Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UFC/MMA

BUT...what happens if/when Lesnar loses the UFC fight and doesn't win the title? The shine is off Lesnar for Wrestlemania.

The upside of having Lesnar with both belts and co-promoted as champions for both is awesome, but if he loses in the UFC, then that goes down hill.

Also, IF Lesnar wins his UFC fight and the title, then how can he possibly LOSE as Wrestlemania? Lesnar a legitimate fighting champion gets beat by a "fake" wrestler? Yes, I know, scripted outcomes, but you all get my point.

This is why Lesnar should not be the Universal Champion right now. They should have held off until after the Cormier fight. If Lesnar wins, then he goes into WM with the UFC title around his waist and then wins the Uni Title. If he loses the UFC fight, then he also loses at Mania.

The timing of the UFC fight is really not great for the WWE. Perfect for the UFC, as they have no down side. They get their buys and their fight regardless of the outcome, but the WWE needs to plan their narrative and the legit sport's outcome can and should greatly affect WM plans.

I don't necessarily think so. There's no reason a loss needs to kill him. He can show up on Monday the 4th by coming out during a match (preferably a match with some upper midcard guys) and killing everyone.

Then Paul can cut the promo that on that one night Cormier was the better man, nobody can win them all, Cormier has to retire because he's so afraid of facing Brock a second time, etc. Then pivot to "there will never be a 'better man' again, Brock isn't going to beat them, he's going to hurt them, etc.

You don't lose all your luster with one loss, especially if you can spin it. That's the beauty of pro wrestling.

My issue is this isn't 2014 and the shine on Brock has worn off on both sides except for the people in charge. Remember, a few years ago, it could be argued that Brock was the biggest star in WWE.. Fans loved when he showed up. Now? its stale and that's hard to get back. In the UFC, it was a big moment when he returned but he beat Mark Hunt and then popped on a drug test. The buys will probably still be good for another Brock fight but I feel like he hurt his legacy with that failed test.

they're probably going to need to do Brock/Batista and hope Batista has the fanbase behind him. Brock has made Braun look like a chump and they have no one else ready.

Copying these last few posts across from the Lesnar thread because they obviously have a bearing on what might be going down in the UFC in March....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Happy that Cerrone got the win in his hometown. His last few losses have been been brutal and Mike Perry, while not super well-rounded, does have scary power.

That last second knockout of the Korean Zombie will go down as a thing of legend. Sick, sick, KO

Well Kamaru Usman proved that he is a contender last night. He really handled RDA. I know some folks find his style less than compelling, but this not a lay and pray fighter - he is a beast and is always trying to better his position. Whatever judge had the fight scored 48-47 is a fucking disgrace.

Speaking of disgraces, Yves Lavigne has some real explaining to do. He put Joseph Benavidez in serious danger by half-heartedly stepping in for a stoppage and then for SOME reason reversing course. Benavidez stood up from the pounding he was laying on Perez and could have been been really hurt if Perez had been able to catch him unprepared with a monster shot.

I'm always a little behind because of the way BELLATOR gets distributed here, but just caught up on the Pitbull vs Sanchez fight. Thought it was a good show on the whole, really enjoyed the womens' match in particular. It's that classic thing of styles making fights and there's just something really intriguing when you've got someone who so obviously wants to make it to the floor and someone who really wants to stand up and brawl.

That was a good show. It was probably Bellator’s best offering in a few shows. They had two shows this weekend (Friday and Saturday) I suspect to try to keep even with the UFC since they had one of their mega weekend offerings with the TUF finale on Friday and fight night on Saturday. I thought the Friday show was ok and haven’t gotten around to watching the Saturday show yet - it’s a whole lot of fighting to try to get through in one weekend. There is definitely something really intriguing about a clash of styles, it does create a great game of human chess.

UFC 232 moved last minute from Vegas to accommodate none other than (he’ll never main event again) Jon Jones. Jones’ USADA test showed trace amounts of a prohibited substance (everyone seems to agree it was trace enough that it’s most likely a relic of the substance which popped his last test). Vegas doesn’t have time to license him, but he will be licensed in time to fight in Cali.

Dana White is going to burn his fans in Vegas and the rest of the fighters on this card for a dude that has proven he deserves no one to have faith in him. I understand not canceling another main event, but for fuck’s sake is there no loyalty to the rest of the fighters on this card or the fans in Vegas?!?!

What a freakin' joke

I once thought Jon Jones was pretty awesome. Guy is now dead to me now and at this point his whole career has to be under a question mark. You could argue that early on he was probably fighting other guys on drugs but someone like Cormier's record stands in such stark contrast, guy has never had a hint of any kind of infringement. In a dream move Cormier would finish his career by dusting up Brock in the Octagon and finally beating Jones in his final match.

Also what a bum move by the UFC. This is the kind of thing people fly internationally for. Imagine planning your whole holiday trip around a Vegas fight and then having it moved at the last minute. Freakin' nuts.

@Sir_Samuel

I was just about to pick up UFC Fight Pass when the news broke and it put me off. I know they won't worry about one person and one subscription but it does make you wonder how many people were like me in that position and what the net effect would be.

I'm caught up on Bellator to the point that BK was talking about above - it does take a while to get through all of this fighting, even with a 'lip service' attitude to the millions of hours of wrestling that are out there nowadays.

Prime - I'm sure you're not the only person that feels that way. I was thinking about getting the fight at home and having some buddies over, or going out to a bar to watch, but I refused to support last night's card after the switch of venues. The hypocrisy of the rules only applying to most, but not all fighters has really taken the wind out of my sails as a fan - not of the sport, but any organization that Dana White is involved with (he's made some pretty remarkably stupid comments in trying to justify his position and has consistently shown no regard for the other fighters on the card).

Jones' career will have an asterisk next to it - it's that simple from my perspective. He hasn't had the best track record with tests since USADA came on as the testing authority, and we can only surmise what sort of nonsense he didn't get caught for prior to stricter testing. He can talk as much smack as he wants about DC not being the champ-champ, but the truth is that Jones may very well be the greatest of all time, but we have no way of knowing since he has popped more than one test and is apparently allowed to fight while still having trace amounts of banned substances in his system. BUT Jones is a product of the people who let him continue to get away with this BS. If he's continued to allowed to cheat and game the system with little to no repercussions then why wouldn't he. The UFC is a disgrace and I have watched sporadically going back to Shamrock and Severn and have been a full time fight fan since Chuck/Tito. I don't think I can bring myself to support the organization anymore.

Sorry for the double post, but it's been four weeks

\So...I did boycott the free UFC event last week and I'm not that hung up about missing it. Seems that the Cejudo/Dillashaw match was called early, at least it was if you listen to Dana White who doesn't make any public statements against interest and he is committed to protecting Dillashaw. The top brass really wanted/needed Dillashaw to win that one, so it tickles me a bit to see Cejudo win. I'm no big Cejudo fan, but when the organization is against you and you beat their guy, that's always a huge moral victor.

I can say that last night's Bellator was good, not great, but good. Jake Hager debuted in IMPRESSIVE fashion. I don't think the guy he fought was top caliber, but it was cool to see Hager do his thing and look very, very dominant grappling.

I won't talk about HW Grand Prix final fight as I know a bunch of our friends across the pond don't have access to the fights yet, but I'm happy with the end result and like the tournament style process that Bellator employs. It's a throwback and it avoids politics (for the most part).

Quote Originally Posted by BK-097 View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but it's been four weeks
    Yeah, the problem with following it the way I do is that I'm at the mercy of the tv station putting it on when they want to. I've been waiting for the most recent show for ages now.

Actually, will have to have another look today. May be a double post myself in a bit...