Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC/MMA

UFC/MMA

With the next UFC event a few hours away it seems like a good thing to try and bring this back, and I'm going to stick it for now as a live thread.

Then it'll become the general MMA thread in time.

Anyway, Whittaker and Yomero is the main though I think I heard something about the latter failing to make weight?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Yeah missed it by a fifth of a pound. Always disappointing when it happens. I dunno, the whole weight thing has always been a mystery to me. They break their balls in the days leading up to the fight to get underweight, sometimes taking massive health risks and then walk into the cage 10-15 pounds heavier than the weigh in. I can see the advantage but it boggles me that they just don't fight at the more appropriate weight class.

Dunno if I'll last the night on this one. If not will catch it tomorrow. Defo wanna see the Punk fight.

Not a bad card overall this. Overeem, Rashad, Holm, RDA, Covington all on before the main event. Covington will be another good one to watch. The man always got some good heel shit in the bag.

Outside of the obvious taking place in the other thread, any thoughts on the rest of the card?

As a casual UFC fan, I thought it was a good show. Colby Covington is a prick but a talented fighter that pushed RDA to his limit. Good fight. And the Main event was a war. Also, Curtis Blaydes really destroyed Overeem's face. Not sure if he can beat Stipe but looks like the best heavyweight with a chance besides DC.

Odds are out for a match between Lesnar and Jon Jones. Bookies favouring Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Some of our press are picking up a story about the WWE being unable to secure Lesnar for any dates in the near future, including PPV through the rest of the summer. Interesting.
    UFC? Could he be going back in the USADA pool or whatever it is, so Dana can book him to defeat some other scrub? Or even he and Vince continue to work together on the Lesnar project and get Lesnar as duel UFC and WWE Champion?

Like, I'm not naive enough to assume that Dana and Vince aren't working together right now, nor am I naive enough to fully think that UFC isn't 'booked' to some extent. I think they might do a duel champion thing.

I don't think Brock can beat Cormier (current champion in the division), or Jones (possible future champion, and Brock's big money fight they're dying to arrange).

Thing is, he doesn't have to beat them to make those fights happen.

Well, of course. He's in it for the big money, and Jones-Lesnar is a legitimate big time fight. I just meant that I don't expect him to be champion again.

Oh no. TBH, at his age and his skills, Brock could probably only beat a low end guy at this point. Someone that's just a brawler.. The top guys are pretty much levels above Brock... so I can only see one superfight and that's it. I think that's best for all involved too.. Put him in there with Stipe, Cormier or Jones and then UFC future guys aren't hurt if they somehow lose and if Brock won, he could have a few more big money fights.

Cormier v Stipe this weekend. Who have you got?

I love both guys and can think of reasons to support both guys. I think it will come down to the wrestling, can Stipe's counter wrestling work hard enough to keep it on the feet where he has the much clearer advantage.

@Sir_Samuel

I'm hoping Stipe wins and fake champ Cormier cries.

I think Stipe is a better fighter and I do like DC but it would be better for the sport if he lost... and then lost his title not even to jones just to someone up and coming.

What is with all the Cormier hate? He has done nothing but beat everyone except a guy who's history with PEDs is suspect at best. Out of the cage he is engaging, intelligent and actually pretty funny.

I get the Stipe love, he is basically Rocky in real life but not the DC hate.

@Sir_Samuel

I just think he’s as fake as they come. It’s also a joke he calls himself a champ. He never won the belt.

That heavyweight match before the main event was baffling.

And Brock is out of hiding and in the house.

EDIT: Props to DC. Wow. He won a belt tonight.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 07-08-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Can't wait for DC to wreck Brock. People may call DC fake and all that but he's a great fighter and should dominate Brock.

Brock is entertaining but not very skilled. It could be shorter than tonight's fight.

I imagine it will be. DC can throw combos now that Brock couldn't even dream of. All he has is his wrestling and DC is better at that....I guess brock could win if he took DC down and sat on him.

Brock hasn't fought in a few years and did not look good against Mark Hunt of all people.

I wonder if they bring back Jones to face Cormier at heavyweight next year? Lewis is clearly not ready.. .that fight was awful.. and they have no other heavyweight contenders.... Always thought Jon was too big for LHW anyway... if he has life together tho, he could rule both divisions if he wanted just like DC.
    Last edited by LK3185; 07-08-2018 at 12:52 AM.

I'm not more intrested in Brock wrestling now that the UFC deal is done... i'm more into UFC simply because i want to see Brock get his ass kicked.. and I'm a Brock fan, it just amuses me that UFC and WWE bend over for him... When while he's been a huge star for UFC, would also get wrecked by most top heavyweights and in WWE, I don't think he's the draw he once was. If anything, his star is diminishing in both realms. UFC because of being away and the PEDS and WWE for being away so long and in a shit story line.

I remember when you could say Brock was of the most over people on the roster just a few years ago.

Another interesting thing is that technically Brock and Dana and Cormier have not signed anything (yet). Brock could just be using this as a negotiating tactic, and re-sign with WWE. However, Dana said Brock still has fights left on his 'frozen' contract; so Brock could re-sign with WWE, and also still end up doing this fight.

This is just as WWE is on its way to record revenues solely because of the TV deals. They could probably double his salary without flinching and match UFC's huge offers. How the times have changes.Brock's a genius.

I think the DC/Brock fight happens but almost regardless of what happens in the fight.... I don't see Brock winning but if he did.. you'd get more out of him of course... Still, there's not many money fights out there... if he wins, you do a Stipe fight... or Jon Jones... Brock loses the DC fight which is likely.. I don't know what you do after that. Plus DC is talking about retiring.. Jon Jones is the only other guy out there with a strong enough name even with his past.

In theory, WWE could do more with Brock but do they really need to when they have Ronda and they already have that massive tv rights deal?

Brock's a freakshow attraction at this point. He loses to DC, you can still do the Jones fight when he's back and it'll sell PPVs. You can do the Brock-Hunt rematch. There's some intrigue there since Brock failed the test last time. We've never had the Overeem rematch, and a fight with Junior would be interesting.

If he loses, you just put him in special attraction fights with legends and other names. It doesn't have to main event but still gets him on the poster and doing the promotional rounds.

If he wins...good god. You've got the Stipe fight. The Overeem rematch again. Ngannou is one where Brock's got a halfway decent chance of coming out the other end with the belt, but if he doesn't you might have made a star overnight. Give Mark Hunt a title shot. Jones will probably be back eventually.

My preference is actually for him to have all those non-title name fights, but that's mostly because I'm not sure we need to see Overeem or Junior in title fights in 2019.

Thing is, most of those guys have fallen off really bad.. they're not challenging for the title cause they're not at that level anymore (and Hunt never was but i guess i would be curious about a rematch.. except i don't think the ped's made him lose..) If Brock was to win, you could do those name fights if you wanted and/or build someone young to beat him...What sucks is Ngannou/Lewis had one of the worst fights i've ever seen on Saturday. plus, I think Brock is a good enough wrestler where he could get them both down..

Oh I completely agree with you. Brock's primary value is in big name fights at this point and doesn't need to win a belt to be a valuable asset.

But this seems to be indicative of the fact that the Heavyweight division is just a little shallow at this point. You have the name guys who probably shouldn't be in a title fight at this point, and younger guys who aren't as exciting, don't have the name value and seem pretty evenly matched enough that nobody is really putting a bunch of wins together.

Stipe and Brock would be really interesting and I think fun to watch, and you almost have to assume that no matter who wins he's next in line, right?

I don't think that PEDs were the reason Hunt lost either, but when it comes to selling a PPV Hunt vs Brock, title or not, has a compelling story.

Yeah i don't think from a heavyweight standpoint, Stipe is out of it by no means. He was holding his own against DC and the power surprised him. he's the next best guy so unless Jon Jones is coming up, You'd almost have to have Stipe the next challenge (provided he beats whoever he faces in the interim) They could have built up Lewis or Ngannou for the spot but they were so unimpressive, they need to bounce back or you've really got nothing there.

I see it going like Brock loses, and they probably try to sneak in a Brock/Jon jones fight before a Jones/DC rematch...

No idea if Phil is remotely likely to bite, and even less idea as to who might want to see it at this point, but Aaron Chalmers just called out CM Punk on Twitter.

Overheard a conversation last night about how McGregor was basically a shoo-in to win. Bookies don't agree. Just checked the odds and every last one has Khabib as the favourite going in.

One of two things will happen I believe.

1. Conor will connect and drop him with a punch and Khabib is out. Khabib has been rocked in the past but only rocked. No one has ever been able to capitalise and finish.

2. Conor will gas himself out throwing punches and get taken part. Happened vs Diaz in the first fight. Happened vs Mcgregor in boxing.

You just don't know what's going through the man's head. He chartered a plane to NYC for 30 people fully intent on committing a crime and ended up getting a huge UFC fight out of it. He's nuts.

He looks in terrific condition Mcgregor at the weigh in. I think he will be as good as he can be fight wise. But even Mcgregor on his best day needs to be worried about Khabib. Does he have a plan B is the big question.

Vs Diaz II, Conor punched and ran for 5 rounds. That was the game plan, preserved his energy and won way more comfortably than the points suggested imo.

Diaz though has all the intelligence of a toilet duck. Khabib won't let Conor run away. So Plan B for Conor has to be to wear Khabib down with punches and be able to hang with him on the ground.

No one has ever hung with Khabib on the ground.

See if you use footage of a man batin a gate through a bus window, you're only gonna piss the Russians off.

Mcgregor badly owned there. UFC need to decide what these boys are worth to them, some shocking behaviours throughout all this.

What a fucking circus. I should have known things were a lot more hated than usual with the abnormal amount of security in the octagon before the fight and during the instructions and pre-fight touching of gloves (which they obviously didn’t do). The one dude who hopped the fence and attacked McGregor will probably be banned from UFC events for life.

People saying Conor took the first shot at one guy coming into the cage and I'm like yeah, i would too if my opponent just jumped my corner team on the outside. Blame to go around for everyone.

Conor and his camp got everything they deserved and more. Khabib tapped out Conor, then Conor's corner said something, Khabib wasn't going to take it so he acted out. The one person I blame for the whole thing is Dana White Dana did nothing to Conor after the bus incident. In fact, they used that to promote the fight, and when you back a man to a corner, that man is going to settle all family business then and there. You know that in a few months they'll announce a rematch, and use this as promotion and it will reinforce this type of behavior. UFC is playing a very, very dangerous game that boxing did. When Tyson was a loose cannon in the 90's, everyone tuned in to see, but now that boxing is trying to sell fighers, only Mayweather sells because he does and says crazy things to sell the fight. No one wants just fights, they want the whole drama around it, and UFC will push that and in a few years want to just be fighting and instead can't sell because the fights will lack this level of drama.

Any Bellator fans on here? For those following the heavyweight Grand Prix I kinda felt like Mitrione/Bader was going to determine the eventual winner of the whole tournament, but it wasn’t even close. I know that the HW Grand Prix has been a combination of has-beens, never-weres, and guys who would be undersized in a more traditional heavyweight setting but I do miss tournaments. Looking forward to the welterweight Grand Prix...so far not much to speak of there in the first matchup either but could be where the leather meets the pavement for Michael Page. Interested to see what he does with top competition.

Yeah I kinda follow Bellator, at least the stuff that gets televised here in the UK. That Bader and Mitrione fight was incredibly one-sided. I kinda feel like we're going to get the right final though.

Also, did anyone see that Mandel Nello KO with the knee? That was brutal.

Weirdly though, and I can't lie about this, in many ways my favourite fight that I've seen on the last couple of shows was Melendez and Zimmerman. I got strangely drawn into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Yeah I kinda follow Bellator, at least the stuff that gets televised here in the UK. That Bader and Mitrione fight was incredibly one-sided. I kinda feel like we're going to get the right final though.
    Going in I thought that Mitrione vs. Bader determine the winner ultimately, but in light of they way that Fedor has looked in the tournament (granted against Mir who is over the hill and Sonen who is undersized and never that spectacular even in his natural weight class) I think this is the right final. Fedor will be far more competitive on the ground that Mitrione was - that said, I still like Bader to win. I am really interested to see what Bader could have done at HW for the entirety of his career. He'd be on the smaller side in the weight class, but he looks more comfortable and frankly is more interesting in the HW weight class. I've always been a fan of his, but there are times where he has been really boring. His wrestling and dominance of Mitrione was spectacular and was so far from the "lay and pray" title that he has been saddled with previously. Some of that probably has to do with Mitrione being a pretty horrendous wrestler, but I'm wondering if he just has more energy fighting at a higher weight.

I don't even want to try and predict that final to be honest. Feel Fedor's been like an irresistible force, but Bader looked so impressive.

We're what, ten days away from the Bellator Featherweight title bout between Patricio Pitbull and Emmanuel Sanchez now? I noticed that there's a Couture vs Gozali rematch on the undercard too.

Over in UFC, saw Cormier warning Lesnar off a return to the Octagon....

Main page reporting Lesnar's contract includes Wrestlemania... read into that what you will.

That is intresting to me in that Cormier wants to fight in March so if Brock is the opponent, He can't really be doing much TV for WWE to build to a Mania match. Usually, he's around for that build.

UFC 235 is March 2. That's likely the date that they're gunning for for the Brock fight, since Cormier has March 21 earmarked as his retirement date.

That could put Brock back on TV for five weeks before Mania. That's pretty standard in recent years for match announcements and builds at Mania, plus Paul can be around all February hyping Brock's UFC fight and building to something with Brock's opponent.

I'm somewhat convinced that they want Brock holding that belt heading into Mania. The reason being that both Dana and Vince would probably salivate at the notion of Paul Hayman/WWE spending the entire month of February promoting UFC 235 in exchange for Brock doing all his interviews/promotional stuff/video packages/walk to the cage with that WWE Universal Championship around his waist.

The other option, more interesting in my opinion, is Brock loses the belt in December but wins the Rumble. He doesn't have to do much in the match to risk his UFC fight or hurt his training camp. He can come in at like 20, work a standard (and relatively safe) battle royal style and win.

Then, you have the story of this guy on a mission to win BOTH of sports entertainment's biggest Championships. In a perfect storytelling world, he beats Cormier and when Rogan puts the mic to his mouth he cuts the promo selling WrestleMania that he just won this belt and now he's winning the other in five weeks.