All Japan Pro Wrestling

Discussion of All Japan Pro Wrestling here.

Where were we? I think we were just talking about Marufuji challenging for the Triple Crown title, right?

The Brain
    Yeah, after the most successful Champion's Carnival in a long time, All Japan seems to be on the upswing. I was really enjoy Deg's updates, so if he's still watching I'd love to hear from him what the latest is!

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    There hasn't been much happening since the end of the Champion Carnival. The next events on their schedule is the Super Power Series, with two events being streamed live from Okinawa on their service this weekend, so I'll have some more to talk about then. Saturday's show will have a Junior Heavyweight championship match between the current champ Atsushi Aoki and the challenger Atsushi Aoyama, and Sunday will have a TV championship match between long-standing champ Jun Akiyama and a former 4-time TV champ Mensore Oyaji. Nothing huge but should be interesting to see.

The Brain
    Looking forward to the Marufuji/Kento rematch for the belt. Still gotta catch up on the top stuff from the Carnival itself too. Too much to watch!

I think that match is set for the 24th?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Yep, May 24th at Korakuen Hall. It should be a good one, definitely looking forward to it.

I caught part of yesterday's event in Okinawa. It was an average show at best, nothing special. The show looked to be shot in some sort of studio and it looked pretty drab with less than 500 people there.

The Junior Heavyweight title match was kinda lame, just 11 minutes with very little going on. I checked a few past Junior Heavyweight matches just to familiarize myself a little more, and their division is really bad. New Japan is ridiculously so far ahead in that division that it's entirely unfair to do any kind of comparison. I think one of the main issues is that they need a lot of new and younger talent to give them a boost. Their current champ, Atsushi Aoki, is 40 years old. The previous two champs were Tajiri (who's 47) and Ultimo Dragon (who's 51). That's definitely not sustainable. I don't think All Japan has historically had any type of decent Junior Heavyweight division, so if they're not willing to invest in it they should just cut that division because it looks pretty bad.

The Brain
    Yeah, I've not been too drawn to All Japan's juniors. Obviously I'd give that Tajiri reign a chance but by and large it's never had much talk about it, which fits with their image historically as well as it was never really a point of discussion when they were at their peak either, unlike New Japan who had Jushin Liger leading the division.

Yeah, most of what I used to see in the 1990s was NJPW actually, and a lot of that was Liger but also Sasuke, Ultimo Dragon, Kanemoto and Shinjiro Otani. The Jr Heavyweight stuff definitely spread quicker, especially when they were against people who by that point had wound up in the big American feds.

It seems AJPW doesn't have a huge amount going for it outside of it's very top level, but at the same time... I find I'm pretty hyped up for anything at the ME end of the card at the moment. And that bodes well, because I tend to think if you can get people invested in the top of the card you can get away with all sorts underneath. Look how much of the undercards on stuff in the Austin vs McMahon era was just criminal.

The Brain
    For sure, they are still rebuilding and you do that by starting at the top. If things keep going well they should be able to attract a stronger class of midcard talent.

They do have a decent roster for the most part. I liked most of the guys that I saw in the Champion Carnival. The two concerns I would have is that they're still a bit reliant on outside talent / freelancers (Marufuji, Ishikawa, etc.) and they still have a lot of older guys still on the roster. The older guys can still go (Suwama, Akiyama, Tajiri, Omori, etc.) but I still think they need some young blood there. Some of the younger guys they do have like Dylan James and Naoya Nomura have a ways to go.

One other thing that kinda bugs me about All Japan is the number of titles they have for such a thin roster and how they're used. Do they really need to have two different sets of tag team titles? The All Asia tag team titles seem pointless to me, especially with its current champions in Akiyama and Yuji Nagata who don't need that at all. And I already mentioned the lack of people in the Junior Heavyweight division, so I would scrap that if they don't have more talent for it. I get the TV title being there as a secondary belt to aim for but based on what I've seen it's rarely used to elevate people on their roster. The current champ, Akiyama, has held the belt for well over a year now. Before that it seems like mostly outside talent held it.

Maybe I'm looking at it from a perspective of what other wrestling promotions do as opposed to what's traditionally been done in All Japan, though.

The Brain
    I don't think the All Asia tag belts are going anywhere, they go all the way back to 1955 before All Japan or New Japan even existed, so yeah, tradition will probably win out there. I could definitely see an argument to drop the juniors though, and I actually didn't even know they had a TV title now so that isn't doing any good now.

As you mention the TV Title, Akiyama defends this weekend against Survival Tobita of Saitama Pro.

The Brain
    See, I've never heard of that person, and there is no chance I will check the match out. So I'm not sure it's doing them any favors right now.

No I only mention it because it is being advertised. It's also another match between two guys in their late forties.

On the subject I see no scheduled defence for the all Asia tag team belts over the next couple of months....

The Brain
    Yeah, looking at recent reigns it looks like the AA tag belts get defended about once a month but nothing since March for the latest run. Maybe the logistics of getting Nagata back have caused an issue?

The last TV title defense Akiyama last weekend did was a strange one where he had to beat his opponent in less than ten minutes or something like that, or he would lose the title. He won with about 3 seconds to spare. It wasn't a fun match.

Being able to find space to book guys like Nagata is one of my concerns about relying too much on those with main priorities outside of the company. But it's a necessity given how sparse their main roster is anyway. I don't think they can afford to hold on to more people at this time. It's part of the rebuilding process.

The Brain
    Aw too bad, that time limit thing sounds like it could be a great gimmick if done well.

I do agree, they've got to rely on outsiders to some extent right now.

Yeah sounds like a needs must situation.

Akiyama beat Tobita as expected. For his tenth defence it sounds like it'll be Takao Omori, his long-time tag partner. Interesting development. I think they got decent reviews for a match last year?

The Brain
    Omori is such a weird one. For ages he was just the guy who randomly showed up in that one 90s Rumble. He's not bad though, he had a really good match with Kento a couple years back. Doesn't really excite me but he's not a shlub either.

That description pretty much sums up Omori for me as well. Well, that, and also that he was pretty pushy at the merch table during the Osaka show I went to a few weeks ago. I briefly walked by the table he was at and looked at some book or something he was selling and he immediately got into sales mode with me. I don't mean it in a bad way, though. It always makes me chuckle when I see these intimidating bad-ass wrestlers kicking ass in the ring one minute and then trying to sell me knickknacks the next.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to the Akiyama / Omori match. Omori is a well-established name in the company and he's never held that championship before, so at least there's a possibility of him winning (as opposed to that last match Akiyama had). But if he wins, I still don't understand putting that belt on a 48-year-old guy.

This weekend I took some time to browse through whatever they have on their streaming service and caught a pretty interesting show from last year. The show was 2017 Summer Explosion from Ryogoku, and there were quite the interesting matchups there:

- There was a women's match from a promotion I've never heard of before (Actwres girl’Z). It was a decent match for what it was.
    - A 76-year-old Dory Funk Jr. was in a match, believe it or not. It's not fun watching a wrestling match when you're constantly fearing for the well-being one of the participants due to their age.
    - Unexpectedly, none other than Sin Cara (under his current CMLL name Caristico) was in a lucha match against El Diamante.
    - TAKA Michinoku was in the show, winning the All Asia Tag Team Championship match with Black Tiger.
    - Taichi was also on the card as well.
    - Ultimo Dragon won the Junior Heavyweight title from Tajiri. Both guys did okay but nothing spectacular given their legendary status. I couldn't stop thinking about how amazing this match would have been if it had taken place 15 years ago.
    - Big Japan's Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi were the World Tag Team champs during this event and they're awesome. I want to see more of Sekimoto either in All Japan or New Japan.
    - The main event was a great Triple Crown championship match between Shuji Ishikawa vs. Kento Miyahara. This was a rematch from earlier in the year, where Miyahara lost the Triple Crown to Ishikawa after his Champion Carnival win, and Miyahara re-captured it here. Straightforward but really good job by both guys in their roles.

It was interesting to see all the companies that came together during this match. The show was very good - it kinda sucks that events like this fly under the radar because they deserve some more recognition.

The Brain
    Ah, many times have I experienced the merch table push from one of my favorite wrestlers! I admit, I usually come home from a live show loaded with new shirts, because I just want to support these guys so badly. Not sure Omori would get my money though... maybe if I see a few more matches.

I think I saw a screenshot of that Dory Jr appearance. Dude looks like the Crypt Keeper, but impressive he can still get physical in the ring, even though he probably shouldn't!

I honestly had no idea Caristico made a trip to All Japan. You'd think that wouldn't be happening, given the CMLL/New Japan relationship being pretty firmly in place. Maybe New Japan doesn't care because All Japan is no threat to them currently? And it's not like Caristo is going to move the needle in Japan. I'm just used to wrestling companies being much more petty about what their talent does.

Funny, Tajiri vs. Ultimo actually DID happen 15 years ago, but it was only 3 minutes long. These guys just can't seem to meet at the right time! Though I get the impression Ultimo's peak was high but also short, and he didn't stay on that high level past the mid 90s. Could be wrong though!

Dude, I get shouting out Sekimoto, he's great, but I freaking love Yuji Okabayashi. There's something about the guy that gets me every time, he's built like an actual brick house and feels like he could rip a dude in half at any moment.

I actually saw that Kento/Ishikawa match! It gets even better if you have a chance to watch that whole series, I remember that match had a lot of really clever callbacks that elevated it to a higher level.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Kento / Ishikawa series. I think that's the only match of theirs that I've seen, so I'll make some time to look back at those previous ones as well.

Last night was the Super Power Series show in Korakuen Hall, featuring the anticipated Triple Crown championship match between Kento Miyahara and Naomichi Marufuji. I was only able to catch the last three matches of the show.

The first match I saw was a six-man tag between the team of KAI, Tajiri, and Kotaro Suzuki versus Keiichi Sato and current World Tag Team champs Ryoji Sai and Dylan James. The match itself was solid, with a decent amount of brawling outside and ended when Tajiri caused a distraction by hitting the green mist on Sai, leading to Suzuki hitting his finisher (a Gory Neckbreaker / Widow's Peak he calls Blue Destiny) on Sato for the win. After the match, KAI and Tajiri went to the timekeeper's table and grabbed the World Tag Team titles to taunt Sai and James with them, so I'm guessing there will be a championship match between those four down the road. I'd never seen Suzuki or Sato before, but they were pretty good.

The next match featured a returning Jake Lee teaming up with Koji Iwamoto to take on the team of Naoya Nomura and Yoshitatsu. Another good match, with Lee picking up the win with a nasty-looking belly-to-back suplex, literally dumping Nomura on his head. Lee had been out for a couple of months with an injury so we'll see how he figures in the plans for the company during the rest of the year. Everyone did pretty well here (yes, even Yoshitatsu). Although this was obviously a match to bring back Jake Lee in a big way, by the end I felt that Nomura came out looking so much better than everyone else. I'm liking that kid a lot.

The main event came up next between Miyahara and Marufuji. I enjoyed this match a lot. Miyahara came out cocky and arrogant, ignoring a handshake from Marufuji. It had a ton of back and forth offense between both guys, with both of them evenly matched throughout. There were a lot of times when I thought Marufuji would pull off the victory here, from hitting a piledriver on the ring apron to almost choking Miyahara out to hitting the Shiranui. There were also a lot of times when I thought Miyahara would retain after hitting all of his finishers, but couldn't put Marufuji away. In the end, Miyahara hit a barrage of Blackout knees, and followed it up with his straight-jacket suplex and got a hard-fought win over an awesome Marufuji. The match went about 26 minutes and was a great main event, I highly suggest watching it.

After the match, Dylan James came out and said he didn't see anyone else come out to challenge him, so he asked for a title shot. Miyahara agreed, they fist-bumped, and Miyahara gave the crowd a speech to send them home happy. I think Miyahara said he would have the title match at the next Korakuen show on June 12, but I don't know if I misheard him or if it's confirmed during that time. It should be an interesting match, especially since I still haven't seen anything that has overly impressed me about James, so this might be the chance to see it.

I'm happy that All Japan seems to have continued to build on their momentum this year. It was a packed house with 1680 people in attendance. It's funny that the All Japan website actually put (超満員) next to the attendance, which means "overcrowded" so I'm guessing it was standing room only. I hope they keep it up.

The Brain
    Nice!! The expected outcome but also it sounds like the match really delivered, which is of course what we were all hoping for. Interesting that James gets the next shot, I've yet to see him or hear much buzz so I wonder if he'll be more of a transitional challenger while they prep the next big program from Kento. I think they're smart to stick with him, I do think he can be a bit repetitive but overall he's been a big part of rebuilding their business.

I think Marufuji's GHC title shot is still coming up, so it'll be interesting to see if he's more successful over there!

Unfortunately Marufuji came up short in his world title hunts last week. Oh well, hopefully Noah and All Japan will have more collaboration down the road. They both could use each other from time to time.

There have been a couple of news bits coming out in the last few days. The first one is that All Japan's yearly Junior Tag Team tournament (Jr. Tag Battle of Glory) was moved to August, from its usual October spot. Not sure what caused the change, but it seems like the finals of that tournament will happen at Summer Explosion, one of their bigger shows of the year. No news on anything else yet. Based on what I've read, it seems like they've had to scrape deep just to get enough teams for a tournament. Since they've been on the upswing lately, hopefully they'll be able to get more teams, and better ones at that.

The other bit of news is that Riki Choshu will be participating in an All Japan show in August 5th. He hasn't been a part of All Japan for years (decades?). Given that he's 66 years old there might not be much in terms of match quality but it's still a pretty big thing.

Last I know of was a brief run in 2009 but yeah, decades if you want something more substantial. 1980s, even?!

The Brain
    Riki Choshu is definitely a name that should have more conversation around it. He pioneered what might be the first ever "invasion" angle in the late 80s, coming over from New Japan to "invade" AJPW. A lot of that story was later co-opted into stuff like the nWo, so historic indeed. I believe he also had a big say in the creative of that stuff, so he's definitely an innovator. I do agree that he's unlikely to have much in the tank for a match, but still, cool name to have around.

I can't say I've got much interest in an AJPW junior tag tournament though.

Deg, what's this news about Jake Lee starting up a new stable?

I'm trying to follow as much as I can, since I'm learning more about the existing factions in All Japan right now. From what I've seen, Jake Lee was a part of the Nextream stable along with Kento Miyahara, Naoya Nomura and Yuma Aoyagi up until he got hurt last year. When he returned to All Japan a month or so ago, he made it clear that he was no longer going to be a part of Nextream. No one knew what that meant until last week's event, where Lee brought in current heavyweight tag champs Dylan James and Ryoji Sai, junior heavyweight Koji Iwamoto and freelancer Keiichi Sato and declared the formation of a new faction, which is as of right now unnamed.

I dig it, because it gives all the guys in Nextream a direct competitor, and it will give Miyahara a new threat in his former stablemate. Tonight Miyahara will defend the Triple Crown championship against Dylan James, which I'm guessing will lead to a win and further the storyline between the two stables leading to a big July 1st show, where Miyahara and Lee will face off. Hopefully it'll carry over throughout the summer because Miyahara needs some competition right now if they want to continue to build him as the top guy there.

If you felt like saying more - even a column perhaps - about the stable dynamics in AJPW, I for one wouldn't object.

Sometimes that stuff is hard to grasp in another language when you only dip into it. And I think getting a handle on the factions is in part what pulls people in to NJPW in such a big way....

The Brain
    My god, I spent way too much time thinking Jason Lee and Jake Lee are the same person.

Yeah, hard to imagine Kento doesn't roll over Dylan. I'd love to see that stable column though, or even just a more in depth post here!

I really don't know much about the All Japan stables right now, so I don't have much else that I can say about it! They don't seem to play it up as strongly as some of the other Japanese companies, at least what I've seen so far.

I'm in the process of catching up to last night's show - I saw some comments that some stuff was announced so I'll make an update here when I watch it.

EDIT: I got a chance to catch the final two matches from yesterday's Korakuen Hall show. It was pretty good, and there were over 1000 in attendance on a Tuesday night so that's good for the company.

Jun Akiyama and Yuji Nagata retained the All-Asia Tag Team Championships by defeating Naoya Nomura and Yuma Aoyagi. It was a pretty solid match, going over 20 minutes. The veterans were really good here, especially Nagata - that guy is amazing and I'm glad New Japan is letting him do these shots in All Japan. I'm still digging Nomura, even though he still needs a bit more experience, but he's just 24 years old so I'm sure he'll get it in time.

In the main event, Kento Miyahara retained the Triple Crown Championship by beating Dylan James in a great match that went nearly 25 minutes. To be honest, the match was pretty straightforward, but I really enjoyed it a lot. James played his strength advantage really well, and the commentators did a good job in putting that over as a legit threat to Miyahara. Miyahara did a usual great job selling like he was really hurting, and exploding in some nice flurries of offense in spurts until James would put a stop to it with a power move. This was the type of match that I was waiting to see out of Dylan James since I began watching All Japan earlier this year.

At the end of the match, Zeus came out and laid a challenge to Miyahara. I didn't catch what Miyahara said in his post-match promo but I'm guessing this match will come in one of the upcoming Osaka shows given Zeus being from here.

During the show they also announced the participants of the upcoming Junior Tag Battle of Glory, their Jr. Heavyweight tournament. It'll be seven teams in a single block, where the team with the most points at the end will be the winner. A lot of very interesting names and participants from all sorts of companies here:

- Atsushi Aoki & Hikaru Sato (from All Japan, three time tournament winners from 2014-2016)
    - Yohei Nakajima & Black Tiger VII (from All Japan)
    - Koji Iwamoto & TAJIRI (freelancers but spend a considerable amount of time in All Japan)
    - Atsushi Maruyama & Masashi Takeda (from Big Japan Wrestling, last year's tournament winners)
    - Kaji Tomato & Shiori Asahi (from Kaientai Dojo)
    - Kotaro Suzuki (freelancer) & Shuji Kondo (from Wrestle-1)
    - Masaaki Mochizuki & Shun Skywalker (from Dragon Gate)

I'm glad that Dragon Gate continues to have a relationship with All Japan, especially sending their former world champ Mochizuki (who held the Open The Dream Gate title for about nine months until a few days ago). I don't know almost any names here, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Dragon Gate representatives pulled off the win.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 6 Days Ago at 01:42 AM.

The Brain
    I'm really curious Deg, how do you feel about Japanese commentary as compared to English? I hardly speak a word of Japanese but I really enjoy the energy they always seem to bring. Would love your unique insight on that!

Zeus/Kento sounds potentially pretty good. Feels unlikely he'll drop the belt but I think the match could be a lot of fun.

Nice that DG gets another shot to show off some of their guys! Especially interesting since Mochizuki a top guy, whereas Skywalker is only a rookie, so it'll be an interesting dynamic. I want to like Skywalker, but he wears some of the worst gear I've ever seen, a booger green bodysuit. Not a good look!

Also, what's the situation with the subscription service now they've had a while to get up and running?

My Japanese is still not all that great, especially with the speed and high energy that the wrestling commentators tend to have. But I can pick things up here and there. Like you, I like the energy that they give compared to most Western commentators, so I dig it a lot more. It also helps me try to practice my listening comprehension. Of course, All Japan doesn't have any English commentary whatsoever so I have no choice with them.

The All Japan commentary team is alright. They're pretty straightforward as far as I can understand. They also dive a lot into the company's past, suddenly talking about guys like Tsuruta, Misawa, etc. during championship matches, which is interesting. It makes sense given the company's history is deep, so they should use that from time to time as long as it doesn't overshadow the guys who are active now. On some occasions I've noticed them call moves incorrectly. Not sure why.

As for the subscription service, it's the same as before. They can still only put out more recent stuff thanks to licensing issues so there's nothing before 2016 as far as I know. The last few things they put out in their catalog were Jake Lee matches from 2016 and 2017 since he's becoming a focal point in the current storylines, but most of them which weren't all that great or super-short. For example, one match I saw last night was Jake Lee vs. Shuji Ishikawa, and it was less than seven minutes. So for the old catalog, it's still not there yet and seems like it will never be.

The live streaming portion works really well, though. There are no issues when it streams live, and the VOD is out pretty quickly. They seem to be trying to push more live events on the service - there's been two in June, with four more scheduled before the end of the month. It's great to stay up to date with the current product, so for anyone wanting to stay up to date with what's happening now, I would recommend the service as long as there's no expectation of the older stuff ever being there.

Some more news came out yesterday for the upcoming events:

The Kento Miyahara vs Zeus Triple Crown Championship match is set for July 27 in Osaka, as I expected. This event is particularly important because the event will be held in the main area of Edion Arena, which All Japan hasn't done for 4 years now (they've been using the smaller basement area as business was down). That's the same arena New Japan uses for their big shows like the G1, New Beginning and Power Struggle and seats over 5000 people, so All Japan is going to do as much as they can to promote the hell out of that show. They have their work cut out for them. I don't expect them to sell out the venue (especially given that New Japan will hold two G1 Climax shows there a few days later) but who knows what they pull off to stack the show.

Jake Lee's new faction has a new name: "Sweeper", as in they want to sweep All Japan and control everything. Not sure what that means, but I'm guessing that they want to hold all the championships in the company. Here's the official pic of the team from a recent press conference:

The Brain
    Love that they reference a lot of history on commentary. I actually usually choose to watch with Japanese commentary even when English is available, as I've been put off by Callis and Kelly over in New Japan. Funny that they get some moves wrong though. Or it is we who have been getting them wrong the whole time?? I have no idea if you can even answer this, but how is Milano Collection AT as a commentator? I loved him as a wrestler, so I've been curious.

I have to be honest, I haven't gotten the AJPW service and it's not that likely that I will. Not having the back catalogue is very disappointing, though I suppose it's understandable.

Really bold to run that arena... they are on the upswing but still behind DDT and Dragon Gate in terms of attendance (as far as I can tell anyway) so might be too optimistic to try to run that close to New Japan.

I don't have any strong opinions about any of the commentators for All Japan. They do well enough to me in capturing what's happening and elevating the emotion of important matches, but to be honest I feel like most Japanese TV commentators - whether it's for wrestling or any other type of sport - have the same kind of style to me. But it just might be my lack of listening comprehension, because my wife can tell the difference. For example, we often watch Japanese baseball on TV, and here the games are broadcast on different channels depending on the day of the week, each with their own announce team. There's one particular channel that my wife prefers because she says they sound like two guys talking baseball over beers at a local bar while they others sound too stuffy. I can't tell the difference at all.

I think I've already mentioned it here, but I still wouldn't recommend All Japan's streaming service unless you're really interested in the new stuff. I've been enjoying learning more about them so I'm going to give it a fair chance for the next few months.

If I ever get bored of watching the older stuff in the WWE archives and cancel that subscription I'm thinking AJPW is probably what I'd be most likely to pick up. I've made my peace with the fact that there isn't the old stuff in there but I do find I'm more drawn to it than most other stuff. At the moment I'm just tracking down the bits that I really want to see online but I think I could maybe get more into it if I put more in. I'm not the best at just watching wrestling as an exhibition or just taking bits and pieces - I get far more into it if I immerse myself fully into it. And I like the idea of trying that with AJPW, but I can't really justify it right now.