Rare/Underappreciated Promo Thread

Thinking a place where we can share promos that have flown under the radar, that maybe deserve a bit more love, could be shared.

I'm going to start with a weird one, since Dusty Rhodes is generally regarded as one of the greatest promos in the history of wrestling, but because 'Hard Times' tends to annihilate everything else in the popular memory I figure it's a good time to share some love for some of his others. This one from the build up to Starrcade '88 isn't perfect but it's still a real 'shut up and take my money' kinda deal. There's a recap first, so if you want to go straight to it skip in to 1:07.

My personal favourite Dusty promo was actually on the DVD set they released, and this is the first time I've been able to find a video online of it. I mean it's seriously dated now and you've got to try and see it in the context of the original promo, but if you can do this I think this is one of the best examples I've seen in a guy not selling a feud or a match, but in selling himself as a babyface, in just talking to the audience. I love the slightly knowing moment of '.... I drink a little whiskey and wine', particularly. Larger than life and real, genuinely human all at the same time.

Anyway, share any promos that you think need a bit more spotlight or to be appreciated more. And they don't even all have to be Dusty Rhodes.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Ah, both great promos. I do love Dusty. Funny how he got himself fired over that first one, or at least the angle surrounding it. And WOW, Tony was a lot more southern at that point than he'd sound later on. Fine tuning the Human Suit, no doubt. Love the empty arena one, you know he loved being able to play with that resounding echo to emphasize what he was saying.

This is a real favorite of mine, because it shows how free guys were in this era to just mess around if they felt like it would get their character across. I also find it very funny:

I also wanted to find the one where Nick Bockwinkel uses Ken Resnick as a dummy to show off his sleeper hold, but I couldn't dig it up sadly.

This promo from 2008. Watch and learn boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSHSzRCLNVg

"blue eyed soul"

That is a piece of magic, that Dusty promo. His charisma was just off the charts.

The Brain
    Chop sighting!! Long time no see!

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeFire View Post
    This promo from 2008. Watch and learn boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSHSzRCLNVg
    Haha, that's a classic. My mother became an Edge fan in that era (the soap-opera stuff with Vickie drew her in), and to this day she'll make bug eyes and say "I understand!" sometimes.

If we're talking about more recent stuff, I'm a huge fan of this one. If you've never seen an Eddie Kingston promo, do yourself a favor and check this one out.

That promo with Dusty and Vince in the empty arena was one of the best things I've seen in my life

It's just superb, isn't it?

I don't know how well known this stuff from early in Paul Heyman's career is, so I thought I'd share it on the off chance it is pretty rare. This is from Memphis which I guess would mean it'd have to be some time around March or April of 1987. I'm sure if you're that inclined you can track it down.

The Brain
    I honestly forgot Heyman even worked Memphis, so it'd fall under underappreciated if nothing else! The more I watch Heyman, the clearer it is that he modeled himself after Heenan, at least to a certain extent. A lot of his early mannerisms are very reminiscent, and even some of his more recent stuff reminds me of him a bit.

This is one that doesn't get a lot of talk (though obviously it gets some, based on the title of the video), but it's one of my favorite promos of the whole era:

Will have to take a look at that Regal one in a minute. He's an underrated promo generally, I believe. People generally acknowledge that he's good, but he's better than just good for my money.

Anyone ever seen this strange yet oddly compelling one from Dusty, from '81 or '82? Not sure exactly where this one was as I think the feud with Kabuki and Gary Hart played out across at least three territories...

EDIT: Just watched Regal.... bloody good, isn't it?
    Last edited by Prime Time; 6 Days Ago at 12:47 PM.

Just me at the moment. That's cool, I can find plenty of fun stuff to share by myself!

Before I got super into Dusty, my favourite promo was Jake Roberts - and to be honest they are still a clear 1-2 for me. Here's one of Jake from SMW. The only drawback to this is the fact that his quieter, breathy style is clearly playing havoc with the cheap equipment. Other than that it's pretty much perfect, and one that I'm guessing will be less well known than his WWF days.

The Brain
    Never saw that Dusty promo. It could have been a bit silly but Dusty gets it over, as always. Great stuff.

That Jake promo is brilliant, and it's a testament to Jake that I started typing that before I watched 20 seconds. Jake is in that top Arn Anderson level for me as a promo insofar as he always puts so much thought into his promos, every single one is different and compelling. I dream of a world where he wasn't derailed by his demons.

Don't know if this will be for everyone, but I absolutely adored stuff like this a few years back. Some people were down on the angle but through this stretch I thought it was about perfect and Bully Ray was on the top level. His delivery, his word choice, right down to the Taz reference at the end, so much good stuff going on here.