Thread: Brock Lesnar

Brock Lesnar

As it stands, the current Universal Champion. And from what I gather the plan is to leave the belt on him long enough that he'll be the longest reigning top-tier champion in WWE since Hogan's 1,000 day reign in the 80's.

So beyond the Punk reign? Mind you, I suppose that's only about another 35 days or so away now, given he went for the year at Mania and then has had another month since.

I just wish we were seeing the Lesnar from his first return rather than this one, at the moment. He was a much more interesting proposition.

The Brain
    Lesnar was the first WWE champion I ever had when I started watching in 2003, so he'll always have a special place in my heart. I think he was one of the best in the world in 2003, which is saying a lot. That Lesnar was truly amazing.

I was excited when he came back and his first match with Cena was amazing, one of the most visceral and brutal matches ever, and the finish never bothered me. My excitement for him slowly died off as his terrible feud with Triple H bombed, rebounded somewhat with the Punk match, but ever since 2014 I haven't been able to muster a shit to give.

I'll always say the Streak had to end, but Lesnar was a poor choice, and the match was the drizzling shits. The Suplex City style has made his matches since an absolute chore, and I know some people say he still brings some kind of aura but whatever it is, it sure isn't working on me anymore. I know it's not the popular opinion but I thought the Undertaker rematches were garbage, and the Orton and Ambrose matches were flat out embarrassing. The Goldberg feud did nothing for me, though again I know I'm not the majority there. His match with Reigns this past 'Mania was a flat out chore.

His only real use seems to be when he's in a multi-man and allowed to hide for a big chunk of the match before doing a short burst of something interesting, with the only exception being if he's paired with a truly elite worker who can drag him to give a shit, like AJ did last year. His complete physical (and often mental) absence one of the worst choices for champion of all time and his drawing ability is exaggerated to say the least. And for god's sake, he seems blown up half the time he's working anyway, so if he doesn't give a shit why should I? One of the chief reasons I hardly watch WWE anymore, to be honest.

I believe he isn't on the card for the next PPV so assuming he doesn't show up on RAW and lose it in the meantime, yes, it's going beyond the Punk reign. The question that becomes how much longer. July? Summerslam? Survivor Series? Royal Rumble? Next year's Wrestlemania?

I actually do get the Lesnar fatigue and even though he does still have some kind of an aura, it isn't what it once was. With that said, until you can produce someone else who has that kind of aura (and the obvious answer is Braun fucking Strowman even though they seem resistant to going all in on him) then I think you almost have to continue to get whatever you can out of Lesnar.

It ain't going to work for everyone, but if you think of it as a three-ring circus it makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time
    I believe he isn't on the card for the next PPV so assuming he doesn't show up on RAW and lose it in the meantime, yes, it's going beyond the Punk reign. The question that becomes how much longer. July? Summerslam? Survivor Series? Royal Rumble? Next year's Wrestlemania?

I actually do get the Lesnar fatigue and even though he does still have some kind of an aura, it isn't what it once was. With that said, until you can produce someone else who has that kind of aura (and the obvious answer is Braun fucking Strowman even though they seem resistant to going all in on him) then I think you almost have to continue to get whatever you can out of Lesnar.

It ain't going to work for everyone, but if you think of it as a three-ring circus it makes more sense.
    I think SummerSlam. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see him in the title match at WrestleMania next yr.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

The Brain
    I'll tolerate him better when he finally loses that god damned title. I understand the logic of not having your champion on TV every week, I actually like that, but his presence is just way too low. At this point I feel like people forget that Universal title even exists most of the time.

Partially agree. I don't think he's there too little personally but I think it feels that way because they don't make the most of his dates. There's definitely an issue with that, I've seen it in too many places.

If he doesn't wanna turn up every week get him to record a slate of interviews every six weeks and slide them in as a pre-record.

The Brain
    It's just way too little for me, anyway. Apples & oranges, maybe, but Flair wrestled as much in a day as Lesnar does in a year, and Flair was a much more consistent draw than Lesnar could ever hope to be. Hogan didn't wrestle much on TV, but he was generally out there doing the legwork on house shows and popping big gates, making real money for the company and sending fans home happy. Even Hollywood era Hogan wrestled more than Lesnar, for god's sake.

Well, Flair didn't appear as a wrestler on TV that often during his eighties run. In my rewatch I've seen him wrestle maybe three times? Granted he was working 'every night and twice on sundays' off TV. And to be fair he's doing an interview on most of them. But yeah, there's only about half a dozen televised matches there in 1988, believe it or not.

The Brain
    Oh, I can easily believe that, but he maintained an actual presence and like you said, he was drawing money on a weekly (or even daily) basis. I just don't think Lesnar contributes on anywhere near that level, sitting at home most of the year and barely showing up even when he does show up.

Perhaps. Personally my take is that as long as they're making money I don't worry about the business side. That's for them. So I only really concern myself with what's 'canon'. As for the money, if Vince is happy and it's his money I can't say it's going to worry me.

The Brain
    Ok, how about contributing anything on a weekly basis? It doesn't have to be money, just anything, instead of, you know, nothing.

That's why I'd do a bunch of prerecorded stuff to slip in. He doesn't need to be there to be on the show. If it's the travel he hates that's easily cut down.

I'd want to see him wrestling a few more times as well, if he's going to have the belt, but to me that's about getting more out of the dates he does work. The amount of times he has stood behind Paul smirking... And I just think you used one of your dates on that?!

How about a Woken Brock Lesnar so we can have a Lesnar compound match with Lesnar and Strowman with Sable and the kiddies.

No travel for Lesnar.

The Brain
    Lesnar demanding that people come to his house to take the title actually sounds more interesting than most of his recent feuds.

True enough, but to be frank I think you can apply that to pretty much any WWE main roster feud over the past year or so.

All I can say is thank god for 205/NXT and the Vault, or they'd need to pay me to keep a Network subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder
    How about a Woken Brock Lesnar so we can have a Lesnar compound match with Lesnar and Strowman with Sable and the kiddies.

No travel for Lesnar.
    Intriguing!

Twitter: @libsuperstar

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Lesnar demanding that people come to his house to take the title actually sounds more interesting than most of his recent feuds.
    To be honest, I think they could have pulled the trigger on this after Mania.

'You lost, Roman! And now my contract has expired but I'm keeping the title! You, and anybody else, will have to come to my house to take it from me!'

Cue a bunch of matches in the woods somewhere.

Are you guys actually trying to kill me?!

Seeing reports now that we won't see Lesnar again, even on TV, until they start building to Summerslam.

Is that too long for a champ to be off TV?

Why do people act like the Universal title matters, or Lesnar? It's not too long for the Universal champ to be off TV. If it was AJ and the WWE title, then I'd say yes.

30 day rule anyone?

Remember how they stripped Namoi because she wasn't going to be a Wrestlemania but she recovered early and would have made it to her 'mandatory' challenge on time anyway.

Honestly I wouldn't care if it was Dean Ambrose, the way the WWE TV is structured if the champ isn't there it holds things up too long particularly when creative are not exactly known for their creativity. All the better for Rollins though who is effectively Raw's top champion for the next 2 and a bit months.