The Mixtape Thread

I've been in the mood to listen to some music lately. I'm always in that mood, honestly, but I specifically mean in the car. I think I'm getting almost burned out on constantly listening to podcasts.

Anywho, since I'm old and stuff and still enjoy the wonderfully expressive process of creating a playlist and then painfully whittling it down to fit on a CD, I just made a mix CD. It's been awhile since I did so, probably 5 or 6 months (if you don't count the Type O compilation I made a few weeks ago when I was in a heavy TON mood).

It came out kinda weird, as my musical interests at moment are all over the place. I figured I'd list it off just for fun.

The Future - Leonard Cohen
    Halo On Fire - Metallica
    Cryin' - Aerosmith
    Breaking the Chains - Dokken
    Gotta Get Away - The Offspring
    Everything You Know Is Wrong - Weird Al Yankovic
    The Ballad of Gordon - Barenaked Ladies
    Pinch Me - Barenaked Ladies
    If I Had A Million Dollars - Barenaked Ladies
    Keep Fishin' - Weezer
    Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
    Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
    Rolling In The Deep - Adele
    Rehab - Amy Winehouse
    Do You Believe In Love - Huey Lewis & The News
    Friday I'm In Love - The Cure
    Hanging By A Moment - Lifehouse
    You and Me - Lifehouse
    Since You've Been Gone - Weird Al Yankovic
    Forgot About Dre - Dr. Dre featuring Eminem

Really weird mix. The Forgot About Dre song is there to troll future me, as I tend to end CDs with random short songs just to take up the extra space. So future me will hear Since You've Been Gone and expect it to be the end, only to hear the familiar opening strains of Forgot About Dre and get all excited so I can sing along and stuff.

I have no idea why there are two Lifehouse songs. They've both just been in my head for a couple weeks so I figured fuck it, slap 'em on a CD. I haven't listened to either song in at least 5 years, if not longer. I guess I'm feeling a bit melodramatic.

As to the Barenaked Ladies run midway through, I recently watched their reunion performance at the Juno Awards on YouTube and it made me remember how much I really enjoyed a handful of their songs. The Ballad of Gordon is actually a little song they wrote specifically for Fox Kids back in the day and used to play as a short music video about accepting others and embracing diversity on Saturday mornings. It was my introduction to the band and it's always had a soft spot with me.

I get the feeling that there's a very good chance that I'm the only guy on the entire board who still burns CDs. Just in case I'm not, though... how about you? Got a good mix you've been rocking? Maybe an old one you've recently run across? I've found that few things can be as interesting a peek into one's mindset as a mixtape. I often find old ones I haven't listened to in years and can put them on and dig on trying to figure out exactly what was on my mind at the time of its creation.

Any other old fucks still do this? Hell, anyone have any requests for mixes or something? I did used to do this professionally, after all.

I gave this a listen. Eclectic to say the least, just need some classic, musical and country and you would have covered just about every sphere of the music globe.

Fun listen none the less, I had not heard Pinch Me in years, had completely forgotten the existence of it and it was cool when it came up.

Even though it is fairly a random mix I do detect serious 90's, early 00's vibes from it.

I'll have to have a go putting together a mix tape. I dunno how you feel about The White Stripes but Clive and I both put together our own attempts at tours through their catalogue in the Jack White thread that kind of fits that build.

Haven't done it in years but I used to love a mix tape.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."