Thread: Rocky

Rocky

I'd be stunned, literally stunned, if there isn't a bit of love for Rocky out there.

I'm not the biggest fan but I do like it. I'm into the first three movies. Don't really do 4 and share the common opinion that 5 was a bit of a waste of time. Then I really got a lot out of Rocky Balboa when they brought it back, could have been low expectations but I was surprised how much I liked it.

I know Creed is highly acclaimed but I never got around to seeing it. Probably need to correct that, especially with the new film coming out later this year.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

How can you not like 4? But yes, you need to see Creed. It is a re-telling of Rocky, but with Michael B Jordan as Rocky and Sly as Micky, and it is pretty good.

Greatest Documentary Ever!

See, that's way better than the actual movie. Hilarious stuff.

The Brain
    Never watched the full series but I really love the first one. Enjoyed Creed a lot as well, it was very well done.

This Rocky 4 slander from PT is kinda surprising lol.

I know, shocking...

The Brain
    Is it though? We know how much Pete loves his realism, and Rocky IV is anything but.

Now I'm wondering what I've done in the past to give you the idea I'd be a fan of the movie....

I'm nowhere near the biggest fan of the series and I think 4 is kinda like where the franchise is sort of on steroids, so that's probably why I don't go for it the way people who love it can.

And I can only really get through 3 because of Hogan and Mr T, if we're being completely frank about it...

Draggo IS on steroids for the movie so your choice of comments is curious.

Also, you are a clear movie fan, and it is just surprising and confusing how you are not a fan of 4. It is a fun movie.

I love Rocky 4 because it has not one, but two awesome training montages. Got them on my phone for working out.

Always loved Duke too, and liked that he helped Rocky after Apollo died. He put Rocky through hell in training.

Yeah I don't think it's much fun. For me, one is good, two is fun, and after that there's a law of diminishing returns until the comeback.

I'd rank them like this. First tier I think are all great, Balboa was good, 3 was meh, and 5 was shit.

Creed
    ---------
    Balboa
    ---------
    ---------

If you remove Creed because I haven't seen it mine is almost identical except the glaring difference on 4, which I'd probably stick right in there with 5....

5 was so awful. I don't know why they thought it was a good idea.

I completely disagree. I think the order of the first 4 are in the correct ranking order.

Rocky is a brilliant movie.

II is a nearly perfect sequel. It shows how a fighter with limited intelligence and lack of schooling cannot rely on the one payday of the fight and the struggles of trying to live outside of boxing, and all the marital and work problems that arise with it.

III is another great sequel where it shows the corruption of boxing by handpicking Rocky’s opponents to protect him as champ, only to learn how to be a great boxer and get redemption.

IV is just fun, and more of a political statement, but an all around fun movie.

Rocky Balboa was really good and it had elements of realism. Balboa comes out of retirement but would have gotten beat badly, but when the champ breaks his hand in the first round, it give Rocky a chance, and ends up showing the the champ is the champ and can actually box after all.

Creed is a retelling f Rocky but with Rocky as Mickey.

5 doesn’t exist.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I dislike 4 immensely, almost as much as 5. If it's a political statement it has all the subtle, ironically, of a hammer. Nauseating, flag waving nonsense that substitutes realism for jingoistic fantasy. Stallone's worst day.

But Creed is awesome. LOVE Creed.

I liked the street fight towards the end of 5. Might be the only redeeming quality. Still have yet to see Balboa or Creed.

Twitter: @libsuperstar

I love the Mickey flashbacks during the street fight in Rocky 5. Best part of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by M.V.W. View Post
    I liked the street fight towards the end of 5. Might be the only redeeming quality. Still have yet to see Balboa or Creed.
    The street fight was ok, but I can give you that, however the rest of the movie exists. And Robert screaming: "He stole my room" to Rocky about Tommy during the fight was the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I love the Mickey flashbacks during the street fight in Rocky 5. Best part of the movie.
    Cannot argue with that. Those were really nice and touching.

But I do not like that they/Sly decided to add the the Gold Boxing Glove Pendant aspect to the movie. That was made up for the movie to add drama/cause tension between Rocky, Tommy and Robert.

Nowhere in the first 3 movies (when Micky was alive) did we see Micky own/wear or give Rocky this Gold Boxing Glove, now all of a sudden he has it? It still doesn't sit well with me.
    Last edited by Powder; 5 Days Ago at 08:04 AM.