Kizuna Road 2018

Thread for the NJPW Kizuna Road events, starting in around four days from Saitama.

In this run (19th in Tokyo) they're having a retirement ceremony for Super Strong Machine.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    New Japan already has the cards for most of the shows already. The show on the 17th will be headlined by Michael Elgin defending the NEVER Openweight title against Goto, and the next show on the 18th will feature Hiromu Takahashi defending the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight championship against El Desperado. The rest of the shows will feature the typical multi-man matches, so there doesn't seem to be much to look forward to match-wise.

The G1 Climax participants, blocks and matches will be announced during the Kizuna Road shows, so that's probably the thing that most people will be anticipating during these events.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 06-11-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Did I see that Honma was back for it?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Honma is returning on the 23rd in a 10 man tag against LIJ.

GUESS WHO'S BACK IN NJPW? JEFF COBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Macho Mourn; 06-12-2018 at 07:24 PM.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

The Brain
    Good for Cobb! He deserves plenty of exposure.

Glad for Honma coming back too. Hope he takes it easy on his head this time.

Oh yeah, I saw Honma announced for those shows as well. He was on a local TV show about two weeks ago and hinted at wanting to come back soon, so I'm glad he's able to continue doing what he's doing there.

As for the G1 Climax announcements, I read that the participants will be announced on the 17th, the block groupings will be announced on the 18th, and the featured matches will be announced on the 19th. I'm looking forward to that, since I'll be heading to the first of the Osaka shows (there will be two this year).

The Brain
    You're a lucky man Deg. Pretty sure I spotted you during Okada/Omega!! Gonna be anywhere near that close to the action again?

For the G1 Climax show I'm going to I haven't received the ticket yet but it'll be anywhere from the 1st to 5th rows.

Kizuna Road kicks off in a few hours, headlined by a ten-man match between Taguchi, Jeff Cobb, Juice, Elgin and Tanahashi and CHAOS (Gedo, Ishii, Jay White, Goto and Okada). It's weird to think that this is Okada's first time in two years he'll be coming out without holding a championship belt. I wonder how he'll be handling this.

Sorry for the double-post, but this deserved a bump.

Goto just regained the NEVER Openweight Championship by beating Michael Elgin. The match itself was pretty good, which included Taichi getting involved in the middle after a brief ref bump and taking down both guys. The inteference prompted Jeff Cobb to come down and take Taichi out and brawl all the way to the back to let the match continue. After the match was over, Jeff Cobb came out to check on Elgin but then got in the face of Goto, then took the mic and challenging him for the title. Goto accepted, so this match will be coming sometime down the road.

I'm not sure why they gave Elgin an eight-day reign, but I guess that they needed a main event for one of the Kizuna Road shows.

EDIT: New Japan also announced this year's G1 participants during the show. I started a new thread about the G1 to keep that discussion there.

EDIT 2: Hiromu Takahashi retained the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship in a solid match again El Desperado. After the match he said he wanted to challenge Dragon Lee for the title.

The main events so far have been pretty good. Tonight's show will be the Super Strong Machine retirement ceremony. Honestly, I'll mostly be watching just to see the match dates for the G1.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 06-19-2018 at 07:36 AM.

The Brain
    Deg, that's so close!! I look forward to trying to spot you in the crowd again like I did at Dominion!!

Kind of surprised they switched it off Elgin. Maybe they just remembered he's already torched all his good will in the US?

The title switch was pretty much a shock to everyone I've seen online. The Kizuna Road shows aren't really known for title changes happening, much less for a title that switched hands just over a week prior. I don't know how New Japan is managing Elgin's issues, but he's still well-received by the crowds in Japan so it might be a little tricky to deal with. Maybe they'll have Jeff Cobb phase Elgin out and slowly take his spot.

I caught a few matches for Kizuna Road and it's been interesting to see Okada. He's been acting a bit deflated, not posing or playing to the crowds as he did before. He's pretty much been isolated to multi-man tag matches with the rest of his CHAOS stablemates so there hasn't been much else to see from him but it's kinda weird to see at times.

The Kizuna Road shows wrapped up last weekend with not much else to note outside of Tomoaki Honma returning to in-ring action after his serious injury in March of last year. I had seen him on Japanese TV a few times in the last few months and he always talked about coming back. I'm happy that he's able to get back to the ring and doing what he clearly loves to do.

The Brain
    Definitely glad for Honma. It's probably part of the reason he ended up with such a serious injury but I can't deny his series with Ishii a few years back was damn entertaining.