Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Japan General Discussion

Making this thread because of BOSJ talk and also because Hiroshi Tanahashi's movie is coming out this summer and its even more amazing than I thought. In "My Dad is a Heel Wrestler" Tanahashi plays a former ace who becomes a heel under a mask and his son sees him wrestle. Its based off a children's book and it looks amazing. I must see it.

The Brain
    Ok, I hadn't even heard of that but it looks like a lot of fun. I think I'll have to check it out too when I get a chance!!

All I knew is Tanahashi cut his trademark hair for the movie. Makes sense given he has to wear a mask.

The Brain
    It was such beautiful hair too... oh well, we all make sacrifices for our art.

I know I'm behind the times, but last night I watched the Golden Lovers/Young Bucks match from the American show they did in March. I was looking forward to the match and I did think it was good, but I was a little disappointed if I'm being honest. It was much more melodramatic than I expected, with a whole truckload of "how can I do a wrestling move on my friend?" moments, which is a trope I rarely get into. I'm guessing New Japan thinks American's are into that kind of thing, and based on the very positive response from most fans I guess they're right. Just not my taste, and I am a bit bummed that I feel like New Japan is moving farther away from the stuff I like.

Love what they are doing on a conceptual level, breaking into America in an unprecedented way and raising the profile of pro wrestling all over the world. I know people are loving this year's BOSJ so far, so I'll have to check out some of that when I get a chance.

In my opinion, I don't think New Japan had much say in the way that tag match was laid out. I mean, its not like they've done anything with it beyond that. And it played perfectly off being the Elite.

Personally, i really enjoyed that match and I was invested, because of the the Elite show.. I thought the match was too long is my only real problem . I also read complaints about Ibushi being a bit lost at times but he also got concussed in that match.

Speaking of American New Japan, The Cow Palace show hasn't sold out from last I read and there's no matches offically announced but in reading thoughts from the new New Japan CEO, I feel like they will do everything they can to sell the show out.

The Brain
    Yeah, I figured I might be missing something by not watching BTE, so fair enough. Ibushi looked fine overall to me, so if he did that well while concussed good for him. The only thing I noticed is that one big botch but the camera hid it pretty well.

I think once they start announcing who is actually going to be there, let alone actual matches, ticket sales will pick back up again. Cow Palace holds about 13,000 I believe so even if they don't hit a full sellout they could still have their biggest US crowd, but I think they've got a good chance of hitting it.

If it doesn't sell out, I think that says alot for what Cody and the Bucks have able to do by drawing buzz to what they're doing.. its not the same thing as New Japan trying to break into America but I do think the Cow Palace show has to have a strong card. A big title match that feels like it matters would help.

Even if you hadn't watched Being the Elite, the only sensible way for that match to play out was the way it did. The Bucks made it pretty clear after the Golden Lovers beat Marty and Cody on the ROH/New Japan crossover in February that they were a) insulted that Kenny and Ibushi believed they were the best team in the world and b) hurt that after all they had been through Kenny had seemingly abandoned them for his old partner. Kenny meanwhile didn't want to fight them for obvious reasons and Ibushi was kind of the middle man trying to keep Kenny's eye on the ball. Those would've shown through regardless of whether BTE had given the match an extra push. I think if anything that show, given how popular it is (I personally think it's an awesome show), more or less solidified that it needed to be a heavily emotional contest of two brothers who felt betrayed by their best friend.

As for the Cow Palace, I have no idea whether they'll get over 10K or not. I'm 99.9% sure that Kenny is going to be champion going in and Cody will be the challenger. It all makes sense. Cody beat Kenny at Supercard of Honor and Ibushi at Dontaku, which gives him a very strong case to be the next challenger (and also presents a reason for Kenny to want revenge). Okada has held the title long enough and the records he has left to break can only happen (or at least one of them can only happen) if he drops the title. Above all else it's just time for the title to go elsewhere and for Kenny to have a run. So I do think you'll see him vs. Cody at the show with Kenny retaining the title. The question is whether that's enough to sell out on its own and if not, what else can they put on there that will mean as much? A big reason I don't believe the show is selling well now is because most fans are anticipating the card will be like the last Long Beach show, which was okay but mostly loaded with tag matches that had no meaning. I think if New Japan fills the show with important matches/title defenses that look enticing, that will fix the problem.

The Brain
    Omega/Cody as the headline makes a lot of sense to me too, and it feels like that'll help sales. If they get Rey on the card, so much the better!

Fair enough about the Bucks/Lovers match, I suppose. Like I said, the response made it clear that style was a good way to go, it's just more melodramatic than when I usually look for in wrestling.

Of course, that still doesn't explain why Matt helped Omega do the One Winged Angel on him.

I don't think that was helping as much as it was goading. Matt was the one angered the most by Kenny's "betrayal", so it made sense given Kenny's hesistance that when he was having second thoughts about hitting the move Matt screamed at him to just get it over with. Sort of like how Rorschach screamed the same thing at Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen or any other countless number of times it happens in entertainment. So overall it made sense to me and I thought it was a pretty powerful moment overall.

Yeah, I liked it. Matt knew that the match was over. Nick's down, Matt's hurt, at that point he knew there was no winning, but Kenny had damn well better not take it easy on him.

There's a lot of layers there. Matt being angry, Matt knowing that it was over, and Matt wanting the respect from a man who's supposedly his best friend to treat him just as he would any other opponent.

After everything, especially with the respect angle, it would be downright disrespectful for Kenny not only to not hit Matt with his big move, but to think that he could finish him without it.

I liked Lovers/Bucks.

I'm loving the shine they're giving Tiger Mask IV right now in BOSJ. 3 from 3, with YOH, Bushi, and Kanemaru dispatched already. I mean, part of me thinks they're just giving him wins over the people lower on the totem pole and it's a bit of luck that he's strung those three together, but he's only a couple of wins off from being right in there at the end, and I could see his bouts with Flip and ACH being coin tosses at the moment. I did have a feeling that Ospreay was going to run away with BOSJ this year and cement himself as the Junior Ace by winning it as the champion - and he might still do that, I suppose. But at the moment Block A looks pretty open unless you're Bushi.

The Brain
    In my defense, I'm pretty consistent about disliking that trope. I didn't even really like it in HBK/Taker. If a guy is hesitating, I'll pretty much always be cheering for the other guy to take advantage rather than put themselves in harms way. But yeah, I did still like the match, I just didn't love it like I hoped I would.

Ospreay's upside is obvious, but I'm hoping it's finally Hiromu's year. I feel like he's overdue and a win for him would be more meaningful than another one for Ospreay.

It's neither of their years. There's a reason New Japan gave Taiji Ishimori not only a big debut but a pretty convincing win over Ospreay (the only time Ospreay has lost a match to a fellow Junior this year). He's winning this shindig, allowing Ospreay a chance for revenge at Dominion before they move onto Rey-Ospreay at the Cow Palace. After that I can see Hiromu getting the belt back, though I wouldn't be surprised if they waited till Wrestle Kingdom to finally pull the trigger.

The Brain
    I'm ok with Ishimori getting the nod. It's a little surreal that after being off the radar for quite a while he's finally getting such a high profile spot, but I think he can do a lot with it.

People either love me, hate me, or they don't care CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    Is New Japan releasing the English commentary on delay or is it just going to be Japanese commentary? I haven't started watching yet because I'm awaiting Kevin Kelly and the audio virus Don Callis or Rocky Romero to translate the matches.

I don't mind Japanese commentary but my God the way they emphatically shout is absurd sometimes.

They only do English commentary for the big shows. I've also seen them translate the promos on screen now... Twitter is also your friend cause there's people in Japan that know Japanese that translate it real time.

Personally, I love japanese commentary, you know they're into it. Don't mind Callis but Kevin Kelly is a dry noodle
    Last edited by LK3185; 05-24-2018 at 11:38 PM.

The Okada promo at the end of Dominion had a translator following up on his sentences, didn't it? I thought that was a good touch. Like LK, I actually prefer the Japanese commentary on the matches but obviously for promos and stuff I need the translation.

I've noticed on the youtube channel they've had the translation of promos in the back after matches. There's a great one with Naito after Jericho attacks him. They were actually behind the times cause a year ago, none of that happened.

The Brain
    Yeah, they need to invest first and foremost in getting everything subbed in English ASAP.

Count me with those who far, far prefers the Japanese commentary. I really dislike Kelly and Callis, chortling about Mletzer star ratings and generally not adding anything worthwhile (at least for me). Give me the over the top enthusiasm every time, even if I don't know the words at least I buy the feeling.

Hi.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    LOL what a thumbnail. Love Takahashi. He may be the true successor to Nakamura's bizarre charisma.

Is this tournament a month long like the G1 Climax? Im awaiting a semi finals show to jump into but aafter 10 days, I don't know where the hell there at with this one.

its a tour til June 4th. There is no semi finals matches i don't think, just the block winners face off June 4th so not exactly like the G1

That's interesting, I guess I should google how these tournament rules work.Thanks for letting me know LK3185
    Seen some matches last year like Taka Michinoku vs Taichi and Osprey vs Richochet so I'm interested in this somewhat but I'm not a fan of the Japanese commentary. Sometimes it's funny how they sound like Portuguese soccer commentary with foreign Vince McMahon enthusiasm for everything. Although now this is near the end, were there any great matches that occurred in any of your opinions?
    Last edited by CanadianCrippler; 06-03-2018 at 05:07 AM.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I haven't watched all the matches, but my top two favorites that I would highly recommend are Ospreay vs. Ishimori from Night 1 and Dragon Lee vs. Takahashi in Night 6.

You can't go wrong with any Hiromu Takahashi matches in this tournament, he's been amazing against just about all his opponents. Definitely my MVP of the tournament.

FWIW, last day of Super Junior Block action before the winners face off is Sunday morning and it will have English commentary. 8 matches, both blocks to find out which wrestler will win their respective block.

Think we're getting a Ishimori/Kushida final or Ishimori/Takahashi.

Edit:

Ishimori/Takahashi final. Think it could go either way.
    Last edited by LK3185; 06-03-2018 at 08:33 AM.

The Brain
    Oooh, very interesting final. If they go all in on the BC/LIJ thing then I could see it leading to another Naito/Omega match in the near future, assuming he wins the title (which I am).

The match I've heard the most good things about so far has been El Desperado vs. Hiromu Takahashi from day 4. That'll probably be the one I try to make time to seek out at some point, along with maybe a few others.

Desperado-Takahashi was awesome. I was particularly pleased at how good a job it did at making Desperado look as good as he did; he's long been underrated. The match really brought out the best in him.

Ishimori is going to win BOTSJ by the way. They didn't have him come in, attack Ospreay on his first night then beat Ospreay on his second night for that to not immediately lead somewhere. He's winning, then my guess is he loses to Ospreay to lead into Ospreay-Mysterio at the Cow Palace.

The Brain
    I can definitely see that. I prefer Takahashi as a performer but Ishimori is probably positioned better to make the most of a win right now.

I mean the way gedo books, they don't need Ishimori to win the tournament to get a title shot since he already beat ospreay. I'm not really in favor of putting that match on Dominion anyway since i think it will be overshadowed. Wait for another show

So you don't want to do Ishimori-Ospreay at Dominion because it would be overshadowed, yet you'd be fine with Ospreay-Hiromu being overshadowed? I know it's a bigger match, but that doesn't change the fact that Jericho-Naito and Okada-Omega IV are going to swallow that match up too. You have the setup to Ishimori-Ospreay already and you just had Ospreay involved in Ishimori's match today. That's the match that makes most sense to do.

Well Hiromu won and I think its because they didn't want Ospreay to lose the title to Ishimori yet and not have Ishmori basically run thru all the top guys this soon. This way, Ospreay can get another title defense... and they can do the Ishimori/Ospreay later.

Also, could see Hiromu winning the title again and maybe going heavyweight since its a stated goal of his.

The Brain
    If he wins the title, won't that mean he can't go heavyweight until he loses it? I think he'd be a great fit for the heavy division either way. I can see some logic in pushing back Ishimori/Ospreay too, though I admit Cult's scenario made the most sense to me going in.

Hiromu's been on this whole year long redemption arch. He lost to Kushida and didn't win another singles match forever. Him beating Osprey makes sense. Third opportunity, fully redeemed.

Ospreay's a guy that could be in the G1. He will be a heavy some day as well.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    I'm still waiting for KUSHIDA to move up, he definitely feels like he could make a great go of it.

Hiromu said something about being Junior champ and moving up at the same time..

As much as i love Kushida, I think they believe he's too small to move up and that he's their junior ace.

Def see Ospreay moving up eventually but I think he needs to learn Japanese like Omega has.. that would put him over the top.
    Last edited by LK3185; 06-04-2018 at 01:28 PM.

None of them are moving up any time soon and I certainly don't see any of them being in the G1. Then again I didn't see Takahashi winning so who knows.

I have no unearthly idea why you have Ishimori attack Ospreay and beat him if you're not doing the match immediately (I get they'll probably do it later but between this and the Tanahashi-Suzuki stuff I'm not sure I like New Japan putting off feuds that make more sense to do now) but I'm happy for Takahashi. He's been great going back to his CMLL days and he's somehow evolved into an even greater performer than I could've imagined. I don't know if he wins Saturday cause I can see New Japan holding off on his title win till Wrestle Kingdom (not to mention Mysterio vs. Ospreay feels like the next title match) but it should be a hell of a match, especially since today's match was out of this world good.

I could see Will or Takhashi moving up next year or so. They have Sho and Yoh to anchor the new generation of juniors and you can't have 3 or 4 Juniors staying in those spots before they get moved down or stale. Its the cycle of New Japan that will force Gedo's hand.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I'm happy for Takahashi. He's been great going back to his CMLL days and he's somehow evolved into an even greater performer than I could've imagined.
    This is something that shouldn't get lost in the shuffle either. I loved him as Kamaitachi and it's amazing that he's gotten still better, to the point where he's pretty comfortably in my top 5 favorite New Japan guys.