Thread: Drew McIntyre

Drew McIntyre

The thread to discuss al things related to Drew McIntyre.

So. Drew has been back on the main main roster for a few months and he has impressed me, and quite a few others. I know that hi will eventually be inline for a major push and a title run. However, I think there is a great built in story to be told with Drew.

The WWE can re-issue the “chosen one” moniker to Drew and have him feud with Roman Reigns. All Drew has to do is attack Reigns and then cut a promo saying that “he was the chosen one lone before you ever were in the WWE!, And when I left, they gave that slot to you? And what have you done? Nothing. Well I am back, and as you can see, I am the true chosen one of the WWE.”

I think the story writes itself. But the twist is that Drew actually comes out on top of this feud, and is the chosen one, and goes onto to eventually win the Universal Title in 2019. Why 2019, well:

1. First the WWE needs to have Strowman take the title off Lesnar at SummerSlam
    2 Drew needs to feud with Roman over the summer and build up his main event push by defeating Reigns at SummerSlam
    3. Drew needs to have another main event level feud after SummerSlam...maybe against Rollins or Even Cena?
    4. Have Drew win the EC to give him the title shot at Mania (why not win the Rumble? Be I think. That it is Daniel Bryan’s Rumble to finally win to challenge the Miz at Mania when the Miz wins the title from AJ either at Survivor Series or NOC, then he successfully defends at the Rumble)

Regardless, I think that a Drew vs Roman feud should be where the WE Should go in the near future.

The Brain
    Never got the hype with this guy. I was happy when he went back to NXT so he'd stop taking up so many indy main event slots, but then he went and underwhelmingly ended Roode's great title reign there. A tag team with Ziggler isn't the worst thing for him, I suppose, but I can't say it's something I'll go out of my way to see.

I got to see Drew one time, and it was at that Seattle PPV (Over the limit 2011) where he and Bryan were the dark match. The man, in that match, showed more charisma than he ever did in that run. I really think people sleep on the fact of how young he was when he first debuted.

Look at it this way, he debuted on WWE TV 10+ years ago. First TV match where he won was in October of 2007... he was 22.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

Yeah, but everything I saw him do in Impact and NXT was pretty dull and he's a lot older then....

I just think he'd have drawn me in by now if he was going to....

The Brain
    My feeling as well. My favorite part of his career is still 3MB.

Not alot of drew mac fans here lol but count me in as one of them. I enjoyed his indy run from what i saw and I think he's a fresh guy they could get use out of as an upper midcard singles role. If anything, i think his pairing with Dolph can hurt him.

So far I like what I have seen on the main roster. I want him to dump Ziggler and get a singles push.

I never realized how big the guy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder
    So far I like what I have seen on the main roster. I want him to dump Ziggler and get a singles push.

I never realized how big the guy is.
    It's likely coming at some point since Vince is reportedly high on him.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

He certainly still has 'the look'.

I feel like he could have a really interesting program with Reigns. In a parallel universe he never met that Diva that sent him off the rails and he IS Reigns: the big, good looking guy that Vince put his full creative weight behind but McIntyre never got the chance. He could have a motivation to come back to claim what is rightfully his and obviously Reigns would not want to cede His Yard.

I also think like they could have a pretty competitive series of matches to go with the story in a similar vein to Reigns work with Braun last year, hard hitting and letting thier action do most of the talking in the feud.

@Sir_Samuel

Interesting on paper, though how it'd play out in front of actual crowds could be a different matter.

Though I guess there is something quite interesting in the idea that the whole Roman Reigns thing could actually be what Vince needed to get Drew McIntyre where he wanted him to be all along. I think they call that playing the long game!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

That was my original post of the thread

Yeah I was pretty much agreeing with what you were saying at the start. I actually put it in a column a little while ago too, they are two very interesting parallel lines.

I do wonder how it would play out in front of the crowds, if McIntyre shows he has learnt from his past entitlement then he would obviously be a good guy but if he shows he hasn't he would still be an entitled arsehole, the same guy the crowd thinks Reigns is. I'm all for well written heel v heel stories but I do agree with Prime Time that it could play out weirdly in front of a live crowd.

However I feel like given how the crowd feel about Reigns his best position is to get other guys over, it worked so well with Strowman last year, the year before helped AJ and I guess now they are trying to use that with Jinder. Point is though if they wanted to make something out of McIntyre they could do a lot worse than putting him opposite Reigns.

@Sir_Samuel

I haven't seen much of this run for Drew but saw an opinion piece about how he should be the one to face Brock at Summerslam. Which was... interesting. And it made me want to ask how he's been getting on?

Short answer.... Meh.

From what I've seen, there are protecting Drew, but they aren't building Drew. So it's confusing.

I don't even know what they're doing with this Drew and Braun angle. Is Drew suppose to be turning face (maybe Ziggler too since they're tag champs?), is Drew going to be feuding with Braun? and if so, to what end?

So Drew can go over Braun via shady means and then be fed to Roman at Royal Rumble.

Wasn't there something the other day about them having big, big plans for Drew in the future?

Maybe they are playing the long game with Drew like the original Batista push. Hint at the problems with Ziggler, then they lose the tag belts, and they fall apart and face off at the Rumble where Drew wins, then we get Drew vs Roman at Mania for the Uni Title where Drew wins????

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Wasn't there something the other day about them having big, big plans for Drew in the future?
    The plans for the short term look to be a Drew/Roman program. I can't say for sure what would happen, only speculate but I don't believe its the Mania match.

Well, so much for Braun winning the big one. Not that I mind Macyntire winning it, but I doubt that's the case either.

Does anybody think a Drew/Strowman program after Crown Jewel (or whatever replaces it) is going to deliver the goods? I'm quite intrigued. Drew has returned to WWE looking incredible, and I don't think during his first run I realised how big he was.

I think it will be a very good match. Having said that, I think they have to go with Drew so then he can feud with Balor instead of going with Braun longterm.. I like Braun but giving him a long run with the title has the potential to expose him. Either way though, with Dean and Seth preoccupied with each other, KO,Sami and now Roman on the shelf.. Balor is the only one you can really elevate to that top spot.

I'm still waiting for the title run for Macyntire Vince promised us back in 2009/2010. Better late than never!

I agree that McIntyre and Strowman will deliver some great stuff. McIntyre has the kid of hard hitting game that seems to bring out the best in Braun but long term I'm not sure what the plan would be.

@Sir_Samuel

Seen a bit of speculation in the past week that with Roman gone, Vince could well revert to his previous 'chosen one' and try to run with Drew.

He's getting the strongest push. Whether that turns into him being the man i'm not so sure. No one really has talked about him main eventing Wrestlemania.

According to the main page, Drew's push is supposed to start after the new year, and I can see him being the one to face Lesnar at Mania. All it takes to turn him is for Ziggler to turn on him, and they feud on RAW leading into the Rumble, where Drew eliminates Ziggler.

Then have Drew win the Elimination Chamber for the right to face Lesnar at Mania. Why not the Rumble? That is because Bryan is winning that and facing the WWE champion The Miz at Mania.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Why not the Rumble? That is because Bryan is winning that and facing the WWE champion The Miz at Mania.
    I love how definite you are that this is happening.

I'm not sure on Drew right now. I think he's a good in ring wrestler who could be great. I'm not sure I'm really getting enough personality from him in the ring to really propel him upwards, though. The only thing that is definitely going for him is his look - whether it's an actual thing or there's some lifts in his boots or similar, he looks huge against almost anybody in the ring. And broad, as well, it's not just height.

I think there may be more to come from him, but as yet it's not quite there. Pencilling him in for the main event of Mania feels like it's a few steps ahead of where he currently is, though.

Yeah, he might not be there... but unless they have something up their sleeve, most of the guys are hurt... and if Powder is correct and they go with Bryan/Miz, your only option really is a Brock match against Batista or I guess Rollins.

Drew is going to be a good spot, regardless.

I am so definitive because that is simply the best story out there in the WWE right now. All through the summer we got the Miz vs Brayn, and their 8 year history, and we still do not have closure on the feud because of all the antics of the Miz. The miz has earned another WWE Title run, which is why, I believe they swapped the IC title back to RAW to keep Miz away from it so he can be the WWE champion once again. After Survivor Series, Miz should be the one to dethrone Styles at the Rumble. And Bryan wins the Rumble only to immediately challenge the Miz on Smackdown the next Tuesday.

Then at the Smackdown PPV after the Rumble, Styles gets his rematch, but comes up short (pick your poison on how the Miz cheats to retain).

Drew McIntyre, nor any RAW superstar needs to win the Rumble to move forward, but after Bryan's return, and the lack of him winning the two Rumble's prior to his retirement, makes this a perfect story to tell.

I think it depends how long Seth and Dean are at each other. Seth has a pretty good character redemption story at hand if he wins the right to face Lesnar 'the right way' and is able to beat The Beast he never beat.

@Sir_Samuel

Given that Rollins/Ambrose isn't happening at Survivor Series because of the Raw vs Smackdown slant on things, you have to imagine they'll face off at TLC, presumably with the IC title on the line. There are, what, only four PPVs between the Series and Mania, and there's easy ground for them to keep Rollins and Ambrose rolling at the Rumble and the Elimination Chamber (I'm assuming they won't be fitting a second, dual branded, PPV between Rumbls and Mania).

Point being, I can see them keeping Rollins and Ambrose together but apart until Mania, via a singles bout at TLC. Essentially, they are on (as I understand it) the path they were on last winter/spring where the end game is Rollins vs Ambrose at Mania, so I can see them heading for that still - meaning Rollins wouldn't be the challenger, even though he could be the best non-Braun option on the roster right now.

Thing is, they've basically done everyone on Raw that could be a challenger to Brock with a decent background going in. They're in a position where if they're going to have someone challenge him and it's not Braun, who's probably the only person on the roster who has had a decent level of protection over the last year or so, they've got some building up to do. Now, there's no reason why they can't do that with a guy, but the time to pick them is now rather than in two months time just ahead of the Rumble, or even later.

Mind you, that's coming from me, and there's still 5% of me that's fearful that the buzzer to number 30 in the Rumble is going to count down, 'If you smeeeeeellll...' is going to ring out, and it will end up as Brock vs Rock at Mania to please the WWE's Saudi overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I am so definitive because that is simply the best story out there in the WWE right now. All through the summer we got the Miz vs Brayn, and their 8 year history, and we still do not have closure on the feud because of all the antics of the Miz. The miz has earned another WWE Title run, which is why, I believe they swapped the IC title back to RAW to keep Miz away from it so he can be the WWE champion once again. After Survivor Series, Miz should be the one to dethrone Styles at the Rumble. And Bryan wins the Rumble only to immediately challenge the Miz on Smackdown the next Tuesday.

Then at the Smackdown PPV after the Rumble, Styles gets his rematch, but comes up short (pick your poison on how the Miz cheats to retain).

Drew McIntyre, nor any RAW superstar needs to win the Rumble to move forward, but after Bryan's return, and the lack of him winning the two Rumble's prior to his retirement, makes this a perfect story to tell.
    I know, it's just kind of funny to me to keep seeing you put the story down, especially when history suggests WWE often doesn't run with the obvious story and, I would say, the story is so obvious and easy to tell between Miz and Bryan that the latter doesn't need a Rumble win to make it happen. When you say it you sound like one of those rumour mongers who will then say, if/when that plan doesn't happen 'well, this is what they were going to do, but obviously plans have changed'. Not meaning it as a slight, by the way, it's just how definite it all sounds when you say it!

Well lets just say its a guy from Raw and its not Braun or Seth.. Its either going be Drew or an outside chance at Balor. Drew has never been pinned on the main roster, was probably groomed to be fed to Roman at the Rumble. Now you could just feed him to Brock if they want to do that or have him beat Brock.. Balor is possible since he's the only face to go with Rollins tied up. The push would have to start now and undo all the damage done to Balor these last 6 months.