Potterverse movies

I don't know if they're really a thing around here, but they are massively popular films so the smart money is that some people will be fans and that still more will have opinions.

Anyway, the next 'Fantastic Beasts' movie in the Potter world is out in the middle of November. It's called the Crimes of Grindelwald and will feature Jude Law as a young Dumbledore.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Love me some Harry Potter but always felt like none of the movies truly nailed the source material down. They seemed to get better as they went along but I had some big problems, particularly with the sidelining of Ron throughout.

@Sir_Samuel

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    For the longest time I had no time for Potter. A friend challenged me to watch them all (I watched the first three as a kid then gave up on them, and the books, of which I had read, I think, the first four or five?). I said I would if they finally watched the Star Wars films.

I trawled through the first two awful films, enjoyed the third and by the time I was on the fourth I could feel myself getting attached to the characters. I loved the fifth, and the remainders were ok. It spurred me on to read all the books again (the seventh is the only one I'd call great, but it really is great) and I was glad to have done so. I underestimated the quality of the world building and emotion of the story. I have a new appreciation for it all.

Though my friend never lived up to her end of the bargain. She still won't watch Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Love me some Harry Potter but always felt like none of the movies truly nailed the source material down. They seemed to get better as they went along but I had some big problems, particularly with the sidelining of Ron throughout.

This is my exact thought on the entire series. The books were awesome and were so intertwined and connected, and the movies just tended to focus on the conflict and not the schooling which sets up the resolutions. Not a big fan of the movies.

Read all the books, didn't watch a single movie lols

Book mega fan (like seriously, read them all dozens of times). Films are OK and generally get better later on the series.

Agree with 'Plan, the seventh book is genius. Completely different to the proceeding 6 books in structure, but encapsulates them all in the final book. Decisions and occurrences made in each book are explained brilliantly in the seventh. It's the only book that brought a tear to my eye.

Y'know, if everyone wants to chat about the books there's a whole bit of the board down there at the bottom ready to go for just that very purpose!

Haha! Sorry, my book knowledge is limited to Harry Potter and Dan Brown novels. Will refrain from mentioning it!

But in terms of the Potter universe as a whole, I think the new films will be better now that they are their own entity, not following on from the books. Fantastic Beasts was probably the best Potter film to date to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    For the longest time I had no time for Potter. A friend challenged me to watch them all (I watched the first three as a kid then gave up on them, and the books, of which I had read, I think, the first four or five?). I said I would if they finally watched the Star Wars films.

I trawled through the first two awful films, enjoyed the third and by the time I was on the fourth I could feel myself getting attached to the characters. I loved the fifth, and the remainders were ok. It spurred me on to read all the books again (the seventh is the only one I'd call great, but it really is great) and I was glad to have done so. I underestimated the quality of the world building and emotion of the story. I have a new appreciation for it all.

Though my friend never lived up to her end of the bargain. She still won't watch Star Wars.
    Many moons ago I got a PM in which this guy talked about how JK was bad at writing, and it made him nuts that she gained fame for doing it so poorly. I was dumbfounded to silence. I'm glad you had a chance to experience the whole series and have a change of heart

I love the books. I enjoy the movies, but none of them came close to matching the books, imo, because too much was cut from each. Particularly the 5th movie, based on Goblet Of Fire- some of the absolute best material was cut from the movie, it annoyed me to no end. 3-6 all fit that category. 7 had a better chance to breathe thanks to 2 movies, though even then stuff was cut that baffled me, like the Dumbledore funeral/elder wand bits. And yeah, the 7th book has to be considered one of the very best pieces of literature in modern times.

Im very much looking forward to this next Fantastic Beasts movie. Seeing those early Dumbledore days on the silver screen is something I hoped they would do. That battle better be epic squared.

Just giving this a bump because Fantastic Beasts 2 is out worldwide between the 14th and 23rd November.