Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Brain
    Haha, actually never heard that one. Stu rarely looked coherent in the 90s so I can't begin to imagine how he processed that conversation, or what he did with the information afterwards.

Bruce and Corney have both told it, and each time I hear, both versions are just so funny. LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    The best in-ring story I heard recently was Ernie Ladd getting so fed up of a babyface who was getting too keen and not listening to him call the match, that he backed him into a corner and backed into him, grabbed the ropes, and said over his shoulder, 'you're gonna stay there until you listen to me; and when you listen, then we finish the match!'
    Just heard another version of this story which implies that the babyface in question was a very young and very keen Dr Death Steve Williams, who like a lot of green wrestlers was just trying to cram too much shit into his match until Ernie got fed up of him rushing and getting things wrong.

Tell you what though, the story takes on a whole new dimension when you figure he's doing it to a legit shooter!

Also a fun one, Bobby Eaton earned so little when he broke in working for Nick Gulas (who was notoriously poor paying anyway) that he could only afford a real piece out shit car. When his car(s) inevitably broke down he found himself taking the greyhound bus to make all the various towns.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    More proof that Bobby Eaton is the greatest person who ever lived.

I assume everyone has heard about Heyman, Bubba Dudley, and the FedEx tracking number?

The Brain
    I haven't, do tell!

Its a good one. When he was doing a lot of the business work for ECW Bubba was waiting for a cheque from Paul and was fed up with waiting when he called him to say they'd lose the building if it didn't come through.

Heyman said I swear it's already been sent out to you. So Bubba calls his bluff and asks for the tracking number.

And Heyman replies with total conviction "the number is 1....5....6....2....8.....9..8....7....6...5", or whatever the hell he says.

"uh, Paul, that's one too many numbers"

"eh, just knock the last one off"

Ha, yeah, I heard that before. It's quite a famous one, and I think Bubba told it on one of those ECW remembrance shows that they did. The same show, incidentally, when we found out that Paul Heyman knew how to basically hack into guys answering services. There's a dark side to those ECW days, man.

Haven't had many Haku stories in here so far. DiBiase used to tell one about how he was in a bar fight (some say he was trying to break it up), when the cops came. Obviously it's Meng, so they're not taking any chances with him without a fucking SWAT team, so they pepper spray him and stick the handcuffs on him. And the story goes he just dismissively snaps the cuffs behind his back and jumps back into the fight.

According to Haku himself, back in the kayfabe days he once bit a guy's nose off for saying the classic 'aren't you those fake wrestlers off the TV?'

And as that's not the most jolly, Owen Hart convinced Ahmed Johnson that he was going to appear on the tonight show. Not hugely far-fetched given the Mega-Push Johnson got in his first year in the WWF, but still... it was 1996, and even Shawn wasn't really getting those calls. Anyway, Ahmed buys it hook line and sinker, and apparently spends a huge amount of money on clothes and jewellery for the show. He's waiting for his limo getting more and more agitated when Owen asks him about it, and it's only after he's thought 'How does Owen know what time my limo is going to get here?' that the whole think sinks in....

The Brain
    Haha, you'd think anyone would know better than to believe Owen about anything. He must have been a damn convincing guy!

More Haku stories are always welcome, the dude is terrifying but awesome.

Love that ECW story, thanks for sharing!

Sounds more like Ahmed was an easy mark lol.

Heh, to be fair I think Owen almost always did this stuff over the phone. Most people had the the sense not to believe a word he said, but that wasn't enough to stop him.

He famously even got Stu once. According to Bret, he called his dad while he was there. I think they were in a hotel somewhere. Anyway, what's important is that he was pretending to be the bodybuilder Reg Park, and after a while of fake reminiscences turned to saying, with more and more assertive tones, that he could have beaten him in a shoot.

Eventually Stu gets angry enough that he yells out 'well if you wanted to try me Reg, why didn't you ever do it?!'. There's a few seconds of silence and then he slams the phone down. He turns to Bret with half a smile on his face.

'Owen. The little bastard got me.'

Not the best story in the world but still funny enough to be worth telling, and tells you something about the relationship between them.

Haven't shared a story in here but there's one I heard recently that's worth saying. It came up initially through Duke Droese's Twitter, of all places.

So anyway there's a WWF House Show in 1996, in Louisville. Jim Cornette is on creative so he's fairly senior but he's also managing Vader at this point in time, and if you don't know Cornette is afraid of flying (and doesn't do a great number of house shows at this point in his career) so he's turning up at the Gardens by car. When he gets there, show time starts approaching, and the Lanza's and Garea's and all the other guys are nowhere to be seen. Worse than that, none of the talent are around. He gets on the phone and discovers that there's been a problem with their flight and they aren't down in Indianapolis yet - 2 hours away, and with an hour until bell time.

Basically, he's the only agent present for a show that's about to go ahead and the entire roster has to not only touch down, but drive as fast as they can, in order to get there late for the show.

The entire roster missing - except two. Aldo Montoya, and Duke "The Dumpster" Droese.

I'm not really sure why they were both there, but that's all they have to work with - two undercard babyfaces. So they go out and they have a loooong match to give people chance to arrive, and eventually Droese beats Montoya. They come back through the curtain and there's still no sign of anyone, so they have Montoya go out again, say there's no way Droese would beat him a second time, and then Cornette comes out with Droese - I guess manufacturing a one night heel turn, as he cuts a promo to give them time to catch their breath. Then, they go again - this time Aldo gets the win. But between the two matches, these fans have now watched Droese and Aldo wrestle for something like 45 minutes.

They come back through the curtain again and there's still pretty much no one around, but the first guy to walk through the curtain is Vader, so to buy more time Cornette grabs him, they come out together and cut a ten minute promo about what is going to happen to Shawn Michaels in the main event.

They go backstage.... still no-one else there. And so they call a ten minute intermission to try and buy some more time.

It's at that point that people start arriving and they are able to get some other matches in the ring. But yeah, the first hour or so of this house show was the two Droese/Aldo matches and a couple of lengthy Cornette promos. I think it's fair to say that if you were in the crowd for that night, you did at least have the virtue of a unique show.

The Brain
    Haha, what a story! I looked around and even found the whole card...

WWF House Show 6/27/96 Louisville, Kentucky

Duke Droese defeats Aldo Montoya

Aldo Montoya defeats Duke Droese

The Bushwhackers (Butch & Luke) defeat The New Rockers

Savio Vega defeats Justin Bradshaw

Marc Mero defeats Hunter Hearst Helmsley

Phineas I. Godwinn defeats Billy Gunn

The Undertaker defeats Mankind

The British Bulldog defeats Yokozuna

WWF Intercontinental Title Match
    Ahmed Johnson (c) defeats Goldust by Count Out

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match
    Shawn Michaels (c) defeats Vader by DQ

Must have been pretty striking to look at the first "half" of the show compared to the second!!

I wonder if the matches between Droese and Montoya were any good...for if they were, why wasn't that type of event one of those moments where guys get accidentally made? Those 2 guys going out and saving that show by putting on 45+ minutes of action to stall should have gotten those guys some major respect backstage and with the execs.

The Brain
    Just how made could either guy be? I've got a little soft spot for both but with WCW just beginning to kick the ever-loving shit out of the company, even if they wanted to it would have been the wrong time to give a big push to the Dumpster or the future Justin Credible. Hopefully they got a pat on the back and something extra in their next paycheck. Even that only goes so far though, it's not like either guy was going to refuse to go out or anything.

There's also a reasonable chance those matches sucked, so there's that. I'm picturing a lot of long headlocks.

Yeah, the way I heard the story told, the crowd were pretty tired of the combination by the end. I'm sure they got a thank you but not much more.

Besides, these are two very cheesy gimmicks and we're talking about the summer of 1996, and even though I, like Mizfan, have more affection for both of these guys than many, they just weren't going to fit in much longer. Duke Droese had actually already recorded his last WWF TV matches of this run before this night, so he was basically already out of the door. Aldo still had a bit of time left and they'd eventually let him go to ECW where the rest would be history, but the Montoya gimmick had run its course and he hadn't won a match on TV that year, so it's not like they are suddenly going to about-face and make him a star - especially given they felt the need to send him to Memphis for seasoning in 1997.

So here's another one you might know, and one you can tell quite quickly. Jim Ross went to the meeting that the promoters had to try and coordinate the response to McMahon, basically as a kind of second for Cowboy Bill Watts, head of the Universal Wrestling Federation at the time. While they are at the meeting, Ross heads to the toilet, and he's sat in the stall. The door opens and a couple of the older promoters walk in, and you can tell they aren't really impressed with what they are hearing and have another solution. So one says.

'Why are we going to all this trouble over Vince McMahon? Why don't we just have him killed?'

At which point JR decides to go very quiet, and pulls his feet up so they aren't visible under the bottom of the door. I guess he doesn't want to be either an accessory to murder, or find himself in the boot of a car with a shovel and a sack of quicklime as they eliminate potential witnesses.

But yeah, JR does tell this story about being at this meeting and some of the old-time, racketeering style promoters talking about putting an end to the WWF incursions by ordering a hit on Vinnie Mac.

The Brain
    Haha, I can't say I'm surprised to hear that one! Obviously they didn't have the guts to do it (or weren't entirely serious) but there more than a little of the actual mob in old school wrestling mentality.

Speaking of Watts, are there any stories about that random stretch in the mid 90s where he became WWF head booker for all of about a week or so? His behavior during his WCW stint is very notorious so I always wondered how much of that carried over to his brief WWF stint.

There's a good one that I heard the other day that shows both sides of the race issue that we've discussed before with regards to Cowboy. So there's basically two stints there in that run - one in which he has the book and it lasts 1-2 weeks before he realises that Vince is never going to let him book the show, and he goes home, and another one where he's kinda like a part time version of the role that Ross, Prichard and Cornette had, so he's kind of like an adviser to Vince. This actually relates to the latter, rather than the former, but it's still worth telling.

So, Vince is very high on young Tony Norris (the future Ahmed Johnson), and they all look at him and see a huge, muscular guy, great look, pretty mobile, and everyone else thinks he might not be Bobby Eaton but we can work with this, we get what he sees here. So there's a big feeling, led by Vince, that Ahmed Johnson is a guy to get over. The biggest ally of this in many ways is Watts, who is completely signed up to Vince's idea of having a young, black babyface. Though it hadn't worked out as planned with Ron Simmons in WCW, it sounds like he was again making the case that done right, Ahmed could have been put in a similar position to the one he'd had JYD in back in Mid-South. The version of the story I'm telling here is from JR, and he says that even at that point he guessed that they weren't dealing with another JYD, but that's no reason not to try and do your best. But yeah, long story short, Watts and Vince are totally on the same page on this, and everyone else is going along with it.

So they start thinking about what he's going to be called, and I'm not sure how they alight on the name Johnson but they do really quickly. It's certainly a better name for a superstar than 'Norris', anyway. But there's a fair bit more time on the first name and they can't really come to a decision. And this is where the two sides of Watts comes in, because although he was totally signed up to the idea and the positive representation of a young black babyface, in 1995 his idea for a first name for him was 'Buck'. Buck Johnson.

JR and Cornette are obviously both Watts guys since they both basically learned wrestling from studying under him, but even at the time it sounds like they were cringing inside. JR basically said when telling this story that 'shit, we might as well call him Porkchop Johnson', recalling another shitty trope that promoters had thrown at black guys in the 1960s.

So yeah, I think they eventually settled on Ahmed because it had some cooler and more modern overtones, which whatever happened with the guy in the end I think was the smarter decision all round. But it's a good story that shows how you can kind of have the right intentions but get tainted by the associations and thought processes that you get stuck in.

The Brain
    Man, that is a revealing story for sure. Can't deny Watts consistently pushed for black babyfaces to take the spotlight whenever he could but at the same time he would often throw some rancid shit into the mix. The horrible way Simmons was booked as champion still sticks in my craw. Dude probably would have tried to give a big push to Saba Simba.

Another one from JR, this time from the recent Dusty Rhodes episode of his podcast. Apparently Ross and Jim Barnett went looking for Dusty, and found him, "bollock naked" as the expression goes, running through what he was going to say in his promo. Once it became clear he was in the zone and they weren't going to get much sense out of the Dream, and with little Dream bouncing away in full sight, they left him to it, at which point Barnett, who made no secret of his sexuality, is supposed to have said 'My god, if I saw much more of that I'd switch teams.'

The Brain
    Ha! I get the sense there are a lot of nude stories in the secret history of WWE. Also, did not know Barnett was gay, so that's interesting too!