Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think Johny really hit his stride in season 3

The Brain
    Yeah, I've always liked the guy but putting it all together with WWU was really top notch.

My life since Wednesday night has been work, drink, watch Lucha underground fall asleep...spent 4 days trying to finish this show

The Brain
    Haha, I'm afraid to ask, but does that mean you're working too much or you're drinking too much?

Lol working.been doing 12 hr days.

Finally finished episode 7 today...I can't get with dragon Aztec Jr. for some reason...he's got great history...matter of fact I really liked whoever played his dad better...again, Aztec Jr has good history with Rey also, but the performer just still falls flat on me...they're gonna really have to do something big to bring him.home.

Pentegon has looked great this season...sure he's running through people but he's not out of challengers. He's still doing a fun cat and mouse game for Cage's arm. Also he's got Marty after his teeth/,title .
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 07-29-2018 at 02:38 PM.

The Brain
    I kind of get you with Azteca. I honestly like him but if he's meant to eventually be a truly central character, he needs something a little more. Wonder what Black Lotus is up to...

That bit with Marty in his creepy apartment was real good. I can fully get behind an extended Marty/Penta program. Marty has some of the highest potential of the whole roster I think, the man embodies his character.

Also, Vampiro saying Pentagon is playing to the fans too much...there's something bigger happening...

The Brain
    I am 100% fascinated by how low key Vampiro has been this season. After the finale I thought he'd have to commit to something more outright but he's been all Ian again.

He does this to brilliance every season...he's slowly brewing something to be sure, though.

Howdi folks. I've taken my first foray into the world of LU with this season 4, and enjoying it so far.

The storyline element feels a lot more slow burn than the likes of NXT, which I'm patient with and enjoying. One of the more interesting stories at the moment for me is the relationship between the Trios champs. It feels very combustible and could blow up at any time. I'd like to see them have a trios title match some point soon to see how it plays out that way.
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

The Brain
    Glad you're on board Clive, I think you'll find a lot to like! Have you seen any of the first three seasons? I'm sure you've heard this before, but if you do get a chance to check them out they are most excellent!

Was shocked by the death tonight. Next week should be interesting.

Hi Mizfan, I have seen highlight videos of Season 1, but that's about it. Sadly, the seasons aren't on the UK version of Netflix which I would have really liked to binge through. I'm enjoying it so far and I may be a day or two behind, but I always go out my way to see it.

Yes that death was interesting, especially as it happened right after the 8 person tag match was made. Wonder what's in store for next week!

This may be a silly question, but I'm guessing a reincarnation is possible in the highly fictitious world of LU?

They've done so much to build the big man this season. Was surprised by that. It was an.awesome cinema though. Only thing Im not big on was how they killed off Big Ryck. When I saw him and the Mack's old footage at the show's start, I was excited to see if Big Ryck was returning. He was a classic character. I'm digging Mil and Mac's fued but have mixed feelings on that particular segment.

Big Ryck has been dead since between season one and season two; he was killed off in the brief comic book spin offs LU was putting out. This was just Catrina retrieving the skull to prove a point to The Mack, as well as a subtle nod to long time fans. And apparently Vibora was written off because the guy who played him got hurt somewhere along the way and couldn't continue. It's likely he'll return in some form (he is a reptile, so perhaps his head grows back?) but because he was hurt they had to write him off for a time.

I have an interesting theory of who may be replacing him next week. Before the season it came out that LU had trademarked the name Jeremiah Snake. That sounds like a spin off name for Jeremiah Crane and, I don't know if anyone noticed, but there was suspiciously a coffin in Kobra Moon's lair when Mundo and Taya invaded it. I wonder if maybe Kobra Moon has the same powers to bring back peeps from the dead like Catrina and Vampiro do, and that to replace Vibora they're going to bring back Crane and rechristen him Jeremiah Snake.

Shit man when say it like that, the skull was genuis.

The coffin is interesting. Very subtle too..love the idea.

Maybe Vibora will return with 2 heads.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 08-04-2018 at 01:29 PM.

The Brain
    Totally interested in that idea for Jeremiah Crane... he's not my favorite guy but he's been at his best in LU, and that's a really interesting way to resurrect him. Very much down with Vibora growing that head back!!

It sucks that Draven got hurt. Vibora was really having an impressive season both in-ring and out. His match with Mundo was one of the highlights of the season IMO. I totally missed the casket in the final scene, so it would make perfect sense if it were Crane/Snake. He'd be a perfect fit for the Reptile Tribe. I'm looking forward to The Mack/Mil confrontation. That should be a really good Hoss battle. Love when two Hosses just beat the crap out of each other. Not sure what it was, but that Main Event fell flat. The ending had ZERO heat behind it at all, despite the Temple's #1 guy being beaten. I expected more of a Believer reaction. Hopefully we can move on from Cage soon and onto someone else.

As for Azteca saying he's holding onto the GOTG until Ultima Lucha, I think we can all agree that is NEVER going to happen, especially with Marty lurking. He's such a good lurker. Good episode, not great. Opening match with PJ and Daga was the highlight until the end reel of "Indiana Mundo and the Temple of Venom"

The Brain
    Handicap matches are usually lame as a rule. It made sense for Penta to refuse a partner, but that doesn't mean it was necessarily compelling.

Yeah, Azteca sure as heck ain't challenging at UL4!

2 things about the handicap match

1. Had a real potential character moment for Cuerno when he did his business like a cold hearted mercenary and walked away.

2. Pentegon rocked the temple. It's refreshing to see a champion that over. Seems special when he's out there. That's how you want it to feel.

The Brain
    I agree about Cuerno, especially him walking away at the end. It wasn't much of a match in the traditional sense but it did it's job, and I can dig that as far as it goes. I think there was probably a way to make it more compelling though. The trios match was my favorite of the night, though the Rabbit Tribe don't seem to have gotten much benefit out of becoming murderers.

I agree that if you're gonna kill Mascarita Sagrada, there should be a better pay off

The Brain
    I assume eventually Killer Kross will come in and yell at them for not being better, but I did expect more of an immediate shift aside from London switching from white clothes to black.

The main event from just a good match point of view wasn't as good as the Gift of the Gods match from the precious week, but like you have all said, it makes sense. You have to sew some seeds before something blooms I suppose.

Crane/Snake is an interesting idea.

I thought the show last week was a bit...I don't know, Raw for my liking?

Maybe that's an odd statement, but to try and contextualise it, I mean the opening match followed by promo just built a match for next week - if that was the start of Raw, it would have been a DQ finish and then an eight man main event, but regardless it's a real Raw booking tactic. Then an in ring promo which LU hardly ever does without it at least having consequence, but this was just Azteca Jr chatting. The trios title match was OK, but very pedestrian for me. And then the main event was the two rivals for a title facing off in tag team action - the only difference being that they made it a handicap match - and then the challenger beating the champion.

Very strange episode, for me, and not one I particularly enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I thought the show last week was a bit...I don't know, Raw for my liking?

Maybe that's an odd statement, but to try and contextualise it, I mean the opening match followed by promo just built a match for next week - if that was the start of Raw, it would have been a DQ finish and then an eight man main event, but regardless it's a real Raw booking tactic. Then an in ring promo which LU hardly ever does without it at least having consequence, but this was just Azteca Jr chatting. The trios title match was OK, but very pedestrian for me. And then the main event was the two rivals for a title facing off in tag team action - the only difference being that they made it a handicap match - and then the challenger beating the champion.

Very strange episode, for me, and not one I particularly enjoyed.
    Yeah I can totally agree with that take on it Oli. All in all not one of their best this season. Hopefully this week we'll bounce back.

This one was a bit too weird/goofy for me. Wasn't digging the cartoon noises. Didn't understand why Johnny is concerned for Aerostar. Johnny's built a character on being selfish up to this point.

They can do better than a show that feels like a spoof.

Still,

Liked what's going on with Johnny and the weird underling with the doll..

..Always love watching Jack Evans, too.

Liked Azteca's cross legged roll up.

Still not a good feel for this show. Doesn't do much for Matunza when Loony Toon noises are playing.

Also, I've said I like the Icehouse Temple and I do, but would like to see them put it over more to build mystique.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 08-09-2018 at 05:08 AM.

It wasn't a fantastic episode yet again. Still have no idea what's going on with the Rabbit Tribe, who now seem to be down to London and Saltador with the White Rabbit not yet being in the mix very much. Interesting note, Mala Suerte/Mr. Cisco has now been killed TWICE on Lucha Underground. I enjoyed the brief Azteca/Mariposa match, but I expected more to it considering the beginning scene. It sort of all amounted to nothing.

The episode was saved slightly by the Atomicos match between the Reptiles and WWU. Adding Crane/Snake to the mix seems to have worked out well, and I'd like to see some continual changes from Jeremiah to help with the transition. Adding Aerostar to the mix worked in terms of the story between he and Drago, as well as further pushing Ricky down the WWU ladder. I didn't have as much of a problem with Johnny using his wish for Aero as some did, as the WWU has been drifting more and more towards the Technicos side of things. Drago screaming his freedom was a feel-good moment, as was the proposal after. Solid Main Event, lackluster opening matches.

The sound effects aren't a new thing; LU used them in season three during that hilarious Famous B/Mascarita Sagrada match where it was really well received. I have no problem with it here either because Mala Suerte, even after Paul London became this darker character a few weeks ago, has never been a serious character and it was fitting with his shtick. It was also clear, to me at least, that London was probably ordered by the White Rabbit to sacrifice Suerte given London's brief mention of Kross in the promo, so on the whole everything in that segment made sense. The only issue I had was that I think it's time for Matanza to move on to something bigger. He's sacrificed enough lower card workers, now it's time to move him onto another challenge.

After that I thought everything was fine to good. The tag match was solid (if not long enough to really stand out) and Azteca/Mariposa was good but way too short; the way the crowd was reacting I almost wonder if they had a long, really good match and LU had to cut it down for time. The main event and everything that came with it was tremendous. The Crane and Aerostar reveals both made sense and both made the match significantly more exciting. Johnny using the wish to help Aerostar also made perfect sense and I'm not sure why people are confused by that; not only have Worldwide Underground become more anti-heroish than villanous but how the hell does anyone think Johnny was able to convince Aerostar to team with them? It was obvious (though not explicitly spelled out) that Aerostar took part because he knew/was promised Johnny would free Drago afterwards and Johnny was fine with that because the whole point was more about avoiding becoming like Drago (a save to the Reptile Tribe) than the wish itself (especially when he didn't need a wish to get what he really wanted; Taya's hand in marriage).

So yeah, I have no qualms with that at all and on top of that the match was really strong. I think LU's problem right now is that while the shows are still (at least for me) very much enjoyable, there hasn't been THE episode yet where it all comes together. There have been good episodes and a lot of good wrestling, but only the Three Way to the Grave show felt super strong from top to bottom. I think they're in need of taking a step up from enjoyable to can't miss and they haven't quite figured it out yet with this season.

Definitely not coming down on the show. After all, last night when I saw it uploaded on my Amazon after a 12.5 hr day of work, I was fucking stoked. Usually it comes up on Thursdays. I do love the Drago-Aerostar friendship reunion. Mentioned other things I really liked. Even the goofy stuff entertained me but would rather have done without it.

Maybe it was too much in one show. Maybe, it's that I'm not seeing the big picture this season as I usually do. I think they're revamping too, because a lot of things ended at Ultimo Lucha Tres. I like that Pentagon is engaging in not so serious feuds as they are entertaining and he's looking really strong. Just think there should be a bit of a bigger conflict in the background more. I think I am seeing a little of it with Vampiro not wanting to see him play to the crowd.

For this show, I don't think rabbit sounds for the darker rabbit tribe falls under the same fun as Mascarita/Famous B. Just seemed kind of cheap and took away from Matunza's story. The fact that the monster has rid Lucha underground twice of Cisco, however, was nice and not lost on me.

I guess I wasn't buying Cobra honoring her word to release Drago and wasn't completely sold on Johnny freeing Drago.

This has in some ways been Mundo's season. Though I hated seeing Vibora go, Johnny cutting his head off is one of the all-time classic moments of Lucha Underground. I suppose we'll see our first Lucha Underground wedding with Taya and Johnny.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 08-10-2018 at 04:40 AM.

The Brain
    I do agree that the cartoon noises were out of place and I hope they don't happen again. Mixed feelings on Mundo giving his wish anyway, but it makes sense to a point I suppose. Loved the proposal, that was great.

I think people are sleeping on how fun that tag match was though. I get a special feeling off of XO, and Ivelisse and Evans are killing it. Even Ryan, who I don't really care for, did a fine job.

And yes, let it not be ignored that Matanza has now in some form or another killed the entire original Crew.

Not sure where this really belongs, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Not sure where this really belongs, but:

I feel like I'm in love with wrestling again!

So let's talk this week's episode. Once again the Rabbit Tribe seems to be headed bye byes as this week Saltador was dispatched to Matanza. I'm really not sure at all where we're going here with this storyline. Definitely going with the long-play on this one.

Killshot pulled double duty and had a really fine match with El Dragon Azteca Jr. but then decides to go full heel in the Trios match costing his team the belts. Can't say I'm fond of the Reptiles holding the belts, but we'll see where it goes from here. Crane/Snake seems to be annoying me more and more each week. But damn Kobra Moon has some abs.

Then we had a full on brawl between Cage and Pentagon that spilled out everywhere and continued well past the credits. Next week is Last Man or Machine Standing. This SHOULD be pretty good and I feel like we need another home run to get things back on track again.

So, my one pet peeve of this week is the announced "Haunted House" match between The Mack and Mil Muertes. Is it just me or does this seem like some bad timing in terms of where this was placed? It's happening the first week of September, in a Halloween themed match, where The Mack ends the segment with "Trick or Treat Mother F...." Am I missing something here or is this just poorly planned out in terms of timing?

The Brain
    I feel like we'll get a new Rabbit Tribe with London, Kross, and whoever that was in his weird little cage. We know the Rabbits are part of the 7 tribes thing, so they'll have to continue in some form for sure.

Killshot/Azteca was my favorite match of the episode by a mile, I thought they really killed it. One of Azteca's best singles matches so far, for sure. Killshot going heel makes a lot of sense, as you have Killshot/Havoc to work through and now of course Mack/Muertes, which has got me REALLY excited. I agree with Rob in that it seems like it's a couple months early but I'm not hung up on it, I think there's very little chance that match won't absolutely rule.

I absolutely agree that Crane has seemed more and more annoying lately. I liked him as much as I ever did in season 3 because he mostly seemed to keep his most obnoxious habits to a minimum, but now I guess he's comfortably fully reveling in his ridiculous Callihan-ness. He's becoming a real drag to watch for me, and I find myself wishing he stayed dead and someone else came back. I know some people love the guy but he's just getting under my skin lately, and not in a good way.

I feel like Pentagon and Cage have an AWESOME match in them just waiting to come out, but they haven't quite made it there yet. The brawl was a very positive sign though, and if they can carry that energy over to the match I think it could be that home run you mentioned.

One of the best shows of the season.

Lucha Underground and Dragon Azteca are making a real case for him this season. I'm starting to think he will hold the belt till Ultima Lucha after all and, ya know, up till this season he was just a water melon head to me but I'm buying his fighting spirit. There's a weird nod to Bret Hart in him trying to do cool finishes and good/ different matches with different competitors.

Not against the Reptile Tribe winning the belts. I don't like them but they are heels after all. I think the alliance has stepped it up a notch this season. Great Texas Tornado match. But the real story was the heel turn. Thought it was one of the best ones I've seen in a long time.

Gotta say though, don't forget about the beautiful Aerostar/Drago segment! Aerostar could really challenge hard for those trios titles.

My new favorite line is "trick or treat, motherfucker!"

The brawl was very cool. I've actually found the fued between Cage and Pentegon very good. I think they just need to go back and give a little more reason to Cage's initial attack. I know he just wants to gun down the champion, but show something that explains that even. That's a minor complaint though. Good fued. Pentegon is looking like a champion this season.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 08-18-2018 at 04:06 AM.

I enjoyed the Drago/Aerostar segment from this week, it was some nice character development between the two.

I guess I'm alone with liking this new Reptile Tribe. There's definitely off putting aspects about Sami Callihan's personality but I really enjoy the dude in the ring and that trios match largely worked because he was in there taking the technicos offense and helping Kobra Moon on her big spots. That shit wasn't going to be as good with someone like Vibora; I know he's improved and he looked great with Johnny Mundo, but we need to remember that was still one match against Johnny Mundo. There's no guarantee he would've been as reliable for Kobra Moon on those tricky double teams or that he would've gelled as well with Mack and Killshot, two guys Crane has a ton of experience with. Throw in Daga, who's excellent but not particularly flashy so he doesn't get the recognition and this is a much more exciting team than before, even if Drago and Pindar were pretty fun separately. I think they'll make good champs and at least now we can move on with the Killshot/Mack/Havoc angle, which was going to get tiring if they just kept being dysfunctional champs for the whole season.

I wouldn't worry about the Haunted House match either. It seems more like it's just playing off Mil Muertes being a darker character and the Antonio Cueto stuff was just them getting some humor out of the whole thing, not to mention Willie Mack quoting Busta Rhymes from Halloween: Resurrection. Plus I'm told the match is pretty great so there's that too.

Cult, I will say I appreciate the Reptiles this season. I like that I don't like them. They have a heel effect on me and that's a good, rare thing. I think some of the over the top stuff Jeremiah does would be better left for cinema, but the tag moves were fine and the green venom good for his character. I think this could set up good challenges from Aerostar and Drago. Maybe, Moon set Drago free because she feels she can have him back anytime she will?
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 08-18-2018 at 07:22 PM.