Rare/Underappreciated Promo Thread

Thinking a place where we can share promos that have flown under the radar, that maybe deserve a bit more love, could be shared.

I'm going to start with a weird one, since Dusty Rhodes is generally regarded as one of the greatest promos in the history of wrestling, but because 'Hard Times' tends to annihilate everything else in the popular memory I figure it's a good time to share some love for some of his others. This one from the build up to Starrcade '88 isn't perfect but it's still a real 'shut up and take my money' kinda deal. There's a recap first, so if you want to go straight to it skip in to 1:07.

My personal favourite Dusty promo was actually on the DVD set they released, and this is the first time I've been able to find a video online of it. I mean it's seriously dated now and you've got to try and see it in the context of the original promo, but if you can do this I think this is one of the best examples I've seen in a guy not selling a feud or a match, but in selling himself as a babyface, in just talking to the audience. I love the slightly knowing moment of '.... I drink a little whiskey and wine', particularly. Larger than life and real, genuinely human all at the same time.

Anyway, share any promos that you think need a bit more spotlight or to be appreciated more. And they don't even all have to be Dusty Rhodes.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Ah, both great promos. I do love Dusty. Funny how he got himself fired over that first one, or at least the angle surrounding it. And WOW, Tony was a lot more southern at that point than he'd sound later on. Fine tuning the Human Suit, no doubt. Love the empty arena one, you know he loved being able to play with that resounding echo to emphasize what he was saying.

This is a real favorite of mine, because it shows how free guys were in this era to just mess around if they felt like it would get their character across. I also find it very funny:

I also wanted to find the one where Nick Bockwinkel uses Ken Resnick as a dummy to show off his sleeper hold, but I couldn't dig it up sadly.

This promo from 2008. Watch and learn boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSHSzRCLNVg

"blue eyed soul"

That is a piece of magic, that Dusty promo. His charisma was just off the charts.

The Brain
    Chop sighting!! Long time no see!

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeFire View Post
    This promo from 2008. Watch and learn boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSHSzRCLNVg
    Haha, that's a classic. My mother became an Edge fan in that era (the soap-opera stuff with Vickie drew her in), and to this day she'll make bug eyes and say "I understand!" sometimes.

If we're talking about more recent stuff, I'm a huge fan of this one. If you've never seen an Eddie Kingston promo, do yourself a favor and check this one out.

That promo with Dusty and Vince in the empty arena was one of the best things I've seen in my life

It's just superb, isn't it?

I don't know how well known this stuff from early in Paul Heyman's career is, so I thought I'd share it on the off chance it is pretty rare. This is from Memphis which I guess would mean it'd have to be some time around March or April of 1987. I'm sure if you're that inclined you can track it down.

The Brain
    I honestly forgot Heyman even worked Memphis, so it'd fall under underappreciated if nothing else! The more I watch Heyman, the clearer it is that he modeled himself after Heenan, at least to a certain extent. A lot of his early mannerisms are very reminiscent, and even some of his more recent stuff reminds me of him a bit.

This is one that doesn't get a lot of talk (though obviously it gets some, based on the title of the video), but it's one of my favorite promos of the whole era:

Will have to take a look at that Regal one in a minute. He's an underrated promo generally, I believe. People generally acknowledge that he's good, but he's better than just good for my money.

Anyone ever seen this strange yet oddly compelling one from Dusty, from '81 or '82? Not sure exactly where this one was as I think the feud with Kabuki and Gary Hart played out across at least three territories...

EDIT: Just watched Regal.... bloody good, isn't it?
    Last edited by Prime Time; 06-15-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Just me at the moment. That's cool, I can find plenty of fun stuff to share by myself!

Before I got super into Dusty, my favourite promo was Jake Roberts - and to be honest they are still a clear 1-2 for me. Here's one of Jake from SMW. The only drawback to this is the fact that his quieter, breathy style is clearly playing havoc with the cheap equipment. Other than that it's pretty much perfect, and one that I'm guessing will be less well known than his WWF days.

The Brain
    Never saw that Dusty promo. It could have been a bit silly but Dusty gets it over, as always. Great stuff.

That Jake promo is brilliant, and it's a testament to Jake that I started typing that before I watched 20 seconds. Jake is in that top Arn Anderson level for me as a promo insofar as he always puts so much thought into his promos, every single one is different and compelling. I dream of a world where he wasn't derailed by his demons.

Don't know if this will be for everyone, but I absolutely adored stuff like this a few years back. Some people were down on the angle but through this stretch I thought it was about perfect and Bully Ray was on the top level. His delivery, his word choice, right down to the Taz reference at the end, so much good stuff going on here.

I don't know why people are down on that angle really. I mean yes, those kinds of things are overdone, but it was a pretty good example when it was done well. And Bully Ray was on the form of his career. I personally think he overused the 'do you know who I am line' in that run, and yes I know that's the way modern promos have trended but he's good enough to have gotten by without it and being more sparing with it would have made it more effective - but even so he was just hated in a way that almost no one else in wrestling can manage nowadays. And you know I'm all for a heel being a heel.

Here's one that is beautiful but that seems to run contrary to the guidelines of contemporary wrestling: a definite example of how to get the most out of the least from Ray Stevens!

Nice to shine a light on some people not necessarily thought of immediately as great interviews. I liked this one from 'Mr Wonderful' Paul Orndorff, and not just because he gets Mean Gene to corpse just near the end.

The Brain
    I always forget Stevens worked WWWF, even though he was close with Patterson. I always think of him in AWA and maybe San Francisco. That "promo" is AMAZING, and not just because it shits all over Bellomo (who deserves it). Great, great find.

I LOVE that era of WWF promos, that 1985-ish era where they had very little direction but high production value. I love how well this shows how well Okerlund does as a straight man, he was so damn good in the role.

Just watched this one last night and absolutely loved it, might not be new to some but I never hear it referenced. It's from '91 Survivor Series and it features Jake Roberts saying he spoke to god and turns out he doesn't like Gene Okerlund! The Jake/Savage feud is one of the best promo feuds of all time, no doubt in my mind.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1md54i

Ooh yeah, I remember that one. Heel Jake is quite something. I mean, he's sinister enough as a damn baby!

Here's one that I think people might like. He actually breaks one of the golden rules at the end there but does it in a way that you don't even really care that much. And I think you can also see a few 'future echoes' of the Mankind gimmick in here.

The Brain
    Man, those ECW promos of Foley are damn chilling, ain't they?

This is a big favorite of mine. When they start bleeping stuff out, it somehow makes it so much better.

I recently saw some discussion about the Eddie Guerrero "addiction" promo in 2004 where he confronted Lesnar. Many people were on the wavelength that that was one of his best promos, if not the best promo Eddie ever did. My personal favorite promo of his, however, is when he explained why he turned on Rey Mysterio in 2005. Every time I watch this, I get major chills.

Must have a run through the last couple of posts in here at some point.

If we're talking about underappreciated, though, I don't think anyone suits that definition more nowadays than the Big Cat, Ernie Ladd. Top notch promo back in the day, and someone who should be in contention for the best talkers ever - especially when you factor in that at that point, if you didn't talk people into the arena you didn't make enough money to live. Here's one from what looks like the predecessor to Mid-South in around 1978.

The Brain
    Great picks there, guys. Eddie was such a great promo in those last few years, next level guy. Ernie Ladd is mad underrated, always love digging his stuff up when I can.

Hearing Ladd talk about Andre made me think of this angle, which we're covering soon for the Legacy Series. It's all great but my favorite bit is at the end, where Heenan is losing his mind about the heavy French accent on the supposedly Japanese Giant Machine.

If you like digging up Ernie Ladd, have you seen this video from Georgia? A couple of reasons why you might like it, in particular...

The Brain
    Shit, what a young Solie!

Rare to see Heenan in Georgia. Would love to dig up what he was up to down there a little more.

Another great Ladd promo, love the guy!

He did a little under a year there in '79, before the genius that is Ole Anderson fired him.

Here's a bit more from that run, which I think is rare enough to qualify for the thread:

Also a bit of Bob Armstrong and a match in there as bonuses, too.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 07-04-2018 at 07:27 PM.

The Brain
    Gonna file that away with my recommended matches list and check it out soon! Very cool, wish I'd have been able to dig up more of that kind stuff in the pre-WWF Heenan series. Covered AWA pretty solidly and did what I could with WWA but only a little outside of those.

A little long to call it a single promo, but I've rarely seen it discussed so I'm gonna call it underappreciated anyway. The interaction between Heenan, Rude, and Piper here is just absolute solid gold.

Bully Ray was fuckin' boss. Miss that era.

I love this one because they both had the flu.

The Brain
    Adonis & Murdoch!! This is a team I want to see so much more of. The crowd reaction when Murdoch says they had the flu is spectacular. Adonis had the Taiwan Flu! 104 degree fever, my god!

I'll file this under underappreciated. I feel like it was shat on at the time, but I absolutely love this match and this moment. The perfect way for the JBL character to go out. I'll have to dig up more JBL stuff when I get the chance, I absolutely loved him when he was wrestling.

Here is one from Ric Flair..During this time he was just doing sick promos altogether....so for most of it, if you know his work around 87, it doesn't stand out...but he actually calls I think either Terry Taylor or Ronnie Garvin "fat women" LOL...to me this era was Flair's best mic work....when he was blading himself in TNA promos, all I ever wanted him to fo was more of this stuff.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 07-10-2018 at 08:31 AM.

The Brain
    Man, it's easy to forget just how unbelievably good 80s Flair is. I'm watching his WWF run now and it's really good, but it's not as good as this. This was Flair in his element, Flair in the suit, Flair as secure as he ever got.

Just realized there's no Arn in this thread! Time to fix that! They should have used battery acid!!!

Here's a couple of minutes of Memphis TV, some words from Bill Dundee, and a chance to see Paul Ellering in more of a 'wrestler' capacity (rare enough for anyone who became a fan after, say, 1983) - all hosted by the great Lance Russell, who died less than a year ago.

Here's something a bit more contemporary. It's Raven in WCW, and if the date is right this is three days before his in-ring debut at COTC 35.

I absolutely loved Raven’s early WCW promos when I was a teen. (Before the whole “What about me? What about Raven?” got way overplayed.) Years later while driving down the road, the Goo Goo Dolls came on the radio and the line “scars are souvenirs you never lose; the past is never far” was in the song. I chuckled to myself when I realized that Raven wasn’t quite as original with his promos as I had thought all those years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Man, it's easy to forget just how unbelievably good 80s Flair is. I'm watching his WWF run now and it's really good, but it's not as good as this. This was Flair in his element, Flair in the suit, Flair as secure as he ever got.

Just realized there's no Arn in this thread! Time to fix that! They should have used battery acid!!!

Believe I wrote a column on this way back when. Arn did great work in that manager role for the Horsemen during that run.

The Brain
    You did, and it was great!!

Definitely gotta catch up with this thread when I have time. That Ellering one looks particularly interesting!

Jim Cornette. Without even saying a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chop View Post
    Believe I wrote a column on this way back when. Arn did great work in that manager role for the Horsemen during that run.
    I used to walk around the house quoting this promo as a young man. (Not the only Arn promo that had that effect on me.) And I remember the column as well!

Damn, Shee, I had forgotten that promo (Ah, yeah the point of this thread!).

Looks like Michaels had to beware of more than dog.

Alright, I'll show myself out now.
    Last edited by Mystic; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:17 AM.

The Brain
    Aw, I watched that match recently and was very disappointed. Cornette though!!

https://youtu.be/fCIgLQGruvs

My man, Ole Anderson. Kind of lost these days on wrestling fans what a great mastermind heel and tag wrestler he was.

Love this fued with Dusty..."It will never ova!"

This video contains fine Ole heel work, a chilling Dusty promo, and a quite funny Russian Bear analysis.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:11 AM.

Ole hates Dusty so much! A wee Wrecking Crew Gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fh9ZE7gUEM

"Anything that bleeds, I can beat!" - Arn rules

Last edited by Mr Chop; 1 Week Ago at 03:51 AM.

What a treasure, Dusty interviewing Arn. As a chid watching that and not knowing their history, I see it much different now than then. I think Dusty set him up to give that interview like he was confident he was gonna do something he never did, fight and win for himself. Then, Dusty ended it with "let me tell you that remains to be seen."

Lol