Thread: Velveteen Dream

Velveteen Dream

One of the finds of 2017. He played a very important role in the Takeover Ladder Match and currently has a pretty good feud going with Ricochet.

I hope they go a very slow burn with Dream. The guy is young and has shown great signs at being able to inject character and stories even into just single matches, the last thing I'd want to see is them rush him through Thr ranks and miss out on a bunch of awesome mid card feuds.

Just thinking about it now he could be the perfect long term North American title holder for NXT.

Do you see him being WWE Champion or "The Guy" one day? He has the charisma.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

To early to tell if he will be 'The Guy' for his generation,he has the charisma and seems to have a lot of ability. I think as a potential future WWE Champion he is as safe a bet as you could ever get on someone that is only 21.

Even if he isn't The Guy, with the likes him and Pete Dunne coming through you know the future is in safe hands.

The Brain
    He's definitely got championship potential all over him. I feel like being "The Guy" might be out of his reach, not so much because of his talent but because WWE has never really gone all in on a guy like him.

I just hope WWE don't ruin him when he comes up to the main roster like they have done with so many before

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    He's definitely got championship potential all over him. I feel like being "The Guy" might be out of his reach, not so much because of his talent but because WWE has never really gone all in on a guy like him.
    is this referring to the gimmick? Because while i don't think the gimmick = top guy for WWE, I also could see it being tweaked where he gets there anyway. The biggest danger Dream has is overexposure. You don't want him being on the main roster and stale at 26... All the mistakes they made with Bray, they can't make with Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickricky316 View Post
    I just hope WWE don't ruin him when he comes up to the main roster like they have done with so many before
    That is one of the reasons I want him in NXT for as long as possible. The roster up top is far too big as well, I can just see him being consigned to a bunch of New Day segments and before you know it he has lost his x-factor.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    is this referring to the gimmick? Because while i don't think the gimmick = top guy for WWE, I also could see it being tweaked where he gets there anyway. The biggest danger Dream has is overexposure. You don't want him being on the main roster and stale at 26... All the mistakes they made with Bray, they can't make with Dream.
    I was partly thinking of the gimmick, for sure. It could be tweaked, like they dialed back the rapper thing with Cena, so it's possible. Was also thinking of his size, though I guess he's about the same size as Shawn Michaels so it's possible. I hate to say it, but part of me also wonders if his race will play a factor. Hopefully not.

VD is the future! I hope he gets the big title by 27, because they could build off him for over a decade. With him, yes the gimmick has to be scaled back, but in the time you build him up for that spot, you'll find that right balance. I don't worry about his race, as by the time he's ready, I think Triple H will have more power. I think Trips would love to feature a black wrestler if possible on top. I can also see his feud with Ricochet going into the main roster. Ricochet is in his prime, 29 years old and he's got a good 6 year run in him to really make an impact on the main roster. Hell, VD is so young, you can move up Ricochet, and save VD's win over Ricochet until then.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    VD is the future!
    Deliberate?

Anyway, I was saying to someone (Doc, maybe) on Twitter a few weeks back, at his age it's impossible to guess what his ceiling could be. How much he continues to want it could be a factor. Based on where he is now you can't rule anything out.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I think there is a hell of a lot more to Velveteen Dream than meets the eye. Sure, he has an OTT gimmick nailed down to a tee. And he's rubbing shoulders with all the indie darlings he can get his hands on. But something clicked for me with Dream recently that paints his last 6-8 months in a very positive light for me.

I don't want to go on too much about it, because I want to write a column solely about his character which I hope to write over the next week or so, and I want to save my gushing for that piece.

Nevertheless, till then, I am very very impressed with this young man and feel that he could be a very popular wrestler for years to come.
    Last edited by 205 Clive; 06-05-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Summerslam Weekend Preview Podness

OTT? Now the kids say "Being Extra" and my man's is Extra as all hell.

The Brain
    I do think he has an advantage in some ways, because he's got enough character to stand out whether he's matched up against indy darlings or not. Then again, he could end up Tyler Breeze'd in the end. God, I hope not!

I feel like he's going to have a Rick Rude sort of role in the future, where he's never really 'The Guy' but he'll be looked back at as someone who was never really as high up the card as he perhaps should have been. It'll sound funny, but he's probably going to lose this feud to Ricochet, he's already lost the feud to Black...he's going to run out of steam soon. We're already in a situation where his last televised win was at the end of February - and it doesn't look like that's going to change much before the end of June.

Can they keep him hot and a threat without any notable wins, even over scrubs on a weekly basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Can they keep him hot and a threat without any notable wins, even over scrubs on a weekly basis?
    This is one of the two great questions about Velveteen Dream. The other is can WWE hold off long enough on strapping the rocket to him till he's ready? The dude absolutely has nailed down the character aspects and is loaded with charisma...but he's absolutely mediocre in the ring right now. I watched the match with Ohno at the Houston Takeover and the ladder match in New Orleans; he was brutal to watch in the former and was fortunate to be hidden/in a match with ECIII in the other. He's done well with Black and now with Ricochet but that's freakin Black and Ricochet; those guys are on such a level that they can turn anything into gold in ring (which makes it all the more troubling for both Dream and especially Ohno that they got nothing out of their match). He's not always going to have those guys to work with in the immediate future and if WWE decides to push him when he's still inconsistent in the ring over more established/popular names...that's a problem. The Roman Reigns embarrassment has proven it's borderline impossible to close the box once you've made a huge mistake like that. They have to play the long game with Dream and I'm not sure with WWE's track record they can do that.

What didn't you like about Dream vs Ohno? It was a lot of holds (which I don't hate in my wrestling), but Dream is so limited in what he can do with Ohno. Ohno looks sandbaggy, so if I'm Dream's size I'm gonna keep trying to lift him to a minimum, thus you get what we got: strikes and holds.

Ohno seems to have lost some of that pep in his step, and I think he's put on some more weight that's making him a lot heavier to do anything with.

Overall, though, I thought they had a decent match other than that fuck up spot where Dream for some reason tried to catch Ohno jumping and hit him with the cartwheel driver (that's a blown out knee waiting to happen with a guy Ohno's size).

Yeah, I didn't mind Ohno vs Dream that much either - didn't love it, but didn't mind it.

I suppose the big test comes with him being put against someone that isn't going to pull up their end - could he, for example, work a strong match against Lars Sullivan (who I love, by the way, but he's a completely different kind of worker).

The thing is, what Dream is doing in a lot of his matches is story driven - both Dream and Ricochet stuff is going to be one hundred percent driven by story and acting. The ladder match and, largely, the Ohno match didn't have that stuff behind it so it's perhaps harder to hide his slight rawness in the ring. But equally, the story side of matches is what someone like Reigns doesn't have and, while he is a pretty competent wrestler and rarely has an objectively 'bad' match (Lesnar and the Backlash Joe debacle aside), he doesn't have the story side of things going that really elevate his matches to being great. Even in The Shield, it was Rollins and Ambrose who told the stories, while Reigns added the punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 Clive View Post
    I want to write a column solely about his character which I hope to write over the next week or so, and I want to save my gushing for that piece.
    With real life getting in the way, this Dream column will either be late or postponed indefinitely. Hashtag sadface.

There have been points brought up above that this is a very story driven feud and I agree wholeheartedly. This won't be a spotfest for spotfest's sake. I think the hype video below sums it up perfectly. So excitednfoe this match it's silly.

Summerslam Weekend Preview Podness

Really enjoyed the match with Velveteen Dream. Perhaps it was a little over done and tried a little to hard to be 'EPIC' but at the same time our boy Dream sure as hell bought along the character we have come to expect from him.

NXT or NXT North American Champ by the end of the year?

Hopefully by the end of next week, if it gets it off of Adam 'Catchphrase' Cole.

The Brain
    Dream definitely feels like a better fit than Cole. Then again, if you ask me everyone is a better fit than Cole.

I feel like in the same way Pete Dunne has been built up and kind of made his name defending the UK Title Dream could make his name with the NA Title. Make it synonyms with him and it will forever be a belt for young up and comers to go for to build their name.