Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NJPW Dominion 2018

We're around a month away from Dominion. Thoughts on what we're likely to see at the event?

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    What we're likely to see? Hopefully the best show that has ever existed in the world of pro wrestling. I say that selfishly because I have front-row seats to the event and am extremely hyped. In all seriousness, they're going all out on this show.

The main event, of course, will be the most-talked about thing here. Okada and Omega have such amazing chemistry with each other. The added stipulation that it's going to be two out of three falls with no time limit is insane. There was chatter online that the match is going loooong, like 90 minutes or some ridiculous number like that. I'm not sure about that in today's wrestling climate, but if there's any pair that can pull it off nowadays, it's these two guys. I'm going to guess they'll be given about an hour or so in any case, which will still be long any way you slice it.

Jericho vs. Naito is also interesting. Would it be crazy to think that New Japan is crazy enough to give Jericho a short Intercontinental title run, maybe dropping it back to Naito in the Cow Palace show?

The other thing I'm really curious about is who will be Rey Mysterio's opponent. They'll probably go ahead with the previously-scheduled match between him and Jushin Thunder Liger, but something I read online was more interesting - Will Ospreay winning the Best of Super Juniors tournament and picking Mysterio as his opponent. Given Ospreay's year, it's a strong possibility and it was teased kinda directly at the Strong Style Evolved show, so who knows.

Okada/Omega IV has me so, so hyped, and I can see it leaning in to the no time limit stipulation really heavily one way or the other. Like, either it goes 30 minutes and they really just played everyone, or it goes 90 minutes with a fall every 30 or something.

I want Scurll vs Rey, just to pay off that mask stealing from before.

And I certainly think there's a chance they give Jericho a short IC Title run, yeah, and in a way why not? They can, as you say, put the rematch on at Cow Palace.

With the recent 'return' of Bone Solider aka Taiji Ishimori could they give the BOTS win to him to challenge Ospreay? Leaving Rey to either the originally planned Liger, which Rey has mentioned he wants to do, or as Oliver says even Scrull which would be a fun match.

The Brain
    I'm less enthralled generally by the Okada/Omega series than most. I do find the matches interesting, but they have kind of been marathons to get through, and have more flaws than I feel like people are willing to admit. I'm half interested and half in fear of a no time limit match, because I don't know if I can handle how long these two might want to go. I do really like the idea of Omega finally winning the belt, I think it's time and the story is there.

Naito/Jericho is probably more or less interesting to you depending on whether you like Omega/Jericho. For my part, I liked it much more than I thought I would. I didn't think it was great and thought it was pretty clear Omega was driving most of the action, but it was definitely good. I like Naito more than Omega overall but I'm not sure if he'll have the same chemistry with Jericho. I'll be interested, at least!

LIJ vs. the Bucks might be good, I'm not a huge Bucks fan but I can see value in them winning the title right now, as the BC breakup stuff is very hot.

Goto/Elgin/Taichi is a weird one to me. I'm not sure New Japan needed to add three way matches to their repertoire, to be honest, especially kind of a weird one here. Anyway, I've liked Elgin in the past but not enough to really want to see much more of him after the recent controversy. Taichi is underrated so maybe he'll get a nice nod here. I've never had much time for Goto, in all honesty.

I can dig Ospreay/Mysterio. I'm not as high on Ospreay as I used to be as I feel like he's come to embody some negative indy stereotypes (sell, sell, sell, do a billion moves, oh right back to selling, then kick out at one) but he did have a legitimately great match with Rey last year in the UK, so I think Mysterio is good enough to reign him in and bring out the best in him. Ospreay/Ishimori might be interesting but doesn't light the world on fire for me. Mysterio/Scurll is more interesting because yeah, they set it up, though Scurll is another guy I'm less high on than I used to be as his shtick has kind of gotten out of control.

I think for New Japan fans the show will definitely deliver. I'm a little more mixed on them so the results for me personally will probably be the same, but if you've liked them so far this year this will be another great one for you.

Amazing that Deg has front row tickets though! I look forward to scanning the rail for a guy towering over everyone else!

Am I right in thinking Ospreay vs Ishimori is set for night one of BOSJ?

The Brain
    Yup, you got it!

Best part should Taichi get a run is we'd be able to see his full performance!

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

One thing I was thinking about yesterday was with Omega entangled with Okada and the rest of the Bullet Club drama, where does this leave Ibushi? And what happens to them if Omega wins? I dig that there are a lot of possibilities that can happen after Dominion, with the G1 coming up soon after.

I forgot about LIJ versus the Young Bucks, too. I'm really curious seeing how the Bucks will fare against the heavyweights. I hope they do well. I didn't get the hype about them before but they've grown on me a lot in New Japan.

The Brain
    I think someone (Cult?) floated Ibushi/Omega at Wrestle Kingdom, which is an idea I am seriously down for.

Seeing as I called how this card was going to down despite certain people doubting me (Mourn!), let me tell you all how this is now going to go! Kenny is beating Okada at Dominion. There's little doubt in my mind about that. It's Okada so you can never say never, but now that's he broken the title defense record, become the longest reigning champion in history and holds the record for the most combined days as champion all he has left to beat are combined title defenses and title reigns. You can break the former during this reign but you can't break the latter unless he loses the title a few more times (and obviously he can break the former record upon winning the title back). Combine that with New Japan likely wanting Omega, who has been their number one US draw, as champion going into the Cow Palace and Kenny now saying he wants Ibushi in his corner for emotional support and that's all you need to know. Kenny is winning the title. He and Ibushi will then have a moment, the Bucks may come down and make up with Kenny to make even more emotional and afterwards Cody, who as I pointed out in the Bullet Club thread has a legit case for being number one contender, will make a challenge backstage to set up Kenny-Cody II at the Cow Palace.

After that I have no idea. I would personally keep the title on Kenny, have Ibushi win the G1 and set those two up for the Wrestle Kingdom main event. But that would leave Okada out of the main event and considering he's the new Ace I just can't see that happening unless he and Jericho is the plan, in which case that can be a semi-main. Otherwise my guess is that sometime in the fall Kenny will drop the title to Naito, the next guy who deserves to have a title run. Okada will in the meantime take home the G1, setting up Naito-Okada II at the Dome where you can either have Naito get his revenge or Okada gets the title back; either or works. Kenny and Ibushi can then have their match lower on the card and it'll either be where Kenny finally proves to Ibushi he's better or Ibushi beats him and Kenny goes off to WWE. Again either or works. Again, maybe that all gets changed around if Jericho does decide to stick around and work Okada (which is the next step for him after Naito) and New Japan decides to run with Naito in the Nakamura role as IC Championship ace. But my head tells me Naito/Okada headlines again with Ibushi/Omega as the semi-main, while my heart says Ibushi/Omega main events.

As for other Dominion predictions quick; the Bucks will beat EVIL and SANADA for the tag titles, BUSHI and Hiromu will finally conquer Desperado and Kanemaru to win the Jr. Tag Titles, there will be another "get everyone on the card!" NEVER Six Man Title gauntlet, Cody will defeat Ibushi to further cement his #1 contendership status, Suzuki and Tanahashi will battle in a special one on one match (the winner will determine whether they're going to drag that out till Wrestle Kingdom or if Tanahashi gets his revenge now), Mysterio will face and defeat Scurll, Ospreay will defeat Ishimori and then challenge Mysterio to a match at the Cow Palace, Taichi will defeat Goto and Shitty Elgin to win the NEVER Openweight Championship, Juice will defeat Jay White to win the US Championship (though I'm secretly hoping White retains, pisses off Ishii and gets challenged by him to a match at the Cow Palace, where Ishii wins the title) and finally, Jericho will upset Naito to win the IC title after SANADA turns (that's right, turns) on Naito and forms a stable with Jericho. Maybe EVIL joins as well. Naito then regains the IC Title at the Cow Palace and transitions into a feud with SANADA that helps establish him as a singles star. Thank you and please drive home safe.

Sanada working with Jericho means he'll still play that shitty heel persona... Probably the least interested character in New Japan for me... He should work face against Evil.

Otherwise, I think the predictions are pretty much spot on. Do wish Rey sticks around a bit to work KUSHIDA

Also, I think Omega is the type of guy where I don't think he'll want to a 100 min epic with Okada unless they had vastly different falls planned.. This is the same guy who's wrestled a blowup doll, a 9 year old kid and has Toru Yano's best comedy matches. He knows what people expect and I think he'll go against the grain to try to keep them fresh.

Can't wait for Dominion. Could be the best show all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    (Mourn!)
    KRAMER!

What? I don't try to dive that analytical into the product. Most my predictions are from a fan's perspective. I don't go for accuracy.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

Night two of BotSJ has been amazing. Go out of your way to see it. I haven't even seen the main yet.

The Brain
    What's your favorite match of the tourney so far, Mourn?

I can't speak for Mourn but through the first three nights and the first match of night four, Chris Sabin vs. SHO. Sabin has still got it! I think he might be even better now than he was in TNA. And SHO looks like a superstar in the making.

The Brain
    Wow, good for Sabin!! I thought his best high flying days were past him when he blew out his knee the second(?) time, but I always like the guy. I'm all for him showing that he's got lots left in the tank.

I admit, I'm still waiting for SHO and YOH to really click for me, but I've only seen them a few times so far so I gotta make time to check them out more closely.

His best flying days are behind him (though he still does a little bit of it); what's happened is he's become an incredible technical wrestler. I couldn't believe how good he was against SHO, who granted has always been really solid (I loved him as Raijin in CMLL) and now looks like a superstar in the making. They were tremendous. And naturally they were topped a few matches later by Hiromu and Desperado. I'd go the full five stars on it. What a match; so much intensity to it.

The Brain
    Damn!! That is one that I'm gonna have to check out. For some reason I've barely seen any Desperado stuff, gotta plug that knowledge gap for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    What's your favorite match of the tourney so far, Mourn?
    Of what I've seen? Toss betwen Hiromu/Scurll or Sabin/Kushida

Seriously, that Sabin/Kushi match was smooth.

The Brain
    KUSHIDA is probably my favorite Junior going right now, with Hiromu being the only other guy in serious contention. Can't wait to check out some of this stuff when I have time.

I know we're only a handful of nights in and it could all go to crap, but this is the most promising opening to a BOSJ I can remember seeing in recent years, for me. And we've still got Takahashi and Dragon Lee trying to kill each other to come, among other stuff.

Despie/Hiromu is my favourite match so far. That thing was lucha as shit, and just an absolute brawl.

The Brain
    Is Dragon Lee vs. Hiromu Takahashi the greatest in ring feud of the past few years? I honestly feel like it should be in the conversation. It's amazing how they absolutely kill it every time they go out there, and they do so without having to go 45+ minutes.

LOP Freebirds Buddy Roberts SirSam's Avatar
    I'm going to be away for the weekend of Dominion on a camp. I will find it so hard to avoid spoilers for this one.

I am 1 part intrigued about the main event, 1 part excited, 1 part worried at exactly how long it will go for.

I wonder exactly what Naito and Jericho will get up to and Will Osprey has been damn near untouchable this year.

This will be the first time I've watched Dominion, how does it normally compare to Wrestle Kingdom in terms of show size?

Think of it as the Summerslam of New Japan. its in the second biggest building they run annually and i'd say only show that probably matches it is the G1 Climax final but that's more like a Royal Rumble show to me.

The Brain
    I hope Omega and Okada pull a Joe/Punk and shock everyone by going short. I don't see much chance that happens though, if it goes under 75 minutes I'll be surprised, and I won't be shocked if it goes over 100.

Honestly, as far as juniors go, I think I've enjoyed Takahashi this year more than Ospreay.

I will admit that I haven't been following closely at all so I'm hardly an authority on who is really hot and who is not but what I have been watching I've really enjoyed, particularly from Osprey.

The Brain
    I think more people are in your camp than mine, I've heard some say he's having a banner year. I thought the Scurll match was good rather than great but most people loved it, so that's probably part of the disconnect right there.

I know people expect Omega/Okada to go really long but i wouldn't be shocked if they went just over 60 minutes... I know New Japan likes their long mains but its quite hard to make a 70 plus minute match that compelling.. plus you have other stuff on the show. I think Omega is smart enough to know that you don't have to go too long.

I wouldn't want to see them go over an hour long. But then again, I thoroughly enjoyed last year's hour-long draw so provided that they can bring something as compelling, I think it'll blow the roof off the place.

I was thinking sometime last week that it would be interesting if they did something like one of them gets the first fall in under a minute for the shock value, and then have the rest of the bout take over an hour.

The 2 out of three falls stip plays a huge part in why i don't think it will go into 90 min territory or even be close to that. For 2 falls, you need a match that is different to the last fall, while being entertaining. I don't doubt their ability but finisher spam is not the way to go.. in fact, I still want the One Winged Angel protected no matter what happens

In the last episode of Being The Elite, there's a short little montage of Kenny Omega training for his match against Okada. I never realized how jacked the guy is. He's really in shape for this event. I can't wait!

Speaking of the show, there's only five matches officially announced with just under a week away from the show. The New Japan website says that there will be 8-10 matches, but I think usually by this time the card is already set up, right? I wonder if that's a sign that the main event is going long and they're keeping the card open with some quick filler just in case.

The Brain
    I don't usually watch BTE but I did see a bit of that, and yeah, Omega looks ridiculous in that shot. He was probably using every bobybuilder trick in the book to look as jacked as possible but yeah, very impressive physique. Still think he's winning the belt, feels like it's time.

When I first saw the line up I assumed they were gonna throw a bunch of multi-man matches on the card, as they tend to do, but now considering the idea that Omega/Okada goes 2 hours, haha.

Kenny is bodied up for sure.

I wonder what role, if any the Cody/Young Bucks/Ibushi story will play in the match? I can't imagine it not playing into it at all but then again if the title is indeed going to change hands after such a momentous run by Okada surely they won't want it to be on a screwy finish. NJPW strikes me as a little too serious for that kind of thing.

I hope the Bullet Club shenanigans are kept to an absolute minimum, particularly until after the match is over. I want to see this match to completion with no outside interference.

The full card for the show was finally announced today:

- IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match: Suzuki-gun (El Desperado / Yoshinobu Kanemaru) vs. Roppongi3K (SHO / YOH)
    - Taguchi Japan (David Finlay / Juice Robinson) vs. CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI / Jay White)
    - CHAOS (Toru Yano / Tomohiro Ishii) vs. Suzuki-gun (Zack Sabre Jr. / Minoru Suzuki)
    - NEVER Openweight Championship Three-Way Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Michael Elgin vs. Taichi
    - IWGP Tag Team Championship Match: Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA / EVIL) vs. The Young Bucks
    - Special Six-Man Tag Team Match: Rey Mysterio Jr., Jushin Thunder Liger & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bullet Club (Marty Scurll, Hangman Page & Cody)
    - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship Match: Will Ospreay vs. Hiromu Takahashi
    - IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Chris Jericho
    - IWGP Heavyweight Championship (No Time Limit, Two out of Three Falls): Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega

Interesting that the U.S. title will not be defended on their second-biggest show of the year - maybe they'll save that for the Cow Palace show next month.

I thought Rey Mysterio would be having a singles match, so that's a bummer to see him lumped in a six-man tag. Still, it'll be awesome to see him teaming with Liger and Tanahashi.

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of people I wish were not stuck in multi-man matches, like Suzuki, Ishii, White, and Tanahashi. I think that shows the crazy depth that New Japan can bring in for these shows.

EDIT: I also noticed, no Ibushi match??? Criminal.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 06-05-2018 at 08:45 AM.

I've kind of assumed Ibushi will be the corner man for Kenny in the main - which admittedly doesn't preclude him having a match but will at least mean he's still present on the show.

I'm actually pretty into a good portion of that card - the top five matches all interest me, and I think I might be a YOH/SHO megafan in the making at the moment. It's definitely not going to be a one match show, in my opinion, and hopefully Ospreay and Takahashi can come close to stealing it, off the back of their New Beginning match earlier in the year.

The Brain
    I mean, AJ Styles won the title thanks to BC interference, so it's not outside the realm of possibility. I do think it won't be a factor for the match though. Post match is fair game.

I dig that Sabre/Suzuki tag team. I know they tagged a bit in the UK but if they won the tag belts, or even feuded with the Bucks for them, that could potentially be awesome. Suzuki plowing through the Bucks nonsense in an effort to murder them is something I could get behind.

Definitely a little bummed for Rey to be in a six man tag, though it'll be cool to see him matched up with Cody again, and the Scurll thing will probably advance too.

And great call about no Ibushi, WTF New Japan??

Once New Japan made the call to put Cody in the six man tag it kind of left Ibushi with no other option outside of being in Kenny's corner. That's fine; if he was on the card at this point it just be in a match like what Rey is doing and you guys would all be wondering "why waste him in a six man?" He'll be far more valuable just showing some emotion while supporting Kenny than if he was just doing a few cool moves and a moonsault in a six man.

If there are any Bullet Club shenanigans in the main event I expect it to be in the form of The Bucks coming out towards the end to show Kenny they're with him, leading to him finding that extra gear and winning the match. But otherwise that'll be that. Aside from Cody threatening to throw in the towel last year (which helped the match in my opinion) these bouts have been played completely straight. There's no way that won't happen again knowing how Okada and Kenny both like their matches to be clean.

The Brain
    I'd still rather see Ibushi in a six man than doing nothing, but I guess it's true that it's not really a big deal.

Is this where I say once again that Cody's gonna fuck over Omega at the end?