Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Undertaker

After XXX and the defeat, he should’ve come out and said something like “Welp... ‘The Streak’ is over. However, I’ll still pop up whenever I feel like just to remind you that I’m always around.” And then he should’ve gone home and repaired himself for a few years and popped up during some random PPV in July or October or any month that wasn’t WrestleMania. Like... he should never come back in March/April after Brock broke The Streak. But... whatever. At this point, let him humiliate himself. It’s whatever at this point.

In fairness that Wrestlemania match with Cena was my favourite Cena match ever. I didn't hear Cena call one spot which is a first

Which one of Taker's countless returns is your favorite? Here's mine:

My favorite Taker return, easily, is in 2005:

The Brain
    I've a soft spot for Wrestlemania XX, partially because it was the first I saw. It was built up to so well though, he was buried by Kane so he came back "dead", he was seeking revenge, he had a boss entrance, he had Paul Bearer... it all just clicked for me. I even remember the match well, though I don't know if it'd stand up if I rewatched it!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I've a soft spot for Wrestlemania XX, partially because it was the first I saw. It was built up to so well though, he was buried by Kane so he came back "dead", he was seeking revenge, he had a boss entrance, he had Paul Bearer... it all just clicked for me. I even remember the match well, though I don't know if it'd stand up if I rewatched it!
    It was definitely a forgettable trash match. However, as you said, everything else about the angle was done so well, that it didn't really matter, and the crowd bought into it all (I think Taker's entrance was the pop of the night at that Mania).

I remember Meltzer saying in his review that Undertaker had totally exposed himself with that angle and match, and that it was all basically over. Who was to know that Taker would be a top tier main event attraction for another 10 years? Lol.

Top three in no particular order. The iron man Skitz mentioned, the return from the Orbital bone injury with the weird mask when he won the Survivor Series basically single handed, and the 1998 return ahead of Wrestlemania during the Kane feud.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Having discovered wrestling in mid '98, I just missed out on that last one Prime mentioned. I've seen clips of it since however and would definitely place it in my Top 5. Not surprised the resurrection of The Deadman at WMXX was mentioned a few times (I'd rank it #2). His SummerSlam 2009 return would probably be up there as well simply for the execution. I loved the visual of Punk standing over a prone Hardy; only for the lights to go out and Taker to appear in Jeff's place. The ensuing feud at the time should've been so much more!

I'll jump on the 2004 band wagon. I love when Kane is just wrecking shop in the Rumble and suddenly the gong goes off. Kane and Jim Ross sell it like a ghost has returned. He doesn't even show up and it is still so epic.

@Sir_Samuel

98 return after Kane set him on fire in the casket.

Not the actual return but I thought the weeks of promos was great to before he wrestled Mark Henry at Unforgiven

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    My favourite Undertaker return is the one that won't happen when he does what he should do and bloody retire already.

Also, WrestleMania XX. I got goosebumps watching that. Like mizfan pointed out, it was all just so well constructed (perhaps excepting the match itself). One of my favourite Mania moments.

So is Undertaker having that Wrestlemania match we were talking about back in May? I've heard some people talking about another Shawn Michaels match. They'll call it the third match of a trilogy, I guess, even though it must be the sixth PPV bout they'd have had?

Remember when it was the divas that were the piss break? Sounds like it might be the legends next year.

I thought the (rumoured) plan was that HBK vs Undertaker is set for Survivor Series, to retire Taker where his career began?

I mean that would make a certain amount of sense, wouldn't it?

Apparently he's been confirmed for the run of shows in the UK in November, so maybe that does point to an imminent-retirement? Emptying the tank in the last month?

When you think about it, this tag match could have been 20 years in the making if we're thinking back to around when Kane debuted.

Heard speculation that the Survivor Series match with Shawn is now off following Crown Jewel. No idea what that means for the Deadman's last few matches.

Simple, Let both Taker and HBK rest up and have the retirement 1 on 1 match at Mania.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Heard speculation that the Survivor Series match with Shawn is now off following Crown Jewel. No idea what that means for the Deadman's last few matches.
    With any luck, they've canned them.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Simple, Let both Taker and HBK rest up and have the retirement 1 on 1 match at Mania.
    Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Rest up? I am pretty sure this is the new normal for a Taker match. That's just the state his body will be at from now on. There is no resting up from this. It's time to hang up the boots, or be downgraded to 5 minute squash matches. He's had like 4 matches since coming back. One of them had to be cut down to 4 minutes despite being one of the most anticipated matches, against Cena, at *Wrestlemania*, because his body couldn't handle anything else, and the others were varying different levels of embarrassing clusterfucks. There are some people who wrestle into their 50's and can still put on a show, once in a while (e.g., Flair, or Liger), but Taker definitely isn't one of those people.

I really don't see what the point of a HBK-Taker match would be. It would be a shitty, painful match to watch, and everyone would probably say 'they ruined the legacy of their two previous matches.'

He is slowly approaching the point where he's going to be greeted with 'this/you sucks' or 'please retire' chants, and it's going to be painful to watch.
    Last edited by Alan; 1 Week Ago at 03:42 AM.

The Brain
    I agree with everything but that very last line. Pretty sure fans will chant "you still got it" and "one more match" even if he needs a walker to get to the ring.

Yeah, I think Taker has too much built in respect from the audience to ever get a please retire chant. Its a respect that's been earned and also manufactured by the WWE machine.. with all the non kayfabe respect they give Taker.

At this point, I wouldn't mind them doing an 8 min retirement match for both Undertaker and Kane. Both need to go.. Can still use them for appearances but there comes a point when the time is up for any serious in ring time.