Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    If they ever want to turn her face, just play that video... you could never boo her again. Man. I'm not crying, just allergies.

I saw her mention it while she was in TNA but never to that extent.

The Brain
    Since this thread is a bit dead at the moment and it is general discussion, just gonna insert a classic match review in here!

Owen Hart vs. X Pac 6/28/98 WWF King of the Ring

I'm an enormous fan of both guys, so it should surprise no one that I had a real blast watching this one. You could say that Owen's time had passed by this period, and that Waltman never really had a period to call his own, but you'd never know it from the effort on display here. Waltman's physicality and commitment always impresses me, and does so again here and he uses unorthodox offense to take the fight to Owen. Owen, for his part, is such a master, working perfectly with Waltman to both make him look even better without losing too much of himself. We lost such a great one with Owen. Things devolve into the expected Attitude nonsense as Chyna, Mark Henry, and Vader(!) get involved before the finish, but the actual meat of this match is great, especially considering they had less than 10 minutes to work with. Big props to both guys, in an era where the in ring product was often an afterthought they came out to produce something worthwhile and succeeded fantastically.

Happy Fucking Birthday Eddie. I love you. I miss you. Hope you’re having fun up there...

Being reported that Chelsea Green signed with the WWE.

What exactly is the point of the world cup battle royal? The same as the greatest royal rumble match?

EDIT: Never mind. I don't know why I thought it was a battle royal. I need to pay attention more...
    Last edited by LifeLostInRewind; 10-09-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    Being reported that Chelsea Green signed with the WWE.
    Be interesting to see how that fits with her LU commitments.

https://www.skysports.com/wwe/news/1...ived-wwe-offer

Interesting article and I could see it happening. They’ll throw a shitload of money at him too.

From the main page:

Fox network officials reportedly want SmackDown to show less comedy and take more of a sports direction, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
    ...When even the mainstream people don't want your notion of comedy wrestling 'sports entertainment', you know all that hokey high-school theatre level stuff that is supposedly there to attract the casuals, but in reality is just cringe to everyone not inside the WWE bubble?
    Last edited by Alan; 10-19-2018 at 02:54 AM.

That is pretty awesome too see. Some people the WWE will listen to.

The thing is that comedy is alright in wrestling when it is good, just look at The Rock or in NJPW Yano. The problem is that the WWE seems to he obsessed with comedy even when it is bad and then it isn't bad because it's comedy it is bad because it is bad TV. The crowd isn't laughing at the 4th of July BBQ the B- Team hosted they are bored and frustrated because it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    That is pretty awesome too see. Some people the WWE will listen to.

The thing is that comedy is alright in wrestling when it is good, just look at The Rock or in NJPW Yano. The problem is that the WWE seems to he obsessed with comedy even when it is bad and then it isn't bad because it's comedy it is bad because it is bad TV. The crowd isn't laughing at the 4th of July BBQ the B- Team hosted they are bored and frustrated because it sucks.
    You really can't cite the Rock here. He was a once in a lifetime talent that could make almost anything work. A lot of the stuff he was given was terrible, but he was able to make it work in spite of it being objectively bad material. Anyone else and it wouldn't have worked. This same reason also explains why their comedy record is so bad: you've got a handful of exceptional talents like the Rock who made it work on one hand, and 99 people on the other hand who died under the weight of their terrible lines, scripting, and comedy bullshit.

I can't tell you how many times I've watched wrestling with casual fans only to have them cringe hard at their stuff over the years.

There's no bigger proof of the success of the older model of organic wrestling promo style, than the UFC, which has completely ripped it off and made hundreds of millions of dollars with it. Believable, natural, organic, gritty stuff works. Overly scripted bullshit monologues with their weird phraseology don't.

I should add, I'm not averse to comedy in wrestling, it obviously does have a place, and existed in the old days too. I just don't like their particular style of comedy, or the fact that it dominates their shows so thoroughly.
    Last edited by Alan; 10-19-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Yeah Rock is probably not a great example but perhaps someone like Jericho who blends comedy and seriousness or even Owens and Elias who can do a bit of both. I guess point is that it can work but should never be the focus.

And yeah, right now most comedy in the WWE in particular is terrible and a real turn off.

Here's the thing. Vince and co haven't really changed the humor of a show like in 30 years... So something that plays 20 years ago that worked, won't work as well now and be even more cringe. Not only that, but once they have performers that do it well from a... "these guys can do the timing' but its still bad material are driven into the ground week after week.

Like for example, Truth is very talented at the comedic performer that they like.. He'll get laughs.. but they will keep doing it over and over again. New Day, same deal. I don't think the Pancakes have worked at all but the brand is/was too strong to really phase them. So the material is even worse and stale than it was in Rock's time

While it's also the same sense of humour, it's also a lot more toned down. So when you're hearing less edgy versions of what are essentially the same jokes in the same format for the best part of twenty years, it's no wonder it starts to grate on people.

I was watching some MMA the other day and parts of the broadcast really did feel like good bits of old Nitro, and I thought if wrestling basically copied this format but then had a wrestling match rather than a shoot fight I'd be really into it. Literally had that exact though the other day, so can definitely agree with that sentiment.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The main page has excerpts from an interview with Santino Marella, and I found the following to be very interesting. Santino discussing the Cobra.

A Japanese guy once showed me how to do the Cobra in the bar in Saitama, Japan. We were sitting around drinking and he wanted to show me this trick he does with his arm. I thought it was funny at the time, and basically forgot about it for several years. It was like he planted a seed. Then one day it popped back into my head, I used it in a match and the Cobra was born.

I didn’t realize it at the time, but over the years nobody really kicked out of it! That’s why everybody went nuts at Elimination Chamber. Only Sheamus had ever kicked out of it without the cobra sleeve, and Daniel Bryan was the first to kick out of it with the sleeve.
    If this is true, then the Cobra is on par with the Dudley Death Drop as a finishing move, where only 2 people have kicked out of it. And as silly and stupid as it is, the finishing move, at least "wrestling wise" was extremely effective.

For any finisher to get over, it has to be protected. Doesn't matter how silly it is.

I would suggestion very few people kicked out of the Worm when it was hit. The fact it hit about 1 times in 100 attempts is by the by. That and the People's elbow were deliciously impractical finishers.

The people's Elbow is interesting case. Depending on the match and how big it was, The Rock Bottom felt like the bigger finisher and the people's Elbow as finish was the cherry on top.

I've seen so many kick outs of the People's Elbow to call it a finisher. Like LK3185 said, when he pinned someone with the Elbow, it was almost always after a Rock Bottom. I can only think of once did I see him win with the Elbow and it wasn't following the Rock Bottom, and no one must have liked it because it wasn't done again to the best of my knowledge. Maybe Vince thought it buried someone too much. Hell I forgot the match and who took it.

Honest question:

Which would put you to sleep first?

Anything Bobby Lashley does OR Listening to Randy Orton cut those long, monotone promos?

Probably the promos from Randy Orton. At least with Lashley, his heel turn is interesting.

That Bryan promo was fantastic. Great character work by him. There was a time where people thought he wasn't that good of a promo. Boy has he proved that wrong.

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

No Andrade Cien Almas, No Rusev, No Nakamara, No Sanity. What are we doing here?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    No Andrade Cien Almas, No Rusev, No Nakamara, No Sanity. What are we doing here?
    We needed Miz losing to a jobber and two Iiconics matches instead.

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    If WWE were smart they'd sign that jobber. Eli Everfly is a fucking awesome high flyer on the indies with a lot of potential (he's likely to appear on the fifth season of Lucha Underground should it happen). Good on him for getting a nice moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    I'm fine with the Iiconics, tbh. What was unneeded was that Thanksgiving feast match thing, whatever you want to call it. I get it, it was a fun comedy skit for the children blah blah blah, but honestly, it wasn't necessary.

At least Miz losing to a jobber hits a big storyline point - it has purpose, it wasn't just done with no sense behind it.

And hey, I love the IIconics and would rather watch two of their matches than one Natalya match, for example.

I find it interesting that the WWE still promotes that the first "ladder match" was at Wrestlemania X with HBK vs Razor Ramon. When in fact there were many ladder matches prior to WM10, some including Bret Hart.

Why do you ask am I bringing this up? Well the main page just reported that the "Latest WWE Hidden Gem" is a ladder match between Jerry Blackwell vs. Colonel DeBeers from an AWA event on November 27, 1986. This completely contradicts the WWE's own statements, which we all know that do all the time. (Face palm)

Here is the link if you do not want to look back....

I seem to remember them promoting the Mania 10 match as the first televised ladder match. I could be wrong about that, though.

WWE is more concerned about promotiong their own history than anyone else's. Plus, its a good marketing tool. I wouldn't wrap myself up in it..

Also, Jake Roberts and Big Daddy Ritter (JYD) had a ladder match in like 79' up in Stampede. Something WWE promoted on the ladder match DVD as one of the first ever ladder matches.
    Last edited by LK3185; 12-07-2018 at 06:06 PM.

So with the "Shake up" happening and the McMahons stating that they are not going to stifle the talent, does that imply less scripted promos? God i hope so, the Attitude Era worked so well b/c the wrestlers were able to expand on a basis of ideas, and not speak scripted lines. Let the personalities of the wrestlers shine though.

All it lmplies is less heel authority. There's no behind the scenes change.

If anyone thinks anything different will come of it, I've got some magic beans for sale.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    If anyone thinks anything different will come of it, I've got some magic beans for sale.
    I'll buy those magic beans!!

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    All it lmplies is less heel authority. There's no behind the scenes change.
    That may not be entirely true.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    I'll buy those magic beans!!
    I don't want beans, but do you have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale?

This. Reminder that the 'new Raw' featured:

- two lengthy Baron Corbin segments
    - a Baron Corbin match being announced, that then turned into a handicap match - exactly what Corbin was doing when he was 'killing the show' (not to mention it was just a TLC rehash)
    - a match ending in a no contest due to outside interference
    - long promos to set up matches they could’ve just announced
    - Rollins doing the 'disguise' bit that always happens
    - The Tag Team graveyard continuing, whilst featuring a group of ex-NXT wrestlers that haven't had development opportunities on the main roster, whilst advertising a bunch of new NXT call-ups.
    - Elias vs Bobby Lashley
    - All the women fighting in something that is at least Battle Royal adjacent, if not an actual Battle Royal

They can't even 'reboot Raw' on the Raw that they say they're 'rebooting Raw'.

Raw should literally start with a card that says 'Forget about it - just watch Smackdown'. It's worthless as a program right now.

I think its a bit of harsh critique on Raw... Mainly because I didn't see it as a reboot.. its more like we're going to give you new faces, more opportunities for others instead of just giving rematches.. (hence AOP losing their Title rematch... ) oh and no heel authority figures to hold people down kayfabe wise. You had the revival, a popular NXT team win a tag title chance, A women's gauntlet match that showcased everyone and was quite good (the winner is questionable but given the title match is done on a taped raw who cares?) and Baron Corbin can't go around abusing his power.

This doesn't change the fact that the McMahons missed the point about their creative but its better than what they were doing.

Apparently the WWE has made Kenny Omega a really good offer....

https://www.thesportster.com/news/ww...r1LjDZUsIwxUYw

I read that last week too. Not sure what it really means, though. Not sure Kenny will really enjoy working for WWE, I'd probably rather see him working for AEW with his pals.

Just when we couldn't get enough of Lucha House Party, the main page is reporting that we maybe getting another Lucha stable on Smackdown consisting of Rey, Andrade, and Sin Cara. The report also said that it would be a six man stable, but doesn;t name anyone else, so maybe includes the Lucha House party?

But WHY???