Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Lucha Underground Thread

I am disappoint LOP overlords. How is it there is no LU thread since the reset?! Oh well; there is now. New season begins in two weeks. How excited are you?!

The Brain
    So hype!!! The long season gaps have dampened the excitement for some I guess, but LU is still my favorite wrestling product on god's green earth, and I am super pumped to see it come back. I can't wait for them to get the ball rolling again, can't wait to see the new Temple and finally find out what the heck happened to Dario, not to mention begin the long awaited reign of Pentagon!

Have they been running any teasers? I haven't been paying attention much.

The Brain
    They put out a trailer a while ago, I don't do trailers because they sometimes spoil shit but I've heard from others it's pretty damn hype!

Ha, can't watch the trailer in the UK on copyright grounds. Also can't get it through Netflix here. Not actually sure how anyone in Britain actually manages to follow it, but I know some people do.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Maybe through Amazon? I don't get El Rey sadly but they release the episodes in real time through Amazon so that's worked well for me. You have to pay a bit but it's pretty cheap if I remember, a couple bucks per episode or something.

Maybe. I think Oliver watches, he'll probably share when he sees this.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I will say this, if I did get El Rey I would probably never need to watch another channel. When I see commercials it looks like nonstop stuff that I would enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Maybe. I think Oliver watches, he'll probably share when he sees this.
    Oh, hello!

Yes, I'm following - honestly, I do tend to pick them up off the web when I can rather than actually watch them on the TV or anything. It's not perfect, because I'd obviously rather give the show itself viewership. If I can I try and compensate that with buying merch for the show/wrestlers just to show some love and give them a few quid.

I'm very, very excited for the new season. Will need to watch the trailer for it, but it's less than a week to go now!

The Brain
    I'm seriously feeling the hype for this! My favorite wrestling promotion of the past few years coming back, with my favorite guy as champion at long last. It's gonna be good, you know they're gonna try to start it off with a bang in the new temple!

So season four is going to kick off with Aztec Warfare IV! I'm guessing with the shorter season they wanted to get it out of the way off the bat. Can't say I blame them; it should be great if the other three Aztec Warfare's are anything to go by.

So, do we know if this is going to stream anywhere?

The Brain
    It's already on amazon but you gotta pay a couple bucks an episode, or drop a little chunk of change for the whole season. I just bought the whole thing, gonna watch the first episode tonight!

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. I was talking to Cult Icon and we both agreed it wasn't the best episode to start a new season. It was a little off for sure and he said that he heard the talent thought the first taping seemed off as well. I actually thought it seemed a little too polished, kind of missed the grittiness of it myself.

The Brain
    Interesting... I've steered away from most spoilers but I know they did Aztec Warfare right off the bat, which excites me on paper. Very curious, will share my thoughts tomorrow for sure.

To piggyback off what Trips said; back when the tapings started someone I know in the know went to the second day of tapings. He discussed the first day with most of the roster and staff and it was pretty unanimous that they thought the first night could've gone better from both an in ring and production standpoint. Even Vampiro apparently didn't put it over, and Vamp will put over everything he does. The good news is he was also at the next taping and everything there was very good according to him, so if nothing else it should be "better" next week.

That said, while this was the weakest Aztec Warfare by far with a few really bizarre booking decisions, I still thought it was pretty good once it got going. The #1 goal for the match was to make Pentagon look like a complete boss and on that front they 100% succeeded.

I liked the first show. I thought they did a great job keeping the Temple looking and feeling the same. Was definitely character and story driven. Only didn't like how Mil was used. Still Pentagon looked great. Worldwide underground looked good.Cueto was awesome

Doing AW as a season opener is a great idea if you've forgotten what happened nearly two years ago, mind you - the issue here is that it didn't really have all of the in built storyline stuff that AW most often has around it.

I think the new look will take a few episodes to grow on me, this felt a bit less like the dingy underground fight club that the previous three series did. That said, I didn't not enjoy it as a presentation.

I hope my only two questions aren't too spoiler-y:

1) Where's Dante Fox at?

2) Dario Cueto is Antonio Cueto, right? There's no way someone plays an old man that over the top without it being a disguise. Has Dario faked his own death because he knew the police were after him in season 3 and that he probably couldn't escape? Is there going to be a big reveal at some point in time during this season?

I had to purchase on iTunes because I couldn’t find a stream. A fun return and a good way to introduce new viewers to LU. I will say there were two wrestlers involved that make me want to change the channel immediately: Dreamer and Chavo. Chavo being treated as a threat is also groan worthy.

Oli- I can't answer the first one, but you'd think he'd still be there as he was tweeting out about the premiere the same day, yet weirdly he was MIA.

On the second question, I feel the same way. There has to be a payoff there with it being Dario, because otherwise it's damn stupid. They could have just gotten another actor or even wrestler to play Antonio.

Sounds like you and I were on the same wavelength in regards to the new look. I miss the dirtiness of the old Temple. But overall, it's back and that's awesome.

The Mariposa re-casing was interesting. Don't know who the new person is but her body is a lot different.

Not a complaint at all but it's funny how the last we saw Marty he had his head shaved and now it's back to usual. A new person watching on Netflix in a few years will be confused.

See I thought Mariposa was different as well, but Cult Icon swears it is still Cheerleader Melissa. Errr, now I don't know again

I don't know now either. I thought for sure it was a different person but I see her Twitter and she's still promoting it.

It's her. Multiple people have confirmed it. She's bulked up and dyed her hair is all.

As far as Dante Fox is concerned, he's totally in the season. It appears everyone has already forgotten the season four trailer that showed Fox in full military garb saluting someone off screen; the idea is supposed to be that he's being redeployed I believe. He will be back eventually though; they love him, he's been promoting the show and was probably kept off the first episode both for storyline reasons and (much like how Cage, Aerostar and Ivelisse were) because LU wanted to protect some people from getting steamrolled by Pentagon. The main point of that first episode was to establish off the bat they are fully behind Pentagon as the top guy and to go from there. A wise move.

I have no idea about the Dario thing. They did show him in the coffin at the start of this episode, which to me seems pretty telling. Maybe it's a wax mannequin deal and the way Antonio or whoever it is acted about his son (which was very over the top) does kind of suggest it may all be a ploy, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dario is really dead. That doesn't mean he stays dead though. Again I go back to the season four trailer. There was a scene where the Luchasauras is fighting Johnny Mundo in a crypt, where a coffin is clearly shown. I initially thought it was Jack Evans' final resting place (since Jack is leaving the show at some point this season), but now that we've seen Dario in a coffin himself...I wonder if the plan is for Mundo, motivated by how terrible a promoter Antonio is, sets out to bring Dario back to life and succeeds. Then you get Luis Guill playing both characters and a Dario vs. Antonio feud. I could be wrong but I kind of feel that's where we're going right now. And it's not out of the realm of possibility considering Puma and Mil have both been brought back from the brink before.

The Brain
    Late to the party on this, but here are my overall thoughts:

I did think they stumbled out of the block on a few things. Having AW on the first episode isn't the worst idea, but I agree with those who said they didn't have time to reintegrate a bunch of stories and make all the moving pieces work like they usually did, so I ended up wishing they'd at least saved it for the 2nd episode. Related to that idea, they spent almost 15 minutes doing non-match stuff to reintroduce the season, which made the match itself seem unusually rushed. Didn't appreciate how a lot of guys seemed to go out instantly after just a couple moves. I didn't mind the surprise entrants and quite liked some of the additions, even Chavo, though him lasting to the final 4 and eliminating Fenix shouldn't have happened. I'm glad to hear Fox will be in the season, though I do think the way Havoc was abruptly added to the team could have been done better.

What I DID like was the fact that they went in so hard with Pentagon, as others have mentioned that was the right call and as far as getting the message across that he is now finally the killer we always wanted him to be it was good stuff. Like I said, I liked the new faces in the Temple, and I pretty much always love AW so even though this was not the best version they've done, I still had a lot of fun with the match itself. I liked the finishing stretch a lot more than I did in AW3, though that had a stronger body. Penta/Marty was a real blast though, and I hope we get to see a full version of that match sometime this season. I dig the look of the Temple, keeping a lot of the look the same but switching up some aesthetic details. I'm VERY invested in the whole "is Dario dead? is he in disguise?" thing, and I love the B-Movie style appeal of the Antonio character. Very interesting to me also that Agent Winter said it was Antonio who ordered the hit, and that it was carried out by "gangbangers". Like Cult said, if Dario is dead, I don't think he'll stay dead, as he's pretty central to the whole story and it wouldn't feel right to continue long without him. Very hyped to see what happens with that.

Overall, just very glad my favorite wrestling product is back and excited to see where the season goes!

In LU, where a child who died in an earthquake was brought back to life by an undead teleporter who has half of an amulet that would, if complete, grant her immortality, but the other half is held by her police chief sister who demands that she gets her a gauntlet which grants the wearer incredible power that was stolen by a hunter who lives in a taxidermy filled cabin in the woods and has subsequently passed it on to someone who has taken it somewhere (in space or TIME, looking at nobody in particular Aerostar), I can well believe that Dario Cueto could come back from the dead.

I loved the episode this week! I loved that that turned Matanza vs Pentagon on it's head from it's origin. Where once Pentagon had his weaknesses due to his desperation to 'prove' himself to his fans or Dark Master, and Matanza was kept hungry and turned into a massive unstoppable monster because his brother knew how to handle him, now Pentagon is confident and dominant, he's proven himself and has the power, while Matanza is now being handled by his father, and man who mentally abused him, pretty much, his entire life, didn't care enough about him to take him away from the emotion and physical abuse of his mother, and is weakened as a result. So now Pentagon absolutely wrecks Matanza. That was beautiful storytelling across multiple series.

So my cable provider screwed up and I've actually already seen next week's episode. I won't give any spoilers away, but we get another new debut, a new challenger for Pentagon, a return and a 30 minute Main Event which holds its own in terms of great casket matches. Of course anytime you get Fenix and Mil together it's going to be good.

The Brain
    Damn Rob, that's a cool and random happening!

Not gonna read this thread too closely as I'm not watching episode 2 until tonight, but I will say I don't love Jack Swagger as a pick up. Like everyone I thought he had potential... in 2009. Maybe he can surprise me though.

I'm loving season 4.. great year for character driven matches. Am I the only one who enjoys Antonio Cueto as much as Dario? That man deserves an award.

Mil looked great in the casket match. Great rebound after the Aztec Warfare. Loving the Reptile Tribe/World Wide Underground.

Hate Jack Swagger still and can't stand him putting his hands on my guy famous B.

Good stuff.

The Brain
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying it a lot as well so far. It's early for me to compare it to other scenes but I did really love the three way, some spectacular visuals in that one.

The Dario Cueto actor should be getting more roles from this show. I've only seen him elsewhere on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

The Brain
    I like the Antonio character but I'm looking forward to getting Dario back as Dario. He's just so damn good in that role, and I think there might be only so far you can go with Antonio.

The Three-Way to the Grave match was the first time I've felt, properly, like we were in 'The Temple'. Something about the lighting and the fighting through the building really added to that.

The Brain
    Mil Muertes emerging from the double doors as Crane looked out over the crowd was as cinematic a moment as they've done in a match, which is saying something. It was only hurt very slightly by the fact that Crane's facial expressions look like a hand puppet on coke.

So, after last night, I think they're bringing the seven Aztec tribes story into this series more heavily. Seems we have them all outlined now:

1. Death - we saw the close-up of the medallion last night for this one. Presumably Muertes and Catrina are in here.
    2. Deer - another medallion close-up from last night. Cuerno, clearly.
    3. Rabbit - Paul London and his weirdos.
    4. Dragon - El Dragon Azteca, El Dragon Azteca Jr, presumably Rey Mysterio Jr too? Also Drago maybe if he breaks the hold on him by the...
    5. Reptile - Kobra Moon, Dragon Penis, Vibrator, Daga.
    6. Moth - Marty and Mariposa
    7. (I'm assuming) Feline - Puma and maybe some as to be revealed characters, unless they go back to Bengala which seems...pretty awful, I guess?

Wondering if this is the season where the seven tribes need to do whatever they have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    7. (I'm assuming) Feline - Puma and maybe some as to be revealed characters, unless they go back to Bengala which seems...pretty awful, I guess?
    I know he was out of shape and all at the end of his LU tenure but Ricky Marvin slander will not be tolerated! He is a brilliant luchador who should be treasured.

I think this season is all about assembling the tribes together and then next season will be them vs. the Lord, with Antonio on the Lord's side and a revived Dario leading the tribes. I still cannot shake the feeling that at some point Dario will be resurrected; I don't know how but it will happen.

Funny you mention Dario. Couple things from this week. Papa Cuetos cloudy eye seems to come and go. In the meeting with Cuerno it was clear and his voice wasn't as gravelly, but when he came out with Matanza it was back. Also, right before that, Striker calls him Dario. Mistake? Is anything in LU a mistake?

With Striker, yes!

But again, I do believe Dario is coming back, regardless of which way. I mostly subscribe to the "he'll be resurrected" theory because we saw what looked to be Dario's corpse in the coffin during that brief funeral scene. I suppose Antonio could be Dario in disguise and that "Dario" we saw was one of the endless supply of wax mannequins the Cueto's keep to throw people off but...I don't know. Plus I'm not sure even in disguise Dario would treat or do to Matanza what he's done thus far in unleashing the full god within him. But we'll see. Either way I think Dario will be back at some point.

The Brain
    Definitely agree Dario is coming back one way or another. He's the true protagonist of the series.

Love that 7 tribes breakdown, Ollie. I'm really hoping Marty winds up being a false member of the tribe though, and screws things up at a key moment. That scene that hinted his whole history could be a lie was spectacular and he's the type that's just begging to break away and join the side that wants the world to end in fire and madness.

I like coming here and reading your guys thoughts. Love the idea of Marty joining the other side to watch the world burn.

Was anyone impressed by Vibora? I think that's his name. He actually got to show some moves on the episode.