The Walking Thread (TWD Discussion With POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

I know a lot of people have turned on The Walking Dead over the last few years, as it honestly seems that the big "in" thing to do these days is to loudly announce your dismay with something and continue to beat others over the head with that opinion long after you've quit watching. Kinda the entertainment equivalent of losing your girlfriend and then talking about her incessantly for the next few years despite swearing up and down that you're "over" her.

Anywho, the show has definitely had its ups and downs. That said, I'm still a big fan, as are plenty of others. The latter could well change soon, though.

News is coming out that apparently Andrew Lincoln (who portrays main character Rick Grimes) and Lauren Cohan (who portrays crucial character Maggie Rhee) are both set to leave the show after the next season. In Cohan's situation it appears to be motivated in large part by then not wanting to pay her an amount that reflects the importance of her character, where in Lincoln's case word has it that he's mostly tired of spending so much time away from his family in England as he films the show in Atlanta, GA for months on end. I also saw a report that he was looking to venture into film a bit more.

This is a potential show killer. Backlash was pretty strong over the departure of Chandler Riggs and subsequent onscreen death of his character, Carl Grimes. People were mad about how drastically that ventures away from the storyline of the comic book source material, mad about how Riggs was (at least according to his dad and some reports) treated very poorly by the show and, of course, just people pissed about one of their favorite characters dying. To follow that up with losing the character and actor that the show has been largely built around and a character in Maggie that is just really starting to come into her own after years of loyalty is potentially putting the show's shelf life at risk.

Further reports have it that Norman Reedus has been offered a fat contract to stick around and have his incredibly popular character, Daryl Dixon, take over as the show's lead. If you're being confronted with the shit sandwich situation that this is, I suppose the best bet it to put it all on the one character that fans have blatantly stated must live, lest they riot.

What do you guys think about all this? And just a request, here, but can we keep the, "This show has sucked all of the dicks for years," chatter to a minimum? If you don't dig the show anymore, cool. I'm not trying to talk anyone into tuning back in. It would be cool to hear from folks actively still watching how they think things will change due to all of this, which is obviously a big shakeup.

The two characters that keep me watching these days are Rick and Michonne. Without Rick, honestly I completely lose interest in the show. I liked how, despite the parody of a zombie apocolypse, you followed one main character through it all- that is Rick. If the show continues on, and he just dies, I've lost my anchor in that world. At that point it feels like everything I've experienced as a viewer has been for nothing. If we lose all the original characters then it honestly takes away an aspect of character development I personally need to enjoy watching. I like the thought of watching one character make it through it all, from episode one to series finale. Without that narrative I just lose all focus in the show honestly. I think that's why people flipped out about Carl, because he and Rick were the only two left from the very, very beginning (aside from Morgan, though gladly he is still kicking around on the other show, which I might start watching solely because of him tbh). Honestly, I could give a shit less about Maggie. Her character has been stale and boring for like 6 seasons now.

I personally wonder if Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan are jumping ship because of how things went down with Chandler Riggs? Maybe this is them telling the producers they didnt like how that was handled?

I'm not really watching currently, not gonna bash the show but ever since Negan showed up, I think in some respects, its taken a down turn. The casting situation is a curious one though and is another reminder that if you're adapting something to TV, its not all gonna go how you plan. You can keep all the characters you want in a book but Actors simply have other desires than to play and be known for one character... Now if the show was ending soon (and can't see that given its still AMC and one of cable's most popular shows) then that's one thing.. but Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohen have other interests and needs. It sucks but its business.

Also Lauren Cohen is a lead in a new ABC show. Maybe she doesn't want the extra workload.

That said, while i think making Daryl the lead is the right move to make.. there's also a set of fans who hate Daryl and might just leave the show in mass exodus cause they'd have no one else to root for.
    Last edited by LK3185; 05-31-2018 at 02:16 AM.

I'll be honest, (mostly) female fans have ruined Darryl for me. That "he cant die or we riot" shit makes me not like him. Like fans are holding the show hostage. Let the storytellers story tell. Plus, truthfully, Darryl hasnt been all that interesting since Merle died. Its like the writers largely forgot he is a part of the show once that season ended. He used to be cool as the other side of the pillow.

I actually wouldnt mind as much if Carol took over. Her character development has been the best of any character on the show. Plus she's one of what, 3 remaining characters from season 1 now including Rick?

Edit= Happy Birthday, Lazy!
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 05-31-2018 at 07:51 AM.

I think that Lincoln has seen the writing on the wall. The show is in a downturn, ranging from huge fan backlash to ratings dropping. It is always better to leave on top, then to get cancelled.

Also, that the show insults your intelligence. They kill off characters that should remain alive, and keep character alive that they should kill off. i.e. Killing Carl and Negan is still alive? We had 2 years of Negan being the big baddie, and Rick's entire motive was to kill Negan, and they haven't after 2 years!!! That is character insult. Not only insulting with characters, but the time frames. The show's time line is about 632 days (according to The Walking Dead Wiki) and that is about 1.7 years! and Judith has grown to be about 1.5-2 years old, yet Maggie is still not even showing that she is pregnant. Then you have the fact that Carl aged and grew up over the course of 8 years, and no one in the show noticed?

I know we are supposed to suspend disbelief on a TV show or comic, but at least have some consistency within your own universe. On GOT, they imply that months pass when groups travel between Kingdoms, and they also characters blatantly say that months, to years have passed. TWD does not do that. Maybe Lincoln is also tired of having to explain crap like that in interviews, and is tired of playing the character, and maybe he is tired of the deviation from the comics? No one really knows.

The Walking Dead read it's own press clippings and thinks it is better than it is. Again, maybe Lincoln is tired of the show, and that people are losing interest. Maybe Cohan is too. Also maybe that the producers know that if "Rick and Maggie" leave the show, they have to at least keep "Darryl" with a huge payout. I do not see the show working at all without Rick, but who knows.

There is only one true upside to next year, is that Morgan is finally off the show.
    Last edited by Powder; 05-31-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Negan being alive goes right in line with the comic and his awesome character becomes even better for it. It's a great arc. The TV writers definitely could have written it better but Carl's death was supposed to inspire Rick to let people live.

Killing Carl was fucking stupid though and not part of the comics.

Time to end the show if Lincoln is leaving.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 05-31-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    There is only one true upside to next year, is that Morgan is finally off the show.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! BOO THIS MAN!

Morgan is fucking awesome.

No way. Not sure if you remember, but i have hated Morgan since his return to the show. Especially when the "did Glen die" episode, and the next week, instead of getting our answer, we had to sit though a 90 minute torture episode of Morgan's backstory. Awful.

I definitely remember. And I loved that Morgan episode. Not only did it give us an awesome single episode character, played by the dude that played Drew Carey's older brother, but it was a genuinely well written, character building episode. We will never see eye to eye on this because we think the exact opposite on it. I think Morgan has been one of the best characters on the show in all 8 seasons. His character arc in the zombie apocolypse is such a deep romanticism for the lone cowboy. Straight up spaghetti western, Clint Eastwood motherfucker. The guy loses his wife and little boy, goes fucking insane, finds a purpose to live, and then humanity drags him back down to hell, where he stares it in its eyes and laughs. You absolutely can not kill the guy, because he is already dead inside. I mean fuck....

Him, Michonne, and Rick are the biggest baddasses the show has seen imo.

I will agree to disagree about Morgan. Not worth rehashing old arguments. I think he is the worst character ever, and you think he is the best. No problem. To each his own. (To make a wrestling comparison, I am the adults in the audience for Cena and Reigns, and you are the women and children, lol).

Michonne has been neutered. She was a badass, now she is a housewife.
    Last edited by Powder; 06-02-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    I definitely remember. And I loved that Morgan episode. Not only did it give us an awesome single episode character, played by the dude that played Drew Carey's older brother, but it was a genuinely well written, character building episode. We will never see eye to eye on this because we think the exact opposite on it. I think Morgan has been one of the best characters on the show in all 8 seasons. His character arc in the zombie apocolypse is such a deep romanticism for the lone cowboy. Straight up spaghetti western, Clint Eastwood motherfucker. The guy loses his wife and little boy, goes fucking insane, finds a purpose to live, and then humanity drags him back down to hell, where he stares it in its eyes and laughs. You absolutely can not kill the guy, because he is already dead inside. I mean fuck....

Him, Michonne, and Rick are the biggest baddasses the show has seen imo.
    I enjoy Morgan a lot too, plus he's been a breath of fresh air on Fear the Walking Dead (and Dillahunt). Morgan is the reason I still love the pilot as my favorite episode of the series. Such a powerful scene.