Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM Punk

CM Punk

So Punk won his defamation lawsuit days before competing at UFC 225. Depending on how that goes he'll presumably be either much bigger news in the world of MMA, or - more likely - he'll be back in a wrestling capacity before too much longer.

Any, discuss CM Punk related news here.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I'm really glad he won the court case, regardless of what you think of Punk that was a pretty damn stupid lawsuit that never should have been brought.

His MMA career is a joke, but oh well. It'd be very cool if he was at All In in some way, I've heard hints to that effect, but I won't hold my breath either.

Its weird, cause they don't need Punk to sell Tix so all it really would be is good will for another All in show.. which maybe people think is a foregone conclusion but also you only have Punk appear if he's willing to do a match at the next All in... i think its wasted otherwise.

i do think we're closer to a Punk in ring return if for no other reason that once gets smashed on Saturday, i can't see him continuing his mma career and what actually can he do?
    Last edited by LK3185; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:19 PM.

The Brain
    To have him appear at all would be huge, but I do agree that setting up a future match would be the absolute ideal. Some would love it but I'd be sad if he just cut a shooty promo about WWE or something. They banned Russo for a reason!

Ideal: Cody goes over NA.

Celebration.

End of the night.

Except.

CM Punk.

Build a Cody-Punk NWA title feud?

Yes, please.

I actually think Punk wouldn't really want to work Japan or that style.. it doesn't really suit what he does so him working Cody and Omega in a one off makes sense.. His goal was always to get to WWE, he's not going to work regular indys anymore i don't think..

point is, people compare him to Bryan but they are not that alike actually. Especially since WWE killed his interest in wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Ideal: Cody goes over NA.

Celebration.

End of the night.

Except.

CM Punk.

Build a Cody-Punk NWA title feud?

Yes, please.
    I like it. The weather is getting warm again... letís go Summer of Punk, vol. 3, please. Except this time... letís do it all over the world like he claimed in the pipebomb back in Ď11.

The Brain
    I doubt CM Punk wants to work regularly in wrestling again at all, but I've no doubt he could do a one off with ease, IF he has interest to do so of course. And let's not pretend Cody has become some untouchable puro master... his style is still largely WWE-esque, though he has range to do other things too. And Omega worked with broken down Jericho and got an excellent match out of him, so a Punk match should be a snap for either guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I doubt CM Punk wants to work regularly in wrestling again at all, but I've no doubt he could do a one off with ease, IF he has interest to do so of course. And let's not pretend Cody has become some untouchable puro master... his style is still largely WWE-esque, though he has range to do other things too. And Omega worked with broken down Jericho and got an excellent match out of him, so a Punk match should be a snap for either guy.

Yeah, i'm not saying Cody is a puro guy at all.. I just think he would fit Punk's style and like others said you could raise NWA profile if they wanted... i just think Punk wouldn't be too interested in New japan due to the schedule and the intense work style. Just seems like a dude happy to be in Chicago and close to AJ

The Brain
    Oh sure, I'm with you there. I could see him doing a one off in the Tokyo Dome, Jericho-style, if the money was right, but more likely he'll make the wrestling come to him, if he bothers at all.

However, If Brock Lesnar, Ultimate Warrior, Bill Goldberg, and Bruno Sammartino all came back to the WWE, then why wouldn't Punk want to? He could literally dictate his terms just like Lesnar does. Punk could get paid millions for a few dates with some guarantees built in like: Finally Headlining Wrestlemania in the true main event for either Major Title in the match that closes the show. AND limited dates, AND choosing his opponents, AND being allowed to have relative freedom on the mic.

The ball is completely in his hands. He could talk with the WWE and say his terms, and if they don't agree, why sign? He would be stupid otherwise.

I think it would take a little bit more time.. he also had issues with Trips and Trips was the guy who brokered most of those returns

Not disagreeing, but IF Punk wanted to wrestle again, why would he waste a HUGE payday in a comeback to the WWE for a mediocre payday for anyone else?

I would say the earliest we would get a Punk return (if at all) would be right after Mania.

Now that would rival Brock 's and Rock's return.

Yeah, there's some stuff they're not giving up. Nobody is getting creative control on the level of picking their opponents, lessons have been learned from WCW and if Punk gets it, Brock's going to want it.

I don't see him going back to WWE any time soon. He's not going to want to work alongside the guy that just sued him for $1-$5 million.

I could actually see Punk preferring to sign with an ROH or someone like that for limited dates. Someone that he can actually help build into possibly legitimate competition. ROH would allow him to do things like All In or PWG or Tokyo Dome one-offs, while keeping his face on TV, allowing him to be home with AJ most of the time and letting him basically dip his toe back into professional wrestling. The trade-off is that they get a star that could probably help them sell out 5k arenas regularly.

If he was all about the money though he would have stayed. he was still making millions. You also underestimate how much he could make on one off on the scene or in new japan. As much as i don't think he'd go there.. Jericho didn't come cheap.

WWE would probably have to throw him a Brock type deal with incentives and smooth everything over.

The Brain
    It's been clear for a while that Punk is very comfortable financially. If he comes back to wrestle somewhere, it won't just be for the money. And yeah, the idea that he can't make a big payday somewhere else is just silly.

I honestly do not know, but I cannot see ROH or All In being a billion dollar company where they can afford to give an employee a multimillion dollar deal. The WWE through all of its faults has that type of capital and can afford to pay him. Japan probably does as well, but there is no way that ROH does.

The Brain
    Definitely no million dollar deals in ROH, they are backed by Sinclair which absolutely dwarfs WWE as a corporation but it's not like they give them a huge budget to work with. But if New Japan pitched in, that could change things. Not sure what Jericho made for his one New Japan match but supposedly he generated an extra 1.5 million and I'm sure he got a big chunk of that. Reportedly All In is being independently financing but I've heard hints they have someone footing some of the big bills too so who knows what they might be able to drum up.

It's moot anyway though, as Punk has pretty consistently not been motivated by money first and foremost. I think he'll do whatever wrestling he feels interested/passionate about, if anything.

Again, to play devils advocate, if you were to come back to wrestling after an extended time off, and fans everywhere have been dreaming/asking for it for the past 4 years, why wouldn’t you also try to get paid the most you could?

I get it Punk May not be motivated by money, and he may not “need” anymore, but wrestlers are just like any other pro-athletes in that they want the huge contract, and they will play for a worse team to get paid. Cough Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera, etc cough.

Like i said, he could be offered the most money but if he's not happy with what he's presented and doing, i don't see it happening.. If WWE gave him everything wanted, then sure i could see it but we don't know what Punk would want. Also, i don't think its really about the fans.. and if it is, he can do conventions and work ALL in type shows. I don't think its about working Mania main events anymore.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Again, to play devils advocate, if you were to come back to wrestling after an extended time off, and fans everywhere have been dreaming/asking for it for the past 4 years, why wouldn’t you also try to get paid the most you could?
    He doesn't like WWE and he doesn't care about the money. Not everything is dollars and cents, man.

I agree with Mizfan here. If Punk has shown anything in leaving and his time away it is that he believes in principle and believes in challenging himself and leading a fulfilling life for himself more than money or public adulation. He is happy to have those but they are only a part of an equation and a small part at that.

I also got the feeling he is generally a fairly bitter person who holds onto grudges longer than most. Combining that with what I've said above and I feel like it will be a long time before he works with the WWE again.

If the court records about his mental state in his final days are accurate, then he'd be a madman to go back whatever they offer.

May have spoken too soon about him being back in wrestling. Meltzer seems to be of the opinion that Punk is pretty committed to fighting beyond the weekend and would be looking to tackle something more minor league if cut from UFC, rather than heading back to wrestling.

I guess an absolute mauling might change that perspective in a hurry. But there's no guarantee that this hand picked opponent, who Mickey Gall beat just as easily I'm told, can beat him badly enough to drive him from the sport.

also been thrown out there that Punk could find a job commentating MMA if he so chose. I don't know why he'd keep fighting though if he got beat pretty bad on Saturday. Sure, go to minor leagues where you still will be outclassed for at least another year or so... Its not like he's 23 embarking on a whole new career.

I commend him for the effort and i don't care that much if he comes back to wrestling, but dude lived out a dream already, know when to step away.

My guess is that he's thinking positive, not contemplating a bad beating. Going in thinking like that would be a good way to make it happen.

Still, if the offer were on the table, I guess it's really his call when he's lived his dream and when he should step away. Bellator has been suggested as a possibility and from talking with the guy who runs the MMA gym on the street around the corner from me, I get the impression the serious fight fans consider it a high standard. I can see why he'd be interested in giving it another couple of tries with them if an offer came.

Speaking of offers, the other thing to come out this week is he's only had roundabout suggestions, nothing concrete, about returning to wrestling.

I get that its his choice and all but UFC only brought him back a second time because they think he's a draw. I don't think any other place he will effect that much.. I guess Bellator since they take UFC's leftovers..I'm not even saying he's thinking about losing.... but after Saturday, the way it likely will turn out, its probably best for him to look for something else.

As for the wrestling thing, I'm not surprised no one has really given him a real offer. Any one who sent out feelers probably didn't even get the chance to go further or they know they wouldn't be able to afford him.

I'm not sure I follow the logic. I'd have thought that if he was a draw, then relatively speaking he'd have more effect on a smaller company than a bigger one.

Like, he might draw fewer people in but if they are used to smaller numbers anyway, you don't need to bring so much in to be worth it.

The question then becomes how much his fans will follow if he gets badly beaten again, though I addressed the effect of that kind of result in the post four up anyway.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Punk looks pretty content with his life right now, at least based on the little I've seen of him this year. My guess is that if he wins this weekend, he'll keep up with MMA, and if he loses he still has a few other things going on his life that he looks happy doing.

At this point, I would wager that he won't ever return to pro wrestling again, not even one-offs. Just a feeling I have.

I mean, WWE very publically supported Amaan in the lawsuit, a statement which is still on their website alongside a slow motion video of CM Punk's butt. See - https://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-addre...nk-allegations

So given that this case has been found in favour of Punk and that there was no defamation of Amaan - which I, a non-legal person, would interpret as essentially saying that Punk's statements were broadly true - surely that means WWE are open for something from Punk now too? Like I said, I'm no legal person, so have no idea how this works, but it seems there's still a lot of love lost between the two.

I would also say there's a big difference between Lesnar and Goldberg walking away from WWE due to broad displeasure with the schedule and work they were doing. Even though Lesnar later brought a lawsuit, it was only over his non-compete clause and not company-wide incompetence, which Punk has deftly and clearly expressed from his time there on top of all the burnout issues and nagging injuries he had. I think Punk and WWE have a lot further to go to mend bridges than Lesnar/Goldberg and WWE did.

I can't see Punk ever coming back to WWE unless he ages, softens, and they offer him something like a HoF entry. And even then I could see him turning them down repeatedly, ala Bruno, before accepting when someone new reaches out to him, like HHH did to Bruno rather than Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    So given that this case has been found in favour of Punk and that there was no defamation of Amaan - which I, a non-legal person, would interpret as essentially saying that Punk's statements were broadly true - surely that means WWE are open for something from Punk now too? Like I said, I'm no legal person, so have no idea how this works, but it seems there's still a lot of love lost between the two.
    My experience is all from media law classes that I took a number of years ago in school, but if I recall it doesn't mean that they've determined what he said was true, but that even if it isn't it didn't defame Amann's character or cost him money or standing in his profession.

I think what sunk him in the end is when he said that he didn't believe that it impacted his standing in WWE or how people viewed him, and that it hadn't cost him money. The crux of his argument was that people were attacking him on Twitter and holding up signs at show.

I am a huge Punk fan and I will be at All In, so I would love to see him appear. If he appears to set up something with either Cody or Omega that would probably be able to fill a 20,000 seat building; which I would also do my best to attend.

I wouldnít say the ruling means Punkís statements are true, itís just really hard to prove libel. The doctor didnít lose his job or any earnings Iím aware of because of the comments, which would have factored.

The doctor also admitted he didn't keep good enough records of Punk's antibiotic history, spoke at (albeit limited length) with other wrestlers about Punk's history which according to Colt Cabana's lawyer is a borderline HIPPA violation, admitted that he and WWE kept Punk in the 2014 Royal Rumble for over 40 minutes after he was concussed and had every witness in the thing that wasn't working for WWE, from Cabana to AJ to Punk to the physician that cut the lump out of Punk's back state that Punk had what he claimed. Certainly it appears Punk exaggerated some details of the lump (it was not as big as he claimed in the podcast and no one has any idea if it was MRSA or not because he never went back for a follow up test) but it's clear he had the lump (there's a video on YouTube where he shows the scar and the indent it left for crying out loud), that Amann hadn't treated it properly and that about 95% of the stuff Punk claimed was true. So it wasn't just that libel is hard to prove; anyone who reads notes from these court proceedings can see Amann was an idiot who handled the whole thing wrong and on top of that didn't lose any sleep or jobs over it. I'm pretty sure this only went to court because WWE backed him on it (as Punk and Cabana seem to believe) out of spite and look how that turned out.

That's pretty much why, while I cannot dismiss it entirely because duh, I can't see Punk and WWE ever working together again, outside of maybe a Hall of Fame thing. Even if WWE didn't bankroll Amann's lawsuit it doesn't matter; the important thing is that Punk believes they did AND that he believes they tried to mess with his upcoming UFC fight because Amann's team filed for delays repeatedly that pushed the trial back to the last few weeks (it was originally supposed to start a week earlier). And that's before you get into all the stuff about his fractured relationship with Triple H, the sequence of events that led to him leaving and to this trial, going after Cabana (his best friend) for no reason other than he gave Punk the platform to tell his story and the bullshit like him being fired on his wedding day. If you were him and one entity did that to you (or you believed they did) why would you ever go back? I understand the "they all go back" statement...except we know that's not true because, for whatever reason, Randy Savage never returned. I think Punk is the Savage of this generation (fitting as he idolized Savage); he's the one guy who never returns and never mends fences with WWE. Maybe I'm wrong and there's a part of me that wouldn't be stunned by it but I just can't see how, after all that's happened, Punk personally would ever be able to look beyond that to smooth things over, especially since he doesn't need or value money as much as others did.

Now will he wrestle again? Absolutely. I've always believed he'd get back in the ring outside of WWE, it's just a question of when. I still don't know when and I don't think he knows. He certainly seemed more open to it in that interview with Ariel Helwani from Wednesday but then he was back to shutting it down yesterday. That sort of inconsistency tells me that, while he may be closer than ever before, he's still not quite ready yet. Whether he'll be ready come September for All In or for another event like All In 2 down the road, time will tell.

I don't think he wrestles this year. He could show up at ALL in but he's not working a match. Maybe ALL in 2 but that won't be til 2019.

Yeah, I wouldn't rule out a return somewhere but it doesn't feel exactly imminent, does it.

I can't say that I think it's inevitable either. If I had to bet on it and actually stake money I'd say yes but unlikely in the next 18 months - possibly longer depending on how the fight goes tomorrow....

I did see that Mickey Gall who beat them both actually picked Punk to win this one....

As long as he doesn't come back with an MMA gimmick I'll be happy with wherever he goes ends up I think.

As for the fight, he really should win this one, it is the closest thing the UFC could have done to a gimmie match. If he can't get through this one I dunno if he will ever wok a match on the ufc.

If I was Punk I would be saying "Fuck You" to WWE in every shape and form. How petulant can you get firing him on his wedding day and scheduling that court case to fuck with his MMA prep. He really trampled some egos in WWE the way he left if they are still trying to fuck with him 5 years later. I say fair play to him, he knew what he was worth and left them holding their dicks. He sure as shit doesn't need them anymore.

As for MMA, I was chatting with a friend the other night who's quite the boxing/fighting enthusiast who reckons Punk is one of the worst fighters he has ever seen. I don't know how good this Jackson lad is but unless he really sucks and Punk has gotten significantly better in the last 2 years then I would fear for Punk. My big hope for him is to get in there and have a proper go at it this time round. In a perfect world would love to see him win and get his ass back on the indy scene!

With fighting Punk is far from the worst guy to ever tape his wrists. In his first fight though he was a beginner who would normally be fighting at an ameture level on a regional circuit but because of his profile got on a huge card.

He has been training for two more years so it will be interesting to see how he has developed.

After seeing Punk's fight with Jackson, he should never fight again tbh. Jackson toyed with him on the feet and that's only reason it went the distance