Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    That Bryan promo was fantastic. Great character work by him. There was a time where people thought he wasn't that good of a promo. Boy has he proved that wrong.

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

No Andrade Cien Almas, No Rusev, No Nakamara, No Sanity. What are we doing here?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    No Andrade Cien Almas, No Rusev, No Nakamara, No Sanity. What are we doing here?
    We needed Miz losing to a jobber and two Iiconics matches instead.

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    If WWE were smart they'd sign that jobber. Eli Everfly is a fucking awesome high flyer on the indies with a lot of potential (he's likely to appear on the fifth season of Lucha Underground should it happen). Good on him for getting a nice moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    I'm fine with the Iiconics, tbh. What was unneeded was that Thanksgiving feast match thing, whatever you want to call it. I get it, it was a fun comedy skit for the children blah blah blah, but honestly, it wasn't necessary.

At least Miz losing to a jobber hits a big storyline point - it has purpose, it wasn't just done with no sense behind it.

And hey, I love the IIconics and would rather watch two of their matches than one Natalya match, for example.

I find it interesting that the WWE still promotes that the first "ladder match" was at Wrestlemania X with HBK vs Razor Ramon. When in fact there were many ladder matches prior to WM10, some including Bret Hart.

Why do you ask am I bringing this up? Well the main page just reported that the "Latest WWE Hidden Gem" is a ladder match between Jerry Blackwell vs. Colonel DeBeers from an AWA event on November 27, 1986. This completely contradicts the WWE's own statements, which we all know that do all the time. (Face palm)

Here is the link if you do not want to look back....

I seem to remember them promoting the Mania 10 match as the first televised ladder match. I could be wrong about that, though.

WWE is more concerned about promotiong their own history than anyone else's. Plus, its a good marketing tool. I wouldn't wrap myself up in it..

Also, Jake Roberts and Big Daddy Ritter (JYD) had a ladder match in like 79' up in Stampede. Something WWE promoted on the ladder match DVD as one of the first ever ladder matches.
    Last edited by LK3185; 12-07-2018 at 06:06 PM.

I would have loved to have seen a Ruby Riott vs Daphney match. Both women are the alternative HOT.

So with the "Shake up" happening and the McMahons stating that they are not going to stifle the talent, does that imply less scripted promos? God i hope so, the Attitude Era worked so well b/c the wrestlers were able to expand on a basis of ideas, and not speak scripted lines. Let the personalities of the wrestlers shine though.

All it lmplies is less heel authority. There's no behind the scenes change.

If anyone thinks anything different will come of it, I've got some magic beans for sale.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    If anyone thinks anything different will come of it, I've got some magic beans for sale.
    I'll buy those magic beans!!

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    All it lmplies is less heel authority. There's no behind the scenes change.
    That may not be entirely true.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    I'll buy those magic beans!!
    I don't want beans, but do you have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale?

This. Reminder that the 'new Raw' featured:

- two lengthy Baron Corbin segments
    - a Baron Corbin match being announced, that then turned into a handicap match - exactly what Corbin was doing when he was 'killing the show' (not to mention it was just a TLC rehash)
    - a match ending in a no contest due to outside interference
    - long promos to set up matches they could’ve just announced
    - Rollins doing the 'disguise' bit that always happens
    - The Tag Team graveyard continuing, whilst featuring a group of ex-NXT wrestlers that haven't had development opportunities on the main roster, whilst advertising a bunch of new NXT call-ups.
    - Elias vs Bobby Lashley
    - All the women fighting in something that is at least Battle Royal adjacent, if not an actual Battle Royal

They can't even 'reboot Raw' on the Raw that they say they're 'rebooting Raw'.

Raw should literally start with a card that says 'Forget about it - just watch Smackdown'. It's worthless as a program right now.

I think its a bit of harsh critique on Raw... Mainly because I didn't see it as a reboot.. its more like we're going to give you new faces, more opportunities for others instead of just giving rematches.. (hence AOP losing their Title rematch... ) oh and no heel authority figures to hold people down kayfabe wise. You had the revival, a popular NXT team win a tag title chance, A women's gauntlet match that showcased everyone and was quite good (the winner is questionable but given the title match is done on a taped raw who cares?) and Baron Corbin can't go around abusing his power.

This doesn't change the fact that the McMahons missed the point about their creative but its better than what they were doing.

Apparently the WWE has made Kenny Omega a really good offer....

https://www.thesportster.com/news/ww...r1LjDZUsIwxUYw

I read that last week too. Not sure what it really means, though. Not sure Kenny will really enjoy working for WWE, I'd probably rather see him working for AEW with his pals.

The main page has a story that Abyss is "reportedly heading to the WWE". Why? Why bring in another 45 year old who is past his prime? I would have loved to have Abyss come to the WWE around 2004-5 when her was at the height of his career and he could have had a program with both Mick Foley and Undertaker.

What is the point on bringing him in? There are few hardcore matches, and they do not need another "monster", they have Braun and McIntyre, and IF Lars Sullivan can move past his anxiety. The WWE does not need 45 year olds, they need youth.

Abyss left Impact? When?

Here is the report:

Sonjay Dutt and Impact Wrestling Hall of Famer Abyss are expected to start working with WWE soon after making their exits from Impact, according to PWInsider.

Impact officials announced the departures to the rest of the roster in an e-mail, wishing the two veterans well. The departures were said to be amicable both both Dutt and Abyss. It was said that the company did not want to hold back both men from pursuing better opportunities that they were offered.

Dutt had been working on the Impact creative team with Jimmy Jacobs, Don Callis and Scott D’Amore, taking on a significant role. Abyss had been working behind-the-scenes as a producer. Abyss was the longest-tenured performer in TNA/Impact history, starting with the company back in 2002. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame last October.
    Now , if Abyss is coming into the WWE as a producer, then ok, but please not as a wrestler.

I imagine he'll come in, get a few quick wins to establish himself as a monster, then will put someone over. That's the difference between him and the other guy mentioned - he's not a long term project so he can be a big win for someone you want to make.

WWE always needs an experienced hand behind the scenes for agenting/producing. If Abyss has been doing that in Impact, it certainly won't be a bad thing to have him around.

I was an Abyss mark when I watched Impact so I have the biased opinion that I'd like to see him get a push in the WWE. I think a Kane vs Abyss feud would be pretty neat if Abyss has at the very least a similar character to what he had in Impact.

However, you are right that he should probably not come to the WWE as a full fledged wrestler. I, however wouldn't be upset if he did, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    The WWE does not need 45 year olds, they need youth.
    Why does it matter how old someone is if they can get the job done? AJ Styles is tearing it up at 41. It doesn't matter how old someone is, it matters if they're being used in the best way possible.

I expect he'll come in as a producer, probably in NXT at first. I think they'd be silly not to have him come in for a few shots at Full Sail, maybe leading to giving someone like Velveteen Dream that establishing win in some sort of gimmick match. But that would be it.

Then again, they've had Adam Pearce for how long and never used him in the ring even for a one off?

I mean, why bring in a 45 year old? Push Strowman and give him a title run. Push Lars when he can debut. Use McIntyre. The WWE has their own monsters. Hell you could even make Rusev back into a monster easily.

If Abyss was 10 years younger and the WWE could get 5+ years out of him then sure, but if not then I do not see the point.

Also AJ Styles came into the WWE when he was 38, a full 7 years younger than Abyss currently is.

Kane vs Abyss
    Foley vs Abyss
    Taker vs Abyss

Three feuds that should have happened from 2002-20010.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-24-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Now that we're on the topic of Abyss, how is he remembered? Does he go down as one of those really great guys to have never gone to WWE? Or is he just a decent hand and a hardcore guy who worked for Impact in the 00's?

With his style, personality, size and what he was willing to put himself through, would he have been another Mick Foley if he'd come around a decade earlier? Could he have been a massive star in Japan and Puerto Rico if he'd come around in the 80's?

Was Abyss really great? I mean he was a good hand who made his name as a hardcore guy, as you said.

How was he on the Microphone? Foley was second only to Heyman on the mic, could Abyss talk? if not then I do not see him as another Foley, but he could have been perfect for a foil to Taker, Kane and Foley from 1996-2002.

Wasn't James Mitchell his manager for a long time because of that?
    Last edited by Powder; 01-24-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Abyss could talk pretty well. Are we comparing him to Foley, though? Because not many people come up that well against Mick at his best.

I didn't mean to compare him to Foley outright, I meant to answer the question of "could he have been another Foley?"

I mean Kane for instance, when he finally talked was passable, and then he got much better, and could hold his own.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-24-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Right, gotcha. Well I think if wrestling had done more to keep the effect of a lot of the stuff he was willing to do special he'd have been a bigger name, so yeah, can see the point about him being a huge deal in another time and place making a lot of sense.

I mean, I'm not sure Abyss is an all time great performer up there with the likes of Rock and Hogan, but I wonder if he came along at the wrong time.

By the time he was really getting noticed, guys were killing themselves with weed whackers in CZW so the novelty of Hardcore had worn off somewhat. But he can still take a hardcore match and bring out the art in it. I think that's what sets guys like he and Foley apart. A lot of guys are willing to endure punishment, but guys like Abyss and Foley can make it high art.

Abyss proved pretty versatile as a performer and character with Joseph Park. If given more than just "you're a monster, be a monster" he can talk.

Ultimately though, it's the brutal stuff that got Foley noticed enough to go to ECW and get a microphone. He wasn't known as a promo guy in WCW. His hardcore stuff in Japan and that reputation got him in to WCW. His brutality in WCW got him noticed and got him over and got him a mic in ECW. His mic work in ECW (and constant prodding by JR) got him signed to WWE. And the rest is history. I wonder if, in a different time, Abyss could have made it big in Japan and Puerto Rico, gotten that shot on the US stage and run with it.

Just when we couldn't get enough of Lucha House Party, the main page is reporting that we maybe getting another Lucha stable on Smackdown consisting of Rey, Andrade, and Sin Cara. The report also said that it would be a six man stable, but doesn;t name anyone else, so maybe includes the Lucha House party?

But WHY???

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I mean, why bring in a 45 year old? Push Strowman and give him a title run. Push Lars when he can debut. Use McIntyre. The WWE has their own monsters. Hell you could even make Rusev back into a monster easily.

If Abyss was 10 years younger and the WWE could get 5+ years out of him then sure, but if not then I do not see the point.

Also AJ Styles came into the WWE when he was 38, a full 7 years younger than Abyss currently is.

Kane vs Abyss
    Foley vs Abyss
    Taker vs Abyss

Three feuds that should have happened from 2002-20010.
    Well if you want to get technical, didn't an Abyss vs Foley feud happen in TNA? I know it's not the same promotion, but still.

But Foley was past his prime, and already was limited physically. Imagine a Foley of 97 vs Abyss of 2004?

So the WWE finally revealed the new Daniel Bryan's eco-friendly WWE belt. While I think it is perfect for his gimmick, and will keep people talking, it is a shame really as the belt is ugly.

I am completely surprised that Vince okayed that belt to be the representation of the WWE Championship. The main page is reporting that there was another design that they chose not to use:
    The other design was said to be not as “drastic” as the one that was revealed. The other design included an “eco sourced” strap and “recycled materials” to make up the plates. That design also still had a shine to it.
    I personally, would have rather had that one, sight unseen.

You’re the first person I’ve seen who hated it.

Looks like Bryan is going to have a fairly lengthy title reign. If they were going to have him drop the belt at mania, there'd be no point in having a new title belt at the ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You’re the first person I’ve seen who hated it.
    I don't hate it, I said it was perfect for the character, but it is ugly.

The Smoking Skull belt was cool.
    The Spinner Belt fit the character of Cena and was gawdy, but still ok.
    The Rated-R Spinner Belt, a variation of Cena's.
    And now the Eco-Friendly belt.

Besides those four, have there been any other WWE title made specifically for a champion? I know TNA had the Jeff Hardy Belt.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    Looks like Bryan is going to have a fairly lengthy title reign. If they were going to have him drop the belt at mania, there'd be no point in having a new title belt at the ready.
    And awesome. The WWE needs to keep long title reigns in place, especially with a part timer on the other show.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-30-2019 at 10:30 AM.