Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    My first impression of the tournament was that there were a lot of hoss teams thrown into the mix. I dig that a lot. It's probably the main advantage that All Japan has over most Japanese promotions nowadays, although unfortunately that leaves them with a rather poor Junior Heavyweight division.

Valetta was decent enough during his last tour with All Japan so I think he'll do well enough. From what I read it seems he hasn't had a whole lot of experience outside of very small and obscure promotions, so this tournament will hopefully help him with that. Teaming with someone as experienced as Tajiri and facing a lot of different teams in the span of a month should be great for anyone in that position.

In some other interesting news, All Japan is partnering up with Pro Wrestling Revolution, an independent promotion based in San Jose, CA, to hold tryouts in March 2019. I don't know if this is something they've done in the past or something new they're trying out, but I'm curious what comes out of it, for sure.

The Brain
    For sure, all the AJPW juniors stuff I've seen in the past few years has been very unremarkable. Just not their strong suit, it seems.

A US partner, huh? Probably won't lead to more than a few extra gaijins in the promotion but that's not a bad thing either. Could be some cool discoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    For sure, all the AJPW juniors stuff I've seen in the past few years has been very unremarkable. Just not their strong suit, it seems.
    Yep, this pretty much sums it up. Whenever All Japan has a Junior Heavyweight title match recently, I've given them a watch. But it's just not something that makes me want to seek out more. Not that they're bad by any stretch, but to me they don't do much to differentiate themselves from the heavyweights there. I'm not vouching for flips and crazy acrobatics all the time, but when they do the same as the rest of the roster it just makes them look like smaller rip-offs of their heavyweight counterparts. I just think that they need to help bolster that division, and if they don't care for it they should just cut the division out because it drags their shows a bit, in my opinion.

Speaking of that stuff, it was announced that Super Crazy will be part of the Lucha Fiesta shows that All Japan is putting together next month. I didn't even know he's still wrestling - his Wikipedia page only has info up to his NOAH run three years ago. That actually might be interesting to see, to be honest. They also announced a few other wrestlers from CMLL that will be making the tour (that I honestly don't know about because I don't follow Mexico's promotions at all):

- El Diamante
    - Sam Adonis
    - Ultimo Panda
    - Super Ciudadano

All Japan also announced a few of their 2019 Champion Carnival dates. The tournament will start on April 4 and run until April 29, and they'll have four Korakuen Hall shows during the tournament including the opening show and I believe the final three shows, which I'll take as a good sign that they're running so many shows there.

The Brain
    Super Crazy is actually still very active wrestling here and there all over the world, so that's not entirely surprising that he'd pop up. I haven't seen him recently but I'd be interested to so maybe that's something to check out. The only name on that list I know off the top of my head is Sam Adonis, brother of Corey Graves. He's pretty solid, not amazing from what I've seen but not a bad guy to have in. Gonna try to go to any of those Champion Carnival shows, Deg?

Ah, I knew I'd heard of Sam Adonis before! I don't see any Mexican wrestling at all so I'm completely unfamiliar about who's doing what there.

I wish I could travel to Tokyo for one of the Korakuen shows, but I'll definitely try to go to the Champion Carnival stop they'll most likely make in Osaka. The one I went to this year was really fun. I'm sure next year they'll have a good group of people again.

They'll have two shows in Osaka for the Real World Tag League tournament shows in December - I think I'll be going to one of them since they'll have a decent card that day: Doering/James vs. Nomura/Aoyagi, Violent Giants vs. Akiyama/Sekimoto, and Zeus/Bodyguard vs. Kento/Yoshitatsu. Should be a fun one.

The Brain
    If you want to check out a bit of Sam Adonis, he had a pretty good hair vs. hair match with the legendary Negro Casas earlier this year!

Thanks for sharing that, pretty cool to see Negro Casas still out putting out matches over there!

Yesterday was All Japan's big Yokohama show. It seems to have done okay, just one person shy of 2000 people. Although to be fair, it's a 5000-seat gym, so it was at 40% capacity. The production people did a decent job covering it up by keeping the arena mostly dark. I just had time to catch the title matches, which is what interested me the most.

Tajiri defended the TV championship against Rikidozan's grandson, Chikara Momota. It was okay for what it was, but Momota looked to be pretty green in the ring, despite apparently having four years of experience. He just looked very stiff and often felt like he was a bit lost on what to do next. Thankfully he was in the hands of a vet like Tajiri to steer that ship. Not sure if Momota will be around All Japan more often - hopefully he'll have a chance to improve there.

The Violent Giants (Shuji Ishikawa and Suwama) defeated the team of Kengo Mashimo and KAI in a solid match. I'm happy to see Ishikawa and Suwama seemingly okay after missing most of this tour with injuries. Outside of Ishikawa having a wrapped-up shoulder and arm, neither of them looked to be hurt. Mashimo and KAI have an interesting dynamic, more of a "everything you can I do, I can do better" vibe. I look forward to seeing more of them in the upcoming tournament.

In the main event, Kento Miyahara became the new Triple Crown Champion by defeating Zeus in a really good match. It's one of the longer All Japan main events in a while, clocking in at 34 minutes. It was a straight-up fight, and it had a big match feeling as well. It kinda had a feeling of an old-school type of title match. There were a few spots outside of the ring but almost everything was contained inside the ring. I like this match a lot, and I recommend it (although mizfan will probably dislike the number of Blackout knee strikes Miyahara hit - I stopped counting after 6). This is the Miyahara's fourth reign, tying Terry Gordy's number of reigns, and just behind Kawada (5), Misawa (5), and Suwama (6) in total number of title reigns. Considering he's still 29 years old, I'm sure he'll surpass those reigns, although I'm hoping he has a lengthy run this time around.

I'm not sure what will happen next, given that the next thing going on in All Japan is the Real World Tag League tournament. Maybe something will happen there to lead to a title defense in early 2019.

The Brain
    Had no idea Chikara was Rikidozan's grandson! I just watched my first Rikidozan match the other day, so that's an interesting connection.

Heard great things about Zeus/Kento, may have to seek that one out!

I recently caught TAJIRI vs. Super Crazy for the TV Championship from last week. It's crazy that these two guys from the original ECW are still battling it out in 2018.

The match was actually fun for the most part. It was slow-paced, as you might expect from two guys in their mid to late-40s and have been at this wrestling thing for decades, along with this being All Japan where it's the norm. A few rest holds and some back and forth action with both guys pulling out their usual repertoire of moves. I was kind of surprised to see Super Crazy perform not one, but three moonsaults in this match, and they looked really good. The match ended in a draw after a double pin, so TAJIRI kept the TV Championship on him.

This isn't a match I'd recommend people go out and seek immediately but I just thought it was cool to see these two vets put out a fun, quick match these days.

The Brain
    Tajiri/Crazy had some of my favorite matches ever 18 years(!!) ago, so I'm not surprised they're still doing pretty well even in their older age. Just the novelty of checking out that match again is enough to make me thing perhaps I should seek it out!

As I'm getting caught up on the stuff I was behind on there's a bit more time in my life to go searching for AJPW stuff. Anything from the past few months I should make an effort to track down?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    There's a Kento Miyahara vs. Zeus match from 10/21 that got rave reviews, though I haven't had a chance to check it out!

PT, there were two matches between Kento Miyahara and Naomichi Marufuji this year (the finals of Champion Carnival in April and the Triple Crown title shot stemming from that match in May) that were really solid. I'd recommend those along with mizfan's recommendation of Miyahara vs. Zeus from October. I also remembered that a lot of Shingo Takagi's matches in this year's Champion Carnival were really good, especially against Miyahara, Yuji Hino and Shuji Ishikawa, so those might be worth a watch too.

I've been pretty behind on wrestling in general since I went on vacation last month. I'm slowly catching up to all the things I've been trying to keep up with. The finals of the tournament happen later today. There are currently five teams left in the running, all of them tied at 12 points apiece. There will be four matches to determine the top two teams, who will then face each other in the finals at the end of the show to determine the winner. The teams left are Joe Doering/Dylan James, Jun Akiyama/Daisuke Sekimoto, KAI/Kengo Mashimo, Violent Giants and The End. I'm still thinking Doering and James (now known as "The Bomber") will win the tournament, so we'll see.

I finally got a bit up to date with All Japan's Tag Team series, although I have only watched one show for the whole tournament which I went to see live so I don't know how it's been as far as quality goes. The show I went to had some good matches (although way too short). There was a really great match between Shuji Ishikawa and Suwama against Jun Akiyama and Daisuke Sekimoto that I enjoyed a lot, and the main event of Miyahara and Yoshitatsu against Zeus and Bodyguard was also fun to see. I also saw The End for the first time as part of an 8-man tag, and they look like a really solid team. I was really impressed by them and hope they get to tour Japan some more. I just wish the show had more than the two hours it did.

As always, I also had fun scanning the merch tables and seeing a lot of the wrestlers there. Tajiri was selling his merch outside and looked like a grumpy old man when I got there for some reason. But I then saw him later letting some fans hold his TV Championship belt and pose for pics with them which was cool to see. The End was super-popular with the fans, selling a lot of signed 8x10's and posing for pictures with a ton of people and having little kids come up to them constantly. Ultimo Dragon was also selling merch and pics, although I never saw him stand up from his chair once. And Joe Doering gave me a hard sell for one of his shirts which I almost did buy but I really didn't want to spend 5000 Yen (~$44) for a simple T-shirt. Always a fun time at these events.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    PT, there were two matches between Kento Miyahara and Naomichi Marufuji this year (the finals of Champion Carnival in April and the Triple Crown title shot stemming from that match in May) that were really solid. I'd recommend those along with mizfan's recommendation of Miyahara vs. Zeus from October. I also remembered that a lot of Shingo Takagi's matches in this year's Champion Carnival were really good, especially against Miyahara, Yuji Hino and Shuji Ishikawa, so those might be worth a watch too.
    I think those Marufuji/Miyahara matches were pretty much the last things I got to see, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Zeus match and for some of those Takagi matches you've mentioned.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."