Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 121 to 160 of 169
  1. #121
    Junior Member Nodqfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Texas.
    Posts
    11
    Wait the concert was going to be a legitimate thing?

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodqfan View Post
    Wait the concert was going to be a legitimate thing?
    It's obviously going to be a segment that will further Elias' feud with Lashley.

  3. #123
    Junior Member Nodqfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Texas.
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    It's obviously going to be a segment that will further Elias' feud with Lashley.
    Oh, my bad I almost forgot about that feud.

  4. #124
    Ed Cohen, longtime WWE live events executive, passed away. He was instrumental in house show revenue growth from the national expansion to the early '00s.

    Twitter: @libsuperstar

  5. #125
    Lots of WWE-Pentagon Jr. rumors picking up Twitter again today. Did something happen?

  6. #126
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    435
    WWE's interest in Pentagon Jr. was reported by Sports Illustrated. Though not as big as they were, it's still big news when SI reports something like that.


    Editted: Pentagon himself had verified the rumors in his Facebook by posting an article talking about WWE's interest then saying in Spanish, thank you for all your support.
    Last edited by LWO4Life; 09-06-2018 at 07:46 AM.

  7. #127
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    671
    it all points to him coming in eventually. I don't really know how to feel about it, he's been everywhere and deserves the chance but I have no faith that they will handle him right. Also think his brother would have more long term potential in WWE.

  8. #128
    Keep him in NXT and I'd be thrilled, but he deserves a bigger stage than NXT eventually.

    I just don't want Lucha House Party to get another member.

  9. #129
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    it all points to him coming in eventually. I don't really know how to feel about it, he's been everywhere and deserves the chance but I have no faith that they will handle him right. Also think his brother would have more long term potential in WWE.
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Keep him in NXT and I'd be thrilled, but he deserves a bigger stage than NXT eventually.

    I just don't want Lucha House Party to get another member.
    Oh dear God no. WWE putting them in Lucha House Party would be... stupid. I don't even think the current LHP likes being LHP, at least as their current gimmick is. If anything, I'd have them add another member destroy LHP on the first night, then move on to the roster as a bad ass Lucha heel faction. Even Fenix can start as a heel and eventually break up the group, but at first, they have to come in and dominate.

  10. #130
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    205
    He's not going anywhere. It's just him playing into the rumors, which themselves are false. I know for a fact that all the "Pentagon to WWE" stuff was fed by AAA in the last month in order to build buzz to Pentagon potentially losing his mask in the Triplemania main event (he did not; El Hijo del Fantasma, aka King Cuerno, was the one who got unmasked by LA Park). None of it is true, and that's before you take into account that Pentagon is working both major promotions in Mexico and is signed with MLW, Impact and most notably Lucha Underground, the latter who has him contracted for three more seasons and isn't getting rid of (he's their number one guy and he's also happy being there). I've also been told separately that WWE isn't even interested in him; they like Fenix, but they aren't a fan of Pentagon's limited English when they already have several guys in Almas and Metalik who struggle with that (whereas Fenix speaks it pretty well).

    So don't buy into this. Pentagon is staying put for the foreseeable future. This is just him, AAA and Konnan working people.


  11. #131
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    He's not going anywhere. It's just him playing into the rumors, which themselves are false. I know for a fact that all the "Pentagon to WWE" stuff was fed by AAA in the last month in order to build buzz to Pentagon potentially losing his mask in the Triplemania main event (he did not; El Hijo del Fantasma, aka King Cuerno, was the one who got unmasked by LA Park). None of it is true, and that's before you take into account that Pentagon is working both major promotions in Mexico and is signed with MLW, Impact and most notably Lucha Underground, the latter who has him contracted for three more seasons and isn't getting rid of (he's their number one guy and he's also happy being there). I've also been told separately that WWE isn't even interested in him; they like Fenix, but they aren't a fan of Pentagon's limited English when they already have several guys in Almas and Metalik who struggle with that (whereas Fenix speaks it pretty well).

    So don't buy into this. Pentagon is staying put for the foreseeable future. This is just him, AAA and Konnan working people.
    I hope your right.

  12. #132
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    205
    There's no reason to hope. This is 100% truth and even if I hadn't been told this directly, all we'd need is Pentagon's LU contract to know he isn't going anywhere. He's signed for seven seasons (he even turned down a deal to shorten it for more money at one point) and they're only in season four, and more seasons will be coming (the plan is to go up to seven seasons). LU would have to release him and there's no way that's happening when he's both their top star and happy to be there (which he is. If he weren't, he would've forced his departure when the max exodus from AAA happened last year). He's not going anywhere. AAA, Konnan and him are trying to work people and evidently they've done a good job based on this thread.


  13. #133
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    There's no reason to hope. This is 100% truth and even if I hadn't been told this directly, all we'd need is Pentagon's LU contract to know he isn't going anywhere. He's signed for seven seasons (he even turned down a deal to shorten it for more money at one point) and they're only in season four, and more seasons will be coming (the plan is to go up to seven seasons). LU would have to release him and there's no way that's happening when he's both their top star and happy to be there (which he is. If he weren't, he would've forced his departure when the max exodus from AAA happened last year). He's not going anywhere. AAA, Konnan and him are trying to work people and evidently they've done a good job based on this thread.
    I blame Konnan for all of this!

  14. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    671
    I mean I don't follow it that closely so I don't feel worked lol. Its not like I went hunting to confirm the rumors were true..

    But I'm glad he isn't going anywhere cause like I said, i'm skeptical they would know how to use Penta

  15. #135
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    435
    They wouldn't. They might with Fenix, but Pentagon Jr., nope, they wouldn't have the slightest clue.

  16. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    671
    You would have to treat him like a special attraction similar to say the Great Muta... and the way WWE does things, that would never happen. Maybe in NXT but not on the Main roster. Fenix could be that underdog babyface... and work unlike Kalisto.... but I don't when/if that ever happens.

  17. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I know for a fact that all the "Pentagon to WWE" stuff was fed by AAA in the last month in order to build buzz to Pentagon potentially losing his mask in the Triplemania main event (he did not; El Hijo del Fantasma, aka King Cuerno, was the one who got unmasked by LA Park).
    I'm...I'm going to go to the actual lucha libre thread to discuss this and TripleMania, actually.

  18. #138

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Holy fuck. That video of Zelina Vega talking to Renee about her father passing away on 9/11. Waterworks.
    It really was. I feel for her, but I know she is making her father proud.

  20. #140
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    435
    If they ever want to turn her face, just play that video... you could never boo her again. Man. I'm not crying, just allergies.

  21. #141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    671
    I saw her mention it while she was in TNA but never to that extent.

  22. #142
    The Brain
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,815
    Since this thread is a bit dead at the moment and it is general discussion, just gonna insert a classic match review in here!

    Owen Hart vs. X Pac 6/28/98 WWF King of the Ring

    I'm an enormous fan of both guys, so it should surprise no one that I had a real blast watching this one. You could say that Owen's time had passed by this period, and that Waltman never really had a period to call his own, but you'd never know it from the effort on display here. Waltman's physicality and commitment always impresses me, and does so again here and he uses unorthodox offense to take the fight to Owen. Owen, for his part, is such a master, working perfectly with Waltman to both make him look even better without losing too much of himself. We lost such a great one with Owen. Things devolve into the expected Attitude nonsense as Chyna, Mark Henry, and Vader(!) get involved before the finish, but the actual meat of this match is great, especially considering they had less than 10 minutes to work with. Big props to both guys, in an era where the in ring product was often an afterthought they came out to produce something worthwhile and succeeded fantastically.

  23. #143
    Lamb of LOP anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    186 miles from Sheepster
    Posts
    312
    Happy Fucking Birthday Eddie. I love you. I miss you. Hope you’re having fun up there...

  24. #144
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    180
    Being reported that Chelsea Green signed with the WWE.

  25. #145
    What exactly is the point of the world cup battle royal? The same as the greatest royal rumble match?

    EDIT: Never mind. I don't know why I thought it was a battle royal. I need to pay attention more...
    Last edited by LifeLostInRewind; 10-09-2018 at 10:02 PM.

  26. #146
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    Being reported that Chelsea Green signed with the WWE.
    Be interesting to see how that fits with her LU commitments.

  27. #147
    Lamb of LOP anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    186 miles from Sheepster
    Posts
    312
    https://www.skysports.com/wwe/news/1...ived-wwe-offer

    Interesting article and I could see it happening. They’ll throw a shitload of money at him too.

  28. #148
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    120
    From the main page:

    Fox network officials reportedly want SmackDown to show less comedy and take more of a sports direction, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
    ...When even the mainstream people don't want your notion of comedy wrestling 'sports entertainment', you know all that hokey high-school theatre level stuff that is supposedly there to attract the casuals, but in reality is just cringe to everyone not inside the WWE bubble?
    Last edited by Alan; 10-19-2018 at 02:54 AM.

  29. #149
    Member #25 SirSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,053
    That is pretty awesome too see. Some people the WWE will listen to.

    The thing is that comedy is alright in wrestling when it is good, just look at The Rock or in NJPW Yano. The problem is that the WWE seems to he obsessed with comedy even when it is bad and then it isn't bad because it's comedy it is bad because it is bad TV. The crowd isn't laughing at the 4th of July BBQ the B- Team hosted they are bored and frustrated because it sucks.



    @Sir_Samuel

  30. #150
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    That is pretty awesome too see. Some people the WWE will listen to.

    The thing is that comedy is alright in wrestling when it is good, just look at The Rock or in NJPW Yano. The problem is that the WWE seems to he obsessed with comedy even when it is bad and then it isn't bad because it's comedy it is bad because it is bad TV. The crowd isn't laughing at the 4th of July BBQ the B- Team hosted they are bored and frustrated because it sucks.
    You really can't cite the Rock here. He was a once in a lifetime talent that could make almost anything work. A lot of the stuff he was given was terrible, but he was able to make it work in spite of it being objectively bad material. Anyone else and it wouldn't have worked. This same reason also explains why their comedy record is so bad: you've got a handful of exceptional talents like the Rock who made it work on one hand, and 99 people on the other hand who died under the weight of their terrible lines, scripting, and comedy bullshit.

    I can't tell you how many times I've watched wrestling with casual fans only to have them cringe hard at their stuff over the years.

    There's no bigger proof of the success of the older model of organic wrestling promo style, than the UFC, which has completely ripped it off and made hundreds of millions of dollars with it. Believable, natural, organic, gritty stuff works. Overly scripted bullshit monologues with their weird phraseology don't.

    I should add, I'm not averse to comedy in wrestling, it obviously does have a place, and existed in the old days too. I just don't like their particular style of comedy, or the fact that it dominates their shows so thoroughly.
    Last edited by Alan; 10-19-2018 at 04:58 AM.

  31. #151
    Member #25 SirSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,053
    Yeah Rock is probably not a great example but perhaps someone like Jericho who blends comedy and seriousness or even Owens and Elias who can do a bit of both. I guess point is that it can work but should never be the focus.

    And yeah, right now most comedy in the WWE in particular is terrible and a real turn off.



    @Sir_Samuel

  32. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    671
    Here's the thing. Vince and co haven't really changed the humor of a show like in 30 years... So something that plays 20 years ago that worked, won't work as well now and be even more cringe. Not only that, but once they have performers that do it well from a... "these guys can do the timing' but its still bad material are driven into the ground week after week.

    Like for example, Truth is very talented at the comedic performer that they like.. He'll get laughs.. but they will keep doing it over and over again. New Day, same deal. I don't think the Pancakes have worked at all but the brand is/was too strong to really phase them. So the material is even worse and stale than it was in Rock's time

  33. #153
    Administrator Prime Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,159
    While it's also the same sense of humour, it's also a lot more toned down. So when you're hearing less edgy versions of what are essentially the same jokes in the same format for the best part of twenty years, it's no wonder it starts to grate on people.

    I was watching some MMA the other day and parts of the broadcast really did feel like good bits of old Nitro, and I thought if wrestling basically copied this format but then had a wrestling match rather than a shoot fight I'd be really into it. Literally had that exact though the other day, so can definitely agree with that sentiment.

    "The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

  34. #154
    Feeling Minnesota Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    716
    The main page has excerpts from an interview with Santino Marella, and I found the following to be very interesting. Santino discussing the Cobra.

    A Japanese guy once showed me how to do the Cobra in the bar in Saitama, Japan. We were sitting around drinking and he wanted to show me this trick he does with his arm. I thought it was funny at the time, and basically forgot about it for several years. It was like he planted a seed. Then one day it popped back into my head, I used it in a match and the Cobra was born.

    I didn’t realize it at the time, but over the years nobody really kicked out of it! That’s why everybody went nuts at Elimination Chamber. Only Sheamus had ever kicked out of it without the cobra sleeve, and Daniel Bryan was the first to kick out of it with the sleeve.
    If this is true, then the Cobra is on par with the Dudley Death Drop as a finishing move, where only 2 people have kicked out of it. And as silly and stupid as it is, the finishing move, at least "wrestling wise" was extremely effective.

  35. #155
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    671
    For any finisher to get over, it has to be protected. Doesn't matter how silly it is.

  36. #156
    Lamb of LOP anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    186 miles from Sheepster
    Posts
    312
    I would suggestion very few people kicked out of the Worm when it was hit. The fact it hit about 1 times in 100 attempts is by the by. That and the People's elbow were deliciously impractical finishers.

  37. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    671
    The people's Elbow is interesting case. Depending on the match and how big it was, The Rock Bottom felt like the bigger finisher and the people's Elbow as finish was the cherry on top.

  38. #158
    Senior Member LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    435
    I've seen so many kick outs of the People's Elbow to call it a finisher. Like LK3185 said, when he pinned someone with the Elbow, it was almost always after a Rock Bottom. I can only think of once did I see him win with the Elbow and it wasn't following the Rock Bottom, and no one must have liked it because it wasn't done again to the best of my knowledge. Maybe Vince thought it buried someone too much. Hell I forgot the match and who took it.

  39. #159
    Feeling Minnesota Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    716
    Honest question:

    Which would put you to sleep first?

    Anything Bobby Lashley does OR Listening to Randy Orton cut those long, monotone promos?

  40. #160
    Probably the promos from Randy Orton. At least with Lashley, his heel turn is interesting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •