poor. It's just never any better than OK.

The Brain
    Yeah, poor is way too strong for me. Honestly I had a lot of fun with it, it wasn't amazing but I was able to just relax and have a good time with it.

What did everyone make of the Jedi robe "Controversy" on twitter?!

The Brain
    I had to look it up to even know what it was! Of all the plot holes you could make a case for, that one seems pretty far down the totem pole.

That is interesting given that it wasn't untill the prequels that the robe was canonised as the Jedi 'uniform' and Luke certainly never wore the robes in Empire of Return of The Jedi.

Would have to agree that it is a pretty weak plot hole to be kicking up against in a series so riddled with the damn things it is part I it's charm.

The Brain
    I mean, Luke kind of wears it in Return when he goes to see Jabba's Palace, right? but yeah, doesn't seem like a big thing.

Apparently there are NINE Star Wars movies in production, so people aren't fazed by Solo's poor returns at the box office.

Also it's broken as to what George Lucas planned to do in episodes 7-9, and frankly it sounds like fucking garbage.