Retired Wrestlers

Writing my latest entry in YES Relived I realised how much I missed Edge (he is a guest star on the Raw for the week I'm watching).

It was a feud between him and Batista that originally got me interested in wrestling, I hated him at the time but only because he was such a damn good heel. A pure heel too, who wasn't afraid to look weak to get boos, no tough cool guy about him (although he probably could have played that if he wanted).

If he could have wrestled at the time imagine if he had been in Orton's place in The Authority, almost like La Familia mk.2

Anywho, do you share my love for Edge? Who do you miss?

People either love me, hate me, or they don't care CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    I do miss Edge dearly now that you mentioned it... I don't know how the general population on LOP will perceive this but I genuinely miss Chris Benoit the wrestler. He made everything simple look powerful and everything he did was fluid, crisp and destructive. He has doing strong style before that became a t-shirt on PWTees. He innovated violence, mat wrestling, his technical prowess was off the charts and he wouldn't allow his opponents to diminish his matches quality.

I feel guilty sometimes about flaunting my love for the wrestler because as i grow older, I understand more so why he's black listed from history but I grew up watching him so it feels like a forced Mandela effect that went wrong because there is still recorded history of him.

His body of work speaks for itself, I mean every generic spot done with a ladder today was most likely created by or innovations from the Benoit versus Jericho match from Royal Rumble 2001.

Someday I hope people can talk about Chris Benoit even if it has to be with a similarly sad undertone like with the Von Erich family. I can't recall one conversation about them on the Internet that didn't involve a death or suicide reference somewhere.

I am a full fledged home country mark, I love almost all Canadian wrestlers just because I know how hard most of them have worked for the opportunities and they always have to leave everything they know behind and move to a different country to be successful. Seems like every Canadian that wants to make it has to sacrifice free health care to wrestle which is so fucking messed up now that I say that... sans every Hart family member.

SirSam do you have any home town countryman that you miss competing?

Well the hometown options are Nathan Jones and Emma for me so despite being sad Emma never really made it to her full potential I can't say I have one that I truly miss.

On Benoit I vary wildly. After getting into wrestling in 2008 I very quickly became a big Benoit fan but have at times really not wanted to have anything to do with watching his matches. I think I've come back around on him as I've learnt more about brain injuries and how they can truly screw someone up. Wrestling wise it is hard not to admire his intensity and commitment to realism. Watching him selling his arm in first mitb is absolutely amazing, he was an utter perfectionist when it came to those things. I also loved his Royal Rumble victory, he was so believable in that coast to coast spot and did it with none of the lying around that Mysterio would try to get away with a few years later. His tenacity while eliminating Big Show in that final moment was so cool to see, he made it look like a true struggle not a preplanned spot.

What's your fav Benoit match Cripple?

The Brain
    Time and perspective has revealed some of his flaws to me, but count me in with those who miss Edge. The things he did well he did very well, and he brought a lot of energy and effort to his storylines. You never felt like he was just another guy, he always leaned into whatever angle they were doing, even if it was something stupid (I have nightmares about him trying to start "Spear!" chants in 2010). I admit I only have a vague memory of Batista and Edge feuding, both guys seemed to have better feuds with Undertaker on either side of that one, but there was a time when they were totally holding down Smackdown together that I do remember fondly when I think back.

I'm also a fan of Benoit the performer, so I get where you're coming from. He was one of my favorite wrestlers and his road to the world title in 03/04 remains one of the best told stories I've seen in wrestling. But I don't think there'll be a time when we talk about him without referencing the end of his life, and honestly I don't think there should be. It's just too big and I think it'd be disrespectful to discard the memory of Nancy and Daniel. Believe me, I understand all too well the desire to just talk about Benoit and have fun again, and I think we can still do that to some extent, but the ghost of the tragedy will always cling.

Sam, if you get a chance to see what Emma (AKA Tenille Dashwood) is doing on the independent scene, you really should check it out. She's been killing it in a lot of different places and I couldn't be happier for her!

As for the subject itself, I don't even know where to begin! Probably the most immediate one is CM Punk. I always liked him a lot, he was never my #1 favorite but he didn't even have to be, because after 2011 he represented something bigger than himself, an independent mind and spirit that I really do miss. If the rumors of him being part of All In are true, I'm going to be ecstatic.

I miss Eddie. More than any other wrestler ever. And yes, it can still get me teary.

I miss Booker T as a wrestler. I miss Shawn Michaels. And I do miss The Rock. Booker T was just fun to watch in feuds and in the ring. I always feel he was underrated. HBK was performing world class matches and retired too soon. The Rock was my favorite attitude era wrestler bar none. I'd love his mic work in today's product with a bit of actual passion still left.

The Brain
    We all miss Eddie, for sure. What makes it extra sad is he was arguably in the middle of his best run ever, he had put together all the pieces he'd always had and was one of the best out there when he suddenly passed.

I definitely miss Booker T the wrestler after having just recently watched through his WCW stuff. Dude could have been a much bigger star, but WWF was never going to go all in on a guy who had been with the competition all the way to the end.

I miss classic Rock the most, his stuff this decade just hasn't felt the same at all. I get it, he's a different guy and it's a different environment, but still.

My favorite match by him would either be his 2003 Rumble match against Kurt Angle or his 2001 ladder match against Jericho at Royal Rumble. Being only 9 when I watched WM20 I never understood the importance of that victory until much later in life but it's one of those matches I can't call my favorite because it always seems to take a while for me to invest in it even though I'll inevitably have to try and hold bact tears by pozt match celebration time.

so you're an Australian then? That's pretty awesome, I envy you sir...Sam...
    Since you started with Edge, I'm going to ask how you feel about Christian retiring unceremoniously without recognition. Think they should have given him more opportunities between 2011-2014?
    Thoughts on Gangrel deserving more or less than what he got?

Another guy I always wished was successful in the business was Jerry F'N Lynn. I hsve no idea where this surfaces from before ECW but holy hell is his bldy of work incredible or whaf? I would have given a shit about ?.. EV.2.0 I think it was if they at least gave the World Title to Lynn instead of doing another Lynn versus RVD match a decade later. That's a man along with Amazing Red, Sonjay Dutt, Tyson Dux and Christopher Daniels that would've had a better more financially successful career if NXT if they were all young lion's today instead of rugged veterans

The Brain
    Christian retiring quietly is unfortunate but nobody's fault, I think. Injuries just caught up with the guy in a bad way. I do think they could have let him ride the babyface wave longer in 2011 before transitioning to that great Orton series, but overall he's always have that great year to point to. After that they went a little too hard no the "one more match" thing but it could have gone somewhere if the injuries hadn't piled up. I'll always be a big fan of the guy though, takes balls to walk out on WWE and make your name bigger in TNA, then come back and have more success. His run in WWECW, quietly having great matches with just about everyone he came in contact with, is a hell of a run.

I feel like they could have done more with Gangrel, who isn't retired and still periodically puts in a good performance in random indy promotions. I doubt he could have even gone to the world title in any era, but he wasn't bad at all in the ring and could do some fun stuff if needed. I think his look worked against him more than anything.

Jerry Lynn is, of course, a hell of a good shout. His ECW and early TNA stuff is great to see, and even before that he has some worthwhile stuff as Mr JL, to say nothing of working Michinoku Pro or even in the early 90s working GWF with a very young Sean Waltman and already being impressive. I think putting a top title on him by the time EV2.0 came around would have been too much, ROH tried him as world champ in '09 and it didn't go well as it was just too late, but he was still a hell of a talent in his prime.