Thread: Kanye

Kanye

So Kanye released a new album, Ye over the weekend. I don't feel comfortable in saying he the greatest artist of our times (as some media publications are trying to claim) but I feel like he is one of the artist that really reflects the time we currently live in both musically and lyrically.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of all of his work but I always give him a listen and he has some tracks that have made it into heavy rotation with me.

For me Ye continues on the more sprawling nature of Life of Pablo as opposed to his more refined work on Yeezus and My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy. I wouldn't call it a loss of form totally but it is certainly a departure from a very successful and pleasing formula. It is funny to call an slbum sprawling when it only clocks in at 23 minutes but throughout he ranges from monologuing, to screaming, from laid back rhyming to more intense, in your face MC work. I probably need to listen a bit more but this strikes me as quite an introspective album, he has a lot of talk about family and his own mental state which perhaps matches with the focus of his life right now.

One thing I think I will say that I do like about Kanye is that is is apologetically himself, even to the point of what would appear to the outside to be serious self-sabotage he does not blink, does not flinch, he wears his heart and personality on his sleeve.

Anyway, what did you think of Ye if you've listened to it or more generally what do you think of Kanye?

Havenít heard the new stuff yet, but Kanye is awesome because he gives zero fucks. The song he did with Jay Z N*ggas In Paris is proof positive of that.

I was a big fan of Yeezus, and I still love his early work... particularly Two Words and Get Em High.

Never got the hype.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

My suggestion would be listen to the song POWER and maybe even watch the movie clip, it is Kanye distilled, the ego, the creative and general ambition, the technical brilliance, the high level of production.

If you don't like that song you probably won't like any Kanye.

Yeah, I think I already know that one, which I guess gives you enough information to infer the rest of anything I might say.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."