Retired Wrestlers

Writing my latest entry in YES Relived I realised how much I missed Edge (he is a guest star on the Raw for the week I'm watching).

It was a feud between him and Batista that originally got me interested in wrestling, I hated him at the time but only because he was such a damn good heel. A pure heel too, who wasn't afraid to look weak to get boos, no tough cool guy about him (although he probably could have played that if he wanted).

If he could have wrestled at the time imagine if he had been in Orton's place in The Authority, almost like La Familia mk.2

Anywho, do you share my love for Edge? Who do you miss?

Go to Hell for Heaven's Sake! CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    I do miss Edge dearly now that you mentioned it... I don't know how the general population on LOP will perceive this but I genuinely miss Chris Benoit the wrestler. He made everything simple look powerful and everything he did was fluid, crisp and destructive. He has doing strong style before that became a t-shirt on PWTees. He innovated violence, mat wrestling, his technical prowess was off the charts and he wouldn't allow his opponents to diminish his matches quality.

I feel guilty sometimes about flaunting my love for the wrestler because as i grow older, I understand more so why he's black listed from history but I grew up watching him so it feels like a forced Mandela effect that went wrong because there is still recorded history of him.

His body of work speaks for itself, I mean every generic spot done with a ladder today was most likely created by or innovations from the Benoit versus Jericho match from Royal Rumble 2001.

Someday I hope people can talk about Chris Benoit even if it has to be with a similarly sad undertone like with the Von Erich family. I can't recall one conversation about them on the Internet that didn't involve a death or suicide reference somewhere.

I am a full fledged home country mark, I love almost all Canadian wrestlers just because I know how hard most of them have worked for the opportunities and they always have to leave everything they know behind and move to a different country to be successful. Seems like every Canadian that wants to make it has to sacrifice free health care to wrestle which is so fucking messed up now that I say that... sans every Hart family member.

SirSam do you have any home town countryman that you miss competing?

Well the hometown options are Nathan Jones and Emma for me so despite being sad Emma never really made it to her full potential I can't say I have one that I truly miss.

On Benoit I vary wildly. After getting into wrestling in 2008 I very quickly became a big Benoit fan but have at times really not wanted to have anything to do with watching his matches. I think I've come back around on him as I've learnt more about brain injuries and how they can truly screw someone up. Wrestling wise it is hard not to admire his intensity and commitment to realism. Watching him selling his arm in first mitb is absolutely amazing, he was an utter perfectionist when it came to those things. I also loved his Royal Rumble victory, he was so believable in that coast to coast spot and did it with none of the lying around that Mysterio would try to get away with a few years later. His tenacity while eliminating Big Show in that final moment was so cool to see, he made it look like a true struggle not a preplanned spot.

What's your fav Benoit match Cripple?