Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chop View Post
    How big of a jump is that from AAA usual numbers?
    Their highest recorded number since joining Azteca 7 earlier this year was 4.4 million, which had occurred three times (April 5th, March 8th and February 15th). There's a rumor their debut episode did over 5 million viewers, but the info has never been released so no one knows for sure. Overall the viewership generally stays between 3.5 to 4.4 million, so this past week going to 5.4 million is a big deal. Some of it is definitely the work of Pentagon and Fenix (who are draws in Mexico), some of it is Psycho Clown (AAA's ace who had a cage match featured earlier in the show), some of it is the fact it took place on a holiday when everyone was home and yes, some of it is because of the Bucks. The match featuring the Bucks that was shown this past week was taped on March 16th (for AAA's big Rey de Reyes show, another factor in the rating being high), so people knew this was going to be shown on TV. It wasn't the primary factor, but it definitely didn't hurt and it'll definitely help the Bucks going forward when they return to Mexico.

Really it's just more great news for AAA, which was already getting great news because, again, the ratings are generally between 3.5 and 4.4 million each week. And while Azteca 7 is a huge network in Mexico, it's only in about 44.6 million homes, nearly 50 million fewer homes than RAW is here in the US. In other words, AAA is drawing higher ratings than RAW and Smackdown each week (and this past week did more than both shows combined) despite being in a country with a lower population than the US and being on a station in fewer total homes. AAA is, as we live and breath, the most watched wrestling promotion in North America. Coach is definitely right that them being based in Mexico (which is crazy for lucha libre) helps but it's still pretty fucking wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Their highest recorded number since joining Azteca 7 earlier this year was 4.4 million, which had occurred three times (April 5th, March 8th and February 15th). There's a rumor their debut episode did over 5 million viewers, but the info has never been released so no one knows for sure. Overall the viewership generally stays between 3.5 to 4.4 million, so this past week going to 5.4 million is a big deal. Some of it is definitely the work of Pentagon and Fenix (who are draws in Mexico), some of it is Psycho Clown (AAA's ace who had a cage match featured earlier in the show), some of it is the fact it took place on a holiday when everyone was home and yes, some of it is because of the Bucks. The match featuring the Bucks that was shown this past week was taped on March 16th (for AAA's big Rey de Reyes show, another factor in the rating being high), so people knew this was going to be shown on TV. It wasn't the primary factor, but it definitely didn't hurt and it'll definitely help the Bucks going forward when they return to Mexico.

Really it's just more great news for AAA, which was already getting great news because, again, the ratings are generally between 3.5 and 4.4 million each week. And while Azteca 7 is a huge network in Mexico, it's only in about 44.6 million homes, nearly 50 million fewer homes than RAW is here in the US. In other words, AAA is drawing higher ratings than RAW and Smackdown each week (and this past week did more than both shows combined) despite being in a country with a lower population than the US and being on a station in fewer total homes. AAA is, as we live and breath, the most watched wrestling promotion in North America. Coach is definitely right that them being based in Mexico (which is crazy for lucha libre) helps but it's still pretty fucking wild.
    AAA was all over everything last time I was in Mexico. Masks in store windows and all over roadside markets, I bought a hand made ring that was all decorated in AAA stuff. This wasn't even kitschy resort bullshit, this was in a major city. Wrestling is to Mexico as hockey is to Canada (hockey is regularly the most watched thing on TV in Canada averaging 1.8 million viewers in a country of 30 million people), it's a part of the culture. And AAA is the major brand (although I got a big kick out of watching CMLL on TV).

I think that's also why fans there are so forgiving of sub-par quality lucha. Like, the 16-21 hockey team here will put 5,000 people into an arena and while it's good hockey it's decidedly not professional level hockey. But it's the sport we were raised on so we're happy to go and buy a ticket and support as these guys develop even if it's not NHL level.

TV also isn't great in Mexico. Last time I was there I didn't have a satellite with 16 billion channels available, but even on digital cable my options were shitty stuff, more shitty stuff, Spanish dubs of The Simpsons, infomercials and wrestling. Yes it's a smaller population, but it's a major TV network with less competition in the market. For the record, I found what I can only assume is Mexican MTV and Spanish music videos are my favourite thing.

It's HUGE for AAA and I am sincerely glad that they're doing big business in Mexico and making in-roads into the US again, but it's not happening in a vacuum. Like I said, I hope we can get to that 60s/70s/80s level of multiple promotions filling arenas several times per week.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Just read that instead of granting Luke Harper's release, instead WWE found a way to keep him even longer. Pretty shitty if true.
    That's shitty. He needs to not drop it. He needs to push this publicly. It's like I said around Sasha, Harper has the power here. They can tell him to show up to TV and lose to Kalisto, and as long as he shows up and loses to Kalisto he's done the job he's contracted to do. But he's on live TV. If he stinks up the joint, phones it in or starts doing ridiculous high spots and flips with Kalisto, what are they going to do? If they won't let you quit, force them to fire you.

I hate to interrupt the Wrestlemania finish discussion but it appears we have another WWE departure. Dean Malenko has apparently quit WWE.

Everything is fine.gif

The Brain
    Any word on why Malenko left?

Justin Barrasso, Sean Ross Sapp and Ryan Satin all said that Malenko quit. PWInsider is saying it's unclear if he quit or was just let go as part of the purge of backstage guys being replaced by newer blood. That's the best I can give you.

Saw an interesting point on twitter that WWE might be just fine with certain backstage people quitting because the company is going to want to be more Fox Corporate friendly and wrestling centric agents don't fit that mold.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Saw an interesting point on twitter that WWE might be just fine with certain backstage people quitting because the company is going to want to be more Fox Corporate friendly and wrestling centric agents don't fit that mold.

Just a thought.
    But I've heard Fox wants WWE to act like a sport, which would be the strength of a Malenko. I wouldn't get too worried until Finley is gone with that rumor though. I could just see Malenko thinking it's time to move on. It happens after 20 years at the same company.

With that said, it's weird, because when I was driving to work on Monday I was thinking about Malenko in WWE. I was thinking just how much old school Vince McMahon still runs WWE. If you think about it, he always has legitimate tough guys around him. I'm sure Nailz and getting punched by Bret are always on his mind. But I was thinking of how out of place a Malenko or a Finley must be in the current WWE structure, but if you look at Vince he always has a "heavy" around him at all times. Think Jerry Brisco who was a legit shooter. Finley and Malenko (especially Finley) are both legit tough guys, but I was thinking, what role do they serve anymore in the modern WWE? I know Finley works with the women, and Malenko the smaller wrestlers, but really, moving forward, they both seem out of place back stage.

Transgender Terror
    Maybe Malenko couldn't cut the mustard any more?

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Maybe Malenko couldn't cut the mustard any more?

Transgender Terror
    YES! Someone caught the reference!

The latest is that Malenko is leaving wrestling period and retiring home to his family.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    The latest is that Malenko is leaving wrestling period and retiring home to his family.
    I wouldn't be surprised. He's almost 60. Everyone is entitled to ride off in the sunset and leave on their own terms.

Already confirmed for Starrcast, they must have been straight on the phone.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

He’s also apparently already signed in for Starrcast, as well.

And PWInsider is now also saying, in addition to Barrasso, Satin and Sean Ross Sapp, that Malenko quit as opposed to just being let go. Perhaps he is going to retire and go spend time with his family, but if that were the case I'm not sure why the stories would be framed as him quitting.

Transgender Terror
    Rumor is he also couldn't cut the ketchup.

My guess? Catering was Kosher enough.

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

So glad to see the WWE putting the Women's tag titles on the IIconics and keeping them off TV. Way to make those titles relevant. With the WWE pushing Mandy/Sonya and Asuka/Sane, why not put the titles on one of those two to feud over the belts rather than having them being completely wasted on the terrible IIconics?

Because the IIconics are better than them both, loser.

Transgender Terror
    Obviously. They rule.

Powder is just jealous cause he’s not Iconic

Transgender Terror
    Nor IIconic.

The only thing I'm jealous about is that Sonya Deville is gay, and I envy all of her girlfriends, because it can never be me.

It could be if you went the route of TO

Transgender Terror
    Don't be a hater, Powder.

Not a hater, just jealous...but

menadi....you do have a point....

Can I just say that I identify as female for the hook up purposes?

Transgender Terror
    Don't be a hater, I said. That is straight up haterism right there.

TO...you should know that there is no haterism in me. We did have some conversations....

But I am sorry if I offended you. Seriously.

Transgender Terror
    I dock you 20 hater points.

It's okay, Iken has lost ike 50,000 by now

There was a case in the UK, not so long ago, about a lady who hoodwinked another lady into some sexy sex times but pretended they were a man the whole time. Apparently the hoodwinked lady had to wear a blindfold at all times so they wouldn't see she was a woman.

Gayle Newland: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...riend-into-sex

She persuaded the student to wear a blindfold whenever they met, and wore a large strap-on prosthetic penis in order to dupe the woman into having penetrative sex. The jury heard that the complainant not only wore the blindfold during sex but also for at least 100 hours when the pair were just hanging out – going for drives, sunbathing and even “watching” films together.
    Sorry, this has veered wildly off topic.

How about Daniel Bryan being the best thing for the tag team division, huh?

But speaking of jokes and speaking of the tag team division, think of The Usos, right? What were they doing on RAW last night? Joking around as if the tag team division is some sort of joke. And what about Heavy Machinery? Joking around as if the tag team division is some sort of joke. And what about The New Day? Joking around like being the tag team champions is some sort of joke.

You know, they talk about a women’s evolution, about women main eventing WrestleMania. Do you know who’s never talked about main eventing WrestleMania? It’s the tag team division and do you know why? Because for years, they’ve been led by jokers like The New Day, like The Usos, like Heavy Machinery, and they go out there and they do Thanksgiving Turkey Fights, and they’ll do Halloween Contests. Do you know what? We are not those kind of tag team champions and speaking of which, do you know what? There’s going to be a tag team evolution and this isn’t going to be one dictated to us by The McMahons, no.

This is going to be self-led, a self-led tag team revolution because Kofi Kingston, The New Day, they never aspired to that, they never aspired to that level, neither did The Usos. They were content with just being great tag teams. We’re not content to just be great, we are going to be the greatest tag team of all time. We are going to main event WrestleMania as Tag Team Champions and we are going to aspire higher, and nobody, nobody is going to stop The Planet’s Tag Team Champions.
    I'm really into he and Rowan being Smackdown tag champs.

https://lordsofpain.net/what-luke-ha...d-in-november/

It's kinda hard not to call WWE for being petty. If they're going to keep him locked into his contract, they should at least let him do something, like being in a program with Bray.

Nope, the WWE is and always will be petty.

I get that the WWE takes the Saudi shows because of the boatload of money that they get paid, but then why do they also allow them to book the shows?

The three matches that have been reported so far are:

HHH vs Orton (yawn)
    Goldberg vs The Undertaker (yawn again)
    50 man Battle Royal (triple yawn)

Why doesn't the WWE use this PPV/Network event to further their own plots? The WWE should dictate the matches, not the Saudis.

I know that money talks, but isn't the USA Network kind of pissed at the ratings? if so, that is a bigger contract than the Saudi show, so why not fix your weekly product to get better ratings to make more money?
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 02:24 PM.

You're asking for different things....

The Saudi show is filler and one you can't really book storyline heavy, because some talent might not want to go like last year, the women can't go and its on at a weird time which is a disservice to the majority of your fans.

Booking the weekly product has zero to do with the Saudi show.

I skipped it last year and i will skip it again.

Transgender Terror
    Or be like me and skip everything on the Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Just wait until Orton unites the two top titles. You'll be back. Cult, too.

II think you mispelled "T.O."

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Just wait until Orton unites the two top titles. You'll be back. Cult, too.

There's only three things that'll get me to watch an episode of anything WWE related again; WWE finding the tape for the AAA classic Mascara Sagrada vs. Black Cat, Gran Metalik winning the WWE Championship and the signing of Western Canadian wrestling legend Sydney Steele. No dice otherwise.

Do all three have to happen, or just one of the three?