Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Owens

Kevin Owens

It has been a bit of a down period for KO lately, since that Hell in a Cell match last year I feel like he has really found it hard to hit his stride.

Anyway I randomly stumbled upon this gem, a orchestral re-imagining of this theme song, it does a really cool job at staying true to the original but adding a bit of badass flair to the song:

Owens should be back in the Title picture, or at least in a high profile feud.

The Brain
    What the hell is Owens even doing right now? Is he part of this Lashley's sisters nonsense or what? I feel like I haven't even heard about him in at least a month, he must really be spinning his wheels right now.

I got curious so I looked it up, he hasn't won two televised matches in a row since December. Definitely feels like he's been used to lose more matches to guys that they're focusing more on since turning up on RAW, at least.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Was there something that made them lose faith in the guy? I know the Shane feud was kind of a bust that lasted forever, but that wasn't really Owens' fault. I guess the AJ feud didn't turn many heads either though?

I've been assuming it's more that everyone except the very top guys has to take turns when the roster is stacked, but yeah, I guess it's possible that a couple of underperforming feuds could have counted against him.

He’s in the MITB match, and basically everyone is on cruise control until after the PPV.

The Brain
    I just checked the MITB and I see he's in the shuffle of the ladder match, but nobody anywhere has talked about him as a likely winner, so that's kind of damning I think.

The only person on RAW That KO could have a meaningful feud with now is Balor. I personally hate Roode, so keep him away from KO unless we get a double turn with both guys.

I would be all for a KO vs Finn feud over the summer. They had a pretty decent dynamic in NXT. Let's not forget that if either man wins the MITB, there is still the little issue of KO winning Finn's vacates Universal Title which would be an interesting narrative for WWE to (finally) explore. KO also hasn't had his chance at a rematch when Goldberg beat him last year.

If WWE paid attention to its history, this feud could write itself for a while.
    Summerslam & Takeover Brooklyn IV Review Show

To me, one of the issues with Owens is that, at this point, they've basically feuded him with everybody and while a face turn would seem like a great idea, it doesn't necessarily give you all the fresh match-ups you would think.

Owens has had high profile (or at least multi-match) feuds with Cena, Reigns, AJ, Rollins, Ambrose, and (obviously) Zayn. All throughout that times, he's also had multiple TV matches, in singles or tag, against Ziggler, Nakamura, Strowman, and Orton.

If you keep him heel, I think a more developed 1-on-1 feud with Strowman could be good. If the company gets more behind Lashley, I could see Owens doing the favors for him. Balor, to me, is odd just because I"m not sure how you get there. What would the rivalry be about? To me, its hard to play the "Just To See Who The Better Man Is" card with Owens when that's rarely been his motivation. He likes to show people up. He likes to antagonize. He likes to outsmart. But he always has a self-serving reason behind it. What would the reason be to go after Balor, a guy that holds no title and isn't exactly super relevant right now? What would Owens have to gain?

If you turn him, there's not exactly a huge number of feuds waiting for him on RAW either. The Miz? Jinder Mahal? McIntyre? Corbin? Some options are better than others, but almost all seem like placeholders (especially considering that I believe Miz is heading into SummerSlam to face Bryan).

Then there are those guys like Elias or Jason Jordan who could be interesting foils, but are still in need of some work in terms of being established themselves - and I'm not sure Owens is the right guy to help establish either (especially if you're trying to elevate Owens into being a more consistently dependable main event-level guy).

That's kinda the nub of what's wrong with feud-based wrestling programming. Feuds are great but if you make them the cornerstone of everything you do, you a) burn through all your good options, b) end up turning people to keep them fresh and in that case you're often jamming a square peg into a round hole, or c) wind up having to write things that don't make sense for the characters, both in an effort to keep things fresh again and because you inevitably need so many different feuds just to keep up with the demands of the programming.

I mean there's nothing wrong with feuds per se but when you start thinking about structuring all of your programming around feuds, there's all those problems on top of the fact that nothing ever really has the chance to get properly over because it's just not going to feel remotely organic. You just get to another month and it's 'oh, Owens is feuding with X now'.

What ever happened to the Prize Fighter gimmick? Where he constantly went after titles to "feed his family". He did what ever he could to win and keep the title, and was a badass while doing it.

KO had one of the best main roster debuts of all time, yes he did. He came out and confronted Cena who was the US Champ at the time. Pop Up power bombed him, and then held the NXT title high and stomped on the US Title.

I want that KO back. Not this whiny child he turned into. KO was another version of CM Punk, now he is a joke.

That's how WWE goes, though. They pretty clearly have nothing (meaningful) for Owens to be doing right now, so he's stuck in the mix with the ladder match. I kind of wish he was still working with Zayn as a team, because there's probably more that they can do with them in the tag ranks and he could help in this Lashley mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    That's kinda the nub of what's wrong with feud-based wrestling programming...I mean there's nothing wrong with feuds per se but when you start thinking about structuring all of your programming around feuds, there's all those problems on top of the fact that nothing ever really has the chance to get properly over because it's just not going to feel remotely organic. You just get to another month and it's 'oh, Owens is feuding with X now'.
    I'd argue that the problem isn't feud-based wrestling programming. In fact, I'm not entirely sure what the alternative is - especially if we're talking about "main event" level talent. Sure, if we're talking midcard or lower midcard, one could point to the 95'-97' WCW Cruiserweight Division or even the legendary triangle feud between Hardys/Dudleys/Edge & Christian as being full of really great action that wasn't necessarily built around personal animosity as much as a desire to hold a championship or "climb the ladder." But with Kevin Owens, we're talking about a former Universal Champion.

To me, the problem is the same one that's been talked about for 10+ years now. If "everyone's a Superstar," then every match is a 50/50 battle between two Superstars. That means everyone fights each other multiple times a year on TV and holds wins and losses over each other and the roster split has made only a very, very slight change to that (I'm not even sure if it has at all).

Whats even more puzzling is that they've used jobber matches to get Ryback and Strowman over in the not so recent past. They obviously understand the value in them. Sadly, what they don't get is that just as much as most of us enjoyed Strowman tossing around jobbers when he was a rookie, we'd probably still like to see it happen in 2018 and, hey, I'd kinda like to see Owens manhandle someone in an exhibition match, and Elias too, and even a babyface like Balor would come off as more impressive dominating a match with ease than he does having to bump and sell and fight from underneath all the time.

The problem isn't the feuds, its the freshness. There's no anticipation left because there's not enough fresh match-ups. It used to be that "Wrestler A" would be piling up victories and "Wrestler B" would be piling up victories and you'd wonder, "What would happen if Wrestler A had to face Wrestler B"? But now, they have Bobby Lashley debuting in April, and by the end of May the guy has lots all of his freshness because the very first match they put him in is a 10-man tag, then a week later its a Royal Rumble that he loses in, and then he loses in a triple threat (against Owens on RAW). I'm not even a Lashley fan or non-fan, but the company does know that they're paying the guy, right? They actively signed him to a contract just so they could have him fill the same spot that Zack Ryder or Heath Slater or the guy that has the cane could fill?

What is there to anticipate with Owens? Take the feud part out of it and there's not a single match I'd really care to see him have right now. His saving grace is that he has the ability to make me care about a match through a storyline.
    Last edited by Josh; 06-11-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Well I guess that's where we disagree then, because I don't think you can ever have the freshness in feuds if people are going to run through a bunch of rematches and then move on to another immediately.

You're going to run out of talent sooner rather than later. Unless you are willing to change the roster all the time.

I'm all for people winning more matches and less of the 50/50 stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    What ever happened to the Prize Fighter gimmick? Where he constantly went after titles to "feed his family". He did what ever he could to win and keep the title, and was a badass while doing it.
    This is the KO I fell in love with. I think his character peaked during his time battling with Dean over the IC title. That KO driven mad by the need to succeed is the best version. Please come back!

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    This is the KO I fell in love with. I think his character peaked during his time battling with Dean over the IC title. That KO driven mad by the need to succeed is the best version. Please come back!

The Brain
    Really interesting talking point on the feud based wrestling thing from Pete. You NEED feuds in wrestling on the level WWE is at, but there's definitely something to be said that not everyone has to be in a feud all the time without feeling lost in the shuffle. That's a tricky balance but I really think it could be done. Gonna have to flesh that idea out more in my head.

How's it sitting now it's had time to percolate?!

Just stopping by to share the love for the Owen's put-down re. Shania Twain and his man card on Twitter. Beautiful stuff.

She's kind of a bitch for not singing the song for him.

Kind of thought KO was going to powerbomb her. He has previous, after all.

Maybe he realised it's probably better if she just sings the songs that they've, y'know, rehearsed?!

I just wanted to comment on the one good piece of Raw last night. Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins was a fantastic match, that exceeded the recent Rollins/Ziggler match in my book. After the match, KO 'quit' Which is to say, an angle since he just signed a new contract... for 5 years apparently. Where does everyone think that is going? I'm thinking a possible face run for KO that starts at Survivor Series.

I think he's severely damaged right now by awful booking and it's a damn shame. Keep him away from Sami Zayn and let him go back to Smackdown.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    The Summerslam "match" Owens had against Strowman did him now favors. That shouldn't have happened, period.

I'm very much intrigued by the "I quit" angle that they're playing now. It's started off in interesting fashion, with him being moved over to the Alumni section on wwe.com, and he even reopened his Kevin Steen shop on Pro Wrestling Tees. Hopefully whatever comes next will repair some of the damage.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    The idea of a good guy Owens makes me ball, honestly. I'm not sure how that would play. I think they ought to just do a hard reset. Reintroduce him in the fashion he originally debuted on NXT - that was compelling. And no more using him to play for laughs. Comic Owens is just dull, but vicious, unhinged and morally apathetic Owens? That's when he convinces me. So yeah, whatever they do with him when he comes back - which may not be that long - revisit his start on NXT. WWE sometimes need a reminder about who their own bloody characters are.

Oh, and I agree, keep him away from Zayn. Dude's a poisoned chalice and a waste of space going nowhere fast.

They didn't even keep Owens off TV for one week.

I have no idea how to feel about this. I love KO, but was hoping keeping him away would make the heart grow fonder. But he's already back.

What is the point?

To setup the Shield vs. The lockerroom is my guess which will culminate at Survivor Series.

Have no clue why KO had to quit for that.

It was like the writers forgot they had done that the week before and suddenly had to scramble to explain it on Raw this week.

Saying he quit because of Lashley is so weird cause why wouldn't he just attack Lashley that week or any week after Sami was put on the shelf?

I hear Owens and Elias team are getting big reactions?

Owen and Elias had one of the biggest crowd heel reactions I think I have ever seen/heard last Monday on RAW. I didn't see the match over the weekend, but to restate my point before the forums got reset is that KO is the best all around talent on the Roster.

He can be a face or a heel. He can clearly wrestle. He knows how to sell before, during and after a match. During a match Owens knows how to talk trash and get the crowd involved. Then after, on RAW the next night he knows how to sell the injury and act like he was in a match the night before.

Owen is awesome and should get another Title run, send him back to Smackdown and let him face AJ and Bryan. Those would be awesome feuds.

So are we experiencing a double turn for Owens and Lashley??

At least a heel turn for Lashley, and maybe for KO.

Maybe not. Hearing he's out for a long spell, and his chances of making Wrestlemania are at best 50-50.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    There are reports saying that there's a possibility of Owens being out for 4 to 8 months. If it's true, that sucks for him, having to miss out on all of these big events and the paydays. But based on how he was being used on Raw, it's probably going to end up being a positive for his character when he returns. He's needed a shakeup there for a while, especially after that whole quitting for a week thing that was just sloppy.

He should also take this time to lose some of his gut to appease Vince. He is extremely talented and impressive in the ring for a guy his weight and his height. But look to Bully Ray. During Ray's TNA title run, he lost his gut, put on some more muscle and looked amazing. KO can do the same.

And can I request new gear? I'm not advocating a straight singlet or trunks or anything, but maybe some long tights or take those custom shirts that he's been wearing and tighten them up a little sort of like the old Chris Hero getup.

His look is his look, and on some level it works, but I cannot get over the fact that he looks exactly like this backyard level kid that I was on an indy show with a few weeks ago.