Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Major League Baseball - 2018 Season

The baseball thread was going pretty well at the time of the crash, let's hope that it gets going just as well this time around.

Saw the Angels got a shutout on the Rockies, Barria had a great game.

Yankees on a 17-1 run, in the toughest stretch of their season. In their past 4 series, they swept a current wild card team (Angels) and went 3-1 against the defending Champs and current division leaders (Astros), at their ball parks. Then they came home to sweep another division leader (Indians) and take over the AL East & best record in baseball from their most hated rival (Red Sox). Like Andre guzzling 4 jobbers in a squash match, but it was the ELITE of the American League.

Season will be over by the All Star Break. August will be nothing but phantom injuries and minor league call ups, so everyone is rested to main event October.

Trade deadline will be boring in the Bronx, because there will be no one available who is a big enough improvement to justify giving up the prospects. Maybe they package some prospects with Ellsbury and half the money left on his contract, for rosin bag, 1/2 pack of stale cigarettes and 7 oddball beers that have been floating in a cooler for 2-3 weeks.

It was a hell of a start for the Red Sox but they're looking less consistent now. Just when you think that win over the Yankees could be a corner turn they immediately turn around and lose to Toronto. Oh well.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Red Sox back to winning ways after dropping a couple against the A's.

That rain delay seemed to mess things up for the Mets, 12-1 is real one-sided.

If Ohtani finishes as a top 20 AL hitter and top 20 AL pitcher, is that good enough to be MVP? I think it’s an interesting question because we’ve never seen anything like him before. If he does both things good but not great, in my eyes he’d still have to be in the convo because he does both.

I'd go with Top ten and if The Angels make the playoffs. Although I guess Trout will steal some votes.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    If he does both things good but not great, in my eyes he’d still have to be in the convo because he does both.
    I think I'd agree with that, sounds fair enough to me.

Also, what a game for Cleveland, eh?

Got to ask our Mets fans how they're feeling at this stage of the season? I know early on there was a fair bit of confidence....

Meanwhile it feels like the Red Sox are absolutely flying right now.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 06-06-2018 at 04:54 AM.

Gone quiet in here. But I've got a question, so I'm going to be optimistic that someone might check it out and answer.

Do baseball games generally sell out? Or are they the sort of thing that if you find yourself free with a couple of hours before the game you can buy a ticket at the gate, on the day?

Most baseball games don't sell out in most markets, you're lucky to get over 30K for an avg game. Weekends are a bit harder. Course, there's tickets sold.. but yeah, you could find a seat to most games. Even a Yankee/Red Sox game.

I'm too depressed about the mets to even want to talk baseball lol.

Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

If you can stomach it I'd be interested in hearing why people think it's gone wrong for the mets. I drifted away from baseball for a few weeks (just didn't find the time) and before I knew it their record had turned to shit.

Orioles seem to be hurting right now too, as do the Reds and Royals.

Down to historically bad hitting and really overworked bullpen coupled with injuries. Before the 3 game winning streak, the Mets were scoring about 1.5 runs a game and before last night had lost the last 5 Degrom starts when he only gave up a total of 6 runs. it was that bad.

To me, it was part coming back down to where they are. 11-1 start was never sustainable. They're not the worst team in the league but they're also not a playoff team imo.

Whereas I think the Orioles, Reds and Royals are some of the worst teams in baseball for a multitude of reasons.

The DH rule is gaining more support apparently. I don't know if i have enough energy to push back on it.. mainly because teams don't/ can't/don't know how to bunt anymore so the style differences of of the whole thing is becoming moot.
    Last edited by LK3185; 06-19-2018 at 12:03 PM.

The Mets, since 2000 have also had horrible training and are consistently plagued with injuries. In 99-2001, they were supposed to have the big four pitching staff that all got hurt, and then traded away. Then the Beltran debacle, then Wright, and the new pitching staff and Cespedes. It is comical how the Mets always see, to be injured and then get traded away to HUGE success elsewhere.

They also recently don't take charge of their players. Jay Bruce is clearly injured, in the worst slump of his entire career and he was like I don't want to go on the DL... its not up to you! So stupid.

Boston racing out to a four run lead, and now it sounds like a Yankee has been hit by a pitch in the bottom of the first.

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day! One of the greatest contracts ever signed.

or the worst. all about perspective lol.

What are people's thoughts on Tampa Bay basically having bullpen games every other day? If this ever becomes the norm, i'm gonna have to quit watching. I love baseball but I can't watch relievers pitch the entire game on a regular basis... i love watching starters go out there and even pitch a strong 7 innings... if that's no longer possible.. i'd be out.

Red Sox still killing it... can they keep this up?

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    or the worst. all about perspective lol.

What are people's thoughts on Tampa Bay basically having bullpen games every other day? If this ever becomes the norm, i'm gonna have to quit watching. I love baseball but I can't watch relievers pitch the entire game on a regular basis... i love watching starters go out there and even pitch a strong 7 innings... if that's no longer possible.. i'd be out.
    Between that and the shift, the game is starting to be brutal to watch. And there's really nothing the league can do about it.

I think there's thing you could try. Like, i would limit in inning bullpen changes. No more going for matchups, unless its past the 7th inning. Someone starts an inning, they finish it unless they give up like 4 runs. Yeah, its artificially changing the game but the game is slowed down enough, that could be one way to make sure starters go later in games..

As for the shift, I'd at least try to get a rule in where you have to have to have the SS and 3B on the left side of the Infield at all times. You can still shade to the middle but not as much and the second baseman can still play in the grass but having one side of the infield covered is totally ridiclous. Hitters aren't taught to adjust and change to the situation so you have to change the shift rules

Is baseball something that's easy for a new fan (and UK fan) to get into? I've always enjoyed watching it when I get a chance, but my chances are really limited to highlights so I guess I'm not getting the full experience.

Where does someone start? Pick a team and stick with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Is baseball something that's easy for a new fan (and UK fan) to get into? I've always enjoyed watching it when I get a chance, but my chances are really limited to highlights so I guess I'm not getting the full experience.

As a pretty hardcore baseball fan, I still only really watch my team on a regular basis and I would say its a sport that's very regional.. Being every day, its almost like a routine part of life. For you in the UK, I would guess you see the Yankees and Red Sox alot? I know there's MLB online packages that you could get if you wanted to spend money and follow one team... but new fans aren't likely to do that...

I'd say pick a team, but if you're only getting highlights, I don't know if that's enough to really invest.

Don't pick the Red Sox is my only advice. Roster is loaded with sex offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post

If you hate cricket you'd hate baseball, and reverse that.

Wow, 25-4. Quite a result. Someone wanna check on Powder and LK, make sure they are OK?

I know I am, it was a "fun" loss. With every run scored, we fans were laughing more and more. If you watched the end of the game the Mets fans in attendance were cheering for the Mets loudly b/c most of the Nats fans left. lol Also we were like, how bad will this get?

Also Reyes giving up 6 runs!!! His career ERA is now 54!!! Awesome!

A loss like that is easy to laugh off, but also sums up the Mets this year.

Yankees have no pitching and no hitting (right now) and are still on pace to win 100 games.

I don't know how they will get past Wild Card let alone ALDS without any decent pitching what so ever. Severino and Tanaka looks like trash, lately, and I don't know when they will turn it around.

They will get Sanchez and Judge back which will defintely help. As for the pitching, I'd start Happ or make the Wild card game a bullpen game... their biggest strength pitching wise. If i was them, i'd want to avoid the Mariners simply because the Mariners have Paxton who has no hit stuff and a dominant closer.. The A's it would be slugfest but yanks could win that.

i didn't expect the Red Sox to be this good... Mookie Betts has been insane.

I still don't trust Sale and Price in the playoffs though.
    Last edited by LK3185; 08-16-2018 at 06:21 PM.

I have Trevor Bauer on my fantasy team and i'm the #1 seed.. and he's probably done for the year ):

They will get Sanchez and Judge back which will defintely help. As for the pitching, I'd start Happ or make the Wild card game a bullpen game... their biggest strength pitching wise. If i was them, i'd want to avoid the Mariners simply because the Mariners have Paxton who has no hit stuff and a dominant closer.. The A's it would be slugfest but yanks could win that.

i didn't expect the Red Sox to be this good... Mookie Betts has been insane.

I still don't trust Sale and Price in the playoffs though.
    How many playoff games has Sale been in? Small sample size. Price, I agree.

Its not really about playoffs, its that Sale has historically gassed out in September/October.. So maybe its a good thing for the Sox that he's on the DL now.

How bout those A's! Tying the Astros when two months ago they were 12 out. Somehow with a makeshift rotation, they are kicking ass.

Was enjoying having Nesn while I was away. Got used to watching the baseball pretty much every day.

Red Sox getting closer and closer to win #100.

Sox have now clinched the playoffs, and the Yankees are in freefall. Met fans are laughing.

Not laughing so much. David Wright just announced he's playing his final game September 29th. Due to injuries. If he didn't get hurt, he would have been a hall of famer and is in my mind, the best all around player The Mets ever had.

My dumb ass horrible Orioles now have 104 losses. ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR LOSSES!!! And there are still 18 games left to play. SMMFH!

Not laughing so much. David Wright just announced he's playing his final game September 29th. Due to injuries. If he didn't get hurt, he would have been a hall of famer and is in my mind, the best all around player The Mets ever had.
    Very true on all accounts. And the Mets will enshrine him into their Hall, and they should retire his number in 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    My dumb ass horrible Orioles now have 104 losses. ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR LOSSES!!! And there are still 18 games left to play. SMMFH!
    Still not as bad as the 1962 Mets with 140 losses.

120 losses they had. If a team loses 140 games they should be contracted immediately.

Mis-type, but thanks for the correction. A few years ago the Tigers made a run at it, but ended with 119.

Brewers/Cubs

Rockies/Dodgers

Who have you got?

Brewers and Rockies. Two roadies.. but feel like both are playing better and in the Brewers case have a really good bullpen compared to the Cubs mediocre pen.

Either way, should be alot of fun.