Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Steve started us off with a Bob Holly story, and I'll head back that way with another one from the same source.

He's there during the Brawl 4 All, which was basically a way of trying to generate some interest on the one hand and to get Dr Death Steve Williams into a position where he could come straight in as a monster and work with Austin. JR who obviously knew him from the Mid South days was behind it, as a lot of people know. The trouble is that they modelled it on a kind of MMA thing since that was in vogue, and while Dr Death had one hell of an amateur wrestling background he's not the striker that some of the others were - and obviously Bart Gunn showed him up. People know that.

The funny bit is when they were originally looking at this, Steve Blackman was in the room, and he started training for it seriously. According to Holly, he had every intention of winning that 100k, and he would have done it easily. My favourite bit of the story is that they came in talking about how it'd be basically No Holds Barred, and Blackman is supposed to have said 'so I can take someone's knee out with a kick, that's cool?'. It's at that point they decided that they probably needed some rules. But Blackman got injured in a match in the build up and so wasn't able to take his place in the tournament.

Bart Gunn obviously went on to win, but lost to Butterbean which many people say is the moment his WWF career ended. But according to Holly it was over before then, because they were so sure that Dr Death was going to win they'd not only come up with a whole storyline for him and Stone Cold, but they'd already paid him the prize for the tournament. When Bart upset the apple cart, allegedly he was done just out of plain resentment - which might explain his being put in a no win situation at Wrestlemania.

I think this little phrase sums the whole thing up - "If management wanted a specific result, they should have told us what they wanted. Instead, they basically wasted nearly half a million dollars and ended the careers of both Bart and Steve Williams. A lot of the other guys got injured during the Brawl for All too, and it really didn’t do anything for ratings. It just wasn’t worth it."

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    God, is there any tournament more cursed in wrestling than Brawl For All? Even the seemingly endless Russo reset abomination tournaments in WCW didn't result in a cavalcade of injuries and bad blood on this level.

Most people know the one Nailz story - that he had a stint in the WWF that ended with him throwing Vince across the room, sueing him for sexual harassment, and testifying against him in the steroid trial. But here's another one.

A couple of years earlier, he was looking for work and Flair - who was booking at the time - agreed to give him a tryout. They brought him down, he had a match and did a promo that they paid him for, and that was that. It was a talented roster that they had at the time and he just wasn't going to force his way in. Anyway, a week or so passes and he calls Natch up. The reply was something like 'well, Kevin, we've got a lot of talent here already and there's not really any openings but we'll keep you in mind.'

And apparently the future-Nailz response to that was 'well, fire somebody.'

Ballsy play, but puts some of his later behaviour in context.

The Brain
    I forgot all about the way it ended with Vince! What a bizarre guy. Wonder who was behind bringing him in for that one appearance in '93 WCW?

It's pre-Nailz, not after - it sounds like it's 1991, and also like it's that he knows Flair so it may have just been a favour by the booker-man to give him a payday.

Recently been reminded of the story of Road Warrior Hawk and the Macho Man (and Gorgeous George and Hawk's wife) brawling backstage at a Kid Rock concert in 1999....

That's probably the most 1999 story I can imagine involving both wrestling and music!

I read recently that Undertaker has a fear of cucumbers - apparently pretty extreme. Allegedly, Paul Bearer once filled his ring hat with them as revenge for something, not clear what, and that caused him to vomit all over his own hat.

The Brain
    The fuck?? Is Undertaker a cat or something??

It's weird, right?

http://stillrealtous.com/bruce-prich...-harts-pranks/

Bit more on it here - although the story does also come from the UK tabloid The Sun which is always questionable as a source:

https://nypost.com/2017/07/31/undert...rce=reddit.com

I had no idea about that one - which is absolutely bizarre. I do love the detail of what happens when Owen gets hold of it.

Al Snow has spoken of what it was like to be Marty Jannetty's partner, because he's another of the serial ribbers in wrestling. I think my favourite was taking a shower - always risky because it leaves Marty alone in your hotel room for long enough for him to think of something to do - and finding the water was greasy, because while Jannetty had been taking his shower he'd unscrewed the shower head and filled it full of KY Jelly.

That's a good prank... but makes me wonder why these guys have KY Jelly on the road when sharing hotel rooms...

Snow raised that himself, saying kind of a 'who does that, takes KY on the road just to prank guys?', implying that Marty was just always looking for the rib.

About nine months before Mid-South tried to go national as the UWF, Randy Savage was supposed to join. In fact, Watts is supposed to have had Macho Man vignettes and the like all ready to go when Savage reversed course and joined up with the WWF instead. Obviously Hogan and Savage is one of the most famous WWE stories and Savage and Flair went on to be one of their big Wrestlemania matches, but it's fun to imagine what could have happened if a star like Savage had been the UWF's top talents - the legit number one guy - and those three had been rivals for different promotions. I'd wager he could have made enough of a difference that UWF have a much better chance of outlasting the oil recession that forced them to sell up to Crockett.

The Brain
    That is an interesting one, but my gut says the eventual outcome would have been Savage joining the WWF anyway a bit later on and likely having a similar run anyway. Worst case scenario it could have hurt his star power long term if he missed out on some key career moments like his Intercontinental Title run.

Long term I'm sure that he ends up in one of the other two, and the UWF ends up folding. But it is interesting to think about the critically-acclaimed promotion getting a legit superstar and running against Hogan etc. in 1986/7.... to me at least!

In late 2006, during my first run as a main page columnist, I emailed a few wrestling personalities not then associated with WWE and requested interviews. The only one who responded was Spike Dudley, then wrestling as Brother Runt in TNA, and he agreed to the interview. I emailed him a list of questions and one or two months later he replied with his responses. Spike was a total class act. I posted the column on the main page, and it caught the eye of another main page columnist, Boss Foxx. Boss Foxx was a very comedic columnist and, without telling me, posted a parody of the interview where he spliced together Spike's answers to different questions than the ones I asked. I'm sure you've seen late night comedians do those types of interviews.

Boss Foxx only meant for the column to be taken in good fun, but I was afraid Spike might not take it that way. I asked him to email Spike and explain it to him just to be safe, and Spike did not have a sense of humor about it. Boss Foxx and myself were emailing him, trying to explain things, but he labeled the both of us, and seemingly the rest of LOP, as jerks, saying we should have had more respect for talent that goes out of their way for us. During the time we were sending emails, Spike suddenly stopped responding. At the same time TNA issued a rule saying any interviews the talent did needed to be approved by the company first. Did the parody interview have anything to do this this new rule? Probably not, but you never know.

Transgender Terror
    I miss Boss Foxx/Valleyboy. He was good fun.

I also miss MadChuck.

I may have one of the longer tenures on this forum, holy hell. February 2003.