Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    New Year's Dash just wrapped up, and interestingly enough there wasn't a single member of The Elite appearing at the show. Hopefully that doesn't mean anything and that whatever All Elite Wrestling turns out to be, it involves New Japan.

EDIT: Now there's news that Kenny Omega is either taking a break from New Japan or is done with New Japan for the time being. No one seems to be sure if that means he'll take a few months off like he did a few years ago, or if he's going to head towards AEW or WWE at this point. It'll be an interesting story for sure.

It's also confirmed that KUSHIDA is leaving New Japan. There's still no official word as to where he's headed but from what I gather there's a strong indication he might be WWE-bound.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 01-07-2019 at 04:58 AM.

Ugh. Sadly, I'm sure KUSHIDA will wind up as just another guy on 205 Live, but if that is what he wants I certainly don't fault him for it. I really do hope Kenny isn't going the WWE route as well.

After checking out his presser, I'm not buying that Omega is completely leaving NJPW (whether that means he is going to spend some time with AEW or just taking a leave for a few months, who knows, but WWE obviously wouldn't be an option if that is the direction he is taking).
    Last edited by ZeroTolerance; 01-07-2019 at 11:54 AM.

The Brain
    I've been arguing for awhile that they should have bumped KUSHIDA up to the heavies, god knows he's good enough for it. Don't know if it'd have made a difference on him leaving but still wish they'd have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    New Year's Dash just wrapped up, and interestingly enough there wasn't a single member of The Elite appearing at the show. Hopefully that doesn't mean anything and that whatever All Elite Wrestling turns out to be, it involves New Japan.
    I think they're probably hedging their bets. There's supposed to be the AEW/ROH/NJPW meeting coming up, isn't there? New Japan probably figures that there's no point in using or promoting them if they aren't sure they're going to work with them going forward.

I was surprised at all the AEW name dropping in Cody's WK match to be honest.

EDIT: Kenny's statement feels like a little bit of a work to me. He's stepping away because he can't work under Tanahashi, the guy that he apparently hates? That feels like he wants to take some time away, and is using that as a reason.

Maybe he did get a great WWE offer and he's considering that, so using his animosity with Tanahashi has the reason for him to be taking other offers. But it just seems like he wants some time off to R&R (he got pretty banged up this year and worked the G1 through a number of injuries apparently) and this is as good a time, and reason, as any.

The word is that Kenny is indeed leaving but that he's going to AEW, not WWE. Apparently the meeting between AEW, New Japan and ROH ended with New Japan deciding to stick with Ring of Honor, thus (for now) ending the prospect of an AEW/New Japan agreement. It's left Kenny with the choice between home (Japan, where he is a citizen now), money (WWE) and loyalty and he's decided to stick with the Bucks and Cody, which isn't surprising given that all the Elite guys have said they're sticking together (save Marty, who probably will join him when his deal is up too). It's not official and Big Dave is saying things are changing by the minute (who knows what that means) but he also all but inferred that Kenny is AEW bound and today's Being the Elite ends with his lost phone beginning to count down to the end of his deal just like the Bucks, Cody and Hangman's phones did (the Bucks, Cody and Hangman also signed deals in this video that they claimed were for five years). A massive change would need to happen for him to either go to WWE or return to New Japan, meaning you can expect Kenny to be AEW full time and their number one draw immediately.

Its also been stated elsewhere, not reported, but that AEW doesn't even have plans for TV until June. The NJPW/ROH supershow is in April... So i could see where NJPW sticks with ROH until the summer. They didn't bury Kenny on his way out.

Yeah, he's headed to AEW. I get it.

Someone's gonna get made at WM. Pretty sure of it. If Omega refuses, someone else gains.

There really isn't a wrong answer for him.

Lastly, MSG? I'm going:

Y2J vs Tanahashi
    Marty vs Lethal
    Naito vs Ibushi

I could be wrong, but that's where I'm sitting.

“How great the tremors will be when the judge comes."

Wow, losing Kenny is a huge hit to their western plans. I'm one of those fans that ha tacked on in the last year and the number one reason was Kenny Omega. I like some of the other guys for sure and have enjoyed watching them wrestle but he is the one who I have an emotional attachment to.

They have big plans to grow but no point man to grow them with.

Counterpoint is, you can't rely on one guy for your success in one market cause one way or the other, that time is going to come to an end. Are they ready with a new top western star now? No but i'm sure they'll find one if its not Kenny.

But how long is that going to take, and who is that? They're in the middle of a potentially lucrative US expansion, and if they don't have that star it could very well flop like every other time they've tried. I guess it comes down to whether Kenny and the Bucks got eyeballs on the product that became invested in other people, or if it was just a bunch of people in Bullet Club shirts who will stay home now. Sales for the third show that they added will be really telling, I think.

I'm not going to tune out because those guys are gone. Personally, Naito is still my favourite wrestler in the world and I'd tune in just to see him. I also love Juice and Jay White (I think that those are your two money Western stars and they'll have a chance to prove it now that Kenny is gone, by the way).

However, that's me. I do think that there's a pretty decent chunk of people who were at that long beach show who were there because Bullet Club and Kenny were the cool thing.

From new reports, it looks like NJPW is trying real hard to keep Kenny and work with AEW... which tells me they will leave the ROH partnership after the MSG show.. Kinda like I thought they would anyway.

So that makes it rather moot if they can still have Kenny for the G1 show. One of the issues I had and I know others had though was that New Japan was trying to expand but they weren't having shows over here that were that important. It helped that Kenny was on top sure but going into the long beach show, you started to here grumblings that NJPW just putting on a show here wasn't enough anymore. I think they realized that and that's why there's a G1 show in Dallas.

Also, Ospreay will probably get a major push now regardless if Kenny stays or not. So you got Jay White, Juice, and Ospreay.

I agree. When I read that NJPW was sticking with ROH and not AEW, at least for now, I said, "Of course they will for now. They already have the MSG show booked with ROH; they aren't going to end that partnership until that show is over." What I don't understand is why they can't all work together. The Elite all have a great relationship with ROH and even if they are technically going to be competitors, the future of pro wrestling is not in competition; it's in collaboration. Eventually something will be worked out and they will all work together. If not, ROH will be the ones on the outside looking in and they can't afford to be in that position when the hottest indy stars in the industry are nearly all with AEW now.

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    I agree. When I read that NJPW was sticking with ROH and not AEW, at least for now, I said, "Of course they will for now. They already have the MSG show booked with ROH; they aren't going to end that partnership until that show is over." What I don't understand is why they can't all work together. The Elite all have a great relationship with ROH and even if they are technically going to be competitors, the future of pro wrestling is not in competition; it's in collaboration. Eventually something will be worked out and they will all work together. If not, ROH will be the ones on the outside looking in and they can't afford to be in that position when the hottest indy stars in the industry are nearly all with AEW now.
    I think its more of an ROH issue.. I've also heard though that Khan might not be the easiest to deal with. The thing is, if AEW wants to be the number 2 promotion in the country, running on major tv, its not going to really make sense to work with ROH and help ROH with their product as well. I also don't think the demand is there to support 4 semi to important wrestling companies. I mean at a touring level.

Also, if AEW is really providing health care, it makes even less sense for promotions to work together.
    Last edited by LK3185; 01-08-2019 at 07:55 PM.

NJPW

I know nothing of it. Having said that, I'd like to watch this year's Wrestle Kingdom 13 show that just happened to submerge into it. Though there's a catch- I don't want it in English. I know other wrestling sites are no nos, but is there someone out there that can potentially message me with a solid, potentially free link?

Edit- sorry mods, I appear to have guy vision today. This should be in the other sub forum
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 01-16-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Sorry I don't know of any - and my guess is that no one has answered because the relative affordability of NJPW World (what is it, about $7?) means that most people who are interested in this are already signed up, so there's just less trade in cheap links than their used to be.

The best I can suggest is going through the whole Russian version of Youtube, like people still do for a lot of the smaller Japanese promotions, if you don't wanna sign up.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

NJPW dropped their New Japan US tour cards.

The only Japanese talent on the shows is Oka.

People aren't happy. Yet there are some defending this.

It feels very ROH.

I think NJPW doesn't get the American consumer. People aren't simply paying $50 on tickets. East coast peeps are coming from states away to see those show. Parking, Gas/transportation, food, sometimes logging, and merch. I'm guessing the average is over $100 a person. And the answer is we don't get one upper card talent on the show with a ton of ROH dudes.

Super sad to see this reaction become a thing, but they deserve it when they drop the cards as if they're great.

Here's a link to the announcement. "enjoy"

https://www.njpw1972.com/42933?utm_s...&utm_campaign=

Rumor is its in part because of the government shutdown.

Damn. No Tanahashi or Okada? I can't get my Minoru Suzuki fix? Or Naito? Couldn't even throw a bone with Henare?

Wouldn't surprise me if it had something to do with the shutdown. You never know if these guys are going to get through TSA or be able to make it home in a reasonable timeframe. It just sucks for anyone thinking about attending those shows. They are just ROH shows.

A couple things. First, it is definitely the shutdown. New Japan was going to have Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yuji Nagata , as well as Goto, Satoshi Kojima and a few Japanese stars on this tour (though none of the people Coach mentioned; New Japan is running a tour in Japan at the same time and is using the biggest names there) and applied for visas all the way back in November. It's a bitch to get visas cleared under normal circumstances (Lucha Underground has had this problem in the past, as had Taya trying to work for Impact in Canada) and once the government shut down the process came to a screeching halt. I suppose New Japan could've started the process sooner but unless they're seers there was little chance they could've foreseen this shutdown turning into what it did (or even happening to begin with) and even then there was no guarantee. I don't see how you can blame them (or any promotion if they were caught in this situation), even if it is disappointing that the card turned into what it did as a result.

Having said all of that, I'm not nearly as down on these shows as others are. It may be a lot of ROH talent but it's a lot of really good ROH talent. Guys like "Hot Sauce" Tracy Williams and Jonathan Gresham (one of the most underrated wrestlers in the world) will be getting opportunities, Brody King vs. Jeff Cobb and Juice Robinson vs. Beretta are both potential great matches, we'll get a look at the guys Shibata has been training, Davey Boy Smith Jr. and Colt Cabana have singles matches and there's a Roppongi Vice reunion! I think these shows will surprise people to a degree.

The immigration/visa services are fully funded through September.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    though none of the people Coach mentioned; New Japan is running a tour in Japan at the same time and is using the biggest names there
    There was no way I was going to like these shows then. Nothing against Ishii. Anyone know if they'll be airing those tour shows on New Japan World? They air a lot of their tour shows on there.

Lucha Underground has had this problem in the past, as had Taya trying to work for Impact in Canada
    Yeah, it's hard at the best of times. And it might actually be a big part of the reason NJPW currently works with ROH.

From what I and others that I know have dealt with, the cost for a visa is about $5k non-refundable (though I believe that it's good for three years) and you can be denied for any reason. It can be as simple as the person reviewing your application doesn't like wrestling and they can deny you. They don't even have to tell you why, they just have to decide that you shouldn't work in the US. And you NEED a US company to sponsor you. That's where ROH comes in. Unless NJPA has a corporate arm in the US, they need someone like ROH to sponsor their talent coming in.

A lot of the NJPW guys can get around some of that with a special visa for athletes or artists with outstanding abilities. You have to be able to demonstrate their outstanding ability with reviews, international news recognition, etc. but that wouldn't be too hard.

But if visa reviews have ground to a halt, there's no way those guys are getting into the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    The immigration/visa services are fully funded through September.
    And? As I stated, Lucha Underground went through this problem last year. They put in for new visas in November of 2017 for AAA luchadores they were bringing in. Season four started filming in February, three months later; the visas weren't given until the end of March, after season four had been completed. That was also during a time where things were "fully funded" and a partial government shutdown was going on. Likewise, in October of 2017 Taya was unable to compete at Impact's Bound for Glory in Canada (her home country) over visa issues that took forever to resolve (in fact, they only did resolve just recently). Same deal. Just because something has funding means squat, especially in this administration. Things were already taking a long time even under the best of circumstances and that's certainly not the case now. Unless someone can show me proof that New Japan filed for visas at the start of this month, it looks to me they did as much as they could do (short of maybe announcing these issues ahead of time to warn fans) and got boned by the political climate.

Immigration is the shits right now man. I know a lot of guys who used to go do shots pretty much weekly in the States (they were Canadians that almost exclusively worked in the US) and just chanced it without visas for years. They never had a problem. But now with the major immigration issues they don't chance it anymore. They've gone from weekly to maybe monthly or every few months and started taking Canadian shots because Matthews just got popped and got the ban. It isn't worth it with the current US administration and attitude around immigration.

I got shit from US immigration coming home to Canada from Mexico. I was literally in the country for 45 minutes and not leaving the international terminal in Houston and they gave me a tough time getting in.

The Brain
    Easy to see why people are bummed, especially if they shelled out for tickets. Sounds like there wasn't a whole lot they could do about it though.

Brody King vs. Jeff Cobb definitely does sound awesome, on the bright side. And I am always, ALWAYS down for Tracy Williams.

Not a lot of New Japan chat around since Wrestle Kingdom. Have AEW stolen their thunder?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I'm not sure. I've watched a lot of the New Beginning cards but have yet to sit down and watch the last two.

Tanahashi vs KUSHIDA is probably the biggest story of the tour in my opinion. They had a really great match, and I think KUSHIDA showed management on his way out that he is more than "just" a Junior. The Jay White attack at the end really upset a lot of people, which was the point, but I legitimately popped when he hit the ring.

Gotta be honest, New Japan is probably my favorite wrestling company today but its also a company i don't need to have my full attention on. The Road to shows don't hold much interest for me so i just watch the bigger shows. There's usually a lull after Wrestle Kingdom.

Plus with all that's gone on with AEW, it makes me wonder how big that MSG show will really be even though its sold out.

Well, I think there will be a little more talk about New Japan after tonight's show...

Once I saw the supposed original plans (pre-Omega departure), I started thinking they might go this direction.

The Brain
    Not sure how others feel about this, but I think it's a mistake to go this way.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Not sure how others feel about this, but I think it's a mistake to go this way.
    I think they will end up putting the title on Okada at MSG.
    Last edited by ZeroTolerance; 02-11-2019 at 07:07 PM.

From what I gather Gedo is a long-term booker, so I wonder if Omega's departure forced his hand or if it was the plan after all.

I still don't think that New Japan will have an IWGP Heavyweight Championship title change outside of Japan. If that happens, that will be a significant shift within the company. I'd be very curious to see how that would be accepted by the fans here.

Outside of the title picture, how about Ibushi deciding to stay in New Japan? The rumor mill says he signed a two-year deal. That's a huge, huge get for them at a time when they sorely needed it.

White is going to hold the belt until either Naito/Okada take it off him and they’ll face each other at WK next year is what I suspect will happen.

The Brain
    Could buy this as a transitional reign, though it still feels like way too soon for White.

I think Ibushi is the wildcard for WK, now that he's actually committed. I still don't think he'll win the title but he'd be a great shot to challenge at least and see how it goes.

If it's a transitional reign, it kind of sucks that they had to do it at the expense of Tanahashi having such a short run. Although all of this could have been triggered due to all the roster changes, who knows. While I'm still not all that sold on this, I hope that White can at least have a title defense or two.

You'd have to think that Ibushi has to be slotted in the title picture now that there's a long-term commitment.

New Japan has yet to have a main event in America in any show without a gaijin in the main. People have been annoyed as such, saying that we aren't getting a true NJPW feel.

NJPW seems to think that if two Japanese born people are in the main that the audience won't like it. So, we get a guy from NZ. Just an observation.

In case some of you missed it, NJPW World uploaded a few matches from this past week's Giant Baba memorial show. It includes the main event of the show featuring the team of Hiroshi Tanahashi and Yoshitatsu vs. Daisuke Sekimoto and Kento Miyahara (with All Japan's Kyohei Wada as the ref). It's a solid 25 minute tag match. Everyone got their spots in, and there were a couple of fun moments too. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not going to spoil things but based on the participants I'm willing to bet you all know who ate the pin.

It's pretty incredible to see the recent IWGP Heavyweight Champ, current Triple Crown Champ and current Strong Heavyweight Champ on the same card, let alone the same match. It feels so weird to see Sekimoto and Miyahara on the New Japan service, but I'm not complaining one bit. Please get one of these men to participate in this year's G1 Climax, please!

I also highly encourage those who don't know much about Miyahara to see what he's about in this match. He's my current favorite Japanese wrestler, I really dig everything he's doing.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 02-23-2019 at 10:21 AM.

The Brain
    Weird to think of Kento and Tana going against each other, two of Japan's most pure babyface aces of this decade.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. They seem to have a lot more similarities than I expected.

In other news, the matches for this year's New Japan Cup have been set. You have your expected roster there with a few new faces. Shota Umino is going to participate. Recently-released NXT wrestler Nick Miller of TM-61 will be in the tournament. Colt Cabana will also be making what I think is his New Japan debut.

Out of all the first-round matches, the one that looks the most interesting on paper is Ibushi vs. Naito.

The Brain
    I think Miller will do fine but probably not wow people excessively. TM61 was a good team, perhaps better than they got to show in NXT, but I never found myself saying they needed to split and shock the world with singles careers. He does have a lot of experience in NOAH so I'm sure he'll be fine adapting to the style.

I somehow missed Cabana was going to be in! That's a bit odd but I'm sure it'll be fun.

My personal favorites in this thing are Sabre and Ibushi but I can honestly say I haven't a clue who is favored to win. Probably a bigger name that White can beat as they try to cement him in the spot, which I still think is a pretty major uphill climb.