Lucha Underground Thread

I am disappoint LOP overlords. How is it there is no LU thread since the reset?! Oh well; there is now. New season begins in two weeks. How excited are you?!

The Brain
    So hype!!! The long season gaps have dampened the excitement for some I guess, but LU is still my favorite wrestling product on god's green earth, and I am super pumped to see it come back. I can't wait for them to get the ball rolling again, can't wait to see the new Temple and finally find out what the heck happened to Dario, not to mention begin the long awaited reign of Pentagon!

Have they been running any teasers? I haven't been paying attention much.

The Brain
    They put out a trailer a while ago, I don't do trailers because they sometimes spoil shit but I've heard from others it's pretty damn hype!

Ha, can't watch the trailer in the UK on copyright grounds. Also can't get it through Netflix here. Not actually sure how anyone in Britain actually manages to follow it, but I know some people do.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Maybe through Amazon? I don't get El Rey sadly but they release the episodes in real time through Amazon so that's worked well for me. You have to pay a bit but it's pretty cheap if I remember, a couple bucks per episode or something.

Maybe. I think Oliver watches, he'll probably share when he sees this.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I will say this, if I did get El Rey I would probably never need to watch another channel. When I see commercials it looks like nonstop stuff that I would enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Maybe. I think Oliver watches, he'll probably share when he sees this.
    Oh, hello!

Yes, I'm following - honestly, I do tend to pick them up off the web when I can rather than actually watch them on the TV or anything. It's not perfect, because I'd obviously rather give the show itself viewership. If I can I try and compensate that with buying merch for the show/wrestlers just to show some love and give them a few quid.

I'm very, very excited for the new season. Will need to watch the trailer for it, but it's less than a week to go now!

The Brain
    I'm seriously feeling the hype for this! My favorite wrestling promotion of the past few years coming back, with my favorite guy as champion at long last. It's gonna be good, you know they're gonna try to start it off with a bang in the new temple!

So season four is going to kick off with Aztec Warfare IV! I'm guessing with the shorter season they wanted to get it out of the way off the bat. Can't say I blame them; it should be great if the other three Aztec Warfare's are anything to go by.

So, do we know if this is going to stream anywhere?

The Brain
    It's already on amazon but you gotta pay a couple bucks an episode, or drop a little chunk of change for the whole season. I just bought the whole thing, gonna watch the first episode tonight!

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. I was talking to Cult Icon and we both agreed it wasn't the best episode to start a new season. It was a little off for sure and he said that he heard the talent thought the first taping seemed off as well. I actually thought it seemed a little too polished, kind of missed the grittiness of it myself.

The Brain
    Interesting... I've steered away from most spoilers but I know they did Aztec Warfare right off the bat, which excites me on paper. Very curious, will share my thoughts tomorrow for sure.

To piggyback off what Trips said; back when the tapings started someone I know in the know went to the second day of tapings. He discussed the first day with most of the roster and staff and it was pretty unanimous that they thought the first night could've gone better from both an in ring and production standpoint. Even Vampiro apparently didn't put it over, and Vamp will put over everything he does. The good news is he was also at the next taping and everything there was very good according to him, so if nothing else it should be "better" next week.

That said, while this was the weakest Aztec Warfare by far with a few really bizarre booking decisions, I still thought it was pretty good once it got going. The #1 goal for the match was to make Pentagon look like a complete boss and on that front they 100% succeeded.

I liked the first show. I thought they did a great job keeping the Temple looking and feeling the same. Was definitely character and story driven. Only didn't like how Mil was used. Still Pentagon looked great. Worldwide underground looked good.Cueto was awesome

Doing AW as a season opener is a great idea if you've forgotten what happened nearly two years ago, mind you - the issue here is that it didn't really have all of the in built storyline stuff that AW most often has around it.

I think the new look will take a few episodes to grow on me, this felt a bit less like the dingy underground fight club that the previous three series did. That said, I didn't not enjoy it as a presentation.

I hope my only two questions aren't too spoiler-y:

1) Where's Dante Fox at?

2) Dario Cueto is Antonio Cueto, right? There's no way someone plays an old man that over the top without it being a disguise. Has Dario faked his own death because he knew the police were after him in season 3 and that he probably couldn't escape? Is there going to be a big reveal at some point in time during this season?

I had to purchase on iTunes because I couldn’t find a stream. A fun return and a good way to introduce new viewers to LU. I will say there were two wrestlers involved that make me want to change the channel immediately: Dreamer and Chavo. Chavo being treated as a threat is also groan worthy.

Oli- I can't answer the first one, but you'd think he'd still be there as he was tweeting out about the premiere the same day, yet weirdly he was MIA.

On the second question, I feel the same way. There has to be a payoff there with it being Dario, because otherwise it's damn stupid. They could have just gotten another actor or even wrestler to play Antonio.

Sounds like you and I were on the same wavelength in regards to the new look. I miss the dirtiness of the old Temple. But overall, it's back and that's awesome.

The Mariposa re-casing was interesting. Don't know who the new person is but her body is a lot different.

Not a complaint at all but it's funny how the last we saw Marty he had his head shaved and now it's back to usual. A new person watching on Netflix in a few years will be confused.

See I thought Mariposa was different as well, but Cult Icon swears it is still Cheerleader Melissa. Errr, now I don't know again

I don't know now either. I thought for sure it was a different person but I see her Twitter and she's still promoting it.

It's her. Multiple people have confirmed it. She's bulked up and dyed her hair is all.

As far as Dante Fox is concerned, he's totally in the season. It appears everyone has already forgotten the season four trailer that showed Fox in full military garb saluting someone off screen; the idea is supposed to be that he's being redeployed I believe. He will be back eventually though; they love him, he's been promoting the show and was probably kept off the first episode both for storyline reasons and (much like how Cage, Aerostar and Ivelisse were) because LU wanted to protect some people from getting steamrolled by Pentagon. The main point of that first episode was to establish off the bat they are fully behind Pentagon as the top guy and to go from there. A wise move.

I have no idea about the Dario thing. They did show him in the coffin at the start of this episode, which to me seems pretty telling. Maybe it's a wax mannequin deal and the way Antonio or whoever it is acted about his son (which was very over the top) does kind of suggest it may all be a ploy, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dario is really dead. That doesn't mean he stays dead though. Again I go back to the season four trailer. There was a scene where the Luchasauras is fighting Johnny Mundo in a crypt, where a coffin is clearly shown. I initially thought it was Jack Evans' final resting place (since Jack is leaving the show at some point this season), but now that we've seen Dario in a coffin himself...I wonder if the plan is for Mundo, motivated by how terrible a promoter Antonio is, sets out to bring Dario back to life and succeeds. Then you get Luis Guill playing both characters and a Dario vs. Antonio feud. I could be wrong but I kind of feel that's where we're going right now. And it's not out of the realm of possibility considering Puma and Mil have both been brought back from the brink before.