Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This is pretty awesome, just one of a bunch of great promos I have seen from Funk in my WCW rewatch. Middle aged and crazy indeed.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Damn, but that's good! Funk was magic during that run.

Speaking of, anyone remember his interview segment on the NWA Power Hour?

Nothing else in here so just going to share a bit more classic Terry.

Love the amount of Funker in here.

The Brain
    More Terry Funk is always very welcome!

Bit of a change in gears here: I can't find a specific promo online that really does it justice but I've been watching some old Mid-Atlantic and Ron Bass was a bit of an underappreciated promo. They give him time week on week and he delivers well and is always pretty engaging. I kinda wish I could find something that showed that in a good light but nothing I've hit sat here has done it. Best bet is to check out some of the archives on the network.

Of course, this could also be because I'd just watched Vince McMahon interview Tony Garea and everything looks better by comparison. Good grief.

The Brain
    Garea is underrated in the ring for my money, but yeah not much of a promo...

Bass never really amounted to anything in his WWF run but I'm not shocked that he was a bit better elsewhere, particularly on the mic. He certainly had enthusiasm at the very least!

My experience of watching All-Star in the 1970s is there's a lot of steak but the sizzle is really at a bit of a premium. Very few guys other than the managers have been good interviews. Garea probably isn't that much worse than the average, to be fair. Still, it was a successful territory, so clearly that was all they needed to be.

It's interesting on Bass, because everything I've found to share he's been screaming and bloviating, but in some of the stuff in the WWE vault he comes across as a far more charismatic figure when he just... talks. And they give him a spot most weeks and he's just really quietly quite good at it. I suspect that at 38 and from Arkansas, he's just that bit too old and that bit too Southern to feature heavily in Vince's national vision.

Y'know who else I've noticed is a bit of an underappreciated promo lately? King Kong Bundy.

The Brain
    Yes, absolutely agree with that one! It's hard to think of a way Bundy isn't underrated though. Dude was great fun.

I don't know if it's rare but it sure is good. "It's been your pleasure, as usual!"

The Brain
    Chop!! Gonna watch that one RIGHT NOW!!

Gah, Tony with a mullet and a mustache! They had some work to do on the Human Suit, I see.

Man, Tully is over as hell.

You got another check to cancel or something??

Ha, he wasn't phased by the lumberjacks, but the belts got him!

WHAT HAPPENED TO WRESTLING, cries Arn Anderson!

Regroup, counsels Arn. I love it.

Tully wants the boss to come down with a belt and catch Ricky Morton in his lap!!

Christ, I love Tully and Arn. Everything they do is amazing.

That's a grade a, top 10, shut up and take my money.

Tully was so fucking good. When he starts rubbing his hands, psyching himself up. I LOVE IT! Like Prime says - Take My Money.

Edit: Arns distaste for gimmick matches cracks me up!
    Last edited by Mr Chop; 11-17-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Speaking of Andersons, he tends to get most of the love nowadays and has become a bit of an avuncular figure over the years, which might partly explain it. But I've been watching some early 1980s stuff lately, and I think Ole Anderson flies under the radar as a terrific promo nowadays. He's maybe even that bit better than Arn because he can do the whole 'sell the angle without raising your voice' thing. Makes me wonder if he's not remembered well because.... well, pretty much every story I've ever heard makes him sound like an asshole!

But yeah, he's consistently entertaining in the stuff I'm seeing. It's 35+ years later and I genuinely don't like him!

The Brain
    Ole definitely suffers from being known mostly for contributing to some bad stuff in the early 90s and basically alienating everyone in wrestling. But everything I've seen in his prime is very entertaining, it just happens to mostly happen before the point in history where most fans stop when going back to watch older stuff.

Anything I've seen from Ole has been great. He's definitely not flashy but he sells toughness well. And any time he talks about Dusty you really buy hate. When I started seeing his stuff I was very surprised he wasn't talked about more. A lot of the early Horsemen stuff has him in a very leadership style role, when Flair was still the brash young champion figure.

I think that's what is so great, they have to really sell the animosity in these early 1980s promos I'm watching. They can't just trust that they can get by on people liking their style. Watching Ole with Sarge and Piper a lot. Slaughter is more of an in-ring talent to be honest and I'm not totally into the promo style (though it gets the desired response I guess) but Ole is so unlikeable, and Piper at this point is just on another plane. I can't call him underrated, of course, but still, it's worth saying.

The Brain
    Is Slaughter still mostly just shouting about maggots in that era? I ended up liking him a lot more than I expected in the ring but yeah, his promos got to be a chore in '91.

Yeah take out all the references to Iraq and it is basically the same act. But he's much better as a wrestler than his old man run made me believe. You ever see the 'hidden gem' they put on the Network with him and Pat Patterson?

One of his major antagonists at this moment I'm watching is a young Jake Roberts, who you can tell is still learning the craft. Developing that familiar style, but he's still more cowboy than cold-blooded.

The Brain
    Haven't seen the PAtterson match, I take it it's worth seeking out? I've heard he had some bangers with the Iron Sheik as well before WWF kicked him out the door.

What's your take on Jake the wrestler, Pete? I love him as an overall performer and of course as a promo he's one of the best, but his matches can be a bit underwhelming, especially if there's no character hook (which, granted, he was great at figuring out a way to include).

Jake... I don't think you'd ever say he was great, but he was good at character stuff in the ring, throwing in little details you could hook on to, and building sympathy (both for himself or his opponent, as needed). So he was good at making a lot out of not very much, but I'm not sure he ever even really wanted to do much more than that.

And yeah, the Pat/Sarge one is worth a look.

Some great stuff from The Stinger.

Piper just smashing a bottle in his own face.

I love both of those, but if that Piper thing ain't one of the damnedest things I've ever seen. I know exactly how I'd reacted to that a generation ago. How the hell are you supposed to beat a guy who'll do that to himself, and stand there talking to you while the blood runs down his face?!

And my next reaction would be to buy a ticket.

A little bit of , old school, Babyface Flair

The Brain
    Jesus Christ, what an angle and promo!! You could book 6 months on the house show circuit just on that segment alone. Freaking amazing Chop, awesome find!!

I love a "bounty" angle. Shitty heels trying to murder someone just for cash, what's not to hate!

The Brain
    Oh for sure, the very first angle I saw on Raw was Triple H putting a bounty on Goldberg and even that was awesome. Heenan putting a bounty on Orndorff is also a favorite.

Man, that promo. That's the best Ric Flair babyface promo I've ever seen, holy god.

For you guys who grew up in the 1990s and caught Arn Anderson's run with the stud stable, did you know he was in the stud stable before the horsemen? Really funny interviews here with him and his group, including Ron Fuller. Arn's got a cool hat, too. They call Mr. Olympia pea head. They harp on that one, and at one point Arn asks how can he say he has a body, because he barely has a head.

Ron Fuller is Robert Fuller/Parker's brother. He was the original Tenesee Stud. Jimmy Golden is their cousin, and was later known as Bunkhouse Bunk.

Good stuff.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 06-25-2019 at 03:35 AM.

The Brain
    God, the Stud Stable won't leave me alone! In MLW, in the '94 WCW I'm watching, now this. Who knew that stable would have such longevity? Great find.

https://youtu.be/G0VgymgKGS8

Man, I always loved the song "the Wanderer". Wasn't until I saw this promo that I realized it was a prophecy!

So much Ric Flair wealth around this time!
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 08-03-2019 at 01:37 AM.

The Brain
    God, is there anything better than promos on that old NWA set?

Can't really call Savage rare or underappreciated, but this is one of his better ones from the way up, which I think was really the best promo run of his career.

The Brain
    Absolutely my favorite time for Savage promos. He was almost always fun but the raw energy and charisma through this whole period is just off the charts.

I'm going through all the WWE Network archives in chronological order, and am in late 1985 currently. And Macho Man's character work REALLY stands out. I was too young, and only got into WWF while he was a babyface, probably during the MegaPowers era (those are my earliest memories). But his introduction, how he worked the heel managers, introduced Elizabeth, did his promos, and the best highlights are his sitdown interviews with Vince and Lord Alfred on TNT have been the best part of all I've seen. He was a great heel, but you can see why he'd turn face eventually. He was teaming with Jesse Ventura for a bit and the way they complimented each other was astounding. Lots of this era's programming was lacking, but Macho Man really was a star in the making, and it's nice to watch organically after the fact.

The Brain
    I absolutely love the TNT segment just before the Elizabeth reveal where Heenan, Blassie, and Jimmy Hart are all trying to convince Savage to be their client.

Managers vying for a key free agent's talents is a great trope that you don't see anymore because of the lack of suitable managers. I'm just too young to remember them doing this with Savage, BUT, just a few years later they did they same thing with Bam Bam Bigelow when they brought him in and similarly he chose none of the above and brought Sir Oliver Humperdink in. Nowhere near the same effect, obviously, but if memory serves me correctly it was looking like Slick was all lined up to be Bigelow's manager and then they introduced Humperdink. Great TV with a great build and it made someone's arrival feel that much more special.

BK, closest we might get to that today is if all 3 TV brands for WWE have a GM who are looking to sign someone. Or maybe the Raw and SD GM are vying to sign an NXT talent... obviously not the same, but seems the most likely way we might reenact that awesomeness.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by BK-097 View Post
    Managers vying for a key free agent's talents is a great trope that you don't see anymore because of the lack of suitable managers. I'm just too young to remember them doing this with Savage, BUT, just a few years later they did they same thing with Bam Bam Bigelow when they brought him in and similarly he chose none of the above and brought Sir Oliver Humperdink in. Nowhere near the same effect, obviously, but if memory serves me correctly it was looking like Slick was all lined up to be Bigelow's manager and then they introduced Humperdink. Great TV with a great build and it made someone's arrival feel that much more special.
    Ah that's such good shit! I mean Humperdink never seemed like a good fit, but the angle itself was solid. Along the same line I remember when Andre dropped Heenan they made a show of all the other heel managers trying to acquire him, but since Andre was a face again one by one he turned them down and usually make fools of them in the process. He never even wrestled again in the WWF but it was still a fun angle while it lasted.