Thread: Roseanne

Roseanne

Goodbye.

I watched and enjoyed the new season but I understand why ABC canned it. I feel bad for all the workers. Season had up and down moments but it was just like the old days. I always liked it back in the day because they’d wear the same clothes and represented low middle class well. Dan always had the Bears starter hoodie.

I also enjoyed the new season, though I didn't feel it on par with the original run. It had flashes, but it felt a bit too self serious or something. And Roseanne, herself, was obviously off her mark.

That said, I'm hopeful that the show returns in a different fashion. They're actually set up for it perfectly should they choose to go down that path. In the final episode of the newest season, Roseanne is preparing for knee surgery and talks to Dan about her worries, specifically about her fears that she'll die on the table or something. While certainly not common in knee surgery, someone passing away during any surgery isn't at all unprecedented and is actually fairly common.

I say they kill off Roseanne's character either via her dying on the table, as was talked about, or, if they want to continue the "topical" theme, they could have her accidentally overdose on her subsequent pain medication subscription. We've already seen that she's hiding pills around the house and such, so that's definitely a thread they could tug at if they so choose.

I would then have Jackie move into the house to help Dan and Darlene and stuff and focus on them coping with and moving beyond the death of the matriarch that always kept the family rolling. That's a very real world, lower middle class reality that people face all the time and would be interesting to see explored. I'd do exactly that and rename the show either Darlene, The Connors or even just Dan. Hell, he's everyone's favorite, anyhow.

The show doesn't need Roseanne to continue at all and based upon what I saw from this latest season, the remaining cast would likely actually benefit from her dismissal. If anyone's acting was dragging things down it was definitely hers. Not to mention that her personal politics and the incorporation of them into the show sometimes put her blatantly at odds with the Roseanne of old. I don't even mean the Trump stuff, either, as that didn't bother me in the least. What did bother me was stuff like her being an Islamaphobe and especially her telling Darlene she should physically punish her kids. After the well established history of her and Jackie's childhood abuse and the great episode where she spanked DJ and lost her shit, that was a full on slap in the face to the character's previously established history.

So yeah, I say move forward. Rosey fucked up. Too bad. It was the rest of the cast that was carrying her, though, and they could carry on just fine without her. I'd personally really love to see it. Besides, you know it'd be a huge hit (if only at first) due to the magnitude of the press surrounding the situation.

Well, no need to wonder or speculate any longer, as FOX just picked the show up for next season (season 11) at least. I liked the show. I feel almost exactly like Steve does about the reboot. Though I think Roseanne is too important to the show for it to continue on without her. Though she is a fucking idiot for saying anything like that on social media. When will celebrities learn?

The Fox rumors are untrue, at least as of right now. At the moment, the show is dead. There are apparently some sort of plans for the writers and producers (including Sara Gilbert) to meet and discuss possible courses of action in the next few days.

What I'd seen was that the big sticking point to getting a new version on the air without her and focused on the other characters is that she owns a stake in the show. Even if she uncharacteristically went quietly and didn't make a fuss about it, it's unlikely that anything is going to happen with it that'd so obviously benefit her financially. At least, that's what I've seen suggested.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Yeah it's either going to be a spinoff on ABC or nothing at all. Most of the actors and staff won't work with her now, so there's no way they'd go to Fox to do the show there.

Sounds like she either did back out of anything she was entitled to or they just plain didn't care about that very much, because there's going to be a ten-part Conner family series later in the year. Interesting.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

She was told to get rid of twitter and she refused. I get having free speech and all but seems silly to lose your job cause you're too stubborn to lose a platform.

They paid her off in a settlement which she said she did to save the 200 jobs. I don’t think the shoe will lose a ton without Roseanne, as weird as it sounds.

Maybe they'll ban her for three years, then bring her back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Maybe they'll ban her for three years, then bring her back.
    By then the media will have new sacrifices to appease their narrative.

"Sacrifice" is a good word. Her tweet was shit, but they were going to get her one way or the other. The bloodlust is very real, and I do believe more people will wish they didn't go along blindly* one day.

*blindly is also a microaggression because it's ableist language.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    By then the media will have new sacrifices to appease their narrative.
    Fuck this noise. That tweet was insensitive horseshit at best and racist at worst. It had nothing to do with the media trying to appease a narrative; if Roseanne or any other moron had made statements as dumb as that they would've been done and dusted almost immediately. Hell most of them have been. So let's not act like she's some victim or sacrifice. She dug her own grave, and that would be the case whether she voted for Donald Trump or Donald Duck.

I'm not so sure of that. I love Dave Chapelle, but he's said much worse, and never got as much as a glance in his direction. Eric Andre anyone? Another awesome comedian, but homeboy has shown his dick on social media more than he makes regular posts. They say it's comedy and everyone backs down. Roseanne says it's comedy and gets crucified. The only difference is one was outspoken in their support of a President that the mainstream media has been on the extreme offensive against since before he was even president. The other two still have their own shows and comedy specials. You don't have to side with Trump to be subjective here.

I'm not saying she wasnt dumb, and what she said wasn't in poor taste, but if we were crucifying people based on poor taste and stupidity we would have practically zero entertainment industry.

People are mad at her because they are mad at Trump. The problem is people are blinded by their hatred atm, and it is spilling over into places it shouldn't be.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 08-07-2018 at 07:50 AM.