Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    That premiere episode was so horrendously bad. Many people, like myself, walked away from the product right then. Some gave them more of a chance. Those people are now cutting the cord in droves. This won't get better. Maybe WWE will wake up, and realize they can't just be lazy assholes and actually have to put genuine thought and effort into their product. As is the product is insulting to fan's intelligence, and a waste of invested time.

All of this is true, but I would tend to believe that the switch to FS1 last week was a major influence on the low ratings. There was almost no promotion indicating the switch. I know for me, I looked to Smackdown and saw the World Series and then I had to search for Smackdown, and finally found it on FS1.

Also, this was bad timing for the WWE. Fox knew for at least a year that they would have the WS on Friday 10/25, so why wouldn't they wait to begin SD until a few weeks later? They started the show, and then in week 3? they change the channel? Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    All of this is true, but I would tend to believe that the switch to FS1 last week was a major influence on the low ratings. There was almost no promotion indicating the switch.
    This is 100% incorrect. Fox had been promoting all week, on Sunday and Thursday night, that Smackdown would be on FS1 instead of Fox. So unless the only reason you watch the channel is for Smackdown and thus didn't see anything else, the promotion was there. On top of that, while FS1 isn't in as many homes as Fox, it's still in about 85 million homes, which isn't far off from the USA Network, TNT and is right there with ESPN. People have this channel. You can use the switch as an excuse for some sort of drop but not a drop from 2.4 million to 888K. That's the audience voting with their remote, whether it's quality related or World Series related (if you're going to have a defense for the low rating, that would be the one, although that hasn't affected RAW, NXT or AEW nearly as much).

Now is it time to panic yet? No. There is no way around this being a terrible number, but Fox isn't giving up at this point. They will blame the channel switch (and again, that was a factor; I just don't believe it was even close to the main one) and will expect the ratings to be back to normal either this Friday or the next. Whether or not it will be we'll see, but I'd expect it would at least be 1.9 million and while that may not be what Fox wanted, they'll live with that and the rest of the year will be WWE trying to get the number stabilized back in the 2's. The only reason to worry would be if the Smackdown number is identical to this past week's number for the next two weeks on Fox. If they draw below a million this Friday and next Friday...then you need to panic.

Last week, I only switched to Fox to see the World Series a few times but nothing consistent and no commercials and did not watch Fox other than that, so then I missed all of the promotion.

So, Nattie and Lacey Evans are having a match at WWE In The Sheik's House: Blood Money 2: Electric Boogaloo.

That's a really big, and very notable, step for WWE on these shows. I'm still against the idea of them being held, but it feels like they're moving towards this potentially becoming the norm on the shows going forward.

But why them? They are now on separate brands and we were told that the last women standing match was going to be the last time (for a while) that they would face each other.

I don't think it really matters why it's them, but I'm sure there are reasons why they aren't putting on high profile women's title matches at this point in time (for example)

I mean, when you look at it, neither Bayley or Becky have done anything to build up a rivalry because (I assume) having a women's match on this show wasn't planned until they got clearance, probably not long before the announcement was made. Add to that WWE being in this weird dead zone before Survivor Series where we'll likely end up with Brock vs Seth, Becky vs Bayley, champion vs champion etc and it's unlikely they've got much more planned for either of them in the short-term.

Plus, I would say Nattie vs Lacey is a pretty 'safe' choice, they won't do, or be expected to do, anything other than a standard wrestling match - nobody's going to be expecting dives, moonsaults, etc - so it's going to be a pretty easy match to run without the need for it to live up to high expectations of performance.

And if there is an issue with the crowd during it they've got Nattie in there who is experienced enough to walk Lacey through to a quick ending and get them out of the ring (not sure how much of a risk this actually is, if that makes sense?). Plus nobody that WWE wants to build around then gets associated with 'that disaster in Saudi Arabia' if it all goes tits up for whatever reason - they can just quietly shuffle these two off TV for a few months and it won't hurt their plans.

Unless of course they get stoned to death. Gonna need heightened security.

I can't imagine that's going to happen. WWE isn't announcing this match without having spoken to officials there, and I'll bet their wardrobe choices will be vetted with officials before the match as well.

It's almost like when Steph said over a year ago that they were trying to slowly influence change she actually meant it. You know, like a human being and not the character fans have decided all the McMahons are.

If they're so worried about the males getting boners they should have sent Nia Jax and Tamina over. They wouldn't have to alter their ring gear much either.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    If they're so worried about the males getting boners they should have sent Nia Jax and Tamina over. They wouldn't have to alter their ring gear much either.
    That's messed up.

It feels like one of those things that seems small right now, but years from now, it COULD mean a lot. I really don't know. I credit WWE for attempting to help push positive change. I know it's all for their own publicity, and to justify taking such awkward money. But, if they can push their own selfish business desires while also aiding people in need, then in the end it might be a fair deal. Right now is too soon to say though.

I hear it turned into clobberin time on WWE Backstage tonight...

YES! Punk turned up, and he's turning up again next week. Nothing much to it, he shows up at the end of the show and says 'just when they think they got the answers, I change the culture'

Renee's little smirky smile is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfOR8sSiGU

I actually think this is really great for everyone involved. Whether WWE are really closely involved or not I don't care. Punk will get more people to watch Backstage next week, which I understand has been doing pretty poorly to date. Plus, Punk could always talk 'em into a building.
    Last edited by Oliver; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:02 AM.

It did 49,000 viewers last week. That's not doing poorly; that's doing disastrously and I'm guessing that led to Fox re-evaluating Punk and bringing him aboard.

Just in case anyone really, REALLY wants to get their hopes up about this, I would just caution for right now that the deal is with Fox, not WWE. He works for them and as of now is only scheduled to appear "periodically" for this show. I'm not trying to throw water on this; all of that is really, really cool and even I, the non WWE fan, thought it was great to see him again. I just don't want people to think there's more to this than what we see and get disappointed. Right now it's just this Backstage gig. We'll see where it goes.

I don’t know why they thought it’d do well in the first place. The lighting was so bad you could barely see Punk except for the long shots.

I mean, I think a lot of that was Punk getting right up into a static camera where tier isn't lighting and the focus is fixed for the main cast.

One thing for sure - I'll pay attention to Backstage next week. I haven't disliked what I've seen, but it's hardly appointment viewing. But just to watch half an hour of Punk talking makes next week worth watching.

I'm not expecting much from it, and I'm certainly not expecting anything which makes me excited for anything to come. It'll probably be the same as what I've seen previously. But the presence of Punk makes me happy to watch it again.

I won't be watching it live but I'll be looking for clips of the show for sure. I'm definitely interested in seeing how he is on this show and I expect he won't pull any punches and will give an honest opinion when asked about it (unless they decide not to have him discuss the current product). That'll be the most interesting thing in the short term because if Punk is how I expect and is critical of certain aspects of the show (or perhaps even heavily critical) then things could get fascinating really quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    It did 49,000 viewers last week. That's not doing poorly; that's doing disastrously and I'm guessing that led to Fox re-evaluating Punk and bringing him aboard.
    This is incredibly inaccurate. While comparing to other wrestling shows, yes, it's bad. But comparing to previous FS1 at 11:00 viewership, it's a solid rating, and an improvement.

That said, it's still possible WWE/Fox expected better and backed up the Brinks truck to Chicago.

Where you and I also agree is that this won't lead to anything in the ring. If the endgoal was to get Punk in the ring, he wouldn't make his surprise return on FS1 near midnight of a Tuesday.

I'm not so sure about it not leading to anything in the ring.

Punk said in plain English that he's open to a phone call if they want to make one to him. I'm not sure he'd hold out for the $20 million that he said it would take, but for one final match, or something where he's doing a match or two a year with the ability to keep doing everything else he's doing -- the Brock deal -- this is one gigantic step closer to that phone call being made.

I don't think that phone call is too far off, either. Does he wrestle in 2020? I would doubt that. Does that phone call come from Vince or Hunter in 2020 if this WWE Backstage thing is working out? I think it does.

Maybe all that phone call leads to is a HOF induction at 37 and a less strained relationship. But we've seen it from how many people who have become more involved? Being around the business again, especially being around someone like Paige who wishes she even had the option to still do it, tends to lead to that itch.

Transgender Terror
    So, Jordan Myles...

If he was allowed to quit then Luke Harper, Mike Bennett and Sin Cara need to release periscope videos filled with profanity immediately. That appears to be the way out!

Sasha went with rap lyrics instead. Clearly ACH's plan > Sasha's plan.

Until WWE makes an official statement, I don't know what's true or isn't. But what a mess.

CM Punk is a truck stop prostitute- he will sell his soul for a few bucks.

He'll be back in a ring. And if they don't rim him enough, he'll even complain about it after on podcasts. He just needs cheap comfort to soothe his fractured ego.

Fans will be left as annoyed and frustrated as ever.

Careful what you wish for.

Transgender Terror
    I've been wishing for Randy Orton for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    Until WWE makes an official statement, I don't know what's true or isn't. But what a mess.
    I mean the man himself said he was quitting, in a video and then with a tweet. Unless you think this is a work it's pretty self explanatory, and holy hell this being a work would be so dumb that I can't imagine it is.

I would bank that ACH has in fact quit but that WWE also hasn't released him. And probably won't.

That's the difference. He says he's unemployed, that's what I question. I believe he's mentally out of it right now, no denying that. His status of being unemployed? Questionable.

If you quit, you quit. He no longer gets a paycheck. So how can the WWE 'not release' him. This is not asking for out of your contract. This is resigning.

I do understand that regardless, he probably has to abide by the 90 day non-compete clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    If you quit, you quit. He no longer gets a paycheck. So how can the WWE 'not release' him. This is not asking for out of your contract. This is resigning.

I do understand that regardless, he probably has to abide by the 90 day non-compete clause.
    That's exactly what "quitting" is in this case. He's in a contract. He can quit all he wants, but WWE could just as easily enforce the terms of that contract so that he can't wrestle anywhere else either.

In the meantime, he'd best not cash any of those cheques that they're going to continue to send him if he expects he's going to face a legal battle.

If I'm Vince, it's easier just to cut my losses. No 90 days, no games, just let the guy go rather than risk any potential bad publicity. It's not like he means a damn to the company anyway.

If the WWE enforces the terms of the contract, then they will definitely see some real bad PR.

No, they won't. Right or wrong, he's gone about this in a very odd way. He's hurt his own side of the argument in many ways, and WWE have handled this shockingly well. It would be so easy for an official statement about giving ACH time to recover, and offer him help while under their contract.

Seriously, Luke Harper has a better case to create some bad PR. I know racism is a bigger news story, but there's an obvious side to this issue where WWE isn't the petty greedy evil company. Harper on the other hands is all about them being petty.

Also, it could be really a dangerous precedent for WWE to release someone from their contract for a twitter rant. If ACH's gets granted, you know that will be the next step any of the other talent supposed to want to leave will take is to do the same.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of counter statement from WWE to what ACH has come out and said. Like, there are thing in that statement they will want to publicly rebuke.

If they are to release/fire him, I imagine they'll find due reason a plenty in his statement. Their social media policy probably has some stringent points associated it it which he'll have surely violated, for example.

As you say - it's a dangerous precedent in a way. Could be future scenarios where a talent wants to be released so set a about gearing WWE down in Twitter. But equally, this is pretty out there, even for that.

I'm still kind of in the mindset of just hoping ACH is alright in this.
    Last edited by Oliver; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I'm still kind of in the mindset of just hoping ACH is alright in this.
    I don't know a single person who's commented on this who doesn't feel the same. Whether we agree the shirt issue involved racism or not, nobody seems to wish illwill on ACH

Oh you would be surprised unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    Also, it could be really a dangerous precedent for WWE to release someone from their contract for a twitter rant. If ACH's gets granted, you know that will be the next step any of the other talent supposed to want to leave will take is to do the same.
    The thing is that I think a lot of talents know how bad this whole situation has made ACH look and they see that a lot of people who initially supported him have stopped. An exploitative-filled Twitter tirade against the company isn't the best option for everyone, but for some people who they might not otherwise want to release, it's the only way.

It's like I said with the Sasha situation: make yourself impossible for them to keep around. Every WWE TV show is live, so say or do something that they can't ignore. Use the fact that you have 2 million dedicated Twitter followers to spread the message that you hate your job and want out. Change your Twitter password (that'll probably get you at least a talking to).

It makes you look horrible and unemployable. If I was the next promoter, I'd want nothing to do with you regardless of if you can bring eyeballs to my product. But if you want out that badly, it's a risk you have to be willing to take on yourself and your ability to rebound.

If some old school names had a pay dispute, they'd wait until the fans were there and walk out of the building with their bags in full view of the fans before the matches started so they all knew he'd left. Then it was up to the promoter to pay up, or risk a riot because his advertised babyface main event wasn't going to be delivered.

Wrestlers have some power, it's less and less these days, and I'm in full support of them exercising it when they need to rather than just whining to Meltzer or posting cryptic, passive-aggressive stuff on Instagram.

If that's the case, all 'live broadcasts' are not live anymore. They are usually on some sort of tape delay of at least 5-20 seconds with someone manning the button to bleep out unwanted curses. With that said, I'm sure that if someone, like Sasha, was going to shoot a promo on 'live tv', then in that brief time, I'm sure that Vince can have the truck cut to commercial, or 'go dark' and then cut to commercial, remove Sasha from the ring, and explain it away as technical problems.

However, walking out, does have much more weight, but with the entire roster in the back, all the WWE would have to say is that 'Sasha" got sick or injured and we needed to find a replacement.

Unfortunately Social Media is the way that this younger generation communicates, and how they announce their displeasure.
    Last edited by Powder; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:12 PM.

You don't have to go out and "shoot" or any shit like that. Walk to the ring for your match. Miss all your camera cues, don't do your little song and dance entrance, just walk out there stone faced. Ignore your agent and call the entire match in the ring, and don't do any of your signature spots.

Put a "Fucking fire me, Vince" t-shirt on under your ring jacket if you feel you have to.

You're on a delay, but there's only so much that can be done without a massive inconvenience and making yourself so difficult to keep employed and on TV, that eventually they aren't going to have a choice.

True, or go out and do a Gail Kim and eliminate yourself.

Or a Jeff Jarrett and lay down for Hogan.