Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Psh; you think this is spamming/hijacking a thread? Back in the glory days of this place, when Powder was just a young lad dreaming of WWE pulling of the wrestling equivalent of the Superman: Red Son comic, T.O., myself and the late PEN15 used to do gif threads when the shows sucked. Then Pen died and went to civilization, T.O. went off to roam the world in the Steinerbot and thus here we are.
    He was a great hero. Who knows where he went or if he will ever return. All we can do is just hope.
    I do feel more civilized. (Thanks Right Guard/Charles Barkley)
    I doubt I'll be GIFing anytime though. One lesson I've learned since I was last here is to stay off boards and wrestling news sites while watching the shows. I'll enjoy them much more without being distracted or surrounded by the online negativity.

I feel that the main roster shows had some minor changes this week. Things moved faster overall. The opening Raw segment was the best example of it. Instead of the standard 20 minute promo, lots of people were involved, and it moved at a quick paced into the first match. I really enjoyed that. The show didn't keep that pace or quality, unfortunately, but it woke me up as a viewer to pay more attention right from the credits. Miz had the good promo about Shane on SD also that reflected many online complaints.

I wouldn't say either show was good, but they no longer below average. Some highlights, some downfalls, but it averaged out to a standard show. That's oddly an improvement in 2019.

So.......anyone else find this segment from smackdown kind of odd?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81O8s16iMpU&t=0s

Not sure what the purpose was to ask Benjamin who is walking away with the WWE title at Extreme rules. Seeing as how he was billed as Lesner's buddy (and I believe he is irl as well), does this foreshadow a Lesner cash in at Extreme rules?

I hope there's a goal to these small appearances we are seeing from the roster we don't see often. I liked Cedric's work in the main event on Monday, but it'll mean nothing if he doesn't have a match next week. Shelton has never been known for his acting or charisma, so I am not sure what to think of this example. Bray Wyatt seemed to be on track for something, but not sure where it's going now.

Using these stars and getting fans to care is always a good thing. But hopefully they know what to do with them after these random appearances.

Just got done with Extreme Rules.

Sigh.

(Everything was good, it was one of the better main roster PPVs of the year to date. Just the very ending illicits that response from me.)

Transgender Terror
    Not even tacos can cure that harsh buzz.

Seth as champion with current roster = meh
    Brock as champion with current roster = ok, now I'm excited

That's an interesting one, Pen - I'd agree if last night had been Brock cashing in on Kofi and brand switching, as I think there's a lot of interesting bouts for him in the main event there. But on Raw I feel like we've kind of seen everything he has against his main challengers, whether it be Rollins, Braun, or...well, who else have you got?

Be interested to see a list of who you'd be interested in seeing square off against Brock that's a realistic option.

You know, if there was one match that really popped for me last night, it was Black Vs Cesaro. Smart limb work, snug striking, and both guys looked impressive.

Battle Royal announced for Raw tonight to determine Brock's challenger

Rollins, Reigns, Corbin, Cesaro, Braun, Lashley, Mysterio, Cesaro, Bryan, Orton and Big E

I look at that list and if it's not Seth, I'm fearing it may be Rey.

Tweet was then deleted.

TBH, if that's still the match, I'd be cool with Cesaro, Lashley, Bryan or Big E

Transgender Terror
    Orton. That would get me to sign back up.

You lie

Transgender Terror
    Only one way to find out...

Wyatt finally appears. Crowd dug it.

The Fiend vs. The Demon

EDIT: “This is awful” chant during this women’s elimination match, especially when the focus was on Nattie. She sucks the fun out of everything. Who does Natalya have pictures of to keep getting pushes?
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 07-15-2019 at 10:15 PM.

I don't blame the booing of that women's 4 way. Alexa is the only character deserving of a spot, but doesn't actually deserve another title shot. The other 3 haven't had proper focus to take them seriously for the women's main event of the 2nd biggest show of the year.

That said, judging by the rest of the announced card, and rumored feuds, I don't think the goal is to blow up SummerSlam into the second biggest show of the year, but just a solid show. SummerSlam has often been WWE's "workrate" event of the year, focusing more on top quality matches, and Becky vs Natalya was the best option out of all involved for that. Now, if they would have had Sasha return, it would be a different story. But the womens division on Raw needs secondary feuds. Alexa and Nikki seems to be going somewhere, but no one other than Lacey and Becky are really over. SD has done a better job overall, even if it isn't consistent with the tag titles, and then Sonia/Mandy vs Ember Moon. Plus Charlotte can be moved into any program at any point, and add credibility to it. Raw is the brand suffering the most for Women.

The other stuff, Rollins vs Lesnar isn't very exciting as a draw. But I love Brock's style, and like most underdog stories, Rollins as the challenger is much more exciting than Seth as champion. So I'm sure come bell time in Toronto, I'll be excited. I just don't think I'll care much until then.

I really liked how WWE setup this week's Raw overall. The Main Event was well promoted all night long, and was a match that can draw viewers to stick around. They maximized a lot of segments and TV time to get a lot done. I was most impressed by the 6 man tag with the 2 out of 3 falls stip in the first hour. No one looked bad losing or taking a fall, they pushed several feuds (AJ vs Ricochet, and Revival vs Usos), used Robert Roode in a smart way without hurting him despite him not being involved in any actual story, and gave us arguably the match of the night.

Balor vs Wyatt works for me. If Finn is taking some time off, Wyatt getting the win to send him off is as good as it gets. And Bray looked to be in fantastic shape.

I loved the follow up for Cedric Alexander. He won't win this feud with Drew, but he'll gain some experience and footing with the audience before Drew wins decisively in the end. Not sure what the plan is for them come SummerSlam. I was guessing Drew vs Undertaker, but apparently that's not the case. Cedric will likely be in a preshow match if he makes the card, but that's still a good position for him so new and so small compared to the majority of the roster. Cedric vs Mike Kanellis for example.

Tag teams have been getting a decent focus. Viking Raiders got the squash, The Club could focus on the titles and be credible thanks to being AJ's heavies, and then Revival vs Usos is going well as discussed. I liked how the commentary has made a story of Revival living outside their means now that they wear gold. it's an interesting twist to some guys who had the chops to do character work, but not characters to work with. This is a nice layer to their standard heel characters.

And outside the main event, there wasn't a lot of cross branded storytelling. Finn vs Wyatt might be a feud crossing both brands, but if Bray ends up on SD tomorrow and the feud stays there, then there wouldn't be any feud crossing brands at this point.

Really good Raw.

Obviously it’s a feel-good moment for the crowd the way it happened but it’s funny everyone is allowed to beat Mysterio in minutes except for Sami.

It's sad how Sami is being booked, tbh.

Montreal born and bred. There is no more overrated talent than Sami Zayn. He looks like a wimp, he doesn't have a threatening in ring style, and plays a terrible babyface because he's not likable. As a heel, I can't take him seriously.

That's interesting. I've always liked Sami as a babyface, and really enjoyed his work in that role when on NXT.

In ring, I'm not sure on him - find him a great storyteller, but not sure he has a real snap to his movements. He sells well, though, always has done. Probably all that time under the mask.

Off that topic, but is this not one of the saddest and yet most on the nose images when thinking about the recent state of WWE? Might just be me, though.

Last edited by Oliver; 07-23-2019 at 11:26 AM.

I'm really glad they revisited their previous feud because I know that's been a sore spot for Kofi fans (and fans who wanted new stars made). It's a great story they are telling.

You know, I wouldn't be opposed to Orton beating Kofi at SummerSlam to have Kofi chase again. KofiMania has taken a dip, but if they could reignite that with Orton I'd be in.

Orton can go on about how he was right the entire time, Kofi wasn't on his level and blah, blah, blah. Kofi can go home for a month or so to hang out with his kids and send them back to school, and then they can bring him back after a month of "training" to win a match at the October PPV and go against Orton at Survivor Series. If you want, you could drag it out with a Team New Day vs Team Orton at SS and end the year with Kofi winning the title back at TLC.

Transgender Terror
    I still take an eerie sense of pride in being g in the building for that STUPID STUPID STUPID spot.

What was I doing again that was STUPID STUPID STUPID?!

Transgender Terror
    Talking with me on the twitter, probably.

OK, so the Dominick and Rey stuff has be intrigued. Has Dominick had any wrestling training, do people know?

I'm assuming they can't have him as El Hijo de Rey Mysterio, given that name's taken, but it's a curious thing to do, bring Dominick in like this.

Maybe they call him El Hijo de Eddie Guerrero...

Having caught up this morning, I've got to say this week's Raw was one of the best recent episodes. I've only watched the last 2/3, granted, but everything felt purposeful, lots of wrestling, and stuff happened that really mattered.

Not in favour of the Strollins team winning the tag belts at all, especially not from The Revival, but hey - the greatest tag team in the World got to headline Raw. That feels pretty significant.

This is just going to lead to a predictable heel turn by either Rollins or Strowman eventually, more than likely Strowman.

I enjoy "thrown together" teams for the purpose of a short term division transition. This didn't seem like the right time for that. The OC are doing great in their roles, so it seems strange to switch gears. That said, with Clash of Champions coming up, this reign won't last long. Either the purpose was to have a dual champion to create an angle for that PPV, or to cut down one match from the card, or the titles will end up back around the waist of an established tag team before the PPV. If it's Gallows and Anderson who win the titles back, this title change will end up being a very silly move in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    OK, so the Dominick and Rey stuff has be intrigued. Has Dominick had any wrestling training, do people know?
    He finished training with Lance back in December. I don't think he's had a match yet.

Complete sidenote, COACH, I was in Dartmouth/Cole Harbour on vacation of the Maritimes (I proposed on a rock in the middle of the ocean in Newfoundland) just weeks before your Doolittle's match. I wish I could have made it to see you perform.

Back on topic, from your knowledge of the wrestling in Western Canada, what is your opinion of the Lance Storm trained talent and his school?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    He finished training with Lance back in December. I don't think he's had a match yet.
    I'm fortunate enough to know a little bit about this as some of the people I work with at Lucha Central are close with Mysterio. Dominik actually started training with Rey, Konnan and I think even Rey Mysterio Sr. first before going to train with Lance. He has not wrestled a match, though I do know WWE wants him to wrestle by 2020; I'm not sure why that soon unless they're just worried Rey is going to leave in April (which is a possibility but then again everything is a possibility these days). As far as his progress, I was told just the other day that him wrestling any time soon is probably not a good idea, but of course I haven't seen the kid for myself. I would obviously tread carefully though and if you're going to do a match with him, make sure he's heavily protected in tag team action. Ideally though WWE should wait another year for him to train more at the PC or wherever, and then go with the match.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    Complete sidenote, COACH, I was in Dartmouth/Cole Harbour on vacation of the Maritimes (I proposed on a rock in the middle of the ocean in Newfoundland) just weeks before your Doolittle's match. I wish I could have made it to see you perform.

Back on topic, from your knowledge of the wrestling in Western Canada, what is your opinion of the Lance Storm trained talent and his school?
    Congratulations man! It's too bad that didn't line up to make it happen.

Storm's kids come out green. That's not a bad thing, it's to be expected, but in my opinion they're no better or worse in most cases than any other green kids.

They do a lot of grunt work for a promotion that I work with. I saw them in a "Storm Class Battle Royal" and out of the 16 or so kids in that class, I only saw anything in two or so of them and thought that their striking was garbage.

My girlfriend actually did Storm's camp a few years ago before training with someone else afterward. She speaks highly of it and him.

But there are two issues with it in my mind. The first is that it's kind of like a "puppy mill" for wrestling. It's a 12 week program that moves at the pace that it moves, whether you've fully grasped the concept that was being taught or not because there's only so much time. If you get hurt and have to miss a few days, you've missed them and they don't go back because they're on a timeline.

The second is that because he's taken your money and isn't going to refund it, there's not really a "weeding out". He'll tell you point blank that the business isn't for you and you should quit, but he can't really prevent you from keeping on trying -- you've paid your money.

From what I've heard from people that went through the class after they'd had a substantial amount of experience, they say that they took more out of it and picked up more small nuances from Storm than they ever would have if they didn't have that experience.

I think that if WWE could get him, he'd be an incredible trainer at the PC for those who have had experience coming in.

But at the end of the day, I haven't seen anyone walking out in their first match after 12 weeks of five days per week training that's any "better" than anyone having their first match after training two or three times per week with any other trainer for a few months. In fact, if you're not a natural athlete or don't have a wrestling background, I'd recommend going to someone who's not going to have a set 12 weeks and is able to work with you to make sure you learn as best as possible rather than just moving on. I've had people come in to our camp that would have been sent home from Storm (that I have gotten close to sending home) but eventually got it and have become somewhat successful performers.

As far as his progress, I was told just the other day that him wrestling any time soon is probably not a good idea, but of course I haven't seen the kid for myself.
    This was the impression that I got, too. From what I'm told, a carny promoter I do some stuff for tried to convince him to work a match after he'd graduated but before he went home, but it was a hard no from Rey.

He's a good kid with a good attitude from my experiences with him. Maybe a little too quiet and "nice" for wrestling.

Transgender Terror
    Onto the more important question. Coach, why haven't you called out Seth Rollins yet? Sydney Steele vs Seth Rollins would sell out Wrestlemania in seconds.

First off, we cannot confirm nor deny that Coach is in fact Western Canadian wrestling legend Sydney Steele. Second, if he were, Seth Rollins is avoiding him because Seth fears Sydney will take food off his table.

Transgender Terror
    Bullshit. I have the photos.

Of the food on Seth's table?

I bet it's just piles of kale. Fucking kale.

Hearing all of that above about Dominick it feels kind of weird that WWE are making his presence so public if he's only just out of wrestling school, has no in ring experience outside of that training, and they could have waited on - unless, as you say Cult, WWE are trying to play giving him a contract and TV profile off against Rey potentially leaving next year.

They could have easily just introduced him on NXT, chucked a mask on him, and slowly worked him up to that role.

I don't doubt that Andrade could carry him through something watchable, but Andrade could carry me through something watchable with no training.

Yeah it feels like Dominick is only there to placate Rey or Rey really does want to retire soon and said he wants his son involved.

Rey has no plans to retire, at least from what's been indicated to me. He would like to work a softer schedule obviously but beyond that he's going to wrestle as long as he continues to perform at a high level, and luchadores (especially the great ones) can continue to do that well into their 50's. So this is very much about WWE wanting to either capitalize off Rey teaming with his son before Rey leaves in April (his contract is actually for two years but he has an opt out clause after 18 months) or using it to placate him and convince him to stay. How they plan to go about it or whether it'll work beats me.

The issue, if you believe the people in the know, is that WWE really only wanted Rey because they didn't want Rey to go elsewhere. And make no mistake; if AEW had been around when Rey was making his decision he would've leaned towards signing with them. He built up a good relationship with them during the road to All In and the Elite and Tony Khan absolutely revere him. But at the time he was looking to make a decision AEW was still months away from getting off the ground and the only offers were from New Japan and WWE; the former offer would've required him to work a lot in Japan for less money than he made with WWE (though on a reduced schedule) while the latter would've been a big money WWE offer, though at a full time schedule. That was a no brainer. It will not be the case in April and if I were WWE I'd probably focus less on trying to do this Dominik match (especially since Rey is so protective of his son's career and progress) and more about keeping Rey happy in order to get him to stay and do the match a year and a half from now. If they rush Dominik out there and it's not good, coupled with Rey not doing a whole lot beyond the stop-start feud with Sombra, I think it will hurt their chances more than help.

Does anybody else, every so often, watch a Revival match on the main roster and then almost immediately sigh loudly and go and find the 2/3 falls match with DIY?

Or is it just me?