Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I've been avoiding Rise of Skywalker articles like the absolute plague for fear of spoilers, but there have been some cool new character pictures emerge and we do know that the Knights of Ren will finally make an appearance, which is all really cool stuff. Dominic Monaghan's character's look has been revealed, and we've also seen an image of a new 'droidsmith' who looks pretty cool too. All in all, so far I'm very much loving what I'm seeing!

I got the new Lego Millenium Falcon last week - has a couple of minifig choices that might give things away, but I figure it's not a major point as Lego tend not to release spoilers within their kits unless Disney sign off on them. I believe they got stung for this a few years ago.

So, if anyone's interested - otherwise avert your eyes...

Lando's in there, presumably back as the owner. Chewie is there too. And a new droid, Dio. Also as a note, there's a new Y-Wing kit which is like a midway thing between the original resistance Y-Wing an the more well known one from the original trilogy, and it's piloted by the new character, Zorri Bliss.

Just booked myself a VII, VIII and IX trilogy viewing at the local Picturehouse, where IX is shown at midnight on the 19th. Excited!

Trailer looks great, definitely going to see it as soon as I can. Probably won't be the first day or two but as soon as possible afterwards.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

OK...I am a Star Wars fan, and I have been since 1977. But as I get older I watch movies and TV shows and I find myself asking some questions about plot holes and inconsistencies with every movie. I don't know why, but I do.

So lest night I rewatched The Last Jedi to refresh my memory for The Rise of Skywalker. And there were a major problem with the Space Travel, specifically the jump to and out of light speed. Let's just deal with the jump out of light speed. Light Speed (or more) is at least 186,000 miles per second, so when a ship instantly jumps out of LS like the Star Destroyers continually do in TLJ, they should not be instantly stopped. Space is a vacuum, and the law of inertia says a body in motion will stay in motion. So when a ship instantly comes out of light speed, they should continue to be moving at a ridiculous speed, not Stopped. Then there is the G-forces. We all have seat belts in our cars, and when the car comes to an abrupt stop we get thrown forward and the seat belts prevent us from hitting the dash or the windshield. But when the Ships instantly drop out of LS not one creature is thrust forward at 186,000 miles per second instantly killing them.

When the characters are on specific planets, these laws of physics apply. Remember the speeder races on Endor?

There's a whole topic on Physics and Star Wars on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_and_Star_Wars

My take on it... It's a fictional universe so physics stuff gets a pass for me. Story plot holes... now that's a different story.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Well, that was some interesting read.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Just booked myself a VII, VIII and IX trilogy viewing at the local Picturehouse, where IX is shown at midnight on the 19th. Excited!
    This was something I myself was tempted by, but in previous instances every time I've gone to a midnight showing of something I'm really looking forward to I more often than not fail to enjoy it out of sheer tiredness and fatigue. I therefore avoided the idea. I will, however, be watching all of the movies in the run-up, which is why, despite an overwhelming desire to watch them right now, I'm fighting it off in anticipation of December.

I've the Thursday and Friday booked off that week and a ticket booked in for a pre-9am showing on the Thursday morning - little waiting, but fresh as a daisy for it! That's my preference these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    ... ticket booked in for a pre-9am showing on the Thursday morning
    Exactly what I do for massive films I want to watch. Weekday (or Sunday), earliest showing possible to avoid the loud and obnoxious crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    This was something I myself was tempted by, but in previous instances every time I've gone to a midnight showing of something I'm really looking forward to I more often than not fail to enjoy it out of sheer tiredness and fatigue. I therefore avoided the idea. I will, however, be watching all of the movies in the run-up, which is why, despite an overwhelming desire to watch them right now, I'm fighting it off in anticipation of December.

I've the Thursday and Friday booked off that week and a ticket booked in for a pre-9am showing on the Thursday morning - little waiting, but fresh as a daisy for it! That's my preference these days.
    I did a midnight showing with Solo, but I think the afternoon nap I took helped me through!

Managed to double book this with a new tattoo as well, so will be a smashing couple of days.

I only saw Solo once, and I cannot watch that again. The only good part was Donald Glover as Lando.

Disney threw out basically every book from 1980 on and re-commissioned new books that were "new" cannon. And of those books there was a trilogy written called the Aftermath Trilogy. In this trilogy, specifically the book entitled Life Debt, they clearly explain how and where Han met Chewy and why they are now partners, Life Debt gives you some hint and I do not want to spoil it if you choose to read them.

Then in Solo, they threw out the cannon that Disney just had commissioned and had written, and okayed and made Han save Chewy from a jail type of cell. Terrible.

Then further, Han Solo was boasting about making the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs in Star Wars, and in TFA it was referenced, and then in Solo they crapped on the Kessel Run, by making it more of a fluke and that they needed to use Hypersapce, instead of Han doing the impossible as he usually pulls off, through smoke and mirrors.

Couple that with the actor they chose to play Han who was absolutely terrible, the movie was the second worst Star Wars film made.

My order of quality of movies:
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Rogue One
    3. Star Wars - A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. The Last Jedi
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. Solo
    10. The Phantom Menace

But basically all three Prequels were terrible.
    Last edited by Powder; 10-28-2019 at 10:34 AM.

If you're going to make such a big deal about canon, it'd help if you were to spell it right.

Anyway.... to go back to this....

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    So in between all the talk of a slow down, it sounds like there's been another trilogy green-lit, which will be led by the showrunners from Game of Thrones. I guess if they're doing the Johnson trilogy as well, that probably means all that stuff about a Boba Fett movie, and Obi-Wan movie, etc is all on hold for the time being.
    Looks like this is over as the GoT guys have pulled out after signing their exclusive Netflix contracts, though it also sounds as if both sides are leaving the door open for something in the future.

I honestly did not know there was a difference in spelling. I hate the English language.

Rita was too close to the door to close it.
    Dan’s wife said he should polish the Polish furniture on a regular basis.
    I did not object to the object in question.
    There is no time like the present to present a friend with a present.
    The vegetable farm was asked to produce organic produce for the local community.
    Unfortunately the insurance was invalid for the invalid.
    The dog lead was dangerous because it was made of lead.
    I had to hide the animal hide before my vegetarian friend came to dinner.
    A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer pipeline.
    There was a row between the oarsmen about how to row properly.
    The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
    She shed a tear upon seeing the tear in the painting.
    The soldier had to desert his platoon in the desert.
    I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
    The buck does get rather excited when the does are around.
    The dump was so full it had to refuse more refuse.
    To help plant the seeds the farmer taught his sow to sow.
    The contract was subject to the term that I didn't contract an illness within the first two months.
    It took me a minute to locate the minute hole in the fence.
    After months of procrastination, Helen decided to resume writing her resume.
    I shall stop here because I am content with this content!

But regardless, Canon is important within a universe.
    Last edited by Powder; 10-29-2019 at 09:57 AM.

My thoughts on Solo were that it was a good film - if you approached it without the weight of it being a Star Wars film. I've done that with a couple of things in recent years and probably enjoyed them more for it.

That's very much my reaction, if I remember right. Didn't hate it, didn't love it, thought it was kinda fun but ultimately weighed down a bit too much by the Star Wars tagline and the expectations that go along with that. But let's be realistic - it's pretty clear any Star Wars film is going to have to deal with that. Interesting to note that there is a campaign for a sequel out there and contrary to what I thought, Disney have squashed rumours that those were shelved when the first movie didn't make as much as they'd hoped. Possibly because the $90+ million it made at the box office had at least another $20m or so put on top of it once it was released on Blu-Ray and DVD. $100m in profits is no bad thing, really.

Oh, and for the record, Powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I honestly did not know there was a difference in spelling.
    From earlier in this very thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    However, all the books prior to Disney buying Lucasfilm are no longer cannon. So unfortunately, none of that can be taken into account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Canon. Not cannon. That's a big gun.
    Good to see people are paying attention!

This is what happens when you get old, and you memory slips from too much 'college'.

I wish the first episode was longer but I enjoyed the Mandalorian. Episode two is out tomorrow. The ending of the first episode definitely has me intrigued.

The Mandalorian. Wow. Just wow. I agree that the only negative is that the 3 episodes are not long enough.

Haven't caught it yet, except for Baby Yoda memes. Disney+ not being available in the UK is the issue.

Only a couple of weeks away from spending the night in a cinema for Star Wars and I'm very much looking forward to it! Actually saw a bit of a trailer for it before Frozen 2 at the weekend, and my 6 year old is now a little obsessed with Rey.

I genuinely cannot remember what happened in The Last Jedi, so happy to watch that before it now too.

I'll be commencing a rewatch of all the star wars films this weekend most probably. And by all I do mean all, even the prequel trilogy (which I don't hate as much as the standard star wars fan, mind you AOTC is a little hard to get invested in).

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I genuinely cannot remember what happened in The Last Jedi, so happy to watch that before it now too.
    It's weird you say that, as I'm in the same boat. Apart from the climax and Luke chucking the lightsaber away in the first scene, I don't think I can recall any other memorable moment in the whole film. Even I can recall numerous moments from the prequel series...

If the latest Mandalorian ended with who I thought it did, I can’t wait for the rest of the season. Good episode with a lot of fan service.