Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

WWE/Fox Rights Deal

So, no one is talking about it here, so I might as well get the ball rolling. Yesterday, news broke of WWE and Fox making a deal for Smackdown where Fox will pay WWE 1 billion dollars over the next 5 years (205M Annually) just for Smackdown. It will reportdly air on the Main Fox Channel, on Fridays, Starting October 2019.

Its not offical offical but no one has come out denying it. It was the big news item yesterday. Raw isn't even signed to a new deal yet.. but NBCU is strongly linked to keeping Raw.

This is a huge deal for WWE that pretty much means they could keep the same booking trends and not lose a single dime over the next 5 years. The revenue will be that insane.

It also means that Friday Night will have to be a live taping and I imagine that will have to change the whole touring schedule. No way did Fox pay for a taped show.
    Last edited by LK3185; 05-22-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Proper Title

The only thing that sucks is that Smackdown will be on Friday. That is one of the worst nights for TV. People go out with friends and family and usually do not sit at home and watch TV.

So is it confirmed it will be a live taping or will it be a pre-record like it used to be?

Also this is going to change Mania weekend too because now it will go:
    Friday: Smackdown
    Saturday: TakeOver
    Sunday: Mania
    Monday: Raw

Does take out HOF though so who knows how they will work that out. Also that is a LOT of wrestling and that doesn't even take into consideration all the indy shows that are on too.

Its not confirmed that it will be live.. but like I said, can't see Fox paying this much for non live content. Especially when they will be promoting it around Football the night before.

Friday is a bad tv night here but you're still gonna have that WWE core audience..Even if it declines, the deal is paid for so it doesn't matter, really.
    Last edited by LK3185; 05-22-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Actually though, it could be a good thing. Fridays use to be big for TV, More people stay in, and I'm sure for that much money if it fails on Friday then you move dates. Fox and WWE have played this game so long that I don't see either side allowing this to fail. It actually sets up the rivalry better with both being on different stations and I feel well open the doors to Raw being in network TV one day.

The Brain
    Yeah, I imagine it will have to be live. There is a big bubble for live sports/entertainment right now because it's harder to move that kind of stuff to streaming (that or the sports industry has just really, really resisted doing so). As scripted series move more and more to the internet, TV is looking to stay alive with this kind of content. I'd guess the bubble is going to burst sometime in the next decade but for now WWE is riding high, and they have an advantage with the Network already being established so they can fall back on that when the bottom eventually drops out of these big TV deals.

I guess some people have taken this deal as a big "gotcha" against people who dislike WWE. I'll say for sure, anyone who thought WWE was in bad shape business wise in the past few years was fooling themselves, so fair play to anyone who has been using that bad take. I don't think it necessarily reflects on the creative quality of the WWE but it definitely reflects on their success of making the brand name more valuable than it's been in a long time. So if you like what WWE has been doing, expect a whole lot more of it for the next 5 years! And if not, there's never been a better time to check other stuff out, it's literally never been easier to do so.

Overall, I'm just loving how wrestling is riding high now across the board. It's not a boom in the traditional sense but everyone seems to be making more money, in and out of WWE, and that's a great thing.

Its kinda of weird because if you are into WWE Business on any level, you'd know that they don't allow themselves to appear in trouble. Not recently anyway. The only trouble spots they've had is overestimating their last rights deal, which pissed stock holders off and getting the network off the ground. Now, people could say creative decisions and lack of star making will effect business long term.. but the next five years, we won't see those effects.

The Brain
    Exactly, and with recent happenings WWE is more motivated than ever to please TV Networks and other sources (foreign governments??) rather than listening directly to fan demand. There's always going to be an overlap with that anyway, but yeah, the motivation to change gears even if they get boos from the live crowd will be low.

I do think Fox paying WWE a Billion dollars will come with some expectation though. That doesn't mean the quality of the product will be better though. It just will make the TV product even more important...Maybe less actual things happen at the Network events.

The Brain
    I had that thought too, but honestly they have a billion extra dollars now, so they can throw even more money into the Network if they want to, so I'm hoping it means the opposite as far as the Network continuing to get better is concerned.

Maybe they can double the size of the division that cleans up old footage and gets it posted!

Use the extra resources to broadcast house shows. We don't need production, just a fixed camera.

The Brain
    I always thought that was a damn good idea, and it doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult. Just bonus content for the true hardcores who want to watch even more.

The only rationale I can think against it is it could cut down on live house show attendance, but that doesn't hold much water to me since being there live is a totally different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I guess some people have taken this deal as a big "gotcha" against people who dislike WWE. I'll say for sure, anyone who thought WWE was in bad shape business wise in the past few years was fooling themselves, so fair play to anyone who has been using that bad take. I don't think it necessarily reflects on the creative quality of the WWE but it definitely reflects on their success of making the brand name more valuable than it's been in a long time.
    This struck me as extremely true. While the creative has been pretty bland from a week on week perspective (outside of a few bright points) I'd actually suggest that brand WWE has almost never been in a stronger position, at least not since the 80s.

Wrestlemania is slowly becoming a SuperBowlesq institution that gets tons of mainstream coverage and more views than ever, guys like The Rock and now Cena are genuine breakout stars who are identified as ex-WWE and the company has a great name from all te charity work they do.

The Brain
    Right, it's not mainstream like it was in it's biggest booms, but it's more mainstream adjacent, and maybe it's just me but it does seem like there's less of a knee jerk "that's stupid" vibe than in the past.

Like it or not, a lot of that is probably because of the big PG push of the past decade. Some of the clownish inappropriate characters were fun, but they were sure was hard to explain to outsiders. The downside is now there's often not much to explain at all, because most guys are more than a little generic these days. But it created a baseline for the brand which they're now profiting from.

I think what they have done, is tried to make everyone more or less from the same mold and not separate the middle class from the top as much.. In doing so, they created a stronger brand to market, adding more equality with the women has defintely helped because in the Attitude era, they were sex objects... but also, most characters have the same, bland quality. The TV product doesn't take risks and things like Lashley's sister seg stand out like a sore thumb.. in a bad way.

Don't undersell people w/ kids who are home on a Friday night, especially lower income, since it is on free TV.

This was probably an inside deal, w/ the Linda/Trump/Murdoch connection, and may very well be a precursor to an XFL partnership.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    I think what they have done, is tried to make everyone more or less from the same mold and not separate the middle class from the top as much.. In doing so, they created a stronger brand to market, adding more equality with the women has defintely helped because in the Attitude era, they were sex objects... but also, most characters have the same, bland quality. The TV product doesn't take risks and things like Lashley's sister seg stand out like a sore thumb.. in a bad way.
    Making the broads sex objects led to good money/promotion from Playboy and some of their highest selling magazines ever. (Think I still have Sable, Torrie and Maria P-boys in the attic, along w/ Beulah in Cheri) Granted, in today's world it is VividCeleb or don't even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkmala View Post
    Making the broads sex objects led to good money/promotion from Playboy and some of their highest selling magazines ever. (Think I still have Sable, Torrie and Maria P-boys in the attic, along w/ Beulah in Cheri) Granted, in today's world it is VividCeleb or don't even bother.
    but its not a mainstream appeal is what WWE is going for now. Better or worse, that's what the company is striving for. Also, I don't think that would work in today's climate.

Not a chance that would fly today.

What they have done is very smart, the have made the company a bigger deal than any of the wrestlers in it which theoretically means they can ride out big names leaving, crappy creative, stars misbehaving, etc much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkmala View Post
    You forgot Chyna's issue. I think that is still one of the all time highest grossing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Not a chance that would fly today.

What they have done is very smart, the have made the company a bigger deal than any of the wrestlers in it which theoretically means they can ride out big names leaving, crappy creative, stars misbehaving, etc much better.
    It wouldn't. Besides that people do not need to pose for Playboy anymore as all they do is "leak" a tape or pics and you become a World Wide star. *cough* Kim Kardashian *cough*. The WWE has distanced itself so far from the Attitude Era that it is almost comical when you look back at it. I mean it is almost 20 years since the AE ended (2001?)

The WWE is clearly trying to model the 1980s type of product, where the bulk is aimed at the kids, but with edgier themes and "reality" type of scripting for the older fan. But as a whole, the WWE is still trying to recreate the Superhero type of stars. Hogan, Cena, and now Reigns.

The Brain
    I wish we had the larger than life characters/stories of the 80s today. Combine that with the wrestlers of today and you've potentially got an all time great product.

I feel like the "low income fanbase" trope is less prevalent these days, but I'm not sure. If you're interested in that sort of thing, it'll be telling to see what kind of ads they sell when Smackdown moves over next year.

So, Word going around is that Io Shirai is officially coming into WWE next month. In other words, they get her a year later for the second woman's tourney.

Huge blow to Stardom. They're losing both Io and potentially Toni Storm as well.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    As a Stardom fan I'd be very bummed if she does go. I thought she had medical stuff they wouldn't sign off on? Interesting if they've changed their position.

On the plus side, Asuka vs. Io Shira would probably blow up the world if it happened right now, so that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan
    As a Stardom fan I'd be very bummed if she does go. I thought she had medical stuff they wouldn't sign off on? Interesting if they've changed their position.

On the plus side, Asuka vs. Io Shira would probably blow up the world if it happened right now, so that's pretty cool.
    Been reading about Shirai but never seen any of her matches so I look forward to seeing her in a WWE ring.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

The Brain
    If you want to get a jump on her, this was one of my favorite matches from her last year:

Ah. Good ole Viper! A firm favourite of mine in ICW. she's got that belt collector gimmick going on right now, and is doing wonders as the babyface champion of ICW. I loved her in the MYC last year and really hope she's in again this year.
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

The Brain
    Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Viper. I'm not sure if she's part of this latest talent raid WWE is on but if so, I wish her nothing but the best in WWE. Otherwise I'm definitely going to be following her pretty much wherever she goes.

I'm actually a little sad that they didn't pick her up last year. She can work, she can move really well and she doesn't have the typical body type which makes her stand out.

Hopefully she's back this year.

The Brain
    I think she'd have been a much better fit for the Alexa/Nia storyline they just did too.

Maybe it's because Nia hasn't had that "corporate" training in front of the cameras, and that the struggles she may have faced in the business due to her size, that her story could have felt more organic.

I think that what they've done with Nia however has opened some doors, and it could mean Viper could become really popular under the WWE umbrella.

I really enjoyed her match with I believe Toni Storm (?) in the MYC.

The Brain
    Yeah, I thought Piper was a standout in the MYC in general. Her match with Serena was my favorite.

I think the main issue with Nia is she's not a great actor and she's not that popular because she's viewed as a bad wrestler. Could have definitely worked better with someone else, because it was a great story and it did get over somewhat even with the obstacles in the way.

I am making an early prediction.....Charlotte Wins the Royal Rumble and challenges the Champ Rousey.

Not that bold as weall figured that we will get Charlotte/Rousey at Mania, but the boldness is that Rousey is NOT the challenger.

I would be down with Charlotte winning the Rumble, butbso far I am nowhere bear sold on Rousey being champion. I know there are many months to go, but I've yet to see anything barring her fun shenanigans match at Mania to convince me otherwise at the moment.

The Brain
    All I've seen from her was the 'Mania performance, but I loved it. Excited to see what she can do with a year of experience under her belt, champion or not.

Add Deonna Purrazzo to the list of signees.

Quick recap of this month:

Kieth Lee
    Toni Storm
    Io Shirai
    Deonna Purrazzo

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    I never got the hype with Purrazzo, even after seeing her live, but I know some people are very excited about her.

I think she's really good techicnally but will need to develop her character a bit more. Hoping Mia Yim gets signed

The Brain
    That'd be a very smart signing for them, I think. She brings a lot to the table.

Excited to see Toni Storm on my screen more. Not a massive fan of her presentation, but from what I have seen of her, she's a very sound wrestler.

Where are the Authors of Pain?