Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    We're probably getting Jay White vs. Tanahashi for the WK contract at the very least. Could also see Jericho at King of Pro Wrestling.. if his cruise is later? i forget.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Jericho's cruise is at the end of October. I took a quick glance now at the Fozzy tour dates and he has a show on September 29 and another on October 6, then a break until November 7. He can appear at Fighting Spirit Unleashed to set something up for King Of Pro Wrestling, but that's pretty short notice and he's probably have to arrive to Japan on the day of the show. He's obviously crazy enough to do that, but I'm guessing he'll hold off maybe until Power Struggle.

The Brain
    This is me going back to check out a G1 match that Xan suggested, that I missed the first time through!

Zack Sabre Jr vs. SANADA 7/21/18 NJPW G1 Climax Day 6

I'll say this, Sabre may very well be my favorite guy working New Japan right now, he's really won me over in the past year or two and now I can't get enough of him. What I really liked about this is most guys come to wrestle Zack with the same game plan, only to be drawn into and then abused by his super technical style. But SANADA, he came prepared! He had Sabre scouted and intended from the word go to not only play the technical game, but to win it. Zack did an amazing job selling his frustration and increasing his urgency as SANADA foiled him many times over. This was smart, told a really good story, and perhaps most importantly never overstayed it's welcome. This is a great little match and to be honest I like it more than some of the much more hyped G1 matches from this year! Not the absolute best, might you, but in the upper tier for my taste.

Although I'm posting this in the New Japan thread, this bit of news relates to a lot of wrestling promotions.

A few Japanese wrestling promotions are coming together to put on a special event to commemorate Giant Baba's 20th anniversary of his death. It'll take place February 19, 2019 at Ryogoku Kokugikan (Sumo Hall). Among the companies involved will be New Japan, All Japan, NOAH, Wrestle-1 and Big Japan. This is pretty huge to have all of these companies come together, and given the professional wrestling landscape across the globe it comes at a great time. There aren't many details released yet - there's no card announced yet, who will be participating, if they'll broadcast it somewhere, etc. I'm sure more info will trickle down soon.

Given that each company has separate broadcasting partners, it probably won't be on any streaming service like NJPW World or AJPW TV (most likely it'll be shown at some point on Samurai TV here in Japan). As for the matches, the consensus is that it'll consist of a lot of multi-man matches since it's probably impossible to have opposing companies come to agreements on singles matches. Still, one can dream, right? I'd kill to have some singles matches like Okada or Tanahashi vs. Kento Miyahara, or Tomohiro Ishii vs. Daisuke Sekimoto.

The Brain
    That is really cool, though I agree I wouldn't hold my breath for any dream singles matches. If they can do even 1 or 2 though that could be really awesome. I want to see Ishikawa bulldoze some big NJPW name.

Anyone following the Super Jr. Tag League matches? I've watched a handful of the matches and it seems fun. I'm really digging the team of Takagi and BUSHI.

I'm up for some suggestions. I flat out do not have time for full shows but watching single matches has proved a nice way of breaking things up when I have down time at the hospital.

@Sir_Samuel

I like how they're packing the field on the tag league at the moment - four teams on four points, four on two, with the chance for things to change pretty rapidly.

I really enjoyed Roppongi 3K vs Eagles and Ishimori. Fun little bout.

Other news: Jay White says he has a mole in CHAOS. That's hopefully not something NJPW let go, but could be pretty big in the future. I'm kind of hoping it's not Beretta, because that would likely been shenanigans at Power Struggle, but if it is it at least gives him something higher profile than just milling about in CHAOS.

The Brain
    I hope it's Ishii. Dude has played the good soldier better than anyone with arguably nothing to show for it in terms of main event titles.

Basically I just want something that will give Ishii a boost.

Oh, me too - you know I'm all aboard the Ishii train!

The Brain
    I also think he's the one guy that could shake Okada's hold on CHAOS. Right now White's attempt looks a bit lame but if he turned a cornerstone like Ishii then suddenly you'd have to take it a lot more seriously.

It's Big Dust. The bastard has been playing Lil Kazu like a fiddle this whole time!

The Brain
    Haha I totally thought of that but I don't want it to be true. He's so lovable.

So, interesting new story today that Naito was offered, and immediately declined, a WWE contract after Dominion earlier this year.

I'm not sure why that's interesting; I would have expected him to turn that down. What's the evidence for a Japanese talent having success in WWE?

What Xan said, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out more Japanese talent turned down a WWE contract. With Naito, Kenny Omega hit it right on the head that the tranquilo one's charcter is very Japanese. As in it the message behind it doesn't exactly ring the same outside of Japan, it's very reflective of current Japanese culture.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImplications View Post
    What Xan said, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out more Japanese talent turned down a WWE contract. With Naito, Kenny Omega hit it right on the head that the tranquilo one's charcter is very Japanese. As in it the message behind it doesn't exactly ring the same outside of Japan, it's very reflective of current Japanese culture.
    I mean, it does resonate, but the person behind it speaks Japanese and not English. I'm 100% sure that if he spoke English, it would translate very well.

No news here. Seriously, what did they expect? Naito's in his late 30's but unlike Nakamura in control of his stable, is in the middle of a long story arch, and in the company he's always wanted to be in. That, and he has control of his character there. In WWE, he'd lose that. Him, more so than anyone else I can think of, needs that to flourish.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

Nakamura was always one of the few who I thought would go to WWE. Maybe if WWE had more of a foothold in Japan, it would be different. Plus, any guys interested, have to see that their friends aren't exactly treated like Kings like they would be in Japan... The only draw i see would be a new challenge.

In Japan, you also don't have to work as much.

I think it's quite possible we may be seeing Nakamura back in Japan soon himself. There's word out there that a top WWE star (which Nakamura arguably is) has a New Japan offer on the table for just as much cash WWE is paying him for fewer dates. As far as I know the only people who have deals coming up are AJ, Gallows, Anderson and Nakamura. Gallows and Anderson aren't top guys in any sense of the word and AJ seems unlikely to leave so that really leaves Nakamura. And given how it's been a mixed run for him (he has gotten opportunities and all but has either been let down by bad booking or his own lackluster performance) it wouldn't shock me if he says "I gave it three years, now it's time to go back" and returns.

Regardless, Lazyking's point is spot on. The fact that there's a ceiling for Nakamura and other former New Japan stars not named AJ Styles would make it seem like guys like Naito and co aren't too keen on making the jump. Throw in how most of them did grow up working for New Japan or All Japan (which people don't realize were legit in the 90's) and it all makes sense.

I don't know why people are thinking that it's a no-brainer that Naito didn't want a WWE contract. It's not completely insane for any current hot wrestler to want to go to the WWE. There's a potential for more money, more exposure, tackling new challenges, and achieving personal and professional goals. Unless you personally know someone very closely, you never know what their true desires are in life. People are complicated like that.

The key word here, however, is potential. It's definitely not guaranteed that any or all of these things will happen. Like everything in life, it's a gamble. You never know if moving to another city/country or getting a new job will be better for you. You can do you best to make an educated guess, but who knows. That applies here too. We could live in a world where Naito goes to the WWE and becomes one of their top guys. Based on the WWE's history, though, it'll most likely be Naito not doing much of note for a few years.

I could defintely see Nakamura returning to Japan. He wanted to do it, and I think he likes the culture but he's old and maybe doesn't want to be on the road as much.

There's so many factors in a Japanese Wrestler not wanting to work for WWE full time, moreso than the other way because at least in Japan, there's a system and there's more built in off time still. The style is a bit more rough, but you're working less and not in singles matches every night. Sure, New Japan is ramping up their schedule a bit but if you're a top guy there, making really good money... I don't see the big need to leave.

I've always wondered how much money do New Japan guys make. I've read that Okada makes over $2 million a year, but does that extend down to the rest of the roster? I'm sure the top-tier guys (Tanahashi, Naito, Omega) make great money, but I wonder how much it is comparable to a mid-tier or upper-level WWE salary.

Japan has a weird salary structure here. TV talents and other celebs make insane amounts of money, but normal office jobs pay pathetic salaries. Hopefully New Japan leans towards the celeb part of the scale.

Hard for me to speculate, only to say that given how WWE views talent, they're not going after Japanese midcard talent... if there's a hook or something about them that makes them unique. That's who they want. I imagine lower card talent, are getting enough where they're not actively looking elsewhere. I also get a sense, and I don't know this, that the Japanese are very loyal.

Things like Shingo becoming a freelancer came off like a big deal.. Almost a disrespect.. If i'm reading that wrong, I apolgize. Now, WWE is probably looked at differently but If i'm correct, maybe talent don't even look to going elsewhere unless they're at a certain level.

I think WWE would want Yano in their midcard; he seems like he would fit in well there, actually.

I don't know about that, they never did anything with Cabana who is also mostly a comedy wrestler.