Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Agreed....The Brewers and Rockies. Both teams have a lot more desire and heart.

Also, a nice tidbit. Christian Yelich has the Batting Average Title locked up, but he is 1 HR and 2 RBIs off the lead in the NL. Today's game 163 counts for the regular season stats. If Yelich can hit 1 dinger and get 2 RBI's at minimum, then he can win the Triple Crown for the NL, something that hasn't been done since 1937!
    Last edited by Powder; 10-01-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Won't be so easy for Yelich with Arenado and Story still to play later and Baez against him. Regardless, he's the MVP. The reason the Brewers are even in the tiebreaker. Is at the top or near most stats.

Mookie Betts is the AL MVP

I know, but JD Martinez is getting completely overlooked, he almost won the triple crown.

In almost every other metric, Betts leads Martinez. I actually think JD is more important to the team this year cause he gave them a much needed boost but the Award leans heavily on WAR and Betts has the best WAR.

I love the WAR metric, but that is NOT always the best way to determine a players worth. Betts went down to injury this year and only played in 136 games with a slash line of .346/32/80 with a 10.9 WAR to Martinez's 150 games and .330/43/130 with a 6.4 WAR. Yes the WAR for Betts is 4 games higher, but Martinez's numbers do not lie, 50 more RBI, 11 more HRs and only a slightly lower average.

I have no idea to why Martinez wasn't even in the discussion. If he did not go on a HR slump he could have won the Triple crown.

How is it with 50 more RBI Martinez's WAR was lower? is it b/c he DHed a lot?
    Last edited by Powder; 10-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Probably. Defense is also considered in WAR and Betts is one of the best outfielders in the game. I would say that Martinez is a close second. I can't count Trout because his team wasn't contention (Why I hated Stanton winning last year..

The numbers are too close to not go Betts imo.

Also, RBIs is a bit overrated. Does JD get that many RBIs if hitters in front of him aren't on base all the time? No. A telling stat to me is Betts even with less games, still had more extra base hits than Martinez (one more but still) and he had 18 more runs scored.

Finally he had 30 stolen bases.. If he was healthy all the way thru he would have had a good shot at 40.
    Last edited by LK3185; 10-01-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Now we're entering the crunch, anyone willing to stick their neck out yet and make a prediction?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Sure I'll bite. Boston vs Milwaukee in the World Series. Milwaukee wins in 6

Yankees/Dodgers. Yankees in Six.

Red sox don't have the pen to win so if Sale and/or Price are bad, they will have to out slug the Yanks.. Which is doable except the Yanks should have the arms throw at em. Yanks will be hungry to beat the Astros.

Braves are too young to beat the Dodgers and I think the Dodgers will get past the Brewers in a good series.

Woke up to a 16-1 scoreline this morning. Not sure I saw that coming after game 2....

I thought this series would come down to the middle relief, where the Yankees have a decided advantage but it really hasn't in any games. Sure, yankees got close in Game one coming back on that bad pen, but they were down 5-0 after a Bad two innings by Happ. The Yankees blew out David Price in game 2. Severino was awful in Game 3.

So what i'm saying is, the bullpens haven't really had the effect i thought they would. Getting blow out early screws that all up. Yankees if they lose this series will have to focus on Starting pitching and try to find more gap to gap contact hitters. That's one of the reasons Red sox offense is so good. They don't just rely on the homer.

I'm glad you weren't right. Not just because beating the Yankees, and seeing anyone beat them, brings me joy but also because the Sox and Astros is a pretty exciting clash.

Astros in 5.

Sounds like two thirds of the money is on Houston to win, so you can't rule it out.

The series will come down to starting pitching cause I think the Hitting and bullpens are about even (but Astros can throw more names out like Mccullers) If Verlander, Cole and Keuchel pitch well, its gonna be hard for the Sox.

Did any of you hear the:

1. Huge sigh if relief when the game ended last night
    2. The huge bout of evil mastermind laughter emanating from my mouth

coming from Long Island when the Sox beat the Yankees again? If not listen closer next year. lol

Sox in 6 over the Astros. Honestly I do not care who wins, as I am rooting for a great series, but I think the Sox will take it.

Could focus on JBJ grand slam, but how about Eovaldi, eh?

Great outing. Now we got to root for the brewers.

What a catch to end game four of the ALCS. Luckiest and only 6 out save of Kimbrel's career. Red sox all but conceding game 5 but has to be worth it to be up 3-1 on the defending champs. Astros bullpen magic isn't there this season.

Yeah that catch really needed to be labelled NSFW, it was so good.

Big night for Price and the Sox are American League Champions. Pretty finely poised as to who joins them at the moment.

Think either way, Red sox win the series. I've been wrong all postseason but that's because i went off of history (Sale doing it with basically 75% stuff and Price redemming himself.)... No one is playing better than the sox. The hitting can't be stopped and the pitching is doing just enough. Middle relief isn't imploding like i thought it would.

Brewers prob would have better chance imo.. their bullpen is legit but they don't have the starters to give those guys a break.. so Counsell overmanages.

World Series starts tonight...

Let's Go Red Sox.

Sox in 5

I say 6.

Sox in 5 (maybe even 4)

I have a feeling that LA wins tonight. Not what I want, but what I think will happen.

The real post season David Price will show up, and give up 3-4 runs within the first 2 innings and get pulled. Ryu will pitch a gem.

Saw a stat where the bottom of the Red sox order is awful against lefties and that the Astros and Yankees couldn't take advantage of that late... it was something like 1-9 with 5 K's last night.. course the counter is the rest of the lineup hit Kershaw around lol.

I do think the Dodgers being able to use more effective lefties is in their favor though.

2-0. That prediction of Price having a bad game didn't really materialise. Just the two runs in six decent innings.

He was good. Probably been the biggest surprise as to the Red Sox postseason success.

I am happy to be wrong in my prediction. I want the Sox to win. I was watching my sports app as I was at the Islander game. Talk about a shitty performance. Taking a 2-0 lead into the thrid then losing it and losing in OT. *Facepalm*

Wow, what a hell of a season that was for Boston. Dominant stuff.

Have to get a bit of distance then assess how good they are against other championship winning teams.

They had a dominant season, but I do not think they are an all time great team. They could be in a discussion of the top 25-50 teams all time, but no where near the top 10.

Since the 3 division play came into the league in the mid-90s, the 98 Yankees have been the only true dominant team of that era. When the 2018 Yankees and the Astros winning 100 games and 103 games respectively, proves that the split and the difference between the haves and the have nots is huge.

I think the Red Sox were destined to win the WS, but they are not an all time team. Playing such an unbalanced schedule where both the Sox and the Yankees play Toronto and Baltimore 16 times a year is not really fair. That is 32 games against terrible teams and both teams, especially the Sox built their records against them.

Their offense was very good and balanced but alot of things had to happen on the pitching side for them to win the world series. Having to add Steve Pearce and Nathan Evoladi to ensure a title win doesn't help their case.. And if Sale and Price weren't good when it mattered, they probably don't even make it.

They're not beating the 2017 Astros.. Probably not beating the 2016 Cubs either. That's just off the top of my head.

That's more like the kind of comparisons I was thinking about rather than all-timers. That and against other Sox teams.

The game is different now in alot of ways, that its hard to compare than ever before. The last 5 to 10 years is a good sample size. Beyond that, the way teams shift, the way hitting is taught.. Pitching specialization.. The Red Sox are a complete offense, great outfield defense and a pitching staff that found a way to get it done. I imagine teams with better pitching and balanced offense could take them down.

The Yankees this year didn't have the starting pitching needed and their hitting is the new way of mash the ball and care not for anything else that can be easily exposed. Astros bullpen and starters let them down in a way they didn't last year. The Dodgers were probably the worst team the Red Sox had to face with the suspect bullpen and an inconsistent offense.
    Last edited by LK3185; 10-29-2018 at 02:30 PM.

I'm not so sure that teams from 20-25 years ago are that much different. I would bet that the 95 Braves, the 97 Marlins, or the 2001 Diamondback would all beat the 2018 Red Sox. Yes they all had power and pitching, but they also understood small ball.

I completely discounted the Yankees dynasty from 1996-2003 because of how dominant they were.

Today's game relies too heavily on Sabremetrics. Sometimes you need to "feel" the game. When to hit and run, when to bunt. ETC. I have said it for 20+ years, when the defense overshifts lefties, they should bunt every time. The batter could then walk to first, increase his average, and OBP, and also make the pitcher pitch with runners on AND it stops the overshift. So then the defense is playing regular D, the holes open back up. Simple. Sabremetrics will never show that.
    Last edited by Powder; 10-29-2018 at 02:36 PM.

its ingrained in the hitters now that a homerun is the goal.. Just look at how the Dodgers approached a 4 run deficit. its like they had no choice but to swing for the fences.

Older teams would adjust, I just don't really count them for the Red Sox sake, really.

As it was already a forgone conclusion....deGrom won the Cy Young with 29 out of 30 first place votes! That is pathetic that 1 idiot voted for Scherzer. deGrom was dominant.

Best stats about deGrom.

NL-leading ERA of 1.70
    29 straight starts of 3 runs or less allowed (single-season record)
    24 consecutive quality starts
    Allowed one run or less in 18 of 32 starts

deGrom made 32 starts this season.
    He allowed 0 runs in 8 starts
    He allowed 1 run in 10 starts
    He allowed 2 runs in 5 starts
    He allowed 3 runs in 8 starts
    He allowed 4 runs in 1 start
    He never allowed more than four runs in any start

But the true showing of his dominance:

If the Mets scored 4 runs per game DeGrom would have been 30-0.
    If the Mets scored 3 runs per game DeGrom would have been 25-1.
    If the Mets scored 2 runs per game DeGrom would have been 20-6.

That is dominance, how can you give a throw away vote to Scherzer? Why b/c of his outdated win-loss record? Please