Thread: Fallout

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar

Fallout

I'm a pretty big fan of the Fallout series, so here's a thread to share the love (or hate, if you have any) of this franchise.

Today Bethesda announced a new Fallout game, titled Fallout 76:

It's just a teaser trailer with no gameplay shown, so no one really knows if this is going to be a first-person game like Fallout 3 / New Vegas / 4, a simulation type game like Fallout Shelter, or something completely new. I really hope it's a follow-up to Fallout 4.

Excited about this one if it is a Fallout 4 follow-up.

I've seen some speculation that it may be a strictly online game, though, which would dampen my excitement.

I've tried to get into Fallout a few times but it has never stuck me. Any tips for getting into it?

Man, I'm not sure. Stick with it, would probably be my attempt at advice. The first Fallout game I played was 3, and to begin with, I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. Purely because I didn't particularly want to waste 30, I kept playing, and I got really into it. It can take a while to get going, but the Fallout worlds are so immersive and detailed, and there's tonnes to do when you really get going.
    Last edited by Pringle; 05-31-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    That's about the same thing that I would say. I also started off with Fallout 3, which I bought because it was just $20 and it included a cool-looking Vault Boy bobblehead figure. Once I got past the first couple of hours I was hooked with the whole atmosphere of the wasteland.

A lot of people consider New Vegas to be the best Fallout of the last three, so maybe that would be a good first Fallout game to try. I would agree but just slightly. All three to me are great and have very similar mechanics of gameplay, you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

I was a bit disappointed with 76 to be honest.

For new comers,Fallout 1 is the way to go. I find fallout 3/4/76 to be more action oriented. Never played Vegas. The original is still the nest, if you are willing to be sucked into the entire concept, atmosphere and character building aspect. The depth in character building is so good that newer games haven’t even match up. For example, if you create a character with the lowest intelligence, his conversations will only consist of broken words and grunts the entire game! That means NPCs will react differently, some hostile, some sympathetic, resulting in almost a completely different experience, where you sometimes take intelligent boosting pills just to get to some quests. The dialogue tree changes completely with hidden paths if you have for example barter or speech perks. Combat is even more varied, with sniper builds to fast gun builds with no aim, knife throwing etc.

I can’t say enough good things about Fallout 1. Let’s just say it’s actually revolutionary for its time (1998) and changed RPG forever.