Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Results 1,041 to 1,049 of 1049
    It is a case of what's too scripted. I feel many guys have the ability of charisma to deliver something like you're describing, but I wouldn't but Seth in that category. He nailed his promo yesterday, but it also didn't feel off the cuff at all. Kevin Owens on the other hand I think could interact with the interviewer like Rock did, and make it work (though 3 minutes seems excessive).

I feel like so much of modern wrestling, WWE, AEW, indies, everywhere, feels so "scripted".

We watched Rock vs Austin from WM19 last night on YouTube, and it holds up so well. That match could go on PPV next week and it would fit in. But it feels so much more off the cuff than any matches I see on a show today. It doesn't feel like two guys running spots, it feels like a fight.

It feels so much more like two bad ass guys that you wouldn't want to mess with having a fight that each wants to win than anything I see on TV these days. I could count on one hand the number of guys on the WWE roster that I feel the average person in the crowd couldn't beat up if they had to.

I think you pointed out the fact that wrestling rarely looks like a fight anymore, and I can't help but notice it everywhere.

I've caught myself in a loop of WWF 1986 shows (torrented everything like SuperStars, Wrestling Challenge, plus what's on the Network like Prime Time, TNT, and the Saturday Night's Main Events). Even bland jobber matches like Barry O vs Freddie Laine have more of a fight look than almost anything seen today. I feel like it's only legends that wrestle to make it look like a fight. I'm not sure if WWE saves that for just the main event or not. I feel Roman accomplishes that better than most, while Seth Rollins looks like cirque de soleil.

I find that even on mid level indy cards, everyone is trying to make things look so fluid and perfect -- it's that fight scene vs real fight argument -- that it doesn't look like a fight. Even with the best of the best.

Take that Rock vs Austin match at XIX. There's points in there where it's not "pretty", and those points are what looks real. There's time where one of them has to force the other to be where they want them, and while they're working together they aren't doing so to the extent that it looks like Austin's doing the actual work when Rock is trying to put him somewhere.

It doesn't feel like there are spots. Obviously, there's stuff they talked out in advance. But the spots aren't move, move, move, move. It's more like Austin sells into Rock's Stunner. Then Rock is taking his time, and Austin has a chance to recover and hit a Rock Bottom. That's a "spot" that would have been discussed in the back, but there's breathing room within it that it doesn't feel planned.

They're trying for emotion, not style points.

So who are those vignettes for on NXT?

Didn't they answer that by the end of the show?

Killer Kross coming in at the top of the NXT card is an absolutely dope ass move. It's going to rock to see him tie it up with these guys, and from what I recall of his work he's a very different type of wrestler to the folk that the NXT audience is used to. Going to be interesting to see how he gels with the guys that are there already.

I know they're completely different products, but I find it a bit weird that in this current situation Raw is out here having three matches in it's three hour run time but NXT is doing 7 in two hours. Raw did a lot of story building segments, obviously, but NXT had them in too. For me, NXT last night used their time and the situation a lot better than Raw has done. I don't know if that's due to having had a week off to plan things out a bit better, or whether it's just the two brands having a very different approach to things.

I think it's because NXT can afford to be a bit more experimental,while Raw cannot. Obviously, Raw and Smackdown would benefit from a different and fresh approach on a lot of aspects, but NXT has always been the brand where WWE experiments. If they like the NXT result, then we might see it on Raw or SD

I don't think you're wrong there - and I guess as well there's a sense of keeping people a bit more distanced on Raw during this period. It always happens in the run up to Mania, in fairness, they reduce the ring time and build the story through other methods, which I always assumed was to try and make sure people don't get an injury into Mania which turns things upside down. Whereas NXT is less dependent on the whole of the roster, and without a Takeover to now deliver they can probably work a bit more in the ring.

I'm really excited for Gargno/Ciampa. While I think the stipulation is a little bit weird - mostly because it's hard to enforce the 'you must never fight again' thing unless you're going to properly split the two up properly, over rosters or something, so I'd have thought a 'loser leaves NXT' match might have worked better - the whole set up of them being elsewhere with just a ring and a ref is going to be quite something.

It'll be interesting to see how NXT does in terms of viewership going forward as well. They're essentially going to start having Takeover matches on weekly TV from next week (as I'm pretty sure Dijakovic/Lee/Priest was planned for Tampa Bay). Most likely there's a month or so where they can spread these matches out, plus add a bit of undercard stuff to them. Should be a really strong month for them. I figure something like Gargano/Ciampa might even have an hour dedicated to it, as much as anything to tell the story around the whole 'warehouse in the middle of nowhere' thing.