Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    The Brain
    For sure, can't end Liger's career without referencing one of the coolest bits he did over the years.

I'm actually really looking forward to Liger Vs Suzuki. They've been building to it really, really well.

The Brain
    God, I hope it delivers. The most excited I've been about a New Japan match in a while.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Lots of news in the past two days. I'll summarize some of it.

King of Pro Wrestling has come and gone. Some good, solid matches, but not a lot of interesting stuff beyond that. Probably the most shocking thing was the United States championship getting vacated due to Jon Moxley not showing up thanks to the recent typhoon disrupting his travel plans, apparently. In the end, we got Lance Archer replacing him in the bout against Juice Robinson and winning the title. I feel bad for Juice but I'm pretty happy Archer is getting some attention placed on him.

New Japan held a press conference a few hours ago about Wrestle Kingdom 14. Some interesting news came out of that.

The IWGP Heavyweight Championship match is official between Okada and Ibushi, and it will headline Night 1 of Wrestle Kingdom. Ibushi continuously mentioned that he wants to win both the IWGP Heavyweight title and the Intercontinental title the next night, so they're teasing a title vs. title match for the second night.

Jushin Thunder Liger will have not one, but two retirement matches on both nights. On the first night he'll be part of an 8-man tag including Tatsumi Fujinami, The Great Sasuke, Tiger Mask, and more legends. It's a weird match to do but Liger seemed psyched because he looks up to Fujinami. His second match on January 5 hasn't been announced yet. They'll have a retirement ceremony for Liger on January 6 at New Year's Dash.

Finally, the Power Struggle card is beginning to take shape with a few championship matches, headlined by an Intercontinental Championship match:

- Jay White vs. Goto for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship
    - KENTA vs. Ishii for the NEVER Openweight Championship
    - Naito vs. Taichi
    - Okada and YOSHI-HASHI vs. Ibushi and Tanahashi

it was funny because when the press conference was announced, some on twitter myself included was expecting some big surprise but that didn't really happen.

The Brain
    Maybe they'll try to do something special with the multi-man match? If I recall correctly Fujinami was in some very highly regarded elimination matches with New Japan in the 80s, so they may be harkening back to that.

Maybe I'm just WWE conditioned, but there's a huge part of me that expects whichever major heel is important for the next year of NJPW to attack Liger at his retirement ceremony. I really hope that doesn't happen, but I'm kind of conditioned to expect it.

Oh God, I hope not.

There was a tweet by New Japan a couple of days ago that had a quote by Hiromu Takahashi about Liger. It doesn't mean that he'll be Liger's last opponent, but if he is that would be something I'd want to see.

The Brain
    Having Hiromu Takahashi back in any capacity would be great. Poor guy, sucks that he's been on the shelf so long.

HIROMU IS BACK! He won't be Liger's last opponent, though. But having him go for the Junior Heavyweight title has me pretty psyched. Ospreay has been killing it this year so I'm really looking forward to that matchup.

Having Jericho announced back was also fun. I've already read a couple of people complaining about this one but I personally think that it'll be better than his match this year against Okada.

Seeing KENTA attack Shibata again makes me wonder if Shibata is ready for a comeback. Even if it's a one-off from Shibata, I'll be excited.

The ending of the show makes it seem like they're for sure going with the Heavyweight champ vs. Intercontinental champ match for the second night's main event. The whole storyline is really grabbing my attention. Will Okada prove that there's no one that can top him? Will Ibushi finally get his due in New Japan? Will Naito finally get to complete his redemption arc? Will Jay White shock the world again? It's going to be an interesting two nights, for sure.

Power Struggle was a fun show and contained a lot of good setups for Wrestle Kingdom. I can't wait until January.

YES!

I'm so glad. So, so happy.

And if my motherfucker Shibata is coming back to fuck KENTA's mother - holy shit.

The Brain
    Last I heard he was still a no go for a match but who knows what can happen in wrestling these days? Even if he just came back for a tag match, that'd be something. Just no headbutts please, now and forever.

So clue in a guy who isn't following New Japan so closely, what did my man Hiromu Takahashi do on his first night back?

Ran around and did bumps. Was basically a madman

Yeah, I must admit I had those early Daniel Bryan feeling watching Hiromu return - be careful with your neck, Hiromu, your head needs to stay attached etc etc.

Hey, the double title thing at Wrestle Kingdom is now official - https://www.njpw1972.com/64608

The main event of the second night at Wrestle Kingdom 14 on January 5 has been set, as a historic double championship match will determine the first ever dual IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Champion.

The first dual title match to take place in the Tokyo Dome since Shinsuke Nakamura unified the IWGP and NWF Championships in 2004, the match will put an end to months of speculation as Kota Ibushi, Tetsuya Naito, Jay White and Kazuchika Okada all vie to determine just who is the ‘strongest and the best’ in professional wrestling today. The winners of January 4’s IWGP Intercontinental and Heavyweight Championships will collide in one winner-take-all match that will see one man’s name etched in the history books forever; a main event fitting of the ‘pinnacle of strength and birthplace of legend’.

Also announced for January 5 is a singles bout between the two former champions after the first night of Wrestle Kingdom. Far from being a consolation prize, this match will be crucial in determining the pace for 2020, and could keep one participant in the main event conversation for the weeks to come.

Another match signed as a result of Power Struggle events is a singles match between Hiroshi Tanahashi and Chris Jericho. After Dominion in Osaka saw Kazuchika Okada surprise ‘Painmaker’ Jericho to retain his IWGP Heavyweight Championship, Jericho went off the rails with a vicious attack on Okada. Tanahashi, who was commentating ringside, leaped to Okada’s aid, but Jericho made his exit vowing that things weren’t over between he and ‘Bakahashi’.

A long and tense silence followed, but was broken November 3 at Power Struggle. After Tanahashi and Kota Ibushi defeated Okada and YOSHI-HASHI, a video aired that saw Jericho challenge the Ace for January 5, and promising a ‘classic match… and your last match’. Tanahashi readily accepted the challenge, but warned he was far from done; the man who can rightfully be called ‘Mr. Tokyo Dome’ will look to prove that point January 5, but will have his work cut out against the wildly unpredictable Jericho.

These matches join a clash for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championships between champions Taiji Ishimori and El Phantasmo and Super Junior Tag League winners, Roppongi 3K. This will serve as a rubber match between two teams that are 1-1 in 2019; in June, the BULLET CLUB tandem defeated then champions SHO and YOH to lift the titles. At the end of the Super Jr. Tag League however, Ishimori and ELP blamed ‘erroneous reporting’ on giving them a false sense of security; one that led to SHO and YOH scooping the win. In revenge, the two attacked Roppongi 3K after they won the 2019 tag league at Power Struggle, and stole their trophies; the fact remains however that SHO and YOH are three time winners of the autumn junior tag tournament, and will look to convert that to championship success on January 5.

All this, plus Jyushin Thunder Liger wrestles his last match, and much more action is still to be announced on what will be an epoch defining night in pro-wrestling history!
    So it's Naito vs White for the IC title and Okada vs Ibushi for the Heavyweight title on night one, and the two winners against each other on night two.

That's huge, just what the event needed for two nights at the Tokyo Dome. It's also smart considering that they're going to have New Beginning at Osaka-jo Hall just a month later. Having the first dual champion defend the title there will definitely help them draw a full house there. Or at least that's what I hope for since I plan on being there.

I wonder how they're going to split up the remaining title matches. My guess is the 6-man, and both the Junior Heavyweight and Heavyweight tag team titles on night 1, and the NEVER Openweight and Junior Heavyweight title on night 2. I also wonder what the existing champs do on the night they're not defending. It'll be interesting to see the structure of the card.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:34 AM.

This is very interesting.

I feel that this is Naito's year, man. He's the one that started this whole quest to hold both titles, he fell to Okada two years ago and has that loss to avenge or could go out there in another crazy match with Ibushi.

The only question is whether or not they'd have Ibushi beat Okada and lost the next night. It's a big character development moment for Ibushi for him to come all that way only to lose at the last moment.

The Brain
    I think one appealing piece of the puzzle is any of the four could believably walk away with it all. The vibe around Naito is he's overdue but the vibe I get on Ibushi is that the time is now to solidify a new top star. You can never bet against Okada in New Japan, and nobody expected White to win the first time so he could pull out the shocker again. It'll be super interesting to see the results.

White's also the corporate guy with Gedo on his side, which is how Okada started out of course. There's a small part of me that wants White to take back to back wins in the dirtiest, cheatiest way possible and just be an utter dick about it.

Honestly though, I do think this could be Naito's time - feels like we've said that for 24-36 months now. If I had to bet on it, I'd say they go with Naito over White and Okada over Ibushi, with Naito over Okada on night 2. But in the Heavyweight match I'd say it was a very 50/50 call as to who wins.

The Brain
    The only Night 2 outcome I can't really imagine is White/Okada. Really feels like anything else could be on the table. Wonder if they'll do an exhibition between the two losers to round out the card?

That's already part of the official card. The two wrestlers who lose their respective championship bouts will face each other on Night 2.

Every time I think I have a good reason for one of the four main event participants winning, it feels like all other reasons are on equal ground. This is probably one of the toughest set of matches to call ever.

Instead, I'm going to rank them by who I think has the highest chance to win it all:

1) Ibushi: I can't shake the feeling that making him the first dual champ will be his reward for sticking around.
    2) Okada: Probably a "1A" pick here - it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him win it all to cement his legacy in the company.
    3) Naito: A lot of fans want this one so bad. But I think there's a low chance of it happening, unfortunately.
    4) White: He's a huge part of New Japan's present and future. Still, I find it hard to believe that they will give the first dual champ spot to a non-Japanese talent.